• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Rumor] Same-sex relationships removed from Fire Emblem: Fates in Italy

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's actually fucking ridiculous that some think a petting mini game is on the same level as same sex relationships.

But I suppose I shouldn't be surprised on gaming side.

Semajer

So the Japanese get the full game. Americans lose the minigame and have changed supports. Europeans (assuming this is true) lose out on the minigame, have changed supports, and lose some supports which are the first of their kind in the series. Great. We still don't have a sodding release date either.

This is why I hate the removal of content. Sometimes you don't lose anything important to you, and sometimes you do. Sad to think that there are only two localised Fire Emblem games that don't have localisation shenanigans messing something up. Sadder to think that one of them is Shadow Dragon.

so people are ok with them taking out some parts of the game like the petting minigame that was obviously ok for the Japanese audience but then freak out when they take some other parts from other regions.
That doesn't make sense, you are either ok with them taking out whatever they want or you are ok with the game being released for everyone as was originally intended by the developers.
If you didn't complain when they started modifying the game for our region, don't start now.

can you just stop with the bullshit comparisons

-Horizon-

Incidentally, the wording and formatting of that mail doesn't match any of the mail I normally receive from Nintendo Italy's PR office. For instance, they don't use the header like that. Unfortunately I cannot post an example, because it's obviously confidential.

That adress (via Carlo galbussera, Vimercate) also isn't their PR office, but their distribution department, and it seems VERY strange for the distribution dept to deal with journalists at all. That's the PR department's job, especially when handling that kind of information.
Hopefully this is just a case of fear mongering from rumor mills looking to capitalize on clicks after the whole crapstorm yesterday.
I'm never a fan of any removal of content from games.

Kinsei

Banned
I don't care about that dumb mini game personally and I didn't in Pokemon Y but:

The petting thing, as I stated yesterday was meant to be endearing and a common trope in Japan. It's a sign of affection, not that they actually thing the person is an animal or having malicious intent. I think one would be able to tell the difference affection for pet and a person.

Also that drugging thing was mistranslated or something was it? I don't remember the story on that.

No it wasn't. There's a video of the proper translation that was meant to show that the scene was as bad as people were saying, but all it did was prove that the scene was as bad as people were saying.

fernoca

Yep. True or fake people need to relax and wait for better sources.

We live on an era were anyone can post a lie, spread it and cause headlines.

It makes for a really toxic environment.

Even if they would do this, they should not punish other countries in the EU with this decision where the gay marriage is legal.

This better be a bad joke.

Memory

Why would this be true when Nintendo just last week confirmed gay relationships are still in the game?

I'm calling bullshit, someone's shit stiring to get hits and throw shade at Nintendo.

Jakoo

Nintendo must be really surprised how, of their entire stable of game franchises, it would be seemingly fringe ones such as Fire Emblem and Tomadachi Life that seem to cause the most controversy.

Disappointing news if true.

Jarmel

Banned
...What? Are you daft? An idiot? Ignorant? This has literally happened in Australia with other games. A government agency can 100% dictate what is and is not allowed into their country through import laws. If your work of fiction contains elements they deem illegal, they can bar it from sale through traditional marketplaces.

Again, this isn't about Italy. Unlike here in the good ol' USA, EU games have to pass standards across every region they're released in and have to fall in line with the laws for those regions. Australia cared enough about South Park: The Stick of Truth to bar it from retail sale unless it had certain scenes removed from that version of the game. This happens. It's actually censorship.

Unless there is evidence that this was government dictated, there is no reason at this point to just assume so.

RAWi

But why?

That the real question here. Why is NoE doing this? There could be a real real real reason for not having gay relationships in the game. Since, it doesn't seem like NoA is cutting that up.

Have other games with gay relationships got censorship or localization (whatever you want) got this treatment in Italy?

I hope this is just a rumor and ends up not being real :3

poncle

"...to avoid a bad impact and protect the younger audience."

You know, just to add insult to injury.

Hope it's fake, but it wouldn't be the first time anyway.

-Horizon-

Wow, are we really getting to the point that people are attacking anime fans in this thread too? Holy crap, thought people were above this petty stuff but I guess not.

Even if they would do this, they should not punish other countries in the EU with this decision where the gay marriage is legal.

This better be a bad joke.

This is why I have hope this is just a false rumor.

It seems completely insane that Nintendo would risk receiving backlash from all the countries that have legalized same sex marriage, all for one country that happens to still be regressive on the issue.

Hoping that the rumor is debunked soon.

Abriael

Banned
PEOPLE SORRY FOR THE CAPS.

Better start packing, because I just got a reply from Nintendo Italy's PR Manager.

Translation below.

"Hello Giuseppe,

All is Well, Thank You,

I can easily confirm that the mail is a complete fake. Even the address of Nintendo Italy's HQ in Vimercate is wrong.

Have a nice Evening"

So yeah. There you have it.

Sylas

If it the rumor is right, I doubt it's just Italy. PAL copies are generally Multi5.

This is the point everyone is missing. PAL games have to be in compliance with every region supported by their language options. A game with the russian language option that seeks retail release in russia has to comply with russian laws. A game with german language options has to comply with german law.

Ralemont

not me
so people are ok with them taking out some parts of the game like the petting minigame that was obviously ok for the Japanese audience but then freak out when they take some other parts from other regions.
That doesn't make sense, you are either ok with them taking out whatever they want or you are ok with the game being released for everyone as was originally intended by the developers.
If you didn't complain when they started modifying the game for our region, don't start now.

A false equivalence and an all or nothing fallacy in just a few sentences. Well done.

Atolm

Please explain to me how same-sex relationships and drugging women/objectifying their bodies are even remotely the same thing.

So? I don't care if you're offended by it. I wouldn't even care if it involved children instead of grown up women.

The point is, neither you or I nor anyone should be able to impose our vision over what is "acceptable" and what isn't in the context of a movie, book, video game, whatever.

I have the feeling that GAF, being an overwhelming American forum, is mostly OK with these type if measures because they don't have a long history of the Government actively censoring stuff.

After Tomodachi and before the launch of NX? Nintendo would have been better served by not localizing the game at all. Which is why this rumor is weird.

b-but then we'll get a group of angry gamer at nintendo angrying why they don't localize the game :v

Better start packing, because I just got a reply from Nintendo Italy's PR Manager.

Translation below.

GOOD!

Warxard

Banned
What do you expect when "it's just localization" has been used to shut down these discussions for so many months now? I'd rather we not have this argument now either but I'd rather we never had it in the first place.

No, the discussion should be had. There's a clear fucking distinction of what should be axed, and what shouldn't.

I have the feeling that GAF, being an overwhelming American forum, is mostly OK with these type if measures because they don't have a long history of the Government actively censoring stuff.
LMAO

Translation below.

Oh thank god. Great job getting this cleared up.

EDIT: Holy shit, the top comment on the original reddit thread is fucking gross.

Requeim

Wow, are we really getting to the point that people are attacking anime fans in this thread too? Holy crap, thought people were above this petty stuff but I guess not.

It's the exact same people, why would it be any different from the other thread?

Hopefully this does turn out to be a fake rumor. Nintendo already went too far, there's no need to make it even worse.

Vena

And we're done.

This rumor is really dubious to me given its timing anyway, some bad taste is going around with this.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member

Translation below.

\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/

MrDaravon

This 100%.

It's incredibly sad that as soon as this news broke, many people in this thread's IMMEDIATE reaction was an "in your face!" moment, and not discussing the larger civil rights issue at play. It reeks of not caring at all about the actual issue of this thread and feeling vindicated in their aggression over their mini-game being cut.

Case and point.

Please grow up.

Yup lol. Even ignoring the fundamental differences between the petting minigame and this, the former's removal was an internal Nintendo decision (which I still think was probably largely predicated on VO costs more than anything), whereas as IF this is true this is a result from a direct outside party influencing if not outright mandating the decision. AKA actual real censorship, not censorship in the way people around here throw the word around. And you can't have an actual conversation with a lot of folks about this here because changing or cutting anything for any reason whatsoever is "censorship" and is a pure black and white issue no exceptions made, and now that this is (supposedly) happening they're more than happy to throw it back in everyone's faces gleefully like this is console war bullshit and it's an Us versus Them scenario. The level of discourse on GAF about this topic in particular is about the worst I've ever seen outside of straight up console war fighting, which is disappointing since GAF is usually better than this.

AHAHAHAHA okay

No it wasn't. There's a video of the proper translation that was meant to show that the scene was as bad as people were saying, but all it did was prove that the scene was as bad as people were saying.
Did you mean to have a "Wasn't" in there somewhere?

Translation below.

So it's shit stirring? Well that's good to hear that it's not true.

anime shaming started real early ITT

They have a history of shitting on anime and the people who like so just ignore them.

Anyways this is a change that I'm 100% against if true. Not only is it straight-up alienating LGBT fans in Europe but this would be a PR nightmare for NoE, far more than the petting minigame will ever be.

Oh it's fake. Crisis averted folks.

NotLiquid

Translation below.

Good.

Christ almighty the fact that this was actually believable for a while proves how much this game is a basket case.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member

Translation below.

Do you think you could ask if the minigame is going to be cut in the European version as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom