• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: Playstation 4 to launch October 21st

To win a launch is really quite simple:

1. Be the first out within competing systems.
2. Cost the least within competing systems.
3. Have blockbuster launch titles.

The PS4 is lining up to nail all three.

I dunno, I'd say the Wii U is a "competing system" and is still doing extremely poorly so far despite nailing #1 and #2 out from under the PS4.

AniHawk

makes a good deal of sense. sony's no stranger to october launches, and the system will actually be out for the majority of the big holiday titles.

mrjohill

7uj6lM0.gif

Where is this from?

Toki767

If it did launch on the 21st, it's possible Sony could pull some 7 day exclusivity window deal for AC4 and BF4. It's not as though stores won't have them in stock a week early. They just can't sell them.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
PS3/X360 games even released 2 weeks before Black Friday have had price cuts

Last BF:

Ass Creed III $60, 2 weeks later $35
Borderlands 2 (September release), $25-30
etc.

Don't expect the same for PS4/X1, maybe a title or two will get the discounted 25% that aren't selling well

Only Toys R' Us had deal for BF for a new console game bonanza last year with the WiiU
Something like 2 games for $70, so each new WiiU title cost you $35, rather than the $50 asking price

Vire

If you going to pick a fake date at least have it launch on ANYTHING but a Monday.

Nothing is ever released on Mondays.

Not games, not movies or any electronics.

Kyoufu

What would they launch with? 3rd party titles aren't ready by then, I thought? Unless they launch with digital versions first...

paparazzo

He also said:
Sorry for the late reply I got caught up in an epic lego session with my five year old.

The release dates are usually accurate within a couple days barring any unforeseen delays. For example we had GTA 5 listed as spring 2013 and had also received presale cards from R* with that date on them only to have the launch date bumped to fall. November nothing is ever 100%, but things usually come out when they are listed.
My money's on Friday, Oct. 25.

Won't be much content for it day and date.

EA/2k sports titles and their two big exclusives (Knack/Killzone).

Though, getting the system out before MS has a value of its own.

I could see this being true.

Maybe it's more like "The week of" the 21st.

vega435

Banned
I always had a feeling that it would have to come sometime around the time some of the first next gen titles are released. I know BF4 is slated to come out either that week or the following, but i'm not too sure about AC4

Additional thoughts:

1. You get it out into the initial hands of preorders/early adopters months ahead of the holidays.

2. Kiosks/demos go out.

3. Market the shit out of it.

4. Black Friday approaches, holidays approach.

5. Enough time to churn out stock for the holiday rush and marketing.

If they can make this happen, they will have nailed it.
Exactly. Get the hardcore fans out of the way in October, then in November, the word of mouth and advertising gets kicked into overdrive, ship everything they got for the holidays... my god it would be perfect.

LtOrange

This would explain why Gamestop is doing that upgrade deal for XB1 games and not PS4 versions. The PS4 will be on the shelves when most of the games in the promotion launch.

No way DriveClub is ready in like 6 weeks. Killzone Knack plus sports isn't that great. The 29th makes more sense. Out before X1 and a better launch lineup with two more AAA titles.

If it's true and if PS4 sells a lot, Killzone will have all this amazing time to get recognition and grow a bigger fanbase, without worrying about any competition, until Battlefield and COD get released.

Don't fuck up the MP GG! Goddammit, don't fuck this up!

Top Bottom