• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: No Mother 3 localization happening anymore, Rhythm Heaven franchise dead

I think it'll happen.
Nintendo is bringing Star Fox 2 out of nowhere and brought us Mother 1. I think they'll mess with Mother 3. Since this time they don't have to release it on a dead console.

The problem is, both Star Fox 2 and Mother 1 were complete games when they got cancelled. Mother 3 they have a localization to do, since they won't make use of the fan translation already out there.

MisterHero

Yeah unfortunately Japan and US are more tolerant of various topics. Well, tolerant is not the right word. "More open to use?". They [supposedly] just can't agree on Magypsies though. Tragic.

If it was so bad, I'd still have it translated, have it Rated M for US audiences, and sell it at a premium, so it only sells to people looking for it. Better than no release

Salarians

Depicting Trans characters in a way that would likely insult both the political Left and the Right in the U.S., is the last kind of attention that Nintendo wants for themselves in 2017. They want nothing to do with those kinds of headlines and potential protests.
hlo2fzU.png
200.gif

FSLink

Banned
Maybe Sakurai could add Chorus Boys in Smash Switch to help give the franchise a boost.

Refuse to believe Mother 3 isn't coming eventually. C'mon Nintendo.

I think it'll happen.
Nintendo is bringing Star Fox 2 out of nowhere and brought us Mother 1. I think they'll mess with Mother 1. Since this time they don't have to release it on a dead console.

It also doesn't make much sense for Nintendo to go "Yeah, those Earthbound fanboys really want Mother 1! Let's dig out of our archives and release this!" without having eventual plans to release Mother 3 as well. Mother 3 is the one people want.

Jazzem

Maybe Sakurai could add Chorus Boys in Smash Switch to help give the franchise a boost.

Still can't believe Rhythm Heaven didn't get a stage in Smash 4...I understand the lack of a character but god there's so much potential for a really visually + mechanically interesting level there

I don't want to picture a world where WarioWare, Ouendan, and Rhythm Heaven are all dead.

:(

God, if I went back ten years to tell myself this'd be the case I'd be so devastated :(

Eolz

I don't trust that rumor personally (particularly the Rhythm Heaven bit), I just posted it because I thought it was worth sharing.
Rumor is the first word of the thread title after all.

Almond

I don't know how reliable this person is, or his "source", but everything about this article comes off as more of an opinion to me, not rumor. It even says opinion in the link.

Sure, the fate of these games is still up in the air, but I don't think this article is worth getting worked up about.

TheChaos

Hah, I knew it was because of the Magypsies. Trans issues are a hot topic right now and it would potentially cause a big-time shitstorm for Nintendo.

It's been a while but I remember one of the Magypsies perving on Lucas at one point. That would...not be a good look for Nintendo.

I could live without an official Mother 3 localization but fuck off Nintendo if it's true you have killed off the Rhythm franchise. I need more Rhythm games announced for the Switch.

Nairume

Banned
The problem is, both Star Fox 2 and Mother 1 were complete games when they got cancelled. Mother 3 they have a localization to do, since they won't make use of the fan translation already out there.
Wasn't the rumor was that they were already far along in the localization process?

Rhythm Heaven is a decently successful IP in Japan. So yeah, I don't believe this for a second. The series might be on hiatus, but it's not finished.

2017 will go down as the year I stopped taking most Nintendo rumors seriously.

Refyref

I can see why they'd want to leave Mother 3 alone, too much baggage, but Rhythm Heaven is a nice selling low tier series in Japan, so I call bullshit on that.

I'm beyond caring about mother 3 at this point. I played it and enjoyed it. Everyone else should do the same.

As for rhythm heaven that's a strange one because they all seem to have done pretty well.

From what I've played, I like the Magypsies. But, yeah, I can see why both sides would get upset. In one way, they are representing trans people so the bigots will get upset, and, in an other, they are pretty stereotypical, making the left mad.

That sounds pretty sketchy. Has there ever been a time where one of THOSE nintendo rumors that spin some internal narrative about how such and such devs/employees feel and detailing internal company politics in order to provide some kind of context to leaks ended up true?

Yeah unfortunately Japan and US are more tolerant of various topics. Well, tolerant is not the right word. "More open to use?". They [supposedly] just can't agree on Magypsies though. Tragic.

If it was so bad, I'd still have it translated, have it Rated M for US audiences, and sell it at a premium, so it only sells to people looking for it. Better than no release

The problem isn't just changing the rating, as a game will still receive controversy even if it's rated M. There's also no way in hell the game would be rated M.

ASaiyan

Banned
A Nintendo rumor is about as good as a statement from Donald Trump, as far I'm considered. We will hear the exact opposite thing tomorrow.

Still, I remain of the opinion Mother 3 is never happening in the West. More Rhythm Heaven, who knows, lol. How did that 3DS one sell?
Rhythm Heaven Megamix sold 650k in Japan alone.
Okay, so then probably more Rhythm Heaven, lol. For Japan at the very least.

ITT I learned that cross-dressing and being trans are the same thing

Also, here's the solution:

- Switch is Region Free

- Release game in Europe

- People who actually want it, and likely won't give a shit about the stuff Nintendo is worried about, will import it

LordKano

Reggie teased the release of Mother 3 enough that there should be no doubt that it's coming at some point. It's only a question of when.

”Oh, so earlier today I got asked about Mother 3; maybe you can ask me about Metroid. Look, again, I am proud as an executive with Nintendo to say that we look at all of the boards and all of the comments and we really have a good understanding of what our consumers want. And believe me, we take that to heart as we work to create content.

”So I have nothing to announce–here. But we are aware that there are some key IP that consumers just can't wait for the next true installment in that franchise's legacy. Suffice it to say, we're aware of it, and talk to me in a year and let's look back and see what's happened."

https://www.vg247.com/2017/01/16/re...onsole-wont-have-large-gaps-between-releases/ (from last January)

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Rhythm Heaven Megamix sold 650k in Japan alone. Nintendo publish a lot of titles that barely reach half that and costs way more.

This whole article is bullshit.

I am with you on this
The rhythm heaven part sounds unreliable looking at sales numbers

Vena

What a bunch of pussies. I always felt and believed that Reggie will always and only do just enough "safe" projects to keep his job. Fucking lapdog to his overlords, not even good enough to be called a Mid-Boss.

Read the thread, at least.

Has Destructoid had any their rumours right before? Especially about Nintendo?

I am never going back to that site again, they have completely lost it after quitting the UK arm.

EDIT:

And it is still a rumour. But of course certain part of GAF will jump to conclusions, especially if it's something negative about Nintendo...

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Not buying this at all. Reggie teased Metroid for 2 years and here we are with 2 new Metroid games coming.

He also teased Mother 3. It's coming.

Nicolada

I finally let go of hope for an official English release for this game a couple years ago. I've already played it enough times that I have like no desire to play it again anyway.

What a bunch of pussies. I always felt and believed that Reggie will always and only do just enough "safe" projects to keep his job. Fucking lapdog to his overlords, not even good enough to be called a Mid-Boss.

NOJ is in charge, not NOA. This should not be a shocker.
Yeah it's not like one of the two franchises he's mentionning has got new games announced in the meantime like he said or anything.

It's called a coincidence. Reggie mentioning Mother 3 just because someone can't move on doesn't mean anything.

Jazzem

It wouldn't surprise me if the Rhythm Heaven staff probably just want to create something else at the moment, kind of like how Metroid games only happened when Sakomoto or Tanabe were keen to make them. Megamix being partially a compilation may have been a hint at that in a sense.

I'd be alright with the series taking a small break, I just dearly hope it's not for too long D: I want one w/razor sharp HD art.

Dyle

I can buy that SPD 1 was disbanded since we know that Nintendo made some big changes to their internal development pipeline, but saying that Rhythm Heaven is dead because of that seems like a bit of a stretch. Franchises go on hiatus all the time and the series was always niche anyway. The Mother 3 explanation, particularly the way it's worded, sounds like total nonsense though in the way the source calls them trans rather than non-binary. The Magypsies have clearly always been the reason why it was never localized, so implying that they were in the middle of localizing it before they realized that major characters were so difficult to write sounds like absolute garbage. Nintendo has taken major steps forward in promoting diversity and including it in their games so I have a hard time seeing how "management has gotten less adventurous" lately.

Top Bottom