• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[RUMOR/NOT CONFIRMED] Assassin's Creed Empire (Egypt setting) screenshot leaked

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Wait...

This seems really unlike Assassin's Creed. I guess them going this far back was to enable the possibility of player choice influencing the story since they don't need to worry about historical accuracy since not much information is present about the time periods actual historical events.
I'm guessing assassinating major targets will have a tangible effect on districts?

Harlequin

Yep, it's insane how much control you have in the last two AC games. Quick tips OP, pick and choose when to tap or hold X or O while running. DO NOT just hold X at all times. You need to think of the level design as a 3D space and constantly decide what move to make next to keep your momentum going.

This is just using R2
giphy.gif

How is this not automated and contextual? You not only don't have to press any kind of jump button (or grab button for that matter) but the button you'd usually hold down for just running suddenly also causes you to vault, jump, swing and grab shit. If that's not a text-book example of contextualised, automated controls, I don't know what is.

This is what happens if you hold R2+X after as you're swinging from the first monkey bar
giphy.gif

This is what happens if you hold R2+O as you swing from the first monkey bar
giphy.gif

This is basically just the designers themselves admitting that their automation algorithm is shit and giving the players tools to fight against it. Sure, it's slightly more consistent than the pure automation from the previous example but it's built on an incredibly inconsistent base and it's an inelegant solution at best. It also isn't actually truly consistent. Look at the second example with the downwards movement. There's no consistency to how far the character moves forward within that downward motion or when exactly he'll decide to grab sth and where precisely he ends up. Like I said, the movement is being twisted to accomodate the environment and the game isn't moving the character solely based on player input but very much based on environmental context. It tries to find the next thing the character can hold onto and transports them there. Again, slightly more consistent but not truly consistent because there's still too much of a layer of abstraction between player input and character action. Now, I suppose you could bill this as complexity because it shows that the same part of the environment can be traversed in three separate ways but it's still incredibly simplistic in its complexity, if that makes any sense. It gives you three rather nebulous options (forward, up, down) that can mean all kinds of different things in different circumstances and doesn't let you actually control your character's specific actions or know with any kind of real consistency what exactly they're going to do beyond "forward", "up" or "down". Like I said, there's a layer of abstraction there.

A bit more complex.
This is what happens if you hold R2+X for the first jump and then hold O as you grab the monkey bar followed by double tapping O to roll, which negates fall damage.
giphy.gif

The roll is indeed consistent IIRC, yes.

And this is what happens if you slide and use the parkour down control followed by just holding R2
giphy.gif

And another example of automation and contextualisation. The game decides how far to jump, it probably also steered the jump on its own and the game decides to grab onto that gargoyle instead of, say the banister. This is really just proving my point for the most part.

Always remember that R2+O while running=vaulting to get over obstacles to keep your momentum going
AthleticGrotesqueEastsiberianlaika-size_restricted.gif

Like with the rolling, I'll give you this one.

All of that being said, whether Assassin's Creed actually needs as much depth in its controls as, say, Mirror's Edge is a somewhat different discussion. It can probably get away with its movement system being less precise, less challenging and less complex but I do think that, either way, it's current movement system needs some serious changes like actually requiring people to press a jump button to make the character jump. (Which, that kind of thing is what I mean when I say that the original AC games had better controls which allowed for more complexity. Sure, they didn't have up or down buttons but they gave you more direct control over the character which, in turn facilitated more complex movement.)

Menthuss

Let's hope they gave the combat a serious overhaul. The previous entries were just so pathetically easy it was practically impossible to die.

Harlequin

Wait...

This seems really unlike Assassin's Creed. I guess them going this far back was to enable the possibility of player choice influencing the story since they don't need to worry about historical accuracy since not much information is present about the time periods actual historical events.

If the game is truly set in Ptolemaic times (which the Greek shield and the rumours about follow-up games being set in Greece and Rome certainly suggest), that's untrue. We know a great deal about the historical events that took place in the Hellenistic world in that era.

LastNac

I reiterate, I hated Revelations for story reasons, and loved Black Flag for all reasons, but one thing that team really does well are playable cinematic moments.

Black Flag in particular did I great job swelling the music when
Blackbeard died
, not to mention the constant excellence in presentation throughout the climbing sequences(that was both in Revelations and BF.)

More so, Black Flag's trippy sequences with Edward
swimming back to the water's surface, and losing his way in that "dream-like" sequence
were all playable and presented really, really well. That team is probably my favorite at this point

sjay1994

If the game is truly set in Ptolemaic times (which the Greek shield and the rumours about follow-up games being set in Greece and Rome certainly suggest), that's untrue. We know a great deal about the historical events that took place in the Hellenistic world in that era.

Ah my bad. From the initial rumors, I assumed the game was set BC.

Harlequin

Ubisoft can miss me with this shit if the protagonist ain't black.

How so? Ancient Egyptians weren't black, nor were they white, obviously. Though during the 25th dynasty, Egypt's rulers were of Nubian descent and they were black, of course. And a couple of centuries later, during Ptolemaic times, Egypt's ruling class was of Macedonian origin so they were white. Cleopatra VII, for example, was most likely white which is why the outcry over that proposed Cleopatra film starring Angelina Jolie was so incredibly idiotic. The only thing wrong with that casting choice would be that she's far too pretty by modern standards where the real Cleopatra would likely be considered plain at best today. But I digress :p.

Ah my bad. From the initial rumors, I assumed the game was set BC.

The Ptolemaic kingdom lasted from 305BC-30BC so yeah, it would still be set BC :p.

sjay1994

Ancient Egypt is white washed constantly though.

Look. Ubisoft gets shit on a bunch on the internet, but at least give them credit that they don't shy away from protagonists of different races.

How so? Ancient Egyptians weren't black, nor were they white, obviously. Though during the 25th dynasty, Egypt's rulers were of Nubian descent and they were black, of course. And a couple of centuries later, during Ptolemaic times, Egypt's ruling class was of Macedonian origin so they were white. Cleopatra VII, for example, was most likely white which is why the outcry over that proposed Cleopatra film starring Angelina Jolie was so incredibly idiotic. The only thing wrong with that casting choice would be that she's far too pretty by modern standards where the real Cleopatra would likely be considered plain at best today. But I digress :p.

The Ptolemaic kingdom lasted from 305BC-30BC so yeah, it would still be set BC :p.

Then I know jack shit about this time period :p

I just think Egypt would be a cool place to explore in a game.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
How is this not automated and contextual? You not only don't have to press any kind of jump button (or grab button for that matter) but the button you'd usually hold down for just running suddenly also causes you to vault, jump, swing and grab shit. If that's not a text-book example of contextualised, automated controls, I don't know what is.
It's the most basic form of movement, like pressing forward in ME, the complexity comes from what come after.

This is basically just the designers themselves admitting that their automation algorithm is shit and giving the players tools to fight against it.
This is literally them giving the player a shit ton more control over the

Sure, it's slightly more consistent than the pure automation from the previous example but it's built on an incredibly inconsistent base and it's an inelegant solution at best. It also isn't actually truly consistent. Look at the second example with the downwards movement. There's no consistency to how far the character moves forward within that downward motion or when exactly he'll decide to grab sth and where precisely he ends up.
There literally is tho, with the way the system in designed it's incredibly easy to predict exactly what you'll do when you tap B. It's the same every time. That's why it's consistent.

Like I said, the movement is being twisted to accomodate the environment and the game isn't moving the character solely based on player input but very much based on environmental context. It tries to find the next thing the character can hold onto and transports them there.
This only occurs in AC3-Rogue, in ACU, you'll stop in place if you aren't using the manual controls.

Again, slightly more consistent but not truly consistent because there's still too much of a layer of abstraction between player input and character action.

Now, I suppose you could bill this as complexity because it shows that the same part of the environment can be traversed in three separate ways but it's still incredibly simplistic in its complexity, if that makes any sense. It gives you three rather nebulous options (forward, up, down) that can mean all kinds of different things in different circumstances and doesn't let you actually control your character's specific actions or know with any kind of real consistency what exactly they're going to do beyond "forward", "up" or "down". Like I said, there's a layer of abstraction there.[/QUOTE]
The system is based on certain distances. The only abstract thing is animation playback for the sake of variety since they animate different variants based on distance. Again you can see this consistency in the video I posted as the dude manually enables certain jumps. The distance are always the same, if you know what each command does you can always determine exactly what Arno/Jacob/Evie/Lydia will do. So basically it works like this on more complex scale:
K9UxtKZ.gif

The roll is indeed consistent IIRC, yes.

And another example of automation and contextualisation. The game decides how far to jump, it probably also steered the jump on its own and the game decides to grab onto that gargoyle instead of, say the banister. This is really just proving my point for the most part.
Refer to the above explanation.

All of that being said, whether Assassin's Creed actually needs as much depth in its controls as, say, Mirror's Edge is a somewhat different discussion. It can probably get away with its movement system being less precise, less challenging and less complex but I do think that, either way, it's current movement system needs some serious changes like actually requiring people to press a jump button to make the character jump. (Which, that kind of thing is what I mean when I say that the original AC games had better controls which allowed for more complexity. Sure, they didn't have up or down buttons but they gave you more direct control over the character which, in turn facilitated more complex movement.)
It literally already has the bolded. Did you read the text of that quote? Manual controls like tapping are what set people apart from those who simply hold down the controls.

Sure, but when it comes to Egypt? I don't except much from anyone cause it always happens.
Take into account their biggest flub was having the cast of ACU speak with the Queen's latin stereotype in an attempt to emulate film. Don't think they'd shy away from another POC protagonist, hell I wouldn't even be surprised if there was an LBGT character in there considering their recent history.

Coffinhal

Ubileaks once again haha.

Can't wait to see what they pulled out this time. Going to Antiquity was always something we asked for and was the natural outcome after reaching the contemporary era.

Sad that you won't play that Assassin though. She killed Cleopatra with a fucking snake. That's also an exciting time of Egyptian history.

latest

Dmax3901

It would be really cool if they dealt with religious stuff in this, Moses or Jesus depending on when it's set. They probably won't though...

Coffinhal

It would be really cool if they dealt with religious stuff in this, Moses or Jesus depending on when it's set. They probably won't though...

Egypt already has its own religious history that goes back 4000 years before Jesus was born. Plenty to deal with without having side quests with Jesus in order to help him go shopping in the market.

You know it won't be.

The first leak suggested the protagonist would be. If not, I'm saving money and Ubisoft can get fucked.

This is inaccurate and a perpetuation of the erasure of black history. Ancient Egyptians were black. They were black for millennia, not centuries, and they continued to be black by a vast majority even after Arab invaders and Ptolemaic time.

To this day the native Egyptians are and always will be as black, and it's only right that they are the default representatives of their country and culture. It's unfortunate that they don't get that opportunity nearly enough and continue to suffer in a culture that is still very much racist and dominated by the lighter skinned descendants of Arabs.

Harlequin

This is inaccurate and a perpetuation of the erasure of black history. Ancient Egyptians were black. They were black for millennia, not centuries, and they continued to be black by a vast majority even after Arab invaders and Ptolemaic time.

To this day the native Egyptians are and always will be as black, and it's only right that they are the default representatives of their country and culture. It's unfortunate that they don't get that opportunity nearly enough and continue to suffer in a culture that is still very much racist and dominated by the lighter skinned descendants of Arabs.

No, it's very accurate. Ancient Egyptians depicted black Africans on a number of occasions and they're always depicted to be considerably darker than native Egyptians (who themselves certainly weren't light-skinned, though). More importantly, anthropometric indicators suggest that ancient Egyptians' physical traits were similar to those of other North African peoples and modern Egyptians. They do not match those of Sub-Saharan Africans (nor, obviously, do they match those of Caucasians). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Population_history_of_Egypt

Frostman

because it's better or worse? I mean, I'm gonna, I have the game, I just thought I go through 4 first.

Because the combat isn't as easily exploitable, there's no counter. I also think they progressed well with the parkour, it's a bit more complex but a lot more fluid.

There's also many more options, through their improvement in mission design.

I will add though that the map is a mess. Way to much busy work.

Kin5290

http://www.lemonde.fr/pixels/articl...ns-en-moins-de-narration_5031610_4408996.html

They said that in future games including the next AC, they want less and less traditional storytelling, players playing together can build their own stories bla bla.
Also in a seperate interview they said that they are migrating towards a business model where with all their games they can retain players into their ecosystem through online gaming and microtransactions.
So yeah not a good sign for fans of traditional story based single player games....like me :/
We'll see though, if they are making this like The Division or For Honor I don't think I'm going to buy it sadly.
Jesus, this sounds like Assassin's Creed: Wild Lands.

Dmax3901

Egypt already has its own religious history that goes back 4000 years before Jesus was born. Plenty to deal with without having side quests with Jesus in order to help him go shopping in the market.

Yeah, I guess I just want a game set during Jesus' time that deals with him as an actual person who wants to fight the Roman Empire as opposed to... God.

Or they can just stick to the fantasy they already have.

Take THAT Christianity.

"Hold L Stick forward to help Jesus carry the Cross."

"100% Sync: Use only fists when helping Jesus clear the Temple"

Jesper Kyd coming back would be a really big deal to me, he was sorely missed in the latest installments, even the good ones. I was actually doing the warden fight in Darksiders 2 recently and the score during the fight, incredible.

halfbeast

Banned
Because the combat isn't as easily exploitable, there's no counter. I also think they progressed well with the parkour, it's a bit more complex but a lot more fluid.

There's also many more options, through their improvement in mission design.

I will add though that the map is a mess. Way to much busy work.

did they get rid of the flying-away-collectible? didn't play much of AC3 but in 4 it really pissed me off!

Luxorek

Not sure if joke post...

Anyway, ancient Egypt race controversy

Looking forward to the game, setting is mighty interesting. I've read somewhere that they are taking cues from TW3, so who knows.

You really seem to know your stuff!

ViciousDS

Banned
Jesus, this sounds like Assassin's Creed: Wild Lands.

Ubisoft pretty much copies a everything from everything they do.

It no doubt can be some annoying ass giant open world that sucks ass built around a game service model. The wild lands beta is pure trash and I hope they don't fuck up this new AC following that game

NMFried

As long as the game is a complete and total reboot I'm down.

I was so salty with the Desmond stuff after the awfulness they pulled in 3. Black Flag and Syndicate were solid enough games, but the fact that they still tried to tie in the other games made them feel less important.

Ubisoft pretty much copies a everything from everything they do.

It no doubt can be some annoying ass giant open world that sucks ass built around a game service model. The wild lands beta is pure trash and I hope they don't fuck up this new AC following that game

Can't wait to see Might and Magic features in Trials!

BTW, the game could still be set in Egypt with the Shield being Greek. It just means that it'd be set int Ptolemaic Egypt (Think Cleopatra and Mark Antony) rather than Classical Pharohic Egypt.

Top Bottom