• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Sega Europe about to close, no more Sega AAA, focusing on digital only

SykoTech

Most likely fake, or at least heavily exaggerated. It doesn't match up with the strategy they outlined just months ago at all.

Amir0x

Banned
SEGA's not some magical entity in my memory and there's not too many games from them I like anymore, but it would be a shame to see them go anyway. That said, it's nice to see it's BS.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
If you love Sega, show it. Pre order Anarchy Reigns and buy Binary Domain (New Copy)

Why? They aren't going to localize Val Chron 3 or make a 4th on PS3 when the engine/Canvas engine is already THERE for sequels and they had a small devoted base for it. Instead, they port it to the PSP which is DEAD in the west to "save costs" and try to appeal to the Japanese more.

They scratch my back, I'll scratch theirs.

Me pre-ordering a Platinum Game that I have no interest in, and a game that was alright in the demo but not a $60 game isn't going to solve Sega's woes. Sega solving their woes by publishing things people want (like... *GASP* VIRTUA FIGHTER 5: FINAL SHOWDOWN IS OUT ON PSN TOMORROW!) is what will solve Sega's woes.

Cheebo

Banned
If true (which is looking possibly unlikely thankfully) Sonic still has a bright future on mobile. Sonic CD and Sonic 4 control surprisingly pretty damn great with touch screen controls. Sega is one of the few who really cracked how to get 2D Platformers working on the iPhone/iPad/Android model.

Sonic still has a bright future on mobile. Sonic CD and Sonic 4 control surprisingly pretty damn great with touch screen controls. Sega is one of the few who really cracked how to get 2D Platformers working on the iPhone/iPad/Android model.
Sonic CD How old again?

And sonic 4 may control ok but it's not a good game

They scratch my back, I'll scratch theirs...

yakuza 3/4 & resonance of fate = 'scratch' :) . yeah, i'd love a 'proper' valkyria chronicles sequel, too, but, considering the games mentioned are among my favorites this gen, they've done just fine by me, over-all...

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
Yep, think this is indeed, false. based on what the other posters above me had said.

Miles Jacobson, Studio Director at Sports Interactive said this to me in a tweet.

"why would anyone report on a story like that without first asking someone connected to comment? Baffles me."

Also,

"Repeating stuff from blogs without any source verification is not journalism. It's gossip."

Should the OP be updated?

I don't know what to think. I love SEGA, but I love the old SEGA, the games and consoles I grew up with. While I still consider myself a "fan" of the company, I see the new SEGA as a very different beast. Nothing beats their arcade and 16-bit titles. I suppose digital downloads are doing well for the company, so I guess this is future proofing. More money seems to be in small download software these days, it makes sense to focus on that.

It's very sad to see a company such as SEGA risk selling out. They were a console giant back in the nineties, it's sad to see things have changed so much.

Also, I can't see SEGA Europe closing. IIRC they are one of the strongest divisions, why close them?

ezodagrom

The OP really needs to be updated, otherwise those who post without looking at the latest posts will beleve this false rumour could be true.
I don't know what to think. I love SEGA, but I love the old SEGA, the games and consoles I grew up with. While I still consider myself a "fan" of the company, I see the new SEGA as a very different beast. Nothing beats their arcade and 16-bit titles. I suppose digital downloads are doing well for the company, so I guess this is future proofing. More money seems to be in small download software these days, it makes sense to focus on that.

It's very sad to see a company such as SEGA risk selling out. They were a console giant back in the nineties, it's sad to see things have changed so much.

Also, I can't see SEGA Europe closing. IIRC they are one of the strongest divisions, why close them?
If true then this...is not cool.
Sports Interactive Studio Director confirmed that this rumour is false.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
This is the worst rumour even, killing my childhood :(

Last gen's output from SEGA was terribad but this gen it was full of awesome, from After Burner to Outrun, from Vanquish to Binary Domain to Bayonetta to Yakuza and, yes, Sonic Generations.
I'm pretty inclined to believe this is true tho :[
Although I have a hard time believing they'd drop CA or Sports Interactive honestly, so I'm more on the "dropping 90% of AAA output" side.

ezodagrom

This is the worst rumour even, killing my childhood :(

Last gen's output from SEGA was terribad but this gen it was full of awesome, from After Burner to Outrun, from Vanquish to Binary Domain to Bayonetta to, yes, Sonic Generations.
I'm pretty sure this is true tho :[
._.
It's not true, Sports Interactive Studio Director confirmed that the rumour of SEGA Europe closing is false:

https://twitter.com/milessi/statuses/209276671600230401

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
So everything is okay, and we're getting Yakuza 5 in the west, and Binary Domain 2 and Shenmue 3 are still a go? Whew!

I feel like I missed the memo. We're getting Shenmue 3?!

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
You can't expect people to read the posts in this thread. All those words and stuff are so annoying.

I'm expected to read the OP (or the mods changing a thread's title) especially when browsing on mobile. It is the OP's duty to update its content, not mine to read every post in a thread.
And again, I'm focusing in the more believable (see recent talks) about SEGA restructuting and taking most AAA development out of its picture.

Anyway, yay :)

^^ Not the entire thread of course, at least the last page.

I'm expected to read the OP, especially when browsing on mobile. It is the OP's duty to update its content, not mine to read every post in a thread.

Anyway, yay :)

It's always best to read the OP first, then skip to the last page to see how things developed. But yeah, the title definitely needs an update at least.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Glad it was debunked but I won't be surprised if Sega makes less PS360 retail titles and delivers more on PSN/XBLA.

Koralsky

Glad it was debunked but I won't be surprised if Sega makes less PS360 retail titles and delivers more on PSN/XBLA.

This is what I think will happen. We can see this from their release schedule for the next fiscal year.

Three to five retail titles (worldwide) for a year with a good marketing and development times, plus strong digital line and SEGA can make some cash and continue to be medium sized publisher.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
Didn't someone post something to the effect that they changed the purview of their new Vita studio to F2P mobile games though?

Top Bottom