• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Rumor] Same-sex relationships removed from Fire Emblem: Fates in Italy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mael

Nintendo must be really surprised how, of their entire stable of game franchises, it would be seemingly fringe ones such as Fire Emblem and Tomadachi Life that seem to cause the most controversy.

Disappointing news if true.

Tomodachi is hardly fringe, it's one of their biggest runaway success as of late.
At the rate it's growing it should easily pass stuffs like Zelda.
It's already beyond anything Metroid ever did.
Fire Emblem isn't even fit to be in the same category considering all the stuffs thefring stufff they''re removing were put there in a bid to have the game sell and have the IP saved from being put in the same box as Fzero.

fernoca

More proof tthat some people just need to take a few pills or smoke something to relax before posting. :p

EU version doesn't even have a release date.

KoopaTheCasual

What do you expect when "it's just localization" has been used to shut down these discussions for so many months now? I'd rather we not have this argument now either but I'd rather we never had it in the first place.
Because the fact of the matter is, it IS just localization. However, in this case this instance of localization further infringes upon a historically oppressed minority.

So, even if this is just normal localization, it has now forced itself into a civil rights issue.

patapuf

EU games are held up to the standards of every region they are released in. It might not be the case for Italy--but if NoE does business in Russia and seeks to release a Russian version of the game?

Well, uh. Yeah. The EU release would include a Russian language option and the copy of the game sold in Sweden would be the exact same copy as one sold in Russia.

For reference.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_banned_video_games

Yeah but depicition of homosexuality isn't banned in italy.

And this is a multi 5 release. Russian legislation isn't relevant.

danmaku

That's why i'm against any form of censorship.

It takes away from the public the chance to form an opinion by themeselves.

Human pets ? Do it !

Gay relationships ? Go for it.

Let ME approve or disapprove.

This. I doubt this rumor is true, though. It could happen in Italy, but wouldn't fly with the rest of Europe and they can't make a special version just for Italy.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Now THIS is a problem. :(

Fan service and civil rights are not the same thing. Blushing anime girls (and guys) whose faces you can rub have not been historically oppressed and denied representation. They have not been told they don't exist, persecuted for how they were born, and denied the same space to find partners as everyone else.

Including same sex relationships is passive activism and valuable because it acknowledges a humanitarian conversation being had all over the world. Including same sex relationships sends a message of normalcy and encourages acknowledgment of different sexual orientations.

Including alienating fan service is, simply, not any of these things.

Not all content is created equal. A creator or company deciding to remove certain content has more weight when it reinforces a historically problematic dialog about the validity of human sexuality.

Yup.

Still waiting on a confirmation before anything, but this isn't remotely equal to the removal of bad fan-service.

It's actually fucking ridiculous that some think a petting mini game is on the same level as same sex relationships.

But I suppose I shouldn't be surprised on gaming side.

It's honestly embarrassing that some people are framing the removal of the minigame and this as the "same thing."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom