• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: No Mother 3 localization happening anymore, Rhythm Heaven franchise dead

NoKisum

Wait, transgender characters are why this game never came West? I thought it had something to do with music licensing. The existence of a trans character sounds way easier to deal with than mountains of legal documents for small pieces of music.

Wait, transgender characters are why this game never came West? I thought it had something to do with music licensing. The existence of a trans character sounds way easier to deal with than mountains of legal documents for small pieces of music.

Let's be clear. The rumors the author heard that Mother 3 localized isn't coming and Rhythm Heaven is dead happened in 2015, where the author happened to hear that NoA had last stopped during the Magypsies portion of the game.

He is not saying that the game localization is kaputz because of transgender issues, he's saying HE IS ASSUMING THE CURRENT CLIMATE WILL PREVENT SUCH A RELEASE AT ALL.

Rumor.

Yukinari

A lot of people thought music liscensing or some of the sprites were the same reason Earthbound didnt come to VC.

Meanwhile none of that was the case and Nintendo just didnt give a shit until people spammed miiverse for it.

JB2448

Bullshit. Also the Magypsies would be a bizarre choice to 'cancel' a localisation considering they would know they existed before they got any work done 🙄
Also a great point. Before the decision to begin a localization takes place, potential problems are identified. That we have two diametrically opposed rumors (one from Eurogamer and Laura Kate Dale that a localization has already finished, and this new one from Destructoid that states that a localization was canned after finding out about one specific detail) is just odd.

NoKisum

It was fairly obvious even back when I played it 5+ years ago. They're harmless in-game of course, but as soon as I saw them I knew they would be the reason it would never see the light of day in the US.

These bolded parts feel like they're contradicting themselves. Am I missing something?

Hey I'm pretty sure Tsunku's throat issues aren't going to stop Rhythm Heaven. Megamix came out in Japan AFTER he lost his voice so I'd say it's still possible. He also took part in the second-to-last Iwata Asks where he performed it by exchanging written responses with Iwata.

Geg

Read this earlier. I call bullshit. He pretends there weren't any plan to localize Mother 3 since 2015 while a lot of far more reputable sources said otherwise, and the part about Iwata being the only guy behind the project smells like fanboy's thoughts about how a game company works.

Destructoid is also a terrible source for leaks.

EDIT :

EDIT 2 :

Not saying I believe the rumor but I don't count the people saying Mother 3 localization was coming as reputable sources.

Everyone always forgets the swarm of false rumors around the Switch announcement presentation

LordKano

Not saying I believe the rumor but I don't count the people saying Mother 3 localization was coming as reputable sources.

Everyone always forgets the swarm of false rumors around the Switch announcement presentation

I don't forget anything, but the Mother 3 rumor came from absolutely everyone, including reputable sources such as Eurogamer.

The Hermit

Everyone who played Mother3 knew it would never be localized, so yeah.

I kinda expected Rythm heaven to be dead since the last was a compilation, but I am still sad though :(

Malakai

Let's be clear. The rumors the author heard that Mother 3 localized isn't coming and Rhythm Heaven is dead happened in 2015, where the author happened to hear that NoA had last stopped during the Magypsies portion of the game.

He is not saying that the game localization is kaputz because of transgender issues, he's saying HE IS ASSUMING THE CURRENT CLIMATE WILL PREVENT SUCH A RELEASE AT ALL.

Rumor.

Actually, it is call speculation...

brad-t

I doubt that the issue with the Magypsies — if, hypothetically speaking, they're inhibiting localizing the title — is that they're transgender. Probably more to do with something like ...

PUVJWR1.png

Their whole character is really outlandish, although I personally think they're very funny and warm-hearted. There's also the "oxygen machines" underwater.

That said, this article doesn't seem that credible to me. But it'll be a nice surprise if Mother 3 ever does get localized.

Also a great point. Before the decision to begin a localization takes place, potential problems are identified. That we have two diametrically opposed rumors (one from Eurogamer and Laura Kate Dale that a localization has already finished, and this new one from Destructoid that states that a localization was canned after finding out about one specific detail) is just odd.

Believing LKD's software rumors? LOL

leroidys

Read this earlier. I call bullshit. He pretends there weren't any plan to localize Mother 3 since 2015 while a lot of far more reputable sources said otherwise, and the part about Iwata being the only guy behind the project smells like fanboy's thoughts about how a game company works.

Destructoid is also a terrible source for leaks.

EDIT :

EDIT 2 :

This. Not saying that it will definitely get localized, but I can't find this "leak" credible.

JB2448

Believing LKD's software rumors? LOL
I don't. Look at my post history. She's a good journalist (and a great writer), but her trigger finger with the Switch rumors definitely leads me to take any leaks she reports with a huge grain of salt.
The same Eurogamer who got Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon pretty much exactly wrong?
Thank you. Eurogamer doubled down on it to me personally (again, somewhere in my post history), and I've been pretty disappointed about it since.

NoKisum

I doubt that the issue with the Magypsies is that they're transgender. Probably more to do with something like ...

PUVJWR1.png

Their whole character is really outlandish, although I personally think they're very funny and warm-hearted. There's also the "oxygen machines" underwater lol:

7loSgRt.png

That said, this article doesn't seem that credible to me. But it'll be a nice surprise if Mother 3 ever does get localized.

Either I'm extremely insensitive, or this doesn't seem all that offensive. I was expecting some over the top slurs and misogyny and whatnot the way everyone is talking about the situation. This just seems... Silly.

scamander

Banned
Not sure about Mother 3, but I'm pretty confident we haven't seen the last of Rhythm Paradise. I just hope they ditch the shitty 'three tries for a perfect' mechanic. Especially should they opt to lock bonus games behind it, ever again. Seriously, often enough I make stupid mistakes ONLY because I'm under pressure to get it right. I will probably never see all the games that come with Megamix, which is a shame, because it is my first Rhythm Paradise. (I did buy the DS and Wii games in the meantime; haven't played them yet, though).

13ruce

Banned
After finally releasing earthbound beginnings (and earthbound on wiiu and 3ds) on Wii U they might aswell translate and release Mother 3 on Switch and 3DS.

Doubt this is real tho as others said rhythm heaven sold a nice amount in japan alone already.

LordKano

Weren't they the ones who said Stars was coming?

The same Eurogamer who got Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon pretty much exactly wrong?

One mistake doesn't negate the tons of rumors they digged right. And they only got one piece of information wrong out of everything. Nice cherrypicking. If you're willing to disregard Eurogamer for Stars, then you have to disregard this rumor for the tons of bollocks Destructoid has spouted.

jholmes

If so this would help explain why this company is so reluctant to do anything that makes me want to give it money over the last couple years.

brad-t

Either I'm extremely insensitive, or this doesn't seem all that offensive. I was expecting some over the top slurs and misogyny and whatnot the way everyone is talking about the situation. This just seems... Silly.

Its potential to cause offense would likely come from their stereotypical portrayal, not because the characters themselves say or do offensive things.

have a hard time believing this. With Rhythm Heaven having decent JP sales and all.
Bought the DS , Wii and 3DS megamix games myself. Would hate to see it go

It's a GBA game. You can play the thing in English on your smartwatch if you really want to.

I'd be asking for Mother 4. Translating an old af game really isn't worth Nintendo's time. It's sad that they passed up on it at the time, but you need to let it go.

The fan translation is amazing, and we know how obnoxious Nintendo are with the mother 3 stuff so yeah.

I'd love a M4 but i think it's dead.

Kusagari

It's bullshit. Reggie literally said in January, 'Talk to me in a year about Metroid and Mother 3 and we'll see what happened'.

Source: http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1333782

Then we got two Metroid games announced at E3.

You connect the dots.

The dots are that Reggie can now say he gave Metroid fans what he wanted and oh well about Mother 3.

Reggie has given so much false hope about Mother 3 for 10+ years and people keep falling for it. Stop getting your hopes up.

Dantrist

"It was actually back in 2015 that they first started telling me that Mother 3 would not be leaving Japan and that the Rhythm Heaven series was on indefinite hold. The thing is though, these kinds of decisions can be reversed at any time, so I've been holding out hope that as Nintendo gets their feet on the ground with the Switch, they may have a change of heart. It wasn't until yesterday that I finally let those hopes go, when I heard from yet another source that I should give up on both franchises for good."

• This decision was initially made in 2015
  • They release Rhythm Heaven Megamix on 3DS in 2016 anyway (3DS being pretty late in its life by then already).
  • Megamix sells reasonably well
  • Nintendo has very succesfull launch of Switch in 2017
  • Rhythm Heaven franchise is dead
Makes no sense at all to me. I hope it's not true, because Rhythm Heaven is sweet.

zelas

I love how some people are so quick to dismiss positive nintendo rumors but will readily believe any negative one
What are you talking about?? Look at pokemon. Pokemon something is rumored every year. People dont care because its not a surprise that nintendo is working on evergreen titles. They're going to make new mario game after odyssey. Is that shocking?

Stop acting victimized.

120v

i think mother 3 will get localized but it's kind of a hail mary guessing whenever it happens

so i mean saying "yeah, its not happening" is the safest armchair prediction in the world because years go by you won't be "wrong"

Top Bottom