• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: No Mother 3 localization happening anymore, Rhythm Heaven franchise dead

Biske

At this point, unless the Virtual Console relaunches with Mother 3 as its show piece, its abject idiocy and failure.

Hell you can argue not having the VC yet is that already, but damn. May as well let Square Enix run the show if they are that intend on bungling things.

The Rhythm Heaven bit doesn't make sense. I don't know the sales of the series in the west but the sales in Japan have been pretty good. It makes no sense to cancel the series.

okp66FD.gif

Neoxon

Rhythm Heaven is pretty much low investment with high returns, especially in Japan. I don't see any reason to stop the franchise besides giving Tsunku time to kick throat cancer's ass (which would be more of taking a break than killing RH).

-shadow-

No more Rhythm... No more... But... Rhythm Paradise... YOU'RE ALL MONSTERS THOSE THAT HAVEN'T BOUGHT IT! :(

Edit: Oh and really, again with other 3. Just take the shit or get off the pot already. Sweet lord, what a disaster that ride has been the past decade.

Piers

As usual,
Journalist: Release this game yes?
PR/Oversea branch: Could do, maybe!

Journalist: Release this game yes?
The actual company: No.

I can see a world where Rhythm Heaven localizations are done. They have tried three times but the DS release being a bomba (even with Beyonce included in marketing) which in Europe was flooding €5 or even €1 bargain bins along with Jam with the Band and subsequant releases were scaled back culminating in the 3DS game not even getting physical release in America and I didn't pay full price for my European copy (though I did end up getting a German version).

Good thing we live in a region free world now and the game is simple and almost completely audio and visual. Although I can understand some despair at localisations failing to take place.

Also the Mother series is a series I've been meaning to get into but haven't because of other games. Which leads me to my question. What are Magypsies?
I'm lazy so I just copy and paste what a party member says early in the game (thanks wikia):
They're neither human nor beast, neither man nor woman. I have absolutely no idea how old they are. That explanation didn't explain much, did it? Basically, they're strange. All of them. Every one of them. That's just how they are. They ARE good-natured, though.
Their appearances are masculine complete with facial hair but dress and behave feminine so stereotypical crossdresser.

I don't remember what pronoun they used refering to the magipsies. But I think that's what the article referes to.
According to wikia both he and she are used.

Remember when Destructoid said Beyond Good and Evil 2 was Nintendo Exclusive? I sure do.

Laura Kate Dale under Destructoid, who now works for Kotaku.

Now, I'm not saying we need to believe this rumor, but if we pointed out every rumor every news outlet/writer got wrong, no one would ever believe anything.

So Iwata, the President of the entiriety of Nintendo, was the driving force between looking into a Mother 3 localization. And he felt so strongly about it that he told NoA to look into it. Not just do it.

Look into it.

Okay.

And NoA didn't know the actual content of this mythical, beloved JPN-only Nintendo game, instead getting well into localization before encountering these characters and givng up in bafflement. And instead of getting creative or changing things, they just gave up on localizing this game that their boss's boss's boss told them that he's really pulling for.

Alright.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Rhythm Heaven is really sad news, but given what happened to Tsunku I think it was going to happen anyway. Like all Nintendo franchises, it can always come back.

Mother 3 is depressing but unsurprising.

Laura Kate Dale under Destructoid, who now works for Kotaku.

Now, I'm not saying we need to believe this rumor, but if we pointed out every rumor every news outlet/writer got wrong, no one would ever believe anything.

Yes and LKD has gotten quite a few things right too though. I've heard no rumors from this person before and that makes me question the validity. Surely everything starts somewhere, but I dunno. I just don't buy into rumors easily.

Danielsan

Can't believe NOE hasn't done something about this whole debacle yet. Either way, looks like I'll be picking up a fan translation card, because Nintendo clearly does not give a shit.

Can't believe NOE hasn't done something about this whole debacle yet. Either way, looks like I'll be picking up a fan translation card, because Nintendo clearly does not give a shit.

Call me a crazy man, but I'm like 90% sure NoE has a translation they're just sitting on until NCL basically says "go for it."

Yes and LKD has gotten quite a few things right too though. I've heard no rumors from this person before and that makes me question the validity. Surely everything starts somewhere, but I dunno. I just don't buy into rumors easily.

So, instead of targeting the site as a whole, perhaps you should, hmm... research this specific person's track record with game rumors?

JB2448

This sounds like a rumor meant to provoke an official response.
I was thinking that too.

This source sounds like he's spouting his opinion and isn't informed of the situation. The Treehouse streams have mentioned in the past that employees are usually only aware of the projects they're personally working on in order to control leaks. So even if that source is an NoA Treehouse employee, that's far from a definitive statement about the true future for either IP.

That being said, I personally don't think Mother 3 is coming. It's been too long and there's no active system with the current hardware capabilities or user base to support the potential release from a return on investment standpoint.
Rhythm Heaven, though? Yeah, that's not going anywhere. I'd expect a Switch entry in the system's third or fourth year.

Opa-Pa

All past rumors pointed that it was NoE that was in charge of Mother 3's localization though? Hmmm.

Rhythm Heaven is pretty much low investment with high returns, especially in Japan. I don't see any reason to stop the franchise besides giving Tsunku time to kick throat cancer's ass (which would be more of taking a break than killing RH).

This too.

Zeroro

This really is the darkest timeline if both Warioware and Rhythm Heaven are done. Megamix was one of my favorite games from last year.

I'v always felt like Mother 3's gonna come out of nowhere, when most people don't expect it, similar to how they handled Earthbound and Mother coming to the virtual console.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Rhythm Heaven had to die in order for Sakamoto to be able to greenlight Samus Returns after Other M tanked.

ksamedi

Lol at rhythm heaven being dead. That game has great sales and it has low development costs A rhythm heaven on Switch will probably di a million in Japan alone.

linko9

The fan translation is probably better than anything NoA would put out. That's not a knock against NoA, it's just that that localization is probably the best fan effort I've ever seen, and there's probably nothing an official localization could do to improve it. The RH speculation seems silly.

NateDrake

My hunch is that some of this info is extrapolated by the source/s. There may be no current Rhythm Heaven in development and they are taking that to mean there are no future plans for the franchise.

Tohsaka

Would be nice if it does get an official localization someday, but the fan translation is excellent and has been available for years so it's not a big deal if it never happens.

watershed

Banned
I don't believe either rumor to be honest. Nintendo likes to release their own takes on genres and the Rhythm Heaven games are seemingly inexpensive and popular and Nintendo's only 1st party take on rhythm music genre. It also fits with Nintendo's quirky identity which hasn't gone anywhere since Iwata's passing.

Mother 3 is more complicated but I still see it happening some day because of Earthbound Beginnings and the huge fan goodwill it would create.

I'm lazy so I just copy and paste what a party member says early in the game (thanks wikia):

Their appearances are masculine complete with facial hair but dress and behave feminine so stereotypical crossdresser.

According to wikia both he and she are used.

Why the Hell doesn't Nintendo use this to get their foot in the door with these issues? I haven't played this game so I do not know how they are depicted in them but they are describe as good people.

Yes, if they are given a stereo type appearance from the era this game was made that will suck. But if they are depicted as good people on a character level and not depectied as a stereo type character wise put them in. It would be a hit on the chin if they did do this but in my opinion ofcourse maybe once the shock and introduction of Trans character are made in the west into a Nintendo franchise that really could open the door for them to take a step foward in depicting a propper trans character in their games. I am all for inclusion and I would love for Nintendo to branch out and tackle some of these issues head on. I know they won't.

If I am off beat about this please inform me without writing me off. The possibility of characters like this has greatly spiked my interest in the game.

I was just thinking of adding in 2 gay male characters as a couple and as party members in the script/text I'm writing. I'll do some research into this.

Gradon

Bullshit. Also the Magypsies would be a bizarre choice to 'cancel' a localisation considering they would know they existed before they got any work done 🙄

PixelatedBookake

Hey if these rumors are true, at least we have the fan-translation. The Magypsies were handled great in that but do I have faith in Nintendo to approach that topic carefully? Hmmm... nah

Why the Hell doesn't Nintendo use this to get their foot in the door with these issues? I haven't played this game so I do not know how they are depicted in them but they are describe as good people.

Yes, if they are given a stereo type appearance from the era this game was made that will suck. But if they are depicted as good people on a character level and not depectied as a stereo type character wise put them in. It would be a hit on the chin if they did do this but in my opinion ofcourse maybe once the shock and introduction of Trans character are made in the west into a Nintendo franchise that really could open the door for them to take a step foward in depicting a propper trans character in their games. I am all for inclusion and I would love for Nintendo to branch out and tackle some of these issues head on. I know they won't.

If I am off beat about this please inform me without writing me off. The possibility of characters like this has greatly spiked my interest in the game.

I was just thinking of adding in 2 gay male characters as a couple and as party members in the script/text I'm writing. I'll do some research into this.

They are depicted as extremely stereotypical, because that's how Japan recognizes that particular group when it comes to media. It's not just a past thing either, as they continue to do so with everything, a current example being Dragon Quest 11 and how they portray a group of gay/overly flamboyant men.

Good-natured yes, but very stereotypical. As in they still have facial hair and male builds but act feminine. In this political climate, I don't fault Nintendo whatsoever for keeping it on the shelf.

If the rumor is true, obv.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Come on, people. Mother 3 was never coming.

As for Rhythm Heaven, we'll get another one eventually.

They are depicted as extremely stereotypical, because that's how Japan recognizes that particular group when it comes to media. It's not just a past thing either, as they continue to do so with everything, a current example being Dragon Quest 11 and how they portray a group of gay/overly flamboyant men.

Good-natured yes, but very stereotypical. As in they still have facial hair and male builds but act feminine. In this political climate, I don't fault Nintendo whatsoever for keeping it on the shelf.

If the rumor is true, obv.

I see that now. I just checked in here after a short Google search. The way things are now and with Trump and what he did with Trans, the military, and other things I can't fault Nintendo at all. I'll edit my first post too.

Top Bottom