• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Splinter Cell Trilogy for the PS3

Vinterbird said:
That would actually cost money

It would obviously be more than the quick and dirty job that they did with the PoP Collection, but would it really be cost so much that they couldn't profit off of it? If anything i'd think that they'd make more money if they made each of these games the ultimate version of each title. If they continue to release stuff like the PoP Collection them people aren't even going to pay attention to their HD Collections in the future. People aren't asking them to rebuild the entire game or anything, but at least treat them with the same care that Sony has with GoW, Sly and the upcoming Team ICO Collection.

SolidSnakex said:
It would obviously be more than the quick and dirty job that they did with the PoP Collection, but would it really be cost so much that they couldn't profit off of it? If anything i'd think that they'd make more money if they made each of these games the ultimate version of each title. If they continue to release stuff like the PoP Collection them people aren't even going to pay attention to their HD Collections in the future. People aren't asking them to rebuild the entire game or anything, but at least treat them with the same care that Sony has with GoW, Sly and the upcoming Team ICO Collection.

There's a huge difference between taking care of a HD re-release like Sony (making the UI fit, making sure everything is ok and usefull), to taking content from different games, melting it together and doing all sorts of crap like that.

The first is easy to do, can be outsourced and done without tinkering with anything in the code base. Doing the second is forcing Ubisoft to go back into the code, write new stuff, make sure that the game works, the content fits and doing QA on it. Making it way to expensive for something that 5000 people are gonna buy.

Vinterbird said:
There's a huge difference between taking care of a HD re-release like Sony (making the UI fit, making sure everything is ok and usefull), to taking content from different games, melting it together and doing all sorts of crap like that.

The first is easy to do, can be outsourced and done without tinkering with anything in the code base. Doing the second is forcing Ubisoft to go back into the code, write new stuff, make sure that the game works, the content fits and doing QA on it. Making it way to expensive for something that 5000 people are gonna buy.

They don't sell that little though. Of course that's assuming that you're making the collection out of a popular series. I think that the GoW Collection sold over 500k. That seems pretty damn good for something that's is basically a port.

It's going to very interesting to see how CD handles the Tomb Raider Collection. Will it be the Sony or UBI route?

Ominym

Banned
I will be significantly bummed if there isn't an Xbox version of the set at some point. That said, I would still eat that shit up. And if it gives me the ability to play Chaos Theory multiplayer again? I'll buy two.

SolidSnakex said:
It's going to very interesting to see how CD handles the Tomb Raider Collection. Will it be the Sony or UBI route?

Didn't they outright say "we're updating Legend and Annivesary to be 1080p and thats it"?

Vinterbird said:
Didn't they outright say "we're updating Legend and Annivesary to be 1080p and thats it"?

I don't think that they've said anything about it as of now. They've said that details about the collection will be released this week.

RedSwirl

purple cobra said:
Wow, big difference between the PS2 version and the X-Box version. Quality is almost night and day.

The fact that it's in a completely different engine isn't even the biggest differentce. Entire chunks of each level were taken out. They had to write different guides for each version.

I don't think I've been so worried about learning new information about an upcoming release. If it's the PC/Xbox versions, I'll be over the fucking moon. If it's the PS2, I'll be crestfallen (but still there on day 1 for the trophies)

tzare

i wonder what would be cheaper for PS3, to port PS2 version or xbox/PC one. In fact PS2 is way more complex that xbox

The amount of re-released PS2 games I own for the PS3 might overshadow the amount of actual PS3 games I own by the end of the gen at this rate.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Vinterbird said:
Would be interesting as the PC version of Anniversary did not actually look all that much better than the PS2 version (was a direct port, basically). Yet, despite this, the 360 version ran at a sub-30 fps framerate. I wouldn't get too excited yet.

aerofx

If they release pandora tomorrow multiplayer for for XBL I will buy the shit out of it. anybody know if double agent or chaos theory has a similar multiplayer? and if it's actually as good?

tzare

the game seems to have been pushed back again for a september release. i wonder why they keep changing the release date.

Top Bottom