• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Sega Europe about to close, no more Sega AAA, focusing on digital only

Beth Cyra

Why would they even announce this kind of company-gutting move during E3 week? They're gonna have to put up one hell of song and dance if they're attempting to somehow spin this into something remotely positive or worth getting excited about.

The only thing they really said was going to be at E3 would be the team and their game, I really doubt Sega plans to even mention any of this at all to Press, or at least hadn't up until this rumor popped up.

Zen

Banned
GT fucking destroys Sonic.

Not to mention, they have several franchises that do better then Sonic.

As posted earlier in this thread, Generations shipped around 1.9 Million. GT, God Of War, Uncharted 3, as well as others all easily outsold that number.

Sonic does good business, but it doesn't even come close per title to Sony's higher end selling franchises. If you are talking Platformers, then they still have franchises like Jak, Sly and Little Big Planet which may not equal Sonic, but all have followings and do very well for Sony.

Little Big Planet 1/2 have individually sold more than Sonic Colors/Generations respectively.

Resilient

Why would they even announce this kind of company-gutting move during E3 week? They're gonna have to put up one hell of song and dance if they're attempting to somehow spin this into something remotely positive or worth getting excited about.

They didn't? It's a rumour..

Beth Cyra

Little Big Planet 1/2 have individually sold more than Sonic Colors/Generations respectively.

Then even less of a reason for Sony to give a damn.

Sonic is big, and a large following but it really seems like people are thinking it's much larger then it actually is.

I'm sure any of the Big 3 would like to have an extra franchise that would do a 2-5 Million, but they have series that do much better and the teams and money to create new ones that could out pace Sonic.

AniHawk

Microsoft would benefit most from a sega buyout but judging by their recent approach to first-party it seems unlikely that they'd make such an acquisition.

there was also that time when microsoft got a bunch of exclusive hardcore sega exclusive games made just for the xbox and then let them all die an unceremonious death at retail. i always thought that was pretty neat.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Why do people want Sega to be bought/merged by 1st party developers? That's even worse for them considering how spread apart their fanbase is.

Spreading their fan base so far apart is one of the reasons why they are in this predicament. Sega has a Nintendo like fan base. This means that Sega has fans who would buy hardware just for their games and would then like to receive all of their favorite Sega games without having to buy new hardware until the next cycle. I think this has something to do with how far back Sega's fan base actually goes and the fact that Sega themselves use to be a first party to 4 generations of their own hardware.

Sega needs the security of a first party who won't gut them and leave them on the street naked. They are in need of their teams being supported by other talented teams with competent management but whom also have a deep appreciation for their long history and their diverse stable of IP's. For me, only one company fits that bill, and that is the only other company to have been in the game as long as Sega has. And if I'm not mistaken, Sega's flagship IP has always performed best on Nintendo hardware.

Sony would be my second choice for Sega, and I think they would do a good job supporting them. As for Microsoft, they just have a bad track record with absorbing developers, and I think that is due to game development not being their primary concern. Not to mention that Sega's Japan developed games have always underperformed on Xbox.

Floex

Don't worry, Sega won't be selling on the assets to other developers. They still need them for when they focus soley on smart phone gaming and we'll never see these characters on the big screen again...

Oh

They didn't? It's a rumour..

Ah. I dunno why I was somehow under the impression that the rumor suggested they were going to officially reveal this during their conference. Regardless, if it really turns out to be true, I really do hope either Sony or Nintendo absorbs them.

The only thing they really said was going to be at E3 would be the team and their game, I really doubt Sega plans to even mention any of this at all to Press, or at least hadn't up until this rumor popped up.

I wonder if they'll touch up on it during their conference at all now that it's spreading around.

People who want them to merge with others are clearly not PC gamers.

Someone needs to rescue The Creative Assembly and the Football Manager and Total War IP.

The IP´s are really not that important. Sports Interactive lost their original IP once already, and are doing fine despite that. It´s the teams themselves that are important.

Jubern

I read the thread a little and something strikes me: Is no one doubting the sources? I mean GameKyo has never hit me as the most professional French website aboug VG (no offense).

Why is anyone so eager to believe them?

Corto

Some of the top best games of this generation were published by Sega. This shouldn't be happening... Fuck.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Sega America and Europe's only worth was really translating Sega Japan's games for our markets. They can barely do that anymore. Shitcan them both and enlist Atlus or someone that can actually do this translation shit on an intelligent budget and drum up and keep a loyal fanbase.

A company that sits on entirely finished products never to see the light of day for sale in the rest of the world but still employs 200 people in offices for pencil pushing and crappy PR is not doing its job very efficiently.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
there was also that time when microsoft got a bunch of exclusive hardcore sega exclusive games made just for the xbox and then let them all die an unceremonious death at retail. i always thought that was pretty neat.

Oh good, I'm glad that I am not the only one who took serious note of that and hasn't forgotten the significance of it. Because of MS we may never again see another new Panzer Dragoon, Spike Out or Jet Set Radio game. MS shouldn't even be allowed to touch Sega with a 200 meter pole made of solid gold.

I don't think that it is a coincidence that the Sega developers, who concentrated on Gamecube, had the most success, and ended up having the lead team after the restructuring of the Japan studios. Yakuza has become Sega's best and most important Japanese developed non-Sonic IP.

Beth Cyra

Sega America and Europe's only worth was really translating Sega Japan's games for our markets. They can barely do that anymore. Shitcan them both and enlist Atlus or someone that can actually do this translation shit on an intelligent budget and drum up and keep a loyal fanbase.

A company that sits on entirely finished products never to see the light of day for sale in the rest of the world but still employs 200 people in offices for pencil pushing and crappy PR is not doing its job very efficiently.

The fact that Total War and Football Manager exist proves this isn't correct.

Sega America, though this might be actually true if Sega Europe has been doing the translating duties like some have suggested.

That's smart SEGA, close down the one branch of the company that's performing well. The Total War and Football Manager franchises are SEGA's most dependable quantities these days.

If this is true we can pretty much give up on getting Yakuza 5 and all other Nagoshi (or Sega all together) titles localized by Sega.

Our only hope would lie in other publishers, like Ghostlight or Xseed / Aksys in the US, but somehow I highly doubt they would be willing to pay the huge licensing costs associated with Yakuza escpecially...

This is very very bad news...

It's really a sign of how hostile the whole video game industry has become. The margin of error is so small, it's ridiculous. Granted, SEGA had tons of mismanagement problems, but if this news is true, then it sucks major monkey balls... (no pun intended)

Slime

Banned
Hope this isn't true.

I don't think anyone's going to be buying Sega any time soon, but if it ever came to that, I could see it being Microsoft. Between the collaboration on Dreamcast and a buy-out being discussed a couple times last decade, they just seem like a logical fit. That, and they could really use the IP. Sony probably couldn't afford it and I'm not sure that's really Nintendo's style.

Ok, as a huge Total War fan, what happens to Creative Assembly? Will they be able to shop around for a new publisher for their next TW game after this one?

If this puts a damper on the TW series, then I really hope Rome 2 is being shown next week. :(

TCA and Sports Interavtivr are both wholly owned subsidiarys of SEGA Europe, if there's no SEGA Europe, there's no Creative Assembly or Sports Interactive. That would leave the IP in SEGA's hands without anyone component enough to develop it. It would be dead.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
The fact that Total War and Football Manager exist proves this isn't correct.

I never really bought the whole Sega as a Publisher thing, and Footy Manager succeed despite being under Sega's arm. Those games are certainly the profit makers, and I'm not really referring to any developers over here when I'm more casting aspersions on the bloat all videogame publishers have ballooned unsustainably to. Videogame credits have become like exhibit A of this. Theres 200 names on each with jobs just for the sake of there being jobs. All ongoing wages that make dubious "it wouldnt be cost effective to translate this title" when entire departments of faff could be shitcanned. And that seems to finally what theyre doing.

It also feels like with every other western crappy game they plopped their name on, like High Voltage's questionable offerings, they diluted the brand of what people perceived Sega actually as previously. So while Football Manager and Total War are turning profits, theyre not 'helping' Sega back to relevance again if you understand. Theyre just not looked upon at large as Sega games.

Talk about mismanagement, they have the IP, they have the knowledge, why not use both to create games that sell
Irony of all ironies being that SEGA Europe is the one division in the company that has been doing this consistently over the last few years.

Pie and beans, SEGA don't just publish the Total War and Football Manager games, they're fully in house productions. They're as much a part of SEGA as Sonic is these days.

kadotsu

Banned
Of course. The company that signs a publishing deal to distribute all Atlus games in Europe gets closed. Save us Ghostlight and Rising Star!

awaiken

Banned
If you wanted to save Sega you should have purchased Binary Domain. Sleeper hit of the year. Amazing video game that nobody bought because gamers are fucking stupid.

awaiken

Banned
end of an era

Gamekyo has an ok track record. It's improbable, but not impossible.

I believe it. Breaks my heart but look at their sales this year. They push out quality and everyone writes off anything that isn't a military shooter. Fuck

This would be absolutely horrific if true, to see Sega in such desperate circumstances, but all it is right now is a rumour right now and I'm praying it's horseshit.

I want mah Yakuza 5 over here dammit!

I believe this when I see it. Seems way too drastic to go from AAA games to dropping everything, closing their western branches and going phone/tablet only. I mean, who can survive only making games for phones? You have to price them so low that a company as big as Sega might as well just close completely before trying to survive on phone/tablet games alone.

Top Bottom