• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: NX more powerful than PS4, Splatoon/Mario Maker ports in development

Status
Not open for further replies.
How powerful will NX be this week compared to last week?

Seem to go up every week.

My guess, more powerful than 2 PS4Ks duct taped together.

I'm predicting world-destroying power in the next rumours.

"NX begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, April 29th. In a panic, they try to pull the plug."

T2 Rumour: Judgement Day

Meesh

I am so excited for a Nintendo console with high-quality graphics. I can't even put it into words. I'm not a Nintendo-only fan, but I've been waiting for this for years.
Same!! Been drooling all over this thread with the thought. I'm fine with PS4 quality personally though others indicate Nintendo might need more under the hood if they're to compete, which they might. What has my imagination going is what their games will look like, how expansive they might be, what they choose to show at E3.
I refresh this thread constantly, reading what may be exaggerated or conservative speculations, but my hype's still high due to the quality of Nintendos output. 9 more days till the investors meeting? It's marked on my calendar lol :)

MuchoMalo

Banned
AMD are the designers, they dont make the 14 nm chips, that will be Samsung or TSMC, who will probably be having a long list of companies wanting the new performance process - not just Nintendo but also MS and Sony and the PC market, laptop market, phone market.

I just cant see the fabricators giving 14 nm chips away on a new more expensive process, especially for 970 GPU levels of performance. Maybe they will, maybe by Christmas AMD 970 equivalent will be 150 bucks and everyone can have a mega console or a PC capable of VR for 300-400 bucks.

I dont know, but it sounds too good to be true....unlimited power for everyone. I would finally build a gaming PC as it would be console prices.

I just dont believe its Xmas for every gamer everywhere.

Nobody is expecting GTX 970 performance lol

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
AMD are the designers, they dont make the 14 nm chips, that will be Samsung or TSMC, who will probably be having a long list of companies wanting the new performance process - not just Nintendo but also MS and Sony and the PC market, laptop market, phone market.

I just cant see the fabricators giving 14 nm chips away on a new more expensive process, especially for 970 GPU levels of performance. Maybe they will, maybe by Christmas AMD 970 equivalent will be 150 bucks and everyone can have a mega console or a PC capable of VR for 300-400 bucks.

I dont know, but it sounds too good to be true....unlimited power for everyone. I would finally build a gaming PC as it would be console prices.

Eh it's not always the top end chips that get released first. Sometimes it's some random ass HTPC card with the new arch.

I get your logic, but it's not unheard of to go the other way.

Not that I'm even sold that it'll be polaris. Even a Fiji island based card would be a nice upgrade from the Wii U, and that's all I really need console wise from Nintendo.

geordiemp

Nobody is expecting GTX 970 performance lol

That is what the last rumour is implying, 2 x ps4 is 3.6 TF....its getting into 970 and occulus VR territory. Cant you see that ?

14 nm and Polaris could easily double the ps4's GCN to 36 pushing 3.6 to 4 TF....thats high end PC right there. Thats why many are poking fun or being very sceptical.

magash

That is what the last rumour is implying, 2 x ps4 is 3.6 TF....its getting into 970 and occulus VR territory. Cant you see that ?

14 nm and Polaris could easily double the ps4's GCN to 36 pushing 3.6 to 4 TF....thats high end PC right there.

Yeah no

ozfunghi

You forget that you cant even buy high end PC cards yet with Polaris with mega bucks....and yet posters are expecting a low cost console to be one of the first....

and Nintendo ditching their Nintendo like profits and subsidising the goods. My head hurts....

Its going to be crazy with Nintendo going high end and expensive...or a good laugh at this thread....one way or the other.

Maybe subsidised consoles is making a return....

Isn't it possible that the GPU will feature certain er... features of Polaris, so that people are identifying it as such, while it is in reality a trimmed down version of it? With less CU's for instance, making overal grunt equal to PS4's GPU but with the extra features while being power efficient etc? This is how the WiiU CPU was developed as well, irrc. A heavily trimmed down version of an existing chip.

Kimawolf

14 nm and Polaris could easily double the ps4's GCN to 36 pushing 3.6 to 4 TF....thats high end PC right there. Thats why many are poking fun or being very sceptical.
Hifh in PC for who? Not any high end PC person would consider 3.6 tf as high end.

MuchoMalo

Banned

You can't compare TFLOPs across architectures. You'd agree that the R9 390 competes with the GTX 970, right? Well then:

GTX 970 - 3.5 TFLOPs

R9 390 - 5.1 TFLOPs

See? A 3.5 TFLOP AMD GPU would be the R9 380

ZOONAMI

You can't compare TFLOPs across architectures. You'd agree that the R9 390 competes with the GTX 970, right? Well then:

GTX 970 - 3.5 TFLOPs

R9 390 - 5.1 TFLOPs

See? A 3.5 TFLOP AMD GPU would be the R9 380

The 390 arguably competes with the 980 as well. And in some cases a 390x can beat a 980 Ti.

You can compare tflops, as it is a measure of a cards theoretical performance. It's just that amds dx11 drivers generally aren't as good as nvidias, but it looks like amd has the upper hand with dx12.

Aroll

I just dont believe its Xmas for every gamer everywhere.

It wouldn't be given the case being made. The case is that Nintendo (or in your argument, Sony/Microsoft) would end up getting a really good deal for say, the first year of 14nm runs out of AMD and partners in order to gain headway into the market AMD currently has almost no headway in.

The idea here is that AMD itself is cutting this deal to their benefit - not that they will suddenly make parts consumers can buy off the shelves at those same prices.

That's not going to happen. Consumer level parts at 14nm are still going to be really damn expensive. This is actually something that makes consoles more attractive short term, since these deals are strictly for market share purposes, not to sell individual parts.

LCGeek

formerly sane
I didn't realise the benchmarks were out. Time to do some googling.

Also I have a semi crazy idea that I was wondering if TechGAF could speculate on the plausibility of.

If a NX portable handheld and an NX home console had a similar architecture, could it be possible to use some of AMDs CrossFireX tech to combine those 2 units into producing one even more powerful experience?

Just press snippets

That's good in my book, Sli doesn't do that so easily either. The architecture is disgusting at this point nintendo will get the benefits of whatever amd has been up too since the annoncement 2 years ago. You don't need the best considering that GCN architecture in DX12 highly competes with nvidia. When a 7950 can match a 970 because of api and good compute hardware you have tech nut like me shit grinning. A decent powered gpu with solid compute and rops would easily. High amounts aren't necessary considering what it's already doing.

ZOONAMI

Only in extremely biased games and some DX12 games. You shouldn't look at outliers very closely. In general, 390 competes with 970 and 390X competes with 980.

I'd take an 8gb 390 over the 4gb 980, given they are fairly close, and it's pretty easy to saturate 4gb of vram these days. And there will be more and more dx12 games.

So if sources are confirming Luigi's Mansion 3, would this then mean there could be some credibility to the "Geno" leak that said the same thing?

One of the interesting points about that was that the portable unit (not the controller) had its own HDMI dongle that allowed streaming to TVs. To me, this kind of fits the overall cross-play aspect of the home console. As in, play home console on the go with the controller, play portable on a TV with the HDMI attachment. I'd imagine of course that the portable could also be used as a controller for the home console, including game streaming.

No Geno is bullshit.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
You forget that you cant even buy high end PC cards yet with Polaris with mega bucks....and yet posters are expecting a low cost console to be one of the first....

and Nintendo ditching their Nintendo like profits and subsidising the goods. My head hurts....

Its going to be crazy with Nintendo going high end and expensive...or a good laugh at this thread....one way or the other.

Maybe subsidised consoles is making a return....

Polaris is not high end, if yields are good it would not very expensive. If NX is based on Polaris (enormous if) it's most likely closer to Polaris 11, which is a fairly small ~50W chip.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I think the NX speculation people are getting too ahead of themselves, the same as the PS4K people...investments into this kind of thing are going to be low cost...Miyamoto said last year they want this unit to be accessible and cheap.

Using an unproven architecture on a new process node and going after the power angle seems completely alien to what Nintendo usually goes for, so i remain fully skeptical of this

ultrazilla

Gold Member
Moreso than EA, if Nintendo was able to entice
Take 2 Interactive to support NX, that would be killer.

We know there was talk of a few big AAA games being ported to the system. Grand Theft Auto 5 Game
of the Year Edition? Red Dead Deliverence? Borderlands Epic Edition collection?

Would be a big PR victory for Nintendo and the fans.

mavo

Banned
And then, even after the initial E3 reveal, people had to wait another year entirely for Nintendo to re-introduce the system at the following E3.

That entire launch was a mess. Nintendo didn't end up releasing the console until 18 months after the initial reveal.

Imagine if that were to occur again...

But that's Nintendo modus operandi since the N64 (except that one got delayed).

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I think the NX speculation people are getting too ahead of themselves, the same as the PS4K people...investments into this kind of thing are going to be low cost...Miyamoto said last year they want this unit to be accessible and cheap.

Using an unproven architecture on a new process node and going after the power angle seems completely alien to what Nintendo usually goes for, so i remain fully skeptical of this

The speculation makes sense - where exactly is Nintendo going to position themselves?

They can go with something on 28nm but they are either going to disappoint in terms of performance or they going to end up with a price that's too high.

Going with a new process is not very Nintendo-like but it's about the only way they are going to get "acceptable" performance (PS4ish or a bit better) while also hitting at a price point that will work for them. And Polaris is not high end or "going after the power angle," since the "470" is estimated to have just 16CUs and be sub-50W. That's Nintendo-like enough, apart from the 14nm node.

That's not to say I'm totally onboard the Nintendo x Polaris hype train (nor do I think they would use something standard, I wouldn't be surprised if they actually dipped further and went with a 12CU GPU or something). But it makes some sense.

They could go with something more custom like something Polaris-based but on 28nm or a GCN 1.2/1.3 based GPU on 14nm, but that would ultimately cost more in R&D to get less in return.

udivision

I think NX anxiety is so strong because (even outside of Nintendo's current position) there's a decent argument both of the opposite path's Nintendo can take with the system.

There's enough evidence to point to low-end and high-end being successful, but each with their own caveats. There's not enough evidence to say any one direction is impossible for them to take.

MK_768

I think NX anxiety is so strong because (even outside of Nintendo's current position) there's a decent argument both of the opposite path's Nintendo can take with the system.

There's enough evidence to point to low-end and high-end being successful, but each with their own caveats
. There's not enough evidence to say any one direction is impossible for them to take.

Isn't this true with every system though. It really comes down to price of the system and how Nintendo communicates the system. Oh and the system has to be competent, something Wii U was not at launch.

udivision

Isn't this true with every system though. It really comes down to price of the system and how Nintendo communicates the system. Oh and the system has to be competent, something Wii U was not at launch.

Nintendo is the only company that would actually try to not compete on power though.

Even if the PS4 and XO aren't as strong as they could be, no one was thinking the PS4 would be on the PS3's level or something like that.

There is more evidence than not pointing to a pretty beefy system in comparison to PS4/XO, between 10k's sources, the WSJ article, and AMD's win listing from 2014. I don't see the harm in being optimistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom