• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Rumor] Same-sex relationships removed from Fire Emblem: Fates in Italy

Status
Not open for further replies.

dan2026

I love how NOW Nintendo has gone too far.

Its ok when they remove the stuff I dont want but others do.
But all of a sudden it isnt so ok.

Banned
Jesus this games dialogue is getting butchered.

Just let it be. Everyone is so goddamn sensitive and close-minded.

asagami_

Banned
How convenient that this rumor appears after all the shit of the previous controversies, or I am wrong? This rumor is something fishy.

Arkeband

Banned
I wonder what it's like to be a developer/writer of these games, knowing that everything you're doing is subject to removal or censorship outside of your own small country.

The face groping minigame was legitimately odd, but this is really starting to seem like a slippery slope, where every country is getting a special sanitized version of the original.

It's getting ridiculous, in a society that pro-actively fight for homosexual rights, to see Nintendo pro-actively doing something that is the opposite. This is even more backward than doing nothing.

The thing is though, Nintendo is generally pretty progressive in terms of homosexual characters and situations. As a gay male and a Nintendo fan, I've been proud of some of the things included and how they do respond to criticism in terms of these issues, so this Italy thing is just a rumor at this point but still confusing.

And fuck the fan service bs, tired of hearing the complaining about that. This is a different thing.

At first, a gay conversion drugging scene, then a mode where people are "rubbed", and now gay relationships/marriage?

One of these things is not like the others.

Drop

Wait i don't understand this, did they remove relationships or marriage? Or are they the same thing in the game?

relationships have different ranks from C to A it's friendship at S they get married, the mail specifically says the S rank has been removed.

Apparently Italy is one of the few major EU countries where gay marriage isn't legal, sadly.

You're right though. Considering Nintendo as a whole, this seems extremely unlike them and borderline damaging to their worlwide image.

You're really comparing creepy dudes not being able to get off to anime titties, to homophobic practices which have oppressed people for how they were born for centuries? Come the fuck on.

There's no such thing as oppression. People see "oppression" even when they look in the mirror nowadays. Im not into this thing, sorry.

And yes, I'm comparing because it is the same thing. And I'm against BOTH censorships.

I hope this is sarcasm, because if it's not, I'm just going to be really disappointed that people that think like this are allowed to post on this forum.

No sarcasm. I'm just highlighting so people can see what they get if they support any kind of censorship. One day they take out something YOU don't like, then they take something that you care a lot for.

Nintendo shouldn't be afraid of bad press regarding this. The people who are going to complain about this are people who have very few chance to hear about the game and they are even less people who could be interested in these types of games or video games in general.

They should keep the creators free to do what they want since it's not insulting in all their games.

If they don't do this then artists won't be able to create anything except what we see in all AAA games :/

Also I think the same for games with waifus (the main concern for me regarding games like these is that they can't be under-age because it's illegal here)

Kouriozan

What's going on with Fire Emblem and censorship lately?
That would be weird to remove it just for a country, it would mean changing the language will put back a game feature as I don't see NoE making multiple SKU.

8bit

Knows the Score
I read that as the S Rank sections of same sex relationships are being removed, so curtailing the storyline and not outright removing the relationship. Not that I'm that concerned, Awakening was enough Fire Emblem for me for some time thank you.

Bring back Advance Wars! But not a grimdark version!

How convenient that this rumor appears after all the shit of the previous controversies, or I am wrong? This rumor is something fishy.

The other stuff is coming from NoA, this is coming from NoE. Regrettably the environment regarding same-sex relationships is pretty different between the two (since gay marriage is legal in the US and Canada, but there are some EU countries where it isn't).

It was kinda suspicious how NoE's been relatively silent on the game. :/ I'm honestly seriously disappointed in them if this is true. So much for the whole "NoE is better than NoA!" narrative. What a bunch of chickens.

There's no such thing as oppression. People see "oppression" even when they look in the mirror nowadays. Im not into this thing, sorry.

And yes, I'm comparing because it is the same thing. And I'm against BOTH censorships.

Unbelievable. I'm just... wow. Unbelievable.

There's no point in entertaining this conversation. At a fucking loss for words right now.

Alright, I'll admit I defended the head patting and dialogue change in the past since I thought they made sense in localization.

But this? This is clearly too far.

Drop

I read that as the S Rank sections of same sex relationships are being removed, so curtailing the storyline and not outright removing the relationship. Not that I'm that concerned, Awakening was enough Fire Emblem for me for some time thank you.

Bring back Advance Wars! But not a grimdark version!

Except S rank is the only one to include romance.

Welcome to Italy, when the church influence is still strong as ever.
Fuck this country. Do you think it is normal that we cannot have homosexual content in our media ?

Seriously, you have to be a joke poster and this has to be some lame attempt at a troll.

Now THIS is a problem. :(

Fan service and civil rights are not the same thing. Blushing anime girls (and guys) whose faces you can rub have not been historically oppressed and denied representation. They have not been told they don't exist, persecuted for how they were born, and denied the same space to find partners as everyone else.

Including same sex relationships is passive activism and valuable because it acknowledges a humanitarian conversation being had all over the world. Including same sex relationships sends a message of normalcy and encourages acknowledgment of different sexual orientation.

Including alienating fan service is, simply, not any of these things.

Not all content is created equal. A creator or company deciding to remove certain content has more weight when it reinforces a historically problematic dialog about the validity of human sexuality.

I understand the basics of how people could conflate the two as they're both cutting content to make the game more "palatable" to some segment of society, but this is a perfect illustration of the, "Is this the hill you want to die on?" question.

I'd go to the wall defending an oppressed social group. Not so much for a "touch this anime person" mini-game. Perhaps some would suggest that still creates for a slippery slope, but I feel pretty confident that I can separate the significance of these two topics.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
You're really comparing creepy dudes not being able to get off to anime titties, to homophobic practices which have oppressed people for how they were born for centuries? Come the fuck on.
Neil Gaiman: Why defend freedom of icky speech?

The article as a whole is about government intervention on freedom of speech, but I think the main takeaway is applicable in this scenario as well:
Because if you don't stand up for the stuff you don't like, when they come for the stuff you do like, you've already lost.

The CBLDF will defend your First Amendment right as an adult to make lines on paper, to draw, to write, to sell, to publish, and now, to own comics. And that's what makes the kind of work you don't like, or don't read, or work that you do not feel has artistic worth or redeeming features worth defending. It's because the same laws cover the stuff you like and the stuff you find icky, wherever your icky line happens to be: the law is a big blunt instrument that makes no fine distinctions, and because you only realise how wonderful absolute freedom of speech is the day you lose it.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I'll just wait for an official word on it, while hoping it's not true. It'd be very strange considering their revised stance back when Tomodachi released

relationships have different ranks from C to A it's friendship at S they get married, the mail specifically says the S rank has been removed.

Oh, so removing marriage would remove them being together (as in, doing the deed, ya know, s e x) altogether?

That sucks.

Gay marriage is legal in so much of Europe, and the majority allow some kind of legal union. This would be a weird thing to do.

Warxard

Banned
It's just localization, what are you making a fuss for? Nintendo knows what's good for your region and you should just accept that.

/s

This is a shitty comment that misses the entire point of the censorship argument in regards to Fire Emblem.

But you know, anime gonna anime

--

This is shitty all around. What little there is of the mm/ff relationships in fates being removed shouldn't surprise me considering it's Italy, but it's still shitty all around.

Requeim

Nintendo are localizing the shit out of this game. People should be happy, right? Anything that can be potentially offensive to some must go. It's the only way to be sure.

It's convenient when it's only things you don't like, even if others do. But if something like this turns out to be true, I hope some people will open their eyes a bit.

It's just weird all together.

- "Think of the children!!" isn't really a reason a company would ever use, especially not for a game not intended for children anyway
- This would be a huge PR issue, internationally, so much so, likely more than Shibata would have to sign off on it
- "Our fans will understand" just sounds odd and not at all like something they'd say
- This is in a strange direction to go, given Nintendo's recent history and mission to incorporate more bi/gay relationships into their games.
- The leak hits too conveniently close to the news about the rubbing game

Now THIS is a problem. :(

Fan service and civil rights are not the same thing. Blushing anime girls (and guys) whose faces you can rub have not been historically oppressed and denied representation. They have not been told they don't exist, persecuted for how they were born, and denied the same space to find partners as everyone else.

Including same sex relationships is passive activism and valuable because it acknowledges a humanitarian conversation being had all over the world. Including same sex relationships sends a message of normalcy and encourages acknowledgment of different sexual orientations.

Including alienating fan service is, simply, not any of these things.

Not all content is created equal. A creator or company deciding to remove certain content has more weight when it reinforces a historically problematic dialog about the validity of human sexuality.

on neogaf and every games blog under the sun, it is.

Snaku

Banned
Love how the censorship of this game wasn't a slippery slope until they removed same sex relationships, now suddenly there's a problem? There was a problem from the very beginning when we first heard features were getting axed, censorship is unacceptable.

Chû Totoro;193453355 said:
Nintendo shouldn't be afraid of bad press regarding this. The people who are going to complain about this are people who have very few chance to hear about the game and they are even less people who could be interested in these types of games or video games in general.

They should keep the creators free to do what they want since it's not insulting in all their games.

If they don't do this then artists won't be able to create anything except what we see in all AAA games :/

Also I think the same for games with waifus (the main concern for me regarding games like these is that they can't be under-age because it's illegal here)

What kind of bullshit post is this? I'm complaining, and I'm a Nintendo fan of 20+ years. I guarantee I've invested more money in that company than most people on this forum.

And this?

"They should keep the creators free to do what they want since it's not insulting in all their games."

The creators CREATED the same-sex relationships in this game. It was their intention to offer this option to create their game more inclusive. It's the localizers who have removed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom