• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: No Mother 3 localization happening anymore, Rhythm Heaven franchise dead

Vena

Ya, they totally canceled this series:

2015:
01./00. [3DS] Rhythm Heaven: The Best+ <ACT> (Nintendo) {2015.06.11} (¥5.076) - 157.591 / NEW <81,56%>
2016:
19./22. [3DS] Rhythm Heaven: The Best+ <ACT> (Nintendo) {2015.06.11} (¥4.700) - 3.433 / 650.961

Ya, no. I am calling bullshit.

Why is he talking about rumors he heard from 2015? And why would they be weary of magypsies if they had that entire equence of Crossdressing in Breath of the Wild? These things don't make sense to me.

Burning Justice

the superior princess
Yeah, this whole rumor reads like fan-fiction.

If Iwata really thought a Mother 3 localization was viable, it would've happened. And I know the Magypsies might be an issue, but everyone at NOA collectrively dropping the game "as soon as they got to the Magypsies" sounds ridiculous.

But Magypsies are not trans women...? They're gender nonconforming beings that transcend the binary, so I don't get what they're saying.

If anything, they should just revise the script to erase any problematic casually transphobic dialogue and that's it.

LordKano

It's not like NoA didn't already have a past of severely altering LGBT script in their games (see -> Fire Emblem Fates).

FSLink

Banned
It's been a decade. Let it go.

Nah, can't tell me what to do.

There's been too much teasing to not eventually do something about it, so still have some hope.

In the mean time I'll live. I have a Mother 3 Gameboy Micro and a fan translated cart.

It's not like NoA didn't already have a past of severely altering LGBT script in their games (see -> Fire Emblem Fates).

Yep, if it's not eventually coming, I doubt it'd be because of this.

Codeblue

I don't recall Tomato's localization possessing and transphobia. I don't even recall any characters being specifically called out as trans. It's been a while since I've played it though, was it pretty blatant?

I can say I can see NoA not bothering to translate Mother 3 if only because I see the exact scenario of Nintendo of Europe doing it instead. And yeah Magypsies. If NoA, if they were translating this, were afraid of how this would look, they can just alter it to make them seem more above human concepts.

Eolz

Reggie teased the release of Mother 3 enough that there should be no doubt that it's coming at some point. It's only a question of when.

https://www.vg247.com/2017/01/16/re...onsole-wont-have-large-gaps-between-releases/ (from last January)

To be fair, that's a classic PR speech from Reggie, and "teasing" this way sometimes means nothing at all, as seen in the past .

edit:
Weren't they the one saying BG&E2 was gonna be Switch exclusive?

Laura Kate Dale was, who's now working for Kotaku.
I guess every Kotaku rumor is unreliable now as well.

LordKano

Weren't they the one saying BG&E2 was gonna be Switch exclusive?

That was LKD under Destructoid's name yeah.

To be fair, that's a classic PR speech from Reggie, and "teasing" this way sometimes means nothing at all, as seen in the past .

This very specific teasing led to the announcement of two Metroid games at E3, barely six months after this quote.

True Fire

It's a GBA game. You can play the thing in English on your smartwatch if you really want to.

I'd be asking for Mother 4. Translating an old af game really isn't worth Nintendo's time. It's sad that they passed up on it at the time, but you need to let it go.

Ok I read threw the thread. If Destructiod isn't or doesn't have a credible track record then why even post one of their rumors here?

Also the Mother series is a series I've been meaning to get into but haven't because of other games. Which leads me to my question. What are Magypsies?

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Looking at the source, they apparently heard about it ever since 2015 which sound fishy as heck. Why choose to share it now rather than two years ago?

D-Man

I call bullshit on all of this. It sounds fake as hell but it would also make me incredibly upset as a big fan of both games.

BTA

I don't care about Mother 3 in itself but this rings pretty false given how we've had several reputable people say that they know the localization's already been done.

Add that to the RH sales and this seems way off.

Oberon

Banned
I don't recall Tomato's localization possessing and transphobia. I don't even recall any characters being specifically called out as trans. It's been a while since I've played it though, was it pretty blatant?

I don't remember what pronoun they used refering to the magipsies. But I think that's what the article referes to.
As far as I remember they weren't explicitly transgender,
but going more into that would be too spoilery talk

TheChaos

If anything, they should just revise the script to erase any problematic casually transphobic dialogue and that's it.

You would then get the anti-censorship folks out in full force complaining.

Also as other posters mentioned the Magypsies being in the game means the right would be screaming about pushing the PC-agenda onto Nintendo, a family-friendly company.

This very specific teasing led to the announcement of two Metroid games at E3, barely six months after this quote.

Metroid was also an active brand leading up to this year. Say what you will about Federation Force, but it still has the Metroid branding. Earthbound is nowhere near what one would consider "active."

Mother 3 was the first crack in the foundation that would eventually drive me away from Nintendo. Played the game years ago and hoped that NoA would bring it stateside. You can only wait for an official localization so long before you finally give up. Bought a damn reproduction cartridge with the English translation patch from a local game store earlier this year and called it a day.

If anything, Tsunku's recent struggles with throat cancer would be a more likely reason for putting RH on hold.

Yeah. If anything is going to put the series on hiatus it'll be Tsunku's health woes. :( I hope this rumor about RH being done is just that - a rumor. The series is too good to fade away.

Ya, they totally canceled this series:

2015:
01./00. [3DS] Rhythm Heaven: The Best+ <ACT> (Nintendo) {2015.06.11} (¥5.076) - 157.591 / NEW <81,56%>
2016:
19./22. [3DS] Rhythm Heaven: The Best+ <ACT> (Nintendo) {2015.06.11} (¥4.700) - 3.433 / 650.961

Ya, no. I am calling bullshit.
For people who don't follow media create threads here, 650k is a TON of sales for a game in Japan, especially something like Rhythm Heaven. No way this series is dead.

LordKano

Metroid was also an active brand leading up to this year. Say what you will about Federation Force, but it still has the Metroid branding. Earthbound is nowhere near what one would consider "active."

Mother 1 got a localization for the first time in decades one or two years ago. They made a big deal out of it by announcing it in the Nintendo Worlds Championship at E3.

Kinsei

Banned

I wouldn't say that. We are getting Earthbound in the SNES Classic even though Japan isn't. That points to NoA possibly having something Mother related planned.

I don't remember the Magypsies being called out as being trans, but I do remember how blatant the depiction of them was (whether it was trans or otherwise), which wasn't too good.

Crayolan

Didn't previous rumors state the Mother 3 translation was already complete? It probably never existed in the first place, but if this is supposed to be an "update" it doesn't line up with what was stated before.

Cmagus

No Rhythm Heaven pretty much means I'll never buy another Nintendo console again. Hands down my favourite game franchise of all time and was a literally system seller for me.

Mother 1 got a localization for the first time in decades one or two years ago. They made a big deal out of it by announcing it in the Nintendo Worlds Championship at E3.

It was already localized back in '91, but never released. And of course they made a big deal out of it because it was a game that was never officially released, which is the exact same thing that's happening with Star Fox 2.

Kalor

I can live without Mother 3 since we have the fan translation but no more Rhythm Heaven would be really disappointing. Although it sold well in Japan so I'd be surprised if it was dead.

Nintendo is treating their costumers so badly, lol.
O6nCjPx

LordKano

It was already localized back in '91, but never released. And of course they made a big deal out of it because it was a game that was never officially released, which is the exact same thing that's happening with Star Fox 2.

I know that. Doesn't change what I said. At some point the IP was even more active than Metroid.

Mother 3 would have made a good Wii U release.

It would have been a cheap way to please the small hardcore audience they had. Now that time has passed.

No Rhythm Heaven pretty much means I'll never buy another Nintendo console again. Hands down my favourite game franchise of all time and was a literally system seller for me.

Good thing this rumor probably isn't even a thing. Rhythm Heaven sells too well in Japan to not continue being a thing.

I wouldn't say that. We are getting Earthbound in the SNES Classic even though Japan isn't. That points to NoA possibly having something Mother related planned.

The NES Classic had Final Fantasy 3 only in the JPN models. Exclusivity doesn't always mean something's up.

Top Bottom