• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: Playstation 4 to launch October 21st

No midnight launches in uk if that's the case, pretty sure sunday trading laws run from 10pm saturday to 6am monday or something stupid, of course this only matters to larger stores, however their are alot of regulations regarding being able to refuse to work on sundays, increased wages etc.

The only midnight launches would probably be small independent shops, so not game or tesco or asda or anywhere like that.

your trying to deter me from getting my PS4... How dare you!
ill wait at midnight and erm... Wrap up incase you are correct lol

GodofWine

Its a believeable date.

This release date would stagger some of amazons bundles, bf4 and watch dogs day one bundles would not ship day 1, which may actually be a good move giving sony a staggered amazon release schedule, easing some of the stress on amazons logistics.

QuiteUndead

Neo Member
anticipation.gif

Dat Oct pick up thread is going to be crazy

Paganmoon

Launch title means launch title, and I doubt any of these huge, AAA games are going to slip or miss the PS4's or Xbox One's launch date.

So you're saying they'll wait till all the AAA games of this fall/winter/holiday season are released, and then release the consoles?

Launch title, is launch window I'd say.

JABEE

Its a believeable date.

This release date would stagger some of amazons bundles, bf4 and watch dogs day one bundles would not ship day 1, which may actually be a good move giving sony a staggered amazon release schedule, easing some of the stress on amazons logistics.

I would have to think those big third party titles are planned well enough to hit these console on launch day.

Third parties want to be there when people are lining up to get their system. If it's a launch title, it should be planned well enough to be there on October 21st if that is the date. Someone can correct me if my assumption is off.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I wouldn't take any of this so literally. These things are always subject to change, especially around console launches.

He's right, not sure why everyone keeps ignoring it. These are launch games, not launch window games. EA and Ubisoft have reiterated that fact several times already.

LvlNinety9

Neo Member
If this is true it would be a huge blow to Microsoft and the Xbox One. I for one am looking forward to the release of both consoles as I usually get both anyway. My wallet is going to be hurting soon.

Violater

He's right, not sure why everyone keeps ignoring it. These are launch games, not launch window games. EA and Ubisoft have reiterated that fact several times already.

Lets ride the hype train to Gamescon, there isn't much else going on this week.
Here tell me if this smell like chloroform.....

When those quotes were made it's possible Sony hadn't finalized the date. Maybe they were able to bump the console launch up a couple weeks.

I don't see why that's hard evidence.

KoopaTheCasual

Nope, this is already in our stock and to be released on the 18th if memory serves me right.

Edit:Reading page three right now. Just so everyone knows all I have is our internal release schedule and nothing more. Nothing is cast in stone and things can change (though they rarely do). To clairify the 21st date means the week of. It could launch on the Monday though.

As I said I am not an insider, just a normal guy. This rumor is not anything but a rumor right now, you guys know just about everything I do now.

And also for my own privacy and security I won't be answering personal questions. I really don't want to get fired.

A huge detail that people are overlooking. I wouldn't count on the 21st at all, since it's a Monday. I could see anything from Thursday the 24th, through Saturday the 26th, being the actual release date.

I would say not even Sony knows for sure yet.

Uh oh? I don't know what to make of this post. It sounds sorta ominous, but is it necessarily a bad thing, Matt? Like, is it possible that in the week of the 21st, that Sony hasn't settled on an exact date? Or are they actually running behind? Either way, I'm fairly confident we'll get our answer in 7 days at Gamescom. It's now or never, Sony.

HT UK

October would be awesome. But it seems a little early to me.

COD, Battlefield, Watch Dogs, AC4 etc. wouldn't be out.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Not buying this as a PS4 launch date.

I don't see them launching in advance of COD, Assassins' Creed and Watch Dogs. There would be nothing on the shelves to buy with the system.

In theory, they could try persuade publishers to pull forward release dates ahead of current gen releases, but I don't see that happening.
It could be a soft date, as Nealand has pointed out. But, regardless, launch date is mostly for the preorder and camp-out crowd - those folks aren't there for the massive day 1 library of games.

Also, let's not overlook digital-only games and any other day 1 digital services.

Just so everyone knows all I have is our internal release schedule and nothing more. Nothing is cast in stone and things can change (though they rarely do). To clairify the 21st date means the week of. It could launch on the Monday though.

A huge detail that people are overlooking. I wouldn't count on the 21st at all, since it's a Monday. I could see anything from Thursday the 24th, through Saturday the 26th, being the actual release date.

I posted this before, but I'll requote this to reiterate. The rumor is about the week of October 21st, not October 21st. Should be in the OP and the title should be revised.

Elios83

If true that's great but I think it's a bit early, the week from October 28th to November 3rd seems more realistic assuming they're ready to launch before the holiday season.
So I assume this might be an other placeholder date.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess

But they would be coming. It would plant the idea into people's heads to preorder those versions instead of the current gen ones. Would help establish the console quicker.

DieH@rd

Banned

Why shold that be important? Launch consoles are already sold out. 3rd party will be happy will be happy because install base will be minimally better, and Sony will be happy because 1st party titles will be featured more at launch.

No midnight launches in uk if that's the case, pretty sure sunday trading laws run from 10pm saturday to 6am monday or something stupid, of course this only matters to larger stores, however their are alot of regulations regarding being able to refuse to work on sundays, increased wages etc.

The only midnight launches would probably be small independent shops, so not game or tesco or asda or anywhere like that.

I don't think that same rule applies to Scotland. Asda only close at Christmas and new year.

Krakn3Dfx

If true I still think Xbox could launch earlier. They've already got console in box and could be ready to go at any time.

Not really, just because they had a console in a box to show off in an unboxing video doesn't mean their yields will support earlier shipping. I'm not saying they can't, but it's not a given. Plus, they have that whole Day One patch thing they're doing, that'll have to be ready to go.

Matt

Uh oh? I don't know what to make of this post. It sounds sorta ominous, but is it necessarily a bad thing, Matt? Like, is it possible that in the week of the 21st, that Sony hasn't settled on an exact date? Or are they actually running behind? Either way, I'm fairly confident we'll get our answer in 7 days at Gamescom. It's now or never, Sony.

Didn't mean it like that. I'm sure Sony has a short list of days to would be happy with, as I'm sure Microsoft does. They will be picking a day from that list relatively soon, if they have not already.

Would be awesome. Get that initial launch rush out of the way and then Sony would have a chance of actually having some stock on black Friday and leading up to Christmas.

Into

Launch consoles will sell out regardless what games came out, all the major third party games would come out on a weekly basis.

It would be very easy to create momentum that would last for the rest of the year with massive games coming out.

Plus they might have some of the F2P games ready at launch or near launch.

The absolute biggest games are the third party titles, as neither Sony or MS has any of their biggest games ready for their new consoles. So the strategy is to launch earlier and gain momentum to such a extent where the console launching later would get dwarfed out, especially with the price tag that the X1 is carrying around.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
When those quotes were made it's possible Sony hadn't finalized the date. Maybe they were able to bump the console launch up a couple weeks.

I don't see why that's hard evidence.

We're dealing in rumors right now, nothing to do with hard evidence. There's just no reason to assume they meant launch window when they specifically said launch day several times. In the specific cases of Battlefield 4 and ACIV which have 10/29 dates, I don't even see how it would be an issue.

How often do shipments typically arrive?
They might be able to get 1/2 in by Christmas which could help a great deal, particularly if there aren't enough Xbox's.

This date would give the exclusives a little time alone on the shelf, and would mean that not everything is on the shelf at once (which could be a good thing).

We're dealing in rumors right now, nothing to do with hard evidence. There's just no reason to assume they meant launch window when they specifically said launch day several times. In the specific cases of Battlefield 4 and ACIV which have 10/29 dates, I don't even see how it would be an issue.

I said that because the poster originally said this: "Stop, this is all false."

farisr

Been saying for a while that Sony is probably going to launch in the later part of October, just because MS has announced a November launch date and Sony seems to be getting great projections for console output (and they want to launch first this time around).

And once again, I'll say it, if this does happen, they may very well time a second shipment for the day the xbox one launches in an attempt to get some impulse buys off of people who went to buy an xbox one but couldn't manage to get one on launch day (did wonders for the 360 on the ps3 launch day, and also accomplishes directly taking the consumer base away from the competitor).

Top Bottom