• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: NX more powerful than PS4, Splatoon/Mario Maker ports in development

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is she specifically discrediting 10k's post (who never mentioned a specific GPU) or the posters in this thread who though they narrowed it down to a specific series and feature set based on the rumor?

10k made two massive tiered breakdowns based on volume of corroborated accounts

Emily only debunked what she knows to be untrue

10k coukd still have a high batting average if we weigh the info as it was intended to be weighed

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
The only thing other than LCGEEK'S info that I believe is Luigi's Mansion 3. That makes way too much sense.

Malus

Considering no one should have expected Polaris, the actual "dev source" may not be incorrect from 10k. A custom mesh of Polaris functionality and old GCN is well within the rumor bounds. Unless I missed a "its Polaris" leak somewhere, lol.

I'm guessing that Emily is debunking the idea of a Polaris-like GPU as described in the rumor.

bomblord1

Banned
Theory: Nintendo Ninjas themselves are purposefully behind these (untrue) leaks, including the controller one. They've been tasked with handing partially false info to people who then hand that false info to people on GAF/Reddit/etc. They're doing this to distract us from any possible real leaks.

Actually corporations putting people on fake projects to catch leakers is not unheard of.

Aurizen

All that power but what game will be made to make use of it? Mario Kart? They better bring it with this console if this is the case... Pokemon with Unreal Engine or something great.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Is she specifically discrediting 10k's post (who never mentioned a specific GPU) or the posters in this thread who though they narrowed it down to a specific series and feature set based on the rumor?

Considering no one should have expected Polaris, the actual "dev source" may not be incorrect from 10k. A custom mesh of Polaris functionality and old GCN is well within the rumor bounds. Unless I missed a "its Polaris" leak somewhere, lol.

That's the thing. Even 10ks original post just said Polaris. It never gave actual GPU #s. GPU arch ie Polaris could tell us some shit, but that doesn't mean it tells real GPU #s.

AMD and Nvidia have a HUGE fucking range of cards from $50 bucks to $1000. They can all share some form of an architecture too. Doesn't mean the power level is remotely in the same ballpark though.

Emily doesn't exactly clarify this either.

Theory: Nintendo Ninjas themselves are purposefully behind these (untrue) leaks, including the controller one. They've been tasked with handing partially false info to people who then hand that false info to people on GAF/Reddit/Twitter/etc. They're doing this to distract us from any possible real leaks.
I can 100% agree with this. It's been brought up before Nintendo is probably getting mixed info sent all around to keep people away from the truth. I'm at the point to where I believe this is happening.

The only thing I hope is true from 10ks source is Luigis Mansion 3!

RAWi

Here is what multiple sources close to Nintendo are telling me about 10k's hardware rumors: The gimmick is made up. GPU is wrong. Power level is wrong." "The specs on NX are good, but a lot of the information being shared in this thread is incorrect.

I was told that NX has good specs, but the info in this thread on the GPU and power level is just not correct. Sorry to burst everyone's hype.

"The NX GPU is using features that are debuting on the Polaris chip" (Under T1 Rumors - 5th paragraph)

"The NX gimmick." (Under T3 Rumors)

And I suppose that, also, every talk about GPU in this thread.

Roo

lmao this thread

5ZfkteX.gif

Suprised you was lurking for so long. Would of been hell if NX was strong as 4K huh?

Nope it would actually make me happy for nintendo, but just never seemed realistic for nintendo, and doesn't make any sense from a businesses prepective, slightly more powerful then ps4 with better cpu makes sense and that's a long shot for nintendo.

MuchoMalo

Banned

Nah. That's a waste of money and results in an exotic design that won't drop in price easily. It's GCN 1.1 or 1.2. Emily seems to be saying that even the "more powerful than PS4" is wrong, so I'm guessing that we're looking at the same GPU as XBox One but with all 14 CUs active. ~1.5 TFLOPS.

Sandfox

Nope it would actually make me happy for nintendo, but just never seemed realistic for nintendo, and doesn't make any sense from a businesses prepective, slightly more powerful then ps4 with better cpu makes sense and that's a long shot for nintendo.

I wouldn't really call that a "long shot".

Ouch so gimmick was a T3

Thats looking rough

At the very least throwing confusion into the mix. To have mutiple sources being downright debunked by emily

Very conflicting

NateDrake

That's the thing. Even 10ks original post just said Polaris. It never gave actual GPU #s. GPU arch ie Polaris could tell us some shit, but that doesn't mean it tells real GPU #s.

AMD and Nvidia have a HUGE fucking range of cards from $50 bucks to $1000. They can all share some form of an architecture too. Doesn't mean the power level is remotely in the same ballpark though.

Emily doesn't exactly clarify this either.

One of the key issues with these rumors are the vague details. Even with Emily's comment, it is vague on certain aspects and that makes it challenging to dismiss certain rumors in the OP.

Malus

To paraphrase 10k, she actually has sources, while 10k is just a guy on twitter.

It's more that she has a track record and 10k doesn't. Emily is just a girl on twitter too, who managed to wrangle some sources. 10k may have gotten in touch with some legit sources, especially when it comes to the original T4 rumor that Emily seems to corroborate.

Anyways that's another (somewhat vague) twig to throw on the fire of NX specs hype rumors:

- WSJ: "leading industry chips"
- LCGeek: "The CPU is better"
- IndieGamerChick: "Technically more powerful than PS4"
- 10k "Noticeably more powerful than PS4" (assuming Emily isn't contradicting this part, but only the Polaris and theoretically as or more powerful than PS4K rumor)
- Emily: "The specs are good"

Huh? LCGeek has already put up a W for that. But ok

MoonFrog

Hmmm...the gimmick was a T3 rumor but that might not be so bad if 10k was using many different sources and the other heavily supported rumors were supported by different sources. It does make all the rumors seems the same despite the tier system though, if T3 can be off-base. That said, even the T3 were always rumors.

I guess people read too much into the tier system?

IDK.

ozfunghi

There's a difference between "Polaris like" and where this thread took it with a literal 14nm Polaris gpu even going as far as a specific power threshold and estimated feature set being speculated.

I think Thraktor mentioned that those features might not be so easily cut and pasted from one architecture to another. And that it might be better to either go with polaris, or not at all. Or something along those lines. And when you do want polaris features, that it would likely mean 14nm. Going 28nm would be ruling that out, very likely.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Wii U<NX<PS4k (probably)
As I mentioned earlier, expect ~PS4 performance, anything more is a bad idea

I'm still wondering how they are going to hit PS4 level performance in a brand new console on 28nm, without pricing themselves out of the market. Something doesn't fit.

It's more that she has a track record and 10k doesn't. Emily is just a girl on twitter too, who managed to wrangle some sources. 10k may have gotten in touch with some legit sources, especially when it comes to the original T4 rumor that Emily seems to corroborate.

Anyways that's another (somewhat vague) twig to throw on the fire of NX specs hype rumors:

- WSJ: "leading industry chips"
- LCGeek: "The CPU is better"
- IndieGamerChick: "Technically more powerful than PS4"
- 10k "Noticeably more powerful than PS4" (assuming Emily isn't contradicting this part, but the Polaris and theoretically as or more powerful than PS4K rumor)
- Emily: "The specs are good"

Emily is saying the part about power levels is wrong.

Vena

Could someone just ask her on the GPU confusion? Maybe she can clarify a bit more so that we know what we're throwing out. :p

Doctre81

I expected polaris. :)

Not using Polaris makes no sense. AMD needs to have that shit in consumer products.

I am still not completely sure it is AMD supplying. For all we know they could be building an Apple mac apu and a
Windows laptop apu with full Xbone library support as their 2016 semi custom wins.

Commence Nvidia specualtion now!
or something mali, adreno, powervr

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom