• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Rumor] Same-sex relationships removed from Fire Emblem: Fates in Italy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Except it stands the very real possibility of being mandated by a government to see release in a region.

That is censorship and goes against freedom of speech. It's not localized changes, it's a hand being forced by a government agency. The difference is staggering.

Sorry, I didn't read clearly enough to see that it has government influence. Then this is actually censorship.

Par Score

This is totally unacceptable if true.

The people comparing this to the removal of the creepy petting minigame / date rape / gay conversion stuff just to score some internet points can do one.

I understand the basics of how people could conflate the two as they're both cutting content to make the game more "palatable" to some segment of society, but this is a perfect illustration of the, "Is this the hill you want to die on?" question.

I'd go to the wall defending an oppressed social group. Not so much for a "touch this anime person" mini-game. Perhaps some would suggest that still creates for a slippery slope, but I feel pretty confident that I can separate the significance of these two topics.

Exactly.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
The people who wanted censorship got censorship.
Those who want to experience the developers vision as they created it got screwed by the publishers.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I just looked it up and at least the version i get in switzerland includes French/german/italian/english. I don't think italians get their "own" version.
Yeah, I don't think individual nations getting their own version is a thing. They're always the same with a language option at the start, usually EFIGS.

I know, my point is that's the reason why they made the decision, but I don't agree with cutting it at all.

"My co-workers are black so this is proof that oppression doesn't exist"

Homophobia is not freedom of speech

And You asked me if I met anyone of a different "race", I just anwered your question. Dont move your goal posts because I'm not even in your game.

And are you insinuating that I'm a homophobic or did I read too much?

Of course removing petting is not comparable to removing gay relationships. But to soccer moms it's all the same and a videogame company should not cater to their whims

I fucking can't with the straight guys in here acting as if removing a petting mini game or fan service is on the same level as removing same sex marriage.

I'm out. Not going to be told by a group of people who don't understand what it is like to be constantly discriminated against in many forms of media that those two things are even in the same ballpark.

Please explain to me how same-sex relationships and drugging women/objectifying their bodies are even remotely the same thing.

Sis, it's useless.

NoKisum

So now is this censorship or is this still just localization?

Since this version is being released in a country where the Vatican has supreme influence, I'd say it's localization. Nintendo has always been a company that tries to offend as little people as possible. I mean they took the phrase "Oh my God" out of localized Mario Party for the same reason.

Mael

And just like that I'm no longer interested at all about the game.
Thanks Italy for ruining the game for us.
Editor meddling is not always for the best, this is the kind of stuffs that bring the pitchfork out of their proverbial closets.
They should have just canceled the Italian version and made them import or made a special Italian version or something.
I hope they think it's worth coddling the Italian market to the detriment of all the other EU markets.
You fucked up Shibata.

Warxard

Banned
Lot of people in here in a rush to call out imaginary hypocrisy.

this is the 'GOTCHA!' scenario most people here (the oppressed anime masses) need to justify throwing the 'censorship' and 'hypocrisy' thing around

--

there's plenty of creepy ass anime minigames in other creepy ass anime games. there's very few creepy ass anime games that have same sex relationships (as hamfisted as it is in FE: Fates it's still representation)

people making the connection between the two are seriously grasping at straws with some fucked up fallacies

Abriael

Banned
Incidentally, the wording and formatting of that mail doesn't match any of the mail I normally receive from Nintendo Italy's PR office. For instance, they don't use the header like that. Unfortunately I cannot post an example, because it's obviously confidential.

That adress (via Carlo galbussera, Vimercate) also isn't their PR office, but their distribution department, and it seems VERY strange for the distribution dept to deal with journalists at all. That's the PR department's job, especially when handling that kind of information.

So, before you guys start waging war against each other again ... i've got an idea:

We do have italian Gaffers, could one of you please contact Nintendo directly and just blatantly ask about this?

reddit thread starter already contacted them
I actually phoned Nintendo Italy today and I've been told 'can't publicly talk about this at the moment'.
*Please take note that we are this month in a currently controversial situation about homosexual weddings, which is not legal now, due to Vatican pressure, as you can read in New York Times (I'll post the article in the comment). *

Atolm

This is likely to be censorship because there stands a very real possibility that it's government mandated if it winds up being true.

Hahaha you're suggesting the Italian government cares about some petty video game and is capable of issuing a censorship order?

You guys, sometimes...

Jarmel

Banned
Since this version is being released in a country where the Vatican has supreme influence, I'd say it's localization. Nintendo has always been a company that tries to offend as little people as possible. I mean they took the phrase "Oh my God" out of localized Mario Party for the same reason.

It looks to be the entire EU version, not just Italy.

LeleSocho

Banned
By the way it's worded (i'm Italian) it seems that all EU versions have this took out not only the Italian so... buckle up.

I fucking can't with the straight guys in here acting as if removing a petting mini game or fan service is on the same level as removing same sex marriage.

I'm out. Not going to be told by a group of people who don't understand what it is like to be constantly discriminated against in many forms of media that those two things are even in the same ballpark.

Sis, it's useless.
yeah, its pretty.um

fernoca

It's a rumor. I'd wait to hear from an official source before jumping to any conclusions.
Yeah.
If true it sucks. And lets not forget that the EU version doesn't have a release date yet.

That maybe they waited for NoAs translation to be finished and then make changes like this one...who knows.

But hard to say one way or the other based on one post.

Incidentally, the wording and formatting of that mail doesn't match any of the mail I normally receive from Nintendo Italy's PR office. For instance, they don't use the header like that. Unfortunately I cannot post an example, because it's obviously confidential.

That adress (via Carlo galbussera, Vimercate) also isn't their PR office, but their distribution department, and it seems VERY strange for the distribution dept to deal with journalists at all. That's the PR department's job, especially when handling that kind of information.
yeah this sounds like 100% BS anyway

Sylas

Hahahahaha, it's a game, a work of fiction, of course it isn't government mandated

...What? Are you daft? An idiot? Ignorant? This has literally happened in Australia with other games. A government agency can 100% dictate what is and is not allowed into their country through import laws. If your work of fiction contains elements they deem illegal, they can bar it from sale through traditional marketplaces.

Hahaha you're suggesting the Italian government cares about some petty video game and is capable of issuing a censorship order?

You guys, sometimes...

Again, this isn't about Italy. Unlike here in the good ol' USA, EU games have to pass standards across every region they're released in and have to fall in line with the laws for those regions. Australia cared enough about South Park: The Stick of Truth to bar it from retail sale unless it had certain scenes removed from that version of the game. This happens. It's actually censorship.

KoopaTheCasual

Now THIS is a problem. :(

Fan service and civil rights are not the same thing. Blushing anime girls (and guys) whose faces you can rub have not been historically oppressed and denied representation. They have not been told they don't exist, persecuted for how they were born, and denied the same space to find partners as everyone else.

Including same sex relationships is passive activism and valuable because it acknowledges a humanitarian conversation being had all over the world. Including same sex relationships sends a message of normalcy and encourages acknowledgment of different sexual orientations.

Including alienating fan service is, simply, not any of these things.

Not all content is created equal. A creator or company deciding to remove certain content has more weight when it reinforces a historically problematic dialog about the validity of human sexuality.
This 100%.

It's incredibly sad that as soon as this news broke, many people in this thread's IMMEDIATE reaction was an "in your face!" moment, and not discussing the larger civil rights issue at play. It reeks of not caring at all about the actual issue of this thread and feeling vindicated in their aggression over their mini-game being cut.
I'm loving this backfire.
Case and point.

Please grow up.

Jawmuncher

I agree with what was said earlier. This is the problem with cutting stuff to begin with in games for localization needs. You never know how far a branch will go.

This why I hate any form of editing or censorship. Whether its head patting, blood n gore, sex, relationships, language. It's all terrible. This is just bad news all around.

Which is funny given how dark so many other themes in past Fire Emblems seemed to squeak on by with no issues.

How pathetic. Are you comparing a major civil rights issue with essentially drugging someone and a face touching minigame?

Sad part is you, probably wrote that thinking how clever you are and all it did was show your ignorance.

Mael

This is likely to be censorship because there stands a very real possibility that it's government mandated if it winds up being true.
VERDI
Victor Emmanuel Rei De Italia.
Vatican no longer control any significant part of Italy.

No he's insinuating that you don't know what you're talking about because you literally said that oppression doesn't exist. That kind of comment comes off as extremely sheltered

Well, I live outside of a bubble and where I live, where I go, any place I got to see in my life, I see no oppression.

I see people being people, bad people, good people, stupid people, doing good things and shitty things for another person. People abusing, getting abused, and so on. Humans.

So no. I'm really not into this "oppression" thing.

Azuran

Banned

Trust me its not. I'm pretty sure the Italian Government doesn't even know Fire Emblem exists.

DNAbro

so it might be false news to drum up controversy?

...What? Are you daft? An idiot? Ignorant? This has literally happened in Australia with other games. A government agency can 100% dictate what is and is not allowed into their country through import laws. If your work of fiction contains elements they deem illegal, they can bar it from sale through traditional marketplaces.

So all fiction containing gay marriage is censored in Italy then is it?

kennyamr

so people are ok with them taking out some parts of the game like the petting minigame that was obviously ok for the Japanese audience but then freak out when they take some other parts from other regions.
That doesn't make sense, you are either ok with them taking out whatever they want or you are ok with the game being released for everyone as was originally intended by the developers.
If you didn't complain when they started modifying the game for our region, don't start now.

oh? hmmmm

And You asked me if I met anyone of a different "race", I just anwered your question. Dont move your goal posts because I'm not even in your game.

And are you insinuating that I'm a homophobic or did I read too much?

I was responding to someone else and I wasn't the one who asked the "race" question. In any case, the idea you expressed earlier that "oppression does not exist" is beyond ludicrous. Go read about slavery and its impact that still affects the world today, for one thing. Or the many ways that same-sex relationships have been treated for centuries (including punishment by death) across numerous world countries. Or the fact that there are places where women legally do not have the same rights as men. Or maybe that the Holocaust is a thing that happened in history. I'm sorry to say this but the fact that you can actually go out and say that oppression does not exist is one of the most ignorant opinions I have ever read and I highly implore that you educate yourself.

Thanks for this. I really hope the news ends up not being true.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member

Let's positive thinking!

diaspora

Well, that's news unto itself.

FluxWaveZ

Further indications that this rumor might be false. Good.

Drop

I really hope all of this ends up really being fake, thanks for the info.

Sylas

So all fiction containing gay marriage is censored in Italy then is it?

EU games are held up to the standards of every region they are released in. It might not be the case for Italy--but if NoE does business in Russia and seeks to release a Russian version of the game?

Well, uh. Yeah. The EU release would include a Russian language option and the copy of the game sold in Sweden would be the exact same copy as one sold in Russia.

For reference.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_banned_video_games

After Tomodachi and before the launch of NX? Nintendo would have been better served by not localizing the game at all. Which is why this rumor is weird.

Because creepy petting and drugging is the same thing as a basic civil right as same-sex relationships?
I don't care about that dumb mini game personally and I didn't in Pokemon Y but:

The petting thing, as I stated yesterday was meant to be endearing and a common trope in Japan. It's a sign of affection, not that they actually thing the person is an animal or having malicious intent. I think one would be able to tell the difference affection for pet and a person.

Also that drugging thing was mistranslated or something was it? I don't remember the story on that.
Gotta remove as much lurid content as they can get away with right?
4Dgp4Am.jpg
Wow. That's really silly.

?

Also people should look up how governments work before making posts :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom