• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[RUMOR/NOT CONFIRMED] Assassin's Creed Empire (Egypt setting) screenshot leaked

RexNovis

Banned
Are they seriously setting a game in Egypt and having a white protagonist? WTF Ubisoft. Why does he have to be a Greek person on Egypt? Why can't they just be Egyptian? Seriously disappointing.

MisterR

Are they seriously setting a game in Egypt and having a white protagonist? WTF Ubisoft. Why does he have to be a Greek person on Egypt? Why can't they just be Egyptian? Seriously disappointing.

Let's not rev up the outrage before we even know anything about the game.

Johndoey

Banned

How'd you get all the way to this based on what we've seen?

Has there been anything indicating a set protag? Idk, after Syndicate, I'm kind of expecting a character creator. That seems the natural direction to take.
Hard to explain why, but I definitely get a character creator vibe from that pic.

For one, no Assassins outfit. Then the armor seems less...cohesive, not a costume but different pieces for feet, legs, arms, chest, etc. And the shield makes me think you'll be able to choose from a much wider variety of weapons/attacks

RexNovis

Banned
We don't even know who's the protagonist...

That's a lot of conclusions you just jumped to.

Let's not rev up the outrage before we even know anything about the game.

How'd you get all the way to this based on what we've seen?

I boot up the thread expecting that badass black dude from the other screenshot as I remember seeing that in previous threads and get whitey McWhiteface with a Greek shield instead. Yea I'm disappointed.

Blastoise

Banned
I'm going through AC Unity on Boost Mode and the game is fucking amazing.

So much detail and love was put into it. Too bad about the base performance.

I boot up the thread expecting that badass black dude from the other screenshot as I remember seeing that in previous threads and get whitey McWhiteface with a Greek shield instead. Yea I'm disappointed.

Well that screenshot you're talking about is from a completely different game that got cancelled.

Also... in regards to a Greek being in Egypt... that is literally what Egypt looked like after Ptolemy took control. Look up Ptolemaic Egypt, which would be a more logical time period than Bronze age Egypt for example.

Btw is the symbol on the shield the greek lettel lambda, thus making it a spartan shield or is it the AC symbol?They look alike actually.

Mett

I've definitely missed the year off from Assassin's Creed. Can't wait to hear more, just wish it was Japan or China. Ah well, can't wait to be scaling pyramids!

Auctopus

Everyone who's complaining he's Greek, I'm assuming you're deducing that from the image on the shield... which is most likely a variation on the Assassin's logo...

y0qMAF3.png

Basketball

Let's hope they gave the combat a serious overhaul. The previous entries were just so pathetically easy it was practically impossible to die.

I will not buy this game unless the combat is totally overhauled

after that garbage from Uni and Synidcate

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Has there been anything indicating a set protag? Idk, after Syndicate, I'm kind of expecting a character creator. That seems the natural direction to take.
The nature of this series makes character creation impossible, Syndicate had set protagonists and never deviated from that.

Certinty

I loved Victorian London. Wanted something similar to be totally honest, I thought Ubisoft nailed Syndicate in almost every possible way.

This is gonna be pretty damn disappointing if this isn't actually set in Ancient Egypt and instead in Alexander's time.

Like damn the idea of seeing old Egypt in all its glory was the main draw imo

joms5

This is literally them giving the player a shit ton more control over the

There literally is tho, with the way the system in designed it's incredibly easy to predict exactly what you'll do when you tap B. It's the same every time. That's why it's consistent.

It literally already has the bolded. Did you read the text of that quote? Manual controls like tapping are what set people apart from those who simply hold down the controls.

a27.jpg

Egypt already has its own religious history that goes back 4000 years before Jesus was born. Plenty to deal with without having side quests with Jesus in order to help him go shopping in the market.

Hrm...

With all due respect, let's not confuse religion with history here. I know they like to have fun with historical figures and may not always be the most accurate in terms of consistency, but actually putting a religious figure in a game is something they would never do.

Let's not forget that these games are "designed, developed and produced by a multicultural team of various religious faiths and beliefs." I can only imagine how a meeting like that would go.

sjay1994

You know...

I doubt AC would allow you to create a protagonist. If those early rumors are true of it modelling itself after Witcher 3, as well as their current MO of trying to make "iconic characters" then this is probably the set character that you follow.

And with how they teased somethings in AC:S in the side modern day stuff, a white protagonist does make some sense.

Apparently Desmond had a kid and that kid has lineage from Ancient Egypt

I guess that character might be the modern day character meaning there might be a potential time skip in the modern day from Syndicate which might enable a soft reboot. Then again, the bloodline stuff in AC never makes sense, because for some reason despite not being precursor decendants Arno and the Fryes had eagle vision/sense.

Please rip off For Honor's combat mechanics.

I remember someone suggesting this in the AC subreddit, and it got torn to shreds. I personally feel AC should prioritize stealth more than combat, and that the for honor combat system would work if it follows the same rules as for honor where you and your enemies are on relatively equal footing.

Hard to explain why, but I definitely get a character creator vibe from that pic.

For one, no Assassins outfit. Then the armor seems less...cohesive, not a costume but different pieces for feet, legs, arms, chest, etc. And the shield makes me think you'll be able to choose from a much wider variety of weapons/attacks

It could be possible they are carrying over unity's gear system where multiple pieces of the character's outfit are customisible, but not the character itself.

I'm playing through Syndicate rn

Even though I thought it wouldn't have as much verticality as other games locations when I first heard about it, this is a pretty amazing location they chose. Hope Egypt is as good :/ I've always assumed it would be very flat and dry

sjay1994

I'm playing through Syndicate rn

Even though I thought it wouldn't have as much verticality as other games locations when I first heard about it, this is a pretty amazing location they chose. Hope Egypt is as good :/ I've always assumed it would be very flat and dry

I think it can work. I felt AC3 should have tried to be the Snake Eater of the series and done more with Wilderness Stealth.

Because while I think these games are great historical tourism, they've struggled with core gameplay.

Man people thought the protagonist in Watch Dogs 2 was a white guy too from one picture. It's a blurry ass screenshot, stop kneejerking.

DanielJr82

Excited for an Egypt setting, not excited for another Abstergo chapter. Ubisoft should just bite the bullet and get rid of that whole sci-fi component in the series and keep it purely historical.

I hope that's the setting. There's a serious lack of ancient Egypt this gen. Played through the forgotten sands over the weekend and it was nice to visit that setting for a change. Way too many modernish games these days.

Comandr

I'm glad to be getting away from <European City> but real talk: AC Japan when? Who doesn't want to play as a freaking ninja? Come on.

SURGEdude

This series has so much potential. But it consistently falls down. A page one rewrite could be exactly the kind of thing to make it worthy of its great concept.

I hope it isn't just a radical setting change, but a reboot.

RexNovis

Banned
Man people thought the protagonist in Watch Dogs 2 was a white guy too from one picture. It's a blurry ass screenshot, stop kneejerking.

I dont see how anyone could mistake the person and or the shield on display in that picture.

Well that screenshot you're talking about is from a completely different game that got cancelled.

Also... in regards to a Greek being in Egypt... that is literally what Egypt looked like after Ptolemy took control. Look up Ptolemaic Egypt, which would be a more logical time period than Bronze age Egypt for example.

I am well aware of Ptolemaic Egypt. I thought it would be set in Ancient Egypt hence the reveal of a Greek Protag being so disappointing. I find Ancient Egypt way more interesting as a potential setting than Hellenic Egypt.

This is gonna be pretty damn disappointing if this isn't actually set in Ancient Egypt and instead in Alexander's time.

Like damn the idea of seeing old Egypt in all its glory was the main draw imo

Yep. People seem to be missing the point as to why this image is so disappointing. The presence of a Greek protag makes this infinitely less interesting to me because of what it means for the time period the game is set to be in. I was really really excited about the idea of playing a game in Ancient Egypt before all the Hellenic influence.

Sinsem

So Egypt this year, Ancient Greece next year.
I wonder if they'll do a ancient history trilogy with something like Babylon for the 3rd one.

Coffinhal

Lots of Assassins didn't have a hood or a designed outfit (see the Sanctuary in AC2).

Also there has been strong outfit and weapons customisation in AC Unity so that may very well go back.

I don't see why they would do a character creator, they just need to give the players the choice of how they play and pick their outfits/weapons.

*If* that's the MC, I'm hugely disappointed as well

Having a Greek or Macedonian main character is the boring, obvious thing to do to keep this game White

but actually putting a religious figure in a game is something they would never do.

I don't know that that's a fair assumption to make

Coffinhal

Hrm...

With all due respect, let's not confuse religion with history here. I know they like to have fun with historical figures and may not always be the most accurate in terms of consistency, but actually putting a religious figure in a game is something they would never do.

Let's not forget that these games are "designed, developed and produced by a multicultural team of various religious faiths and beliefs." I can only imagine how a meeting like that would go.

With all due respect, the sentence you quote is here for legal reasons. I doesn't mean anything else.

They already talk a lot about religion. It's the core of the 1st episode's story. It only grows stronger after that with a big religious background in the metastory. Do you believe that Minerva, Jupiter, Juno aren't religious figures ?

They need to change a lot more then the setting to turn AC around I think.

I hope its good.

I jsut think they do need a God of War PS4 / RE7 style complete reinvention of the mechanics of the franchise though.

Top Bottom