• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: Sony developing Android 3.0 powered PSP-Go like phone. [Update: Post 472]

Status
Not open for further replies.

DieH@rd

Banned
Lonely1 said:
Um, none? Shit would be too expensive.

Too expencive? Iphone 4 is right now selling for $600 [thats one buck more than FIVE HUNDRED NINETY NINE], and PSP1 is how much $170?. Why should this be cheaper than iphone? Slap a ton of hardware in it, and give it to few carriers and subsidize price with 2 year contracts.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
DieH@rd said:
Too expencive? Iphone 4 is right now selling for $600 [thats one buck more than FIVE HUNDRED NINETY NINE], and PSP1 is how much $170?. Why should this be cheaper than iphone? Slap a ton of hardware in it, and give it to few carriers and subsidize price with 2 year contracts.
Huh? I was saying that this had no chance of having the full PSP board along with Snapdragon to run android.

Takao

Banned
Nirolak said:
They do sell grips for these things.

That's fine until you have to use the ungodly second screen. Most grips I've seen try to mimic the design of a controller, which doesn't lend itself well to one hand on the grip, and one playing with the screen.

DieH@rd said:
The Evo 4G is close to king of phones and is 449 off contract, a couple hundred on. It could be reasonably priced.

Noshino

Nirolak said:
They do sell grips for these things.

They all increased the length of the product, making it even harder to reach the L and R buttons....

Seriously, at least for me, from a design point of view, the DS was (and still is) a mess....oh well

Minsc

Gold Member
I'm sure Sony would just love the wide open world of the Android Marketplace. I don't see them running an OS that allows Google to sell pirated versions of their games.

1-D_FTW

Mama Robotnik said:
Oh okay, I must be getting very mixed up then. Apologies for crapping the thread up, and thanks for the clarification.

They're horribly wrong. Google has a market cap of 156.72 billion. Sony has a market cap of 29.91. There would be no merger. Google would either buy them or there would be no merger. Google is 5 times as large.

Takao

Banned
Lonely1 said:
But if this will not have SCE full support it could be an epic fubar for the PSP brand.

The real PSP didn't get the full backing of SCE*, why should a phone made by SE get that?

Refers to how Sony let the platform simply die in the west, and how many of the SCEI franchises on the PSP are developed by unknown third party studios, and not the A teams that made those franchises.

It sounds like an Android smartphone that happens to play PSP games. Meh.

I like the idea of a PlayStation Phone, but I'd want it to be a full successor to the PSP (PSP2), and I'd want it to have the PSN/XMB at its core, much like the PSP/PS3. Any Android features I'd like to be secondary to PS functionality, and I'd want it to continue and improve upon the PSP's functionality and compatability with the PS3.

This just sounds like an X10 with buttons and a section on the Android Marketplace for PSP titles. No PlayStation Store anymore?

It doesn't feel like a true PlayStation product.

The most important thing of all...what about the battery life? Sure it'd be nice if the phone can handle the latest graphics with a powerful processor to play a game. But it's not gonna be pretty if the experience can only last 4 hours.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Lonely1 said:
But if this will not have SCE full support it could be an epic fubar for the PSP brand.

I don't think the PSP brand could survive too many more epic fubars.

This, in my opinion, would be a really a bad move for the industry as a whole. Wouldn't putting major gaming support on a phone further legitimize the App Store type business model? I don't want 99¢ "games" to be the future...

Luckily, this won't happen!
Right? ;_;

Snipes424

If true, it's not a terrible idea. I mean it's not for me, I don't really care for iphone gaming, or portable gaming for that matter, but I could see a fairly large market for it, especially if it's true about them teaming up with the android market.

But I think like always, it depends on the price. If it's less than $200, it will probably do well. If more, it will bomb just as bad as PSP Go.

Polari

If they launch their own store and limit it to their own devices this could work. Otherwise it's going to be a compatibility clusterfuck.

Anyway, the main problem I have with this is that in terms of specs, it sounds pretty average. I'd rather see them go all out and develop the PSP2 with Android, and then release a phone version of that (like the relationship between the iPod Touch and iPhone) than release an Xperia X10 with a slide-out d-pad and buttons.

Snakeyes

I have zero interest in this if it's just an Android phone with graphics that peak at the PSP level.

Make a proper PSP2 with optional phone/4G capabilities and graphics that are clearly above anything the 3DS can produce and then we'll talk.

Wow, people have some really unrealistic expectations about this thing. :lol

DMeisterJ said:
Sony has much more experience in creating a gaming platform, while, aside from Game Center, Apple has let third parties do the work re: Gaming on the iPhone...

Errr... that's the entire point of Apple's gaming strategy. All of the profits, none of the work.

I don't think its a bad idea if their only intent is to imbed the PSP into phones and extend the platforms lifespan this way. Its not like the 3DS is light years ahead of the PSP graphically.

I would buy this. Almost everything about smartphones today is worthless to me but a phone that makes gaming a foremost priority will surely get my attention.

However, those specs would make it about as powerful as the best smartphones today, correct? It's interesting that this is the case despite having its own section on the Android marketplace. You would think that would give Sony more freedom with the hardware.

...I'm not sure what to think about this.I'm sure that by following this route SONY can provide a quality product, it's just that I doubt that they'll be able to pull in quality sales.

Don't get me wrong putting in a serious convergence for gaming in a media device gives my techy-self a hard-on as well. But I doubt that this is going to be a hit with the general public. The smart phone market is at peak competition and I'm not sure how SONY will be able to handle it. They have to compete against the DROID series, Evo series, and whatever else cell phone makers shit out. And not to mention the iPhone. I mean SONY was overwhelmed with the competition being brought on by Nintendo so they are stepping away from that market to another one that is more or less as competitive, where SONY's name means much much less.

I think a non-phone version like the iPod Touch is a given so succeeding with this may not be impossible, but it's still very unlikely.

Quadrangulum said:
However, those specs would make it about as powerful as the best smartphones today, correct?
No. There's nothing special about the specs. Well, at least compared to other highend smartphones.-

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
I don't think its a bad idea if their only intent is to imbed the PSP into phones and extend the platforms lifespan this way. Its not like the 3DS is light years ahead of the PSP graphically.

so true...im sure there is still a PSP2 masterplan possibly running android too with backward compatibility...

im still baffled as to how sony can keep releasing hardware that costs WAY more to produce than the retail price, are (slightly, give or take) lagging in performance compared to the competition. PSX/PS1 graphics? really? uhhhh the PSP already does that. unless this is just going to be a phone that can also download/play PSP titles from the PSN it doesn't seem attractive.

iphone = "near DC graphics" says the devs right? well, rumor says 1ghz snapdragon so who knows... maybe they'll be able to tap into it. but GPU? this rumor only frustrates.

Pimpwerx

I called for this since 2006 or so. SE was really good on the hardware side of things. Not so sure anymore. If it's stock Android that would be perfect. 1GHz Snapdragon is not so hot though. Not without a nice GPU. Whatever chipset it gets, I hope it's the latest and greatest, and I hope the battery life lasts. PEACE.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Even thought i am sticking with my iphone 4, a andriod/psp phone sounds like something that i would buy in an instant.

DMeisterJ

Banned
charlequin said:
Errr... that's the entire point of Apple's gaming strategy. All of the profits, none of the work.

Yeah, but are we arguing what is going to make more money, or what is going to corral mobile gaming into something of note?

I could give a damn about how much money a multi-billion dollar company makes, as a gamer, I'm concerned about the games. Apple not taking the reins on iPhone gaming for the most part has led to an exorbiantly high shit:gold ratio in terms of games worth playing, nevermind the fact that playing games without buttons is about one step above sticking a needle in your eye in fun factor.

keyrat

This is the portable platform and phone I've been waiting for. Android and Playstation in one with a touchscreen and a dpad and buttons? I'll be holding my breath for more news but it's definitely what I wanted to see from the next Sony portable.

Sony's past is worrying and so are SE's latest Android offerings. The Xperia X10 is a good phone but apparently SE's Android skin is sluggish and that's not gonna roll for a game console.

It should be noted just how HUGE it is that Sony will be going with an open platform, if only for the phone functions.

onken

I kinda like the idea in general but I'd have to wait for specifics before getting excited (that and the fact it will probably be stupid expensive).

e~ also buttons for the fucking win, I HATE touch-screen only devices.

Pimpwerx

neojubei said:
Even thought i am sticking with my iphone 4, a andriod/psp phone sounds like something that i would buy in an instant.
And you're not alone. People complaining aren't seeing the big picture.

Phones are the ultimate convergence device. It's been obvious a while now. With the rising popularity of touchscreen phones, and the versatility of Android, all the pieces are there to revamp the mobile phone and gaming divisions. If they're both miniaturizing hardware towards similar ends, then just combine their efforts.

I don't see why SCE would need to design their own portable hardware. The Walkman and Bravia phones SE put out were rather nice efforts. Instead of looking at this as a phone that plays PSP games, look at it as a PSP that has call and messaging features.

I would prefer a 4.3" screen, tbh. I love my Evo, and it's totally pocketable with a case on. It they don't gimp Gingerbread, it'll have tons of other amazing features going for it. It's not like Sony was gonna beat Nintendo at their own game, so I don't see a problem with skewing towards the high-end and testing those waters in a more popular form factor. PEACE.

jrricky

Banned
DMeisterJ said:
Yeah, but are we arguing what is going to make more money, or what is going to corral mobile gaming into something of note?

I could give a damn about how much money a multi-billion dollar company makes, as a gamer, I'm concerned about the games. Apple not taking the reins on iPhone gaming for the most part has led to an exorbiantly high shit:gold ratio in terms of games worth playing, nevermind the fact that playing games without buttons is about one step above sticking a needle in your eye in fun factor.
This is something I will never understand. Ratios are very vague. Out of 20000 gaming apps, if 1000 is gold I really don't see the problem...the other problem is pure preference which doesnt mean a lot...

Plus the games are impulse purchases...basically costing pennies...I wouldnt lose sleep thinking I spent $1 on a crappy game...

zoku88

DMeisterJ said:

That's not the reason. The reason for those crappy titles is because that's what people with the iPhone buy. Games go where the gamers are. If there was reason to believe that a lot of people would buy $40 games on the iPhone, you would bet that $40 games would be released on the iPhone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom