• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: Playstation 4 to launch October 21st

Alienous

PS4 to launch barely before the Xbox One? Can't say I'm surprised after how long it took the PS3 to catch up to the 360.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I don't give a damn when it's release to be honest, I just want the boot up sound to be the PS2 boot up sound. Nail it home Sony!

Wow. So if it really comes out that early, how are they gonna handle the launch day bundles with games that release all the way in November such as Watch Dogs?

majik13

Doesn't BF4 launch a week later? Odd.

odd indeed. As I have a PS4 BF4 launch day bundle

If BF4 does indeed launch a week later.

Then that means

...either this is false,

or could it be a retailer shipping/arrival date?

edit: nevermind bundles are unofficial.

Or next gen consoles get the game early (doubt that)

or somethign else I am missing likely.

The time frame sounds ideal for a launch. The date sounds off, Monday just never works for retail in the USA. I really wish they would do all console launches on Saturdays so we can get them at midnight and have the entire weekend to burn playing it.

Boss Man

I dunno, I'd say the Wii U is a "competing system" and is still doing extremely poorly so far despite nailing #1 and #2 out from under the PS4.
I really don't think the Wii U is a competing system. I think Nintendo has (very consciously) carved its own identity aside from the other consoles, which is actually pretty smart. I've never seen anyone ask, "PS4 or Xbox One...or Wii U?" In fact, I haven't really seen that sort of thing since about a year after the Wii launched.

This is not a knock on the Wii U. It was the same situation with the Wii.

Think of it this way:
  • What would happen to PS4 sales if Microsoft sold the Xbox One for $99 with no strings attached?
  • What would happen to PS4 sales if Nintendo sold the Wii U for $99 with no strings attached?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Launch in October with BF4, AC4, Fifa and Sony first party, get the initial rush out of the way, build hype, and then get your second shipment in before Black Friday to go up against Xbox one launch.

Sounds good to me.

Can we have it in Europe then too please Sony?

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Wow. So if it really comes out that early, how are they gonna handle the launch day bundles with games that release all the way in November such as Watch Dogs?

None of those bundles are official so it's not like they'll be in the PS4 box. I imagine that whoever the retailer is would just ship you the game you pre ordered it with when it was released.

Pistolero

Mmmm...yeah...I'll wait for Sony to announce the date before rejoycing. Seems a bit odd, especially that some of the first party software (Driveclub) doesn't seem ready.

Discs get printed a lot earlier. Either they will reward the users with early release, or they will have two separate shipments. Remember, these arent official bundles and can be releases as they please.

Into

If true, it just goes along with the whole Sony kicking MS in the balls any chance they get. So if they can get it out earlier in large enough numbers, they will take advantage of that. They seem laser focused on just countering MS at every turn

They would also, for the first time in PlayStation history actually have quite a steady roll of major games coming out. FIFA, Madden, Assassins Creed 4 CoD, Battlefield 3 and it just goes on and on is something you saw back in the PS2 days when it launched with Tekken Tag and Madden 2001

Hopefully they will have more than 500k units for launch for NA, they will sell that out with ease

calder

I've always had October 29th in mind as the most logical date assuming no delays to launch titles, but being a bit early would be awesome.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I always look for thrustworthy inside information in Tales from my ass threads.

but this could be legit, who knows. Doesn't sound impossible

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Mmmm...yeah...I'll wait for Sony to announce the date before rejoycing. Seems a bit odd, especially that some of the first party software (Driveclub) doesn't seem ready.
If the games aren't ready, a matter of weeks isn't going to change that. The games can be delayed, if need be.

But the games for new systems never look "ready" in the months before release, since there's so much work going on in parallel, right up tom release.

IIRC, there are no official bundles, so they'll probably just send the games after?

Yeah that's how Amazon would do it. They'll ship it as it comes. So the BF4 bundle, they'll ship the system and the one year of plus first, and then a week later ship out BF4 to the buyers.

Launching on a Monday is a bit odd, isn't it?

Historically:

PS1: Saturday
PS2: Thursday
PS3: Friday
PSP: Thursday
Vita: Wednesday

Doesn't that effectively prove Sony is capable of just about any date? Regardless, I think we probably should see a title revision given that:

Just so everyone knows all I have is our internal release schedule and nothing more. Nothing is cast in stone and things can change (though they rarely do). To clairify the 21st date means the week of. It could launch on the Monday though.

So we don't really mean "October 21st," we mean "The week of October 21st." (Mods, are you out there?) I think that would fit the actual rumor better. (Nealand's secondary post should probably go in the OP too if it isn't there already)

Also, this is horrifying:

cnxh.gif

Yeah that's how Amazon would do it. They'll ship it as it comes. So the BF4 bundle, they'll ship the system and the one year of plus first, and then a week later ship out BF4 to the buyers.

This would be amazing..I would have the system and be able to download all the FP2 games and enjoy them before I get my hands on BF4!

RoKKeR

So Battlefield 4 launching early on PS4 or do we gotta wait?

I imagine this is the case for a lot of cross gen titles. The 360/PS3/PC versions have set dates, while the next gen versions will be there at launch for both Xbox One and PS4. In this case, BF4, CoD Ghosts, Watch Dogs, AC4, and any other cross gen games would be launching 'early'.

Also, why is this a Monday? If we're talking US or hell, even Europe, there are almost no media launches/releases on Mondays, that's usually a Tuesday (US) or Friday (Europe) thing.

Edit: Looks like Sony launches consoles on whatever day they want, haha.

rothbart

Launching on a Monday is a bit odd, isn't it?

Historically:

PS1: Saturday
PS2: Thursday
PS3: Friday
PSP: Thursday
Vita: Wednesday

Your pattern observing skills are unmatched. ONE day launched two systems while the rest were unique days. Mostly weekdays, occasionally a weekend... most launch days contained more than six letters in their name. Also, the last two launches were handhelds while the first three were home consoles. I see where you're going with this... 3 home consoles, 2 handhelds... Vita 2 launch confirmed for Oct 21 folks! :D

I kid, I kid... but when you have a list of 5 launches happening on 4 different days, it's pretty weak source data for noting ANY day of the week appears "odd"... ;)

I hope it's not the 12GB PS3... :/

Top Bottom