• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: Sony developing Android 3.0 powered PSP-Go like phone. [Update: Post 472]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suzzopher

The Abominable Snowman said:
Android isn't bad, but I fail to see how a PSP2 would benefit from it. tons of nongame apps that Sony wouldn't benefit from?

It won't be a PSP2. This will more than likely be a PSP Go shoe horned into an SE Android phone. PSP2 will be a portable video game system first and foremost.

spwolf

Suzzopher said:
It won't be a PSP2. This will more than likely be a PSP Go shoe horned into an SE Android phone. PSP2 will be a portable video game system first and foremost.

there is an planet where your post makes sense, this just aint it :D

Suzzopher

spwolf said:
there is an planet where your post makes sense, this just aint it :D

Well of course it will have video and music play back, but I don't believe that'll be the selling point of the PSP2.

Yeah - the idea of a PSP + Android phone is nice but the trouble is seeing where it'll fit.

In an alternate reality I can see Sony finally waking up to take on Apple by making a PSP Android phone and a PSP Android Walkman that both play the same games and run the same apps. They'd be aimed at the casual gamers first and foremost but have renditions of some more hardcore titles like God Of War. Then there would be the legitimate PSP2 which stands alone and aims to take on the 3DS.

But that doesn't make much sense either.

KtSlime

If Sony does this they'd just be shooting themselves in the foot. I am sure the last thing they want to do is have another competitor other than nintendo. The second they combine a phone and psp is the second they make Apple a competitor. Not saying they aren't now, but every one of those slides that Jobs puts up about the iPhone/iPod having more game mind share can be shot down as saying that it's not really a gaming machine, just a fancy phone. Add a phone to the psp and that opens them up for more competition from apple, and will allow developers to feel more free to write for the AppStore than PSN.

In short, add a phone to the psp and Apple will officially be in the portable gaming race.

ivedoneyourmom said:
If Sony does this they'd just be shooting themselves in the foot. I am sure the last thing they want to do is have another competitor other than nintendo. The second they combine a phone and psp is the second they make Apple a competitor. Not saying they aren't now, but every one of those slides that Jobs puts up about the iPhone/iPod having more game mind share can be shot down as saying that it's not really a gaming machine, just a fancy phone. Add a phone to the psp and that opens them up for more competition from apple, and will allow developers to feel more free to write for the AppStore than PSN.

In short, add a phone to the psp and Apple will officially be in the portable gaming race.

How would that change developers' attitudes? "what.. it's a phone now!?! Stop development, get Steve Jobs on the phone NOW!"

Apath

I think the XMB would work great as a mobile phone interface, both touch and obviously button-wise. Does it running on Android mean this won't happen?

spwolf

Kenak said:
I think the XMB would work great as a mobile phone interface, both touch and obviously button-wise. Does it running on Android mean this won't happen?

well i dont think it would be great phone interface, as you are touching things on phone, so why not have 15 icons on that screen, one touch away.

but in any case, it has nothing to do with android...

KtSlime

Byakuya769 said:
How would that change developers' attitudes? "what.. it's a phone now!?! Stop development, get Steve Jobs on the phone NOW!"
Eh, they don't even have to call, just pay apple the developers license fee. If your writing software for one phone, might as well for 2. I think this will also work to the benefit for win7phone and android too. A couple companies are already toying with bringing some psp/ds games to the iPhone. I don't think it is crazy( like you seem to) for them to do it more and more as the psp platform moves to resemble all the smartphones.

jonnybryce said:
Yeah - the idea of a PSP + Android phone is nice but the trouble is seeing where it'll fit.
In my pocket?

I'm not buying a PSP that's only a PSP, but I will buy one that I can root and then do fun things to.

Homebrew doesn't really count, since I don't feel like waging that battle on yet one more front.

(._.)

Banned
Why don't they do something similar to Apple and release one that is a phone and a stripped down one that is more for entertainment (iPhone and iPod touch).

(._.) said:
Why don't they do something similar to Apple and release one that is a phone and a stripped down one that is more for entertainment (iPhone and iPod touch).

People are assuming that Android == phone, but there's nothing preventing someone from using Android for non-phone applications.

Zombie James said:
People are assuming that Android == phone, but there's nothing preventing someone from using Android for non-phone applications.

Well where this becomes messy is currently Android must = phone for the Android market and Google apps. Without those things there's little reason to make it run Android.

Fredescu

jonnybryce said:
Well where this becomes messy is currently Android must = phone for the Android market and Google apps. Without those things there's little reason to make it run Android.
Why can't you do it all via wifi only? I make purchases all the time through wifi.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Why is everyone certain that it'll be a phone? Just because Sony Ericsson is involved? They could simply be the ones behind the implementation of the Android OS and tailoring it to work around the hardware. I believe this is going to be the PSP2 and that the reason they're using Android is to immediately create/open up with a diverse brand of downloadable games as soon as the hardware launches.

So not only will you be able to go and buy physical media with releases such as Gran Turismo, Metal Gear, and Final Fantasy, but also download RPGs like Zenovia, or those stupid farming games. You get the best of both worlds: a full blown gaming machine that can also store those fun little mobile games.

Suzzopher said:
shitjustgotrealgif.gif
<3 just saw hot fuzz the other day :lol

Truespeed

Zombie James said:

Like what? An HP printer? Oh wait too late...

ivedoneyourmom said:
Eh, they don't even have to call, just pay apple the developers license fee. If your writing software for one phone, might as well for 2. I think this will also work to the benefit for win7phone and android too. A couple companies are already toying with bringing some psp/ds games to the iPhone. I don't think it is crazy( like you seem to) for them to do it more and more as the psp platform moves to resemble all the smartphones.

it being a phone doesn't change the nature of the games PSP has brought to the table. The device being a phone or not being a phone has little to do with why there hasn't been a rush to put psp (and DS) games on the iphone. It does have a lot to do with PSP and DS having actual controls, however.

To have access to the Android Market and Googles app suite you have to be a phone, Sony Ericson is involved, Android makes the most sense for a phone and...most important...the rumor from the sources who revealed this in the first place said it was a phone. I'm betting on a phone.

SpecX

I think the original PSP just came out at the wrong time. The concept was perfect, but the tech was too far ahead and should have been designed as a phone originally. It could have been in the place of where the iPhone is now if Sony played their cards right. As much as I want Sony to success with the PSP2 if it does happen, I don't see it taking off and being anywhere near as "successful" as the current PSP is.

Fredescu

SpecX said:
I think the original PSP just came out at the wrong time. The concept was perfect
I think you have these the wrong way around. The timing was perfect and the hype was through the roof. It was the concept of "console games on the go" rather than trying to be something uniquely handheld that lost it for the PSP.

Tobor

Rooted 5 minutes after launch, and that's the ballgame. You're better off slitting your wrists in a warm bath, Sony.

SpecX

That make sense. Also, I don't think Sony knew what they wanted from the PSP. I think all the divisions of Sony tried to use it as a cash cow to drive sales for music, movies, games, and the focus was lost for what the device was truely made to be.

Tobor said:
Rooted 5 minutes after launch, and that's the ballgame. You're better off slitting your wrists in a warm bath, Sony.

We get it man, anything with android sucks and won't work. You can carry on in the ipad flashless thread now.

thefit

Wow, saw this coming. It had to happen, google wants to move in and take some of the hip share out of apple and Sony wants to redeem itself in the handheld field and get better than a lonely second in that area. Both know how to make phones but Android looks like the next best next thing to ios at east over Sony's ho-hum interface offerings.

I may be over estimating them but done right I would dive into the handhelds again. I don't think they should blow their load feature wise like they did with the psp again though, that tech as wonderful and cool as it was at the time it was revealed was just way overkill.

Part of what I think strayed owners of the PSP from buying games was that the thing was so damn featured filled it drew your attention away from games. Nintendo as arkaik as they are released a gaming device that when you walked into the store to buy new it would only play games, fun charming games like you remembered as far back as your monochrome Gameboy. The PSP as soon as you opened the thing you wanted to go to the internet and listen to music and fuck with all this other shit that had nothing to do with gaming and maybe after all that you might play the demo that came with it for like a minute or you would buy a game and realized it kinda looked like a mix of ps2 and the ps1 which lets be honest that tech has not aged well (ps1). Colorful 8-bit and 16-bit sprites still conjure up some heavy nostalgia in all of us, muddy ps1 polygon shading...not so much.

I hope it will look like your modern phone ( touch screen etc.) you press the gaming icon and woosh out of the side slide out thin touch sensitive controls, clear if possible because who doesn't like see through shit, finish gaming and they slide back in on their own and your back to smart phoning. They have to sell it as one device though, not everyone needs it as a phone so you may pay a bit more but If I don't want it attached and purchased through a phone provider then let me buy it at a retailer I'll choose to use it as a phone latter if I feel like it.

so whats the general consensus on this device if real? Will it replace all forms of handhelds that sony produces or just augment a certain market. I would think if they wanted to stay in the handheld industry (gaming) they would absolutely have to introduce another device.

AngelComa

Banned
I'm in the market for a phone and I would like an Android one. So if there is one that has a PSP built in. Good. Less to carry in my pockets.

If users here don't like the idea, there are always PSP-3000 and PSP-Go, no?

Tobor

Byakuya769 said:
We get it man, anything with android sucks and won't work. You can carry on in the ipad flashless thread now.
Android is a great phone OS. Just because I prefer iOS doesnt mean I can't appreciate it.

My opinions on this are based on common sense, not allegiances.

Tobor said:
Android is a great phone OS. Just because I prefer iOS doesnt mean I can't appreciate it.

My opinions on this are based on common sense, not allegiances.

They could implement an online authentication system or other bumps in the road to make it more complicated since cellphones are always connected. iPhones are jailbroken, the DS needs only a memory card - if the games are priced decently I think it's not a huge issue especially if they have "Minis" starting at 99 cents.

Tobor

jonnybryce said:
They could implement an online authentication system or other bumps in the road to make it more complicated since cellphones are always connected. iPhones are jailbroken, the DS needs only a memory card - if the games are priced decently I think it's not a huge issue especially if they have "Minis" starting at 99 cents.
Yes, if they totally overhaul their business and the types of games they offer, then this could work. Of course, ditching $20-$40 titles for a mostly $.99 pricing strategy wouldn't endear them to this crowd anyway.

leehom

The Faceless Master said:
the problem with the PSP wasn't piracy, it was that nobody wanted to buy PSP games.
If you can pirate your games with no repercussions, why would you buy them? I know a mega ton of people who pirate games on their DS/PSP/Xbox/PC.......

In most peoples eyes, it's the same as pirating music, movies or other software (windows/etc). If they can get it for free, why pay?

Byakuya769 said:
THIS THIS THIS.

How is "this this this" not piracy? :|

It doesn't matter what the game is the meme will be "PSP has no games".

Meanwhile everybody is stealing "no games". :lol

I don't see the point of this, but Sony is just crazy town now. Let's just hope that if it's not a new PSP proper, that the stink of it's failure doesn't further reduce the potential appeal of the brand.

On the other hand, for some reason I could see this potentially being appealing to Japan. PSP + mobile phone for playing MOnster Hunter, then tweeting upskirt photos from the subway. </Japan>

Tobor said:
Yes, if they totally overhaul their business and the types of games they offer, then this could work. Of course, ditching $20-$40 titles for a mostly $.99 pricing strategy wouldn't endear them to this crowd anyway.

Lol. I just meant it could be both - Sony said they're aiming casual and obviously a PSP phone has some inspiration from the iPhone proving it could work. Cheaper games bring proft, more expensive hardcore games bring profit, everyone wins. I don't think piracy will kill the phone - Android users buy things from Fruit Ninja to Log Me In Igntion for $30. Not everyone cares to be rooted or knows what that means.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
I'm excited for a world where my phone has a dpad and buttons to play games on.

Even more exciting is if that phone can play MGS Peacewalker, Phantasy Star Portable 2 and every other game I have purchased off PSN.

Tobor

jonnybryce said:
Lol. I just meant it could be both - Sony said they're aiming casual and obviously a PSP phone has some inspiration from the iPhone proving it could work. Cheaper games bring proft, more expensive hardcore games bring profit, everyone wins. I don't think piracy will kill the phone - Android users buy things from Fruit Ninja to Log Me In Igntion for $30. Not everyone cares to be rooted or knows what that means.

We'll see. I'd love to be proven wrong. I might even pick one up, assuming they make a non-phone version.

The Faceless Master said:
the problem with the PSP wasn't piracy, it was that nobody wanted to buy PSP games.

no it isn't. the problem with PSP is that for some reason, no one want to buy PSP hardware. the games are not the problem. I've seen so many post saying they wish psp games are on psn instead or that ps3 allow for psp emulation.

I think this sounds nice, but as somebody who always winds up owning every console and handheld, I'm not really rooting for Apple, Sony and whoever else to all turn their handhelds into phones. It's not like I'll have more than one phone.

Tobor

Duane Cunningham said:
I think this sounds nice, but as somebody who always winds up owning every console and handheld, I'm not really rooting for Apple, Sony and whoever else to all turn their handhelds into phones. It's not like I'll have more than one phone.

Apple has always offered a non-phone version. Sony will have to do the same, or else this really is dead in the water.

RavenFox

Banned
ridley182 said:
Dear Sony,

Please stop diluting your brand -_- Android is awful, just hire UI and UX experts and do your own thing. Integrate their services if you must, but don't become Google's bitch.

Sincerely,

Ridley182
Dude get out with that nonsense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom