• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: NX more powerful than PS4, Splatoon/Mario Maker ports in development

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReyVGM

It will have Zelda for launch, that's the only reason I'm going in day 1.

And I'd bet there are millions just like me, who dress like me; walk, talk and act like me, the NX just might be the next best thing.

That's not the point. I have Wifi too. Doesn't mean I want to be playing online on it. Even if I know my connection is great, that doesn't mean I want 97+% of the people that I play against online to be playing on Wifi. I also don't want to have to deal with Nintendo's "local Pokken multiplayer" solution again, especially considering that it uses up one of the few USB ports on the system.

Even if it has an Ethernet port the vast majority of people you'll be playing against online will be using WiFi anyway

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
These rumors are out if control, I bet you guys will be extremely disappointed after Nintendo revealed the real NX.

I don't see how that's possible when comparing it to last year's E3. I don't see how anything could get worse.

pooh

So if sources are confirming Luigi's Mansion 3, would this then mean there could be some credibility to the "Geno" leak that said the same thing?

One of the interesting points about that was that the portable unit (not the controller) had its own HDMI dongle that allowed streaming to TVs. To me, this kind of fits the overall cross-play aspect of the home console. As in, play home console on the go with the controller, play portable on a TV with the HDMI attachment. I'd imagine of course that the portable could also be used as a controller for the home console, including game streaming.

sinxtanx

X9MIsyS.jpg

Here, a soothing tune

Malus

So if sources are confirming Luigi's Mansion 3, would this then mean there could be some credibility to the "Geno" leak that said the same thing?

One of the interesting points about that was that the portable unit (not the controller) had its own HDMI dongle that allowed streaming to TVs. To me, this kind of fits the overall cross-play aspect of the home console. As in, play home console on the go with the controller, play portable on a TV with the HDMI attachment. I'd imagine of course that the portable could also be used as a controller for the home console, including game streaming.

Or it's a lucky guess based on Tamaki's earlier report about Next Level moving a Wii U game to NX. The rumor about an HDMI dongle was copied from a 4chan post.

Neoxon

Iwata already explicitly shot down that kind of hybrid device. And 10k specifically mentioned the that the controller would basically be a dummy Vita meant for Remote Play.

maxcriden

I haven't really been reading them. Something about the NX will have Polarium. That game was great on DS so I'm really glad the NX will have it. All they have to do is announce that and I will not be disappointed.

It's similar to Meteos, right?

Edit: oh, and it was a rare case where I think a DS game got a GBA sequel. @__@

maxcriden

Have multiple sources confirmed LM3? Link?

(My apologies for the double post.)

MuchoMalo

Banned

You mean the about a handheld on par with XBone? And said that XBone is 50x as powerful as Wii U? lol

Cidd

How powerful will NX be this week compared to last week?

Seem to go up every week.

My guess, more powerful than 2 PS4Ks duct taped together.

I haven't really been reading them. Something about the NX will have Polarium. That game was great on DS so I'm really glad the NX will have it. All they have to do is announce that and I will not be disappointed.
The NX is being codeveloped by the Russian FSB. It'll have Polonium.

Ah, gotcha. Thank you. Brain fart I guess! That was in his second of two total tiered rumor posts? Wanted to make sure I didn't miss a third.
Yeah, he said he had one source that was different from Geno. Then he got another source which made it Tier 2

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=201100330

So, unless his second source is the same as Genos then that would mean three sources are saying Luigis Mansion 3 is coming to NX. Wait...is Geno himself a source or does Geno have sources? Lol

pooh

Or it's a lucky guess based on Tamaki's earlier report about Next Level moving a Wii U game to NX. The rumor about an HDMI dongle was copied from a 4chan post.

Hmmmm. Yeah, that kind of shoots it down for me. Sounded like a cool concept though.

Iwata already explicitly shot down that kind of hybrid device. And 10k specifically mentioned the that the controller would basically be a dummy Vita meant for Remote Play.

Even though the "leak" I was talking about appears fake, I do still think they'll release a dedicated handheld with cross-play function, that would be separate from the "dummy vita" controller, but could still play streamed home console games, and also wouldn't require the home console for compatible titles. I'm just extrapolating what's been said about the controller and assuming the dedicated portable could do the same things.

HOLD IT!

Ok, now i've got your attention the situation is:

10k has his own source claiming Polaris
Playeressence has his own source claiming Polaris
10k has verified with Playeressence that the source is indeed different
10k still stands at "T1" on Polaris because he has not had contact with the Playeressence source himself.

Is this where we're at?

sorry late to the party what is Polaris?

ChaosXVI

I could go either way on whether or not the Luigi's Mansion 3 leak seems legit or not...but I could certainly see it being real. LM2 was a pretty big success, and NLG definitely seems to understand how to handle that franchise, so it'd be leaving money on the table to not do another one. I've never played either of them so it doesn't really do much to excite me, but certainly understand why others are excited.

On another topic: I really don't see any universe where the NX does NOT get some kind of unveiling before E3. It could be right after Star Fox comes out, but I'd imagine something a bit more proper in early May. It makes absolutely no sense for Nintendo to leave May empty for any big Wii U games, when that has been a key slot for their big selling games for the past few years. Then they force Twilight Princess HD and Pokken to come out within 2 weeks of each other? With Star Fox in April? It just doesn't add up for me. One of these games should have come out in May, and the only reason they wouldn't have is to prevent any of those games from being overshadowed by the NX reveal.

#FE coming out in June is totally fine, because that game will bomb like hell, with or without NX being announced already. I'll be buying it purely based on how rare it will likely become. Who knows wtf the deal is Paper Mario.

ozfunghi

To be honest, the rumors so far are tame and reasonable, and no other source has come out denying any of these rumors like the days of WUST. Something like that would have happened by now. Sure, there could be unreasonable expectations and disappointment but this isn't really a place for any hype. We've all mostly been discussing and speculating with what we know. I do hope some are at least keeping their expectations and hype in check though.

Indeed. CPU a "tad" more powerful than a console released 3 years earlier. A GPU from a newer generation than a console released 3 years earlier... and most are speculating the same amount of RAM.

WE'RE OUT OF CONTROL!

sorry late to the party what is Polaris?

New AMD GPU architecture. Basically has a couple of new features that the XBO/PS4 GPU do not have. Also means 14nm (smaller fabrication node) meaning more power efficient, cooler, quiter... at comparable clockspeeds.

MuchoMalo

Banned
On the topic of the handheld... Didn't Kimi say that he thinks that mobile will bring in more money than Wii and DS combined? I'm wondering if his plan is to drop handhelds and later consoles if NX flops. He might be the CEO that investors always wanted... much to our dismay. (Correct me if I'm wrong)

I'm also still somewhat concerned that Kimi specifically said that "details" of NX would come this year, but that might just be to avoid announcing a lunch before announcing the system. Though launch year was the first thing they announced about Wii U. I'm probably over-analyzing.

LCGeek

formerly sane
It's the name of AMDs newest graphics card line. Which hasn't currently been released. It is expected to be a substantial jump from their older cards

Not expected anymore, the gpu is pretty sick in certain 1440p benchmarks when it has been shown off. Nintendo would have access certainly more than the press.

Indeed. CPU a "tad" more powerful than a console released 3 years earlier. A GPU from a newer generation than a console released 3 years earlier... and most are speculating the same amount of RAM.

WE'RE OUT OF CONTROL!

New AMD GPU architecture. Basically has a couple of new features that the XBO/PS4 GPU do not have. Also means 14nm (smaller fabrication node) meaning more power efficient, cooler, quiter... at comparable clockspeeds.

It's the name of AMDs newest graphics card line. Which hasn't currently been released. It is expected to be a substantial jump from their older cards

thanks

willing to pay $599 for it

MuchoMalo

Banned
Not expected anymore, the gpu is pretty sick in certain 1440p benchmarks when it has been shown off. Nintendo would have access certainly more than the press.

I have no doubt that AMD would push hard for it and even be willing to offer... a... discount.......

Uh, I think I may have found en explanation for that low revenue estimate that AMD gave for their new semi-custom designs. It's a long shot, but when you combine it with expectations that NX won't be a smash hit and the fact that AMD would love to talk about how Polaris is in a game console, it's not out of the question. It's even stronger if we assume that the second design was for the handheld. That would be simple and low-power. x86 for console, ARM for handheld, and the x86 design announced last year could be the Apple one. Huh. That would certainly explain a lot and give a reason for why Nintendo might give it a shot.

How big is the performance jump?

Polaris 10 with 36CUs GCN 1.3 @800MHz ~= R9 Nano with 64CUs GCN 1.2 @800-900MHz

So, it's decent. I don't know if I trust the benchmarks though. Also, that's with a sub-130W GPU. We could see R9 380 performance at ~50W, which would be the basis for the PS4k.

jdstorm

Banned

I didn't realise the benchmarks were out. Time to do some googling.

Also I have a semi crazy idea that I was wondering if TechGAF could speculate on the plausibility of.

If a NX portable handheld and an NX home console had a similar architecture, could it be possible to use some of AMDs CrossFireX tech to combine those 2 units into producing one even more powerful experience?

geordiemp

WE'RE OUT OF CONTROL!

New AMD GPU architecture. Basically has a couple of new features that the XBO/PS4 GPU do not have. Also means 14nm (smaller fabrication node) meaning more power efficient, cooler, quiter... at comparable clockspeeds and more expensive.

You forget that you cant even buy high end PC cards yet with Polaris with mega bucks....and yet posters are expecting a low cost console to be one of the first....

and Nintendo ditching their Nintendo like profits and subsidising the goods. My head hurts....

Its going to be crazy with Nintendo going high end and expensive...or a good laugh at this thread....one way or the other.

Maybe subsidised consoles is making a return....

Kucan

You forget that you cant even buy high end PC cards yet with Polaris with mega bucks....and yet posters are expecting a low cost console to be one of the first....

and Nintendo ditching their Nintendo like profits and subsidising the goods. My head hurts....

Its going to be crazy with Nintendo going high end and expensive...or a good laugh at this thread....one way or the other.

Well, if mobile gaming does really well, couldn't they use the money from there to cover keeping the console price down at launch in conjunction with the usual profiting from software?

Pineapple

You don't wanna know, There was a series of Wii U Speculation threads for 18 months or so. I'm glad I mostly stayed out of that one

And then, even after the initial E3 reveal, people had to wait another year entirely for Nintendo to re-introduce the system at the following E3.

That entire launch was a mess. Nintendo didn't end up releasing the console until 18 months after the initial reveal.

Imagine if that were to occur again...

MuchoMalo

Banned

The Polaris cards are actually expected to be pretty cheap. There are only two chips with two SKUs each. One is 50W, and the other is 130W. That's not really high-end. I don't think that they'll match PS4k, but what's being talked about here isn't crazy, nor is anyone thinking, "YES! This is happening!" Are you saying that we shouldn't even speculate on rumors unless they are on the low end of matching XBox One at best?

jdstorm

Banned

Its going to be crazy...or a good laugh....one way or the other.

No one is expecting Nintendo to ditch much of anything. Most of it just assumes AMD gave Nintendo a good deal.

Realistically Nintendo could make a console that costs roughly 300USD with the rumoured specs. Then increase the value to the consumer by including a WiiU port that has already more then broken even ( Splatoon, Mario Maker, Smash) as a pack in at launch.

300USD including a game would sell quite well over The Launch Period/Xmas especially if there were other games that consumers wanted ( third party support, Zelda, 3D Mario ect.) Then Nintendo would start to make money off hardware on the 2nd production run

jdstorm

Banned
And then, even after the initial E3 reveal, people had to wait another year entirely for Nintendo to re-introduce the system at the following E3.

That entire launch was a mess. Nintendo didn't end up releasing the console until 18 months after the initial reveal.

Well in that 18 months Kyoto was hit by an earthquake I'd imagine that had some effect on the Wii u's launch

oh those are the ones I'm talking about, they were literally called that because they only started *after* the Wii U was revealed and named, and took up 5 full length threads. I was definitely involved in the pre-reveal 'café' speculation with lots of silly mockups, but I'm not into the post reveal speculation.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I am so excited for a Nintendo console with high-quality graphics. I can't even put it into words. I'm not a Nintendo-only fan, but I've been waiting for this for years.

NateDrake

I am so excited for a Nintendo console with high-quality graphics. I can't even put it into words. I'm not a Nintendo-only fan, but I've been waiting for this for years.

What do you consider high-quality graphics that a title like Smash Bros. at 1080p/60fps doesn't meet?

geordiemp

No one is expecting Nintendo to ditch much of anything. Most of it just assumes AMD gave Nintendo a good deal.

Realistically Nintendo could make a console that costs roughly 300USD with the rumoured specs. Then increase the value to the consumer by including a WiiU port that has already more then broken even ( Splatoon, Mario Maker, Smash) as a pack in at launch.

300USD including a game would sell quite well over The Launch Period/Xmas especially if there were other games that consumers wanted ( third party support, Zelda, 3D Mario ect.) Then Nintendo would start to make money off hardware on the 2nd production run

AMD are the designers, they dont make the 14 nm chips, that will be Samsung or TSMC, who will probably be having a long list of companies wanting the new performance process - not just Nintendo but also MS and Sony and the PC market, laptop market, phone market.

I just cant see the fabricators giving 14 nm chips away on a new more expensive process, especially for 970 GPU levels of performance. Maybe they will, maybe by Christmas AMD 970 equivalent will be 150 bucks and everyone can have a mega console or a PC capable of VR for 300-400 bucks.

I dont know, but it sounds too good to be true....unlimited power for everyone. I would finally build a gaming PC as it would be console prices.

I just dont believe its Xmas for every gamer everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom