• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Red Dead Redemption 2, sequel to 13+ million game, is coming, has co-op

This better be on the fucking PC day 1. And Co-op sounds amazing. Hope it's 4 player co-op and not just 2.

Not a cats chance in hell will this be on the PC day 1. Rockstar have a long fine rich history of shafting PC gamers. If this new RDR comes to the PC (and it is a pretty big if) you are probably looking at around a year to 18 months after the console release.

UrbanRats

Rockstar San Diego started working on it as soon as GTA V was finished. It is well into production. Do not ask me how I know this.
That late? so basically they started working on it last year?

Calamity Jane, Annie Oakley, and a cursory Google search shows more, but none as famous.

They could be progressive and make one of the protagonists a female Native American. Trying to stay "historically accurate" is a cop-out and being lazy when it comes to women characters.

BTW i didn't say anything about historical accuracy.
I couldn't care less about it, and there were plenty of female outlaws anyway.

I was just trying to imagine what they'll do based on their past MO (been following R* since GTA1 days after all).

Nor was i expressing what I would personally love to see, as i'm not even sure what that would be, beyond character creation, which they won't have since storytelling seems to be a big deal to them (regardless of results).

Seanspeed

Banned
Western isn't just one genre.

So Rockstar can make various games in each of these sub genres before it becomes tiring, and they would also have the opportunity to make open world games set in a country that is not the United States.
If only all video games had to do was tell a story, I'd agree with you.

And sure, a western set somewhere other than the US would be interesting, but you know that's not gonna happen.

Lady Gaia

I never played Revolver, but I thoroughly enjoyed Redemption despite not generally liking Western tropes. The landscape was the true star in that title. Can that feeling be recaptured? Or should they shake it up? Imagine the possibilities...

Science Fiction: Red Dead Redistricted where a time travel experiment brings an era-appropriate character into the modern age on an alternate timeline, and we get to experience both the past and the present in an intertwined story.

Survival Horror: Red Dead Reanimated marries zombies and the old west in a unique take on the genre.

Prison Life: Red Dead Rehabilitation explores the earliest days of federal incarceration for a notorious female outlaw, Orange is the New Black-style.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Red Dead 2: Redder Deader Redemptioner

Guys...

how about...

we just drop the subtitle in general?

Just

"Red Dead"

It's much cleaner.

tumblr_mbas0bLDsm1qetjy4o1_r1_500.gif

Kinthalis

Banned
Not a cats chance in hell will this be on the PC day 1. Rockstar have a long fine rich history of shafting PC gamers. If this new RDR comes to the PC (and it is a pretty big if) you are probably looking at around a year to 18 months after the console release.

I don't know about day 1, but I imagine a PC release is in the cards. These new consoles are basically low end gaming PC's.

The architecture is similar enough that it should be trivial to port.

They'll probably release on consoles firtst, make a killing, and then go PC, catching a few doubel dippers who want the smoother experience.

theRizzle

I don't particularly want it to be Grand Theft Horse (more than it already is) but I can't help but think how awesome it would be to have the multiple character style that GTA 5 has. Even if it's only 1 real playable main character but a couple secondary guys you can switch to during missions.

Imagine doing a train robbery as a GTA 5 style heist with switchable characters (option to have those other characters played by a friend instead of AI since there's co-op). It makes my cactus prickly.

Thabass

Imagine doing a train robbery as a GTA 5 style heist with switchable characters (option to have those other characters played by a friend instead of AI since there's co-op). It makes my cactus prickly.

I have to make sure my dick isn't reading this post. I will start spewing all over the place.

BTW i didn't say anything about historical accuracy.
I couldn't care less about it, and there were plenty of female outlaws anyway.

I was just trying to imagine what they'll do based on their past MO (been following R* since GTA1 days after all).

Nor was i expressing what I would personally love to see, as i'm not even sure what that would be, beyond character creation, which they won't have since storytelling seems to be a big deal to them (regardless of results).
I was talking to the other guy I quoted about women outlaws and historical accuracy. You mentioned a native protagonist so I was replying to that with my statement on a woman native.

I should've split up the post.

TheKurgan

Red Dead was my favorite game in the PS3/360 generation. I would consider picking up a new console just to play the sequel. I freakin love Rockstar games!

ezekial45

Banned
What setting should it have? RDR was during the 'end' of the old west, which I what I found most interesting about it. I wouldn't mind seeing something like that again, or perhaps during the 1920's prohibition era (a la Boardwalk Empire). Though the atmosphere of the old west is what makes Red Dead what it is.

Joco

Are we talking campaign co-op? As Red Dead Redemption totally had co-op, just not in campaign mode.

Guevara

What setting should it have? RDR was during the 'end' of the old west, which I what I found most interesting about it. I wouldn't mind seeing something like that again, or perhaps during the 1920's prohibition era (a la Boardwalk Empire). Though the atmosphere of the old west is what makes Red Dead what it is.

I'd rather they go earlier. Like: 90% of the map is unexplored territory, confrontations with Native Americans, few settlements.

8bit

Knows the Score
And why should they? It was a garbage game by Capcom.

RDR marks the start for the franchise IMO.

Red Dead Redemption 2 it is.

The version of Red Dead Revolver eventually released was pretty good IMO. Capcom's vision might have been flawed but Rockstar got a pretty good game out of that.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
As long as PC follows at some point, this could be incredible. They could basically just make the first one again and I'd be happy.

RoKKeR

We've heard this for a while but hearing it again always warrants a "Fuck YES" out of me.

So hell fucking yes. My most anticipated game maybe ever.

Fjordson

They they just can go earlier. Like Vice City and San Andreas being set earlier than GTA III.

It's part of the beauty of having Redemption being set so late. They still have like an entire century to explore.

I'll never stop believing in Max Payne 3's combat living on, it is my faith, it is my religion.

While I wouldn't want it to be/feel like a direct continuation of MP3's combat, building upon and borrowing elements from that game for this one would be best. Enemy hit reactions (though RDR's were probably as good as MP3's in their own way), prone/diving (not tied to bullet-time/dead eye though, and not as central to combat), dual wielding, dropping weapons, bullet-time moments (e.g. the chain-swinging bullet-time moment from MP3), melee executions/disarms and environmental destruction would all be welcome. RDR's NPC injured limping/crawling and getting guns shot out of their hands needs to be back and expanded upon though. Enemies getting back up after getting shot in the chest like nothing happened in MP3 was a stain on the overall gameplay.

MP3 weapon limit? That might make for some more interesting shootouts where you're desperately diving for other weapons laying around after tossing aside your empty ones.

There also needs to be some kind of auto-pilot for horses when the player is shooting, at least during story-missions, but that's another topic entirely

Revven

Duuuuuuuuuuuuuude oh my gooooooooddddddddddd, RDR 2 with co-op!? I'm HYPED! I loved RDR a shitton and co-op would just be... wow! A freaking dream, two cowboys goin' around... oh man. The co-op stuff in MP they introduced in RDR was already really cool so I can't wait to see what they do (if anything unique) to the co-op in a non-multiplayer setting.

Kezen

Banned

Sadly this seems like the most realistic case.

oh my

ahhhhhhhhhhh congrats OP on passing the Bish test.

Using my imagination so hard right now since no pics

This has got to be one of the megatons at PSX. GTAV is finally out so R* should show what they have coming next.

The Argus

If they do the multiple character thing like GTA V I hope one is a Native American. The other character could be a prairie rancher chick like Bonnie. It would be cool to see both sides of Manifest Destiny.

Top Bottom