• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: So Killzone: SF was only using 1.5GB of VRAM

Demon Ice

Banned
His post says 1.5GB was used for graphics though. That would be a strange way to phrase it as the total system memory.

The developer said the devkits only had 1.5 GB available for graphics. So it's not like they had access to more memory and only chose to use 1.5 GB of it.

Paches

More sparks

I won't rest until we get enough sparks in our games.

theone.jpg

Sandfox

Where are you guys getting 6.5?

4 ram total - 1.5 ram for games = 2.5 ram reserved for whatever Sony is planning and 8 - 2.5 = 5.5 ram for games now or am I just missing something?

Exuro

So everyone is mistaking this with the 8GB then?

From what i understand, the 8gbs is just system memory that sony just happened to upgrade to DDR5 over the DDR3 of today's PCs.
No. It was always GDDR5 unified ram and they upped it from 4 to 8.

According to recent RAMGAF 6.5GB more is a lot of power! I'm guessing PS5 will just go with 256GB of GDDR10 and just exclude the CPU and GPU. I mean, they do nothing, since gaming is now powered exclusively by RAM.

Lets explore this more in a speculation thread!

Higher resolution textures, faster load times, more efficient streaming of large levels, more diverse animations. Might increase AA. So not a mindblowingly night and day difference from what we saw in the announcement trailers, but subtle improvements.

When you say "higher resolution textures", extra 5GB of VRAM is like going from Skyrim's vanilla stuff to Quarl's packs. It's going to be a huge difference if utilized properly.

apana

Keep in mind that this is a rumor for now, because there is no direct confirmation from GG or Sony about the devkits.

I'm not really a tech guy, so what can an additional 5GB of VRAM do for games?

They can solve world hunger, decrease CO2 emissions, or maybe discover faster than light travel?

make developers happy

RAM thread?

RAM thread.

ibex.jpg

dudebro RAM

It's the future.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
When you say "higher resolution textures", extra 5GB of VRAM is like going from Skyrim's vanilla stuff to Quarl's packs. It's going to be a huge difference if utilized properly.

6.5 GB for video memory, 1.5 GB for the rest of the system to fight over.

Seriously people, what the hell?

rockx4

lol, 6.5GB for video memory, good thing the OS has no overhead. We should tag all these threads. In 10 years when we look back to the "RAM days", it'll be a good laugh.

WTF is wrong with talking about random access memory and how it plays into console performance? Why are some of you people acting so fucking stupid about it?

DrSlek

GUYS! Guys!

What if.....Sony combined the power of the Cell, with the power of the RAM?

I know, I know...I just blew your fucking minds!

Devs could do that if they chose to. If the Killzone demo ran with 1.5GB of VRAM on 4GB dev kits, which means that the game logic works on 2.5GB of RAM, they could allocate the extra VRAM to textures. What exactly is the matter here? Do you even understand how UMA works?

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Previous rumours said Sony had reserved 512MB RAM for system use.

Suddenly it is 2.5GB if this guy is to be believed.

Sounds like BS to me.

Keep in mind that this is a rumor for now, because there is no direct confirmation from GG or Sony about the devkits.

http://beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1712366&postcount=111

That's a strange statement, since all the devkits allegedly had 8 GB of RAM. So let's presume that half of that was reserved for tools and debugging, that still leaves us with 4 GB. A part of that was reserved for the system (rumors point to 512 MB), with the rest being available to games. If PS4 didn't have unified memory, having "1.5 GB usable for graphics" would make some sense, the rest could then be dedicated to CPU tasks. However, PS4 does have unified memory so having a fixed amount dedicated to graphics doesn't really ring true. Unless the amount reserved for OS tasks used to be 2.5 GB, not 512 MB, and that also sounds nebulous.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Tbh, why would a devkit have the same amout of RAM as a SKU? All this built with 4GB RAM crap is weird.

Early devkits would see a varying config until things get final, but usually devkits end up with more memory than the retail units for obvious reasons.

Devs could do that if they chose to. If the Killzone demo ran with 1.5GB of VRAM on 4GB dev kits, which means that the game logic works on 2.5GB of RAM, they could allocate the extra VRAM to textures. What exactly is the matter here? Do you even understand how UMA works?

Developers have long been clamoring that 2 GB of system memory isn't enough, and now we're to expect that they'd be fine with less than that while we fill the majority of the memory space with textures? That's the vibe I'm getting from the thread anyway.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
What's the PS4's final form?

When it uses all RAM you will be able to actually feel the physics of the games in real time. PS4 with Gaikai will stream the Earth's macro data to your console. So when wind blows in the game it will blow your hair as well.

I fully expect a non-interactive tech demo to not use that much ram... Hell, the entire demo probably was loaded into ram... a 1.5GB demo wouldn't be anything amazing, but if you put it all in ram and then floated that number to people, it sure makes it sound like you could make a 5x better looking game doesn't it?

In other words, it's likely very true but intentionally skewed to make it sound more impressive than it is.

CLEEK

We can assume than that 1.5 GB will be used for OS? 6.5 GB for games- fuck me, that's more than 4 times available memory. Elmental demo am cry?

How did you come to those numbers? The only rumours so far are the OS uses 512MB. Now that Sony have doubled the RAM, they might want some of this for more OS features, but their internal OS team would have been working towards a specific footprint for a long time. If they can fit all their features into half a gig, there would be little reason to reserve more than required, to free up as much of the RAM for games as possible.

i-Lo

Devs could do that if they chose to. If the Killzone demo ran with 1.5GB of VRAM on 4GB dev kits, which means that the game logic works on 2.5GB of RAM, they could allocate the extra VRAM to textures. What exactly is the matter here?

Actually, according to the Eurogamer article, much like this gen, devs were simulating ~4GB with 8GB dev kits. So the natural assumption would be that 1.5GB limit was imposed to work within the earlier parameters.

This does make me ask, is it not ideal to have more RAM in dev kits than retail units? If so, is it reasonable to assume that the final dev kits which will out this summer will take care of it?

EDIT: I just realized that given 8GB will NOT be available to dev, they get away with having 8GB in the dev kit.

antonz

Its a corridor shooter. Everything up close is made to look nice but once you get out of the corridor its all low polygon buildings using dof and other tricks to make them look a lot better than they do.

DSN2K

been mentioned already but yeah anyone who's played about with modding Skyrim on PC with HD Texture packs and ENB post processing effects will tell you vram is king, more of it the better.

Top Bottom