• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Splinter Cell Trilogy for the PS3

onken

gofreak said:
For those who don't like Amazon France as a source, Zavvi in the UK has now listed both of these collections.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/40986/Retail-lists-Ubisoft-HD-trilogies

Splinter Cell Trilogy: HD Collection for Nov 26
Prince Of Persia Trilogy: HD Collection for Mar 11

Great if true but how come we haven't squat about them? That SC trilogy is supposed to be releasing in 2 months but hasn't even been officially announced yet, guh?

onken said:
Great if true but how come we haven't squat about them? That SC trilogy is supposed to be releasing in 2 months but hasn't even been officially announced yet, guh?
Mortal Kombat HD Kollection is listed for November by various retailers and not yet announced. Beats me why it hasn't been officially announced.

Doesn't basically anything being released during the holiday season need to be announced by the beginning of October or so? I mean, stores basically want to have their retail plan completely set in stone before then, I think.

Still, I WANT TO BELIEVE because I want to think that Sony's PS2->PS3 conversion tech is already in the hands of third parties.

They better not suck as much as the PoP ports.

Not sure why they don't base 'em off PC or at least Xbox code...perhaps some stipulation of Sony's for third-party HD collections. (Most likely just laziness)

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
_dementia said:
This.

Will the use the PS2 versions as the base? Wasn't CT was significantly better on Xbox?
It seems like it would be more difficult to port the game from PS2 (unless they are using emulation). The PC versions would make for a more straightforward port, I'd think.

Of course, with our luck, they will probably use the PS2 versions (which would be awful).

Not sure why they don't base 'em off PC or at least Xbox code...perhaps some stipulation of Sony's for third-party HD collections....
Wait, the PoP collection was based on the PS2 version? How can you tell? It's not as if the other versions added anything they just offered better image quality.

LiK

Pai Pai Master said:
They better not suck as much as the PoP ports.

Not sure why they don't base 'em off PC or at least Xbox code...perhaps some stipulation of Sony's for third-party HD collections. (Most likely just laziness)
Haha, yea, heard from Wario64 that the PoP HD trilogy is a buggy mess. Hope this one comes out fine.

Pooya

From what I've heard so far, PoP collection is quite horrible, typical cheap/cash grab Ubisoft, smh.
I hope this one is better and has multiplayer (wishful thinking I know :/),
knowing Ubisoft they will screw it up and port PS2 games :\ .

I just don't know. A lot of the gameplay is pretty antiquated and just does not impress me as much as it did when it originally was released on the xbox. I played the 3rd one for RebelFM's gameclub last spring I think it was, and while I still enjoyed myself, it is really clunky and the graphics have sure aged. And personally, I don't mind them, but there are a lot of fail states that you can easily run into where it is really an instant game over. I know a lot of people do not like that when you can't recover from a mistake / sighting, but instead, have to just start over.

Withnail

I absolutely think it's going to be the PS2 games (unfortunately), and to expect anything else is setting yourself up for disappointment. It's pretty likely IMO that Sony have provided tools or a methodology to encourage publishers to port PS2 games to PS3 as part of this whole Classics HD label they've got going.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
If the PoP trilogy is any indication, these will not be worth buying. That's a shame, because I'd definitely pick up all three SC games on PS3 if they were done right.

rvy said:
I'm not gonna buy shitty PS2 games, lol.

This. I'd probably buy a decent trilogy of the Xbox/PC versions, because I do love those three Splinter Cell games. But I wont buy a cheap port of the inferior (although still quite impressive) PS2 versions.

In the end, the Xbox versions do run on the 360 without issues, the only reason to get this would be to get online play into Spies vs Mercs. I still don't understand why that hasn't been made into a stand alone XBLA/PSN title yet.

8 player Spies vs Mercs built as a download title a la Battlefield 1943 would be an instant buy for me. I'm now going to look through this thread and see if I already posted these exact sentiments a couple of months ago.

WickedCobra03 said:
I just don't know. A lot of the gameplay is pretty antiquated and just does not impress me as much as it did when it originally was released on the xbox. I played the 3rd one for RebelFM's gameclub last spring I think it was, and while I still enjoyed myself, it is really clunky and the graphics have sure aged. And personally, I don't mind them, but there are a lot of fail states that you can easily run into where it is really an instant game over. I know a lot of people do not like that when you can't recover from a mistake
Conviction was far worse because the levels were far more restrictive.
Plus, what's fun is a ghost run.

Ico & SotC in HD and a Silent Hill collection is all i need. screw this... no wait, i might want this too, never played any Splinter Cell!

The HD collections are really most appreciated for last-gen's mind-blowingly amazing looking games, stuff like God of War 1 & 2 and Shadow of the Colossus, games that were beyond their time visually and were really only held back by the low resolution of the PS2 output.

The crappy PS2 Prince of Persia and Splinter Cell Ports, and whatever else Ubi-Soft and other third parties decide to crap out for hope to get a quick buck really don't make a lot of sense compared to stuff like GoW and ICO Collection, or things people want like Final Fantasy or ZOE Collection.

dark10x

Prime crotch said:
Conviction was far worse because the levels were far more restrictive.
Plus, what's fun is a ghost run.
Really? The levels in the original games were already ultra restrictive. They offered very little in the way of options to the player and relied almost entirely on trial and error. There was almost no room for deviation.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
dark10x said:
Really? The levels in the original games were already ultra restrictive. They offered very little in the way of options to the player and relied almost entirely on trial and error. There was almost no room for deviation.
That's less true for Chaos Theory.

tzare

i'd love to have splintercell collection for PS3 or 360, but please Ubisoft, port xbox/pc games instead of ps2 ones XD

oh and spies vs mercs please!

dark10x said:
Chaos Theory fixed that, it's pretty much the peak of the series's old game style

Raistlin

The sad thing is if these flop, it may scare off others from doing remakes :\

Hey devs/producers ... people will by remakes if 1) the core game is decent, and 2) the remake actually involves decent graphics and features.

Developing shit and then complaining it doesn't sell smells of Wii all over again.

dark10x

BobsRevenge said:
That's less true for Chaos Theory.
I really need to go back to that one then. I played through the first five missions or so, but I thought it was every bit as trial and error driven as the first two (though I much preferred the style).

How's it run on the PC these days? Any issues with Win 7?

Pooya

dark10x said:
I really need to go back to that one then. I played through the first five missions or so, but I thought it was every bit as trial and error driven as the first two (though I much preferred the style).

works perfectly, $10 on steam last time I checked. 360 pad works but you have to map triggers to mouse buttons with xpadder, everything else works. You can edit an ini to get more resolution/change FOV, you can find info on widescreen gaming forum, just google it.
In game AA option doesn't work if you enable HDR, just force it in driver with nhancer or ATI equivalent

dark10x said:

I might have said the same thing about Chaos Theory before I went back and played through the original Splinter Cell not too long ago. The game was still fun, but it really stood out to me a lot more than when I originally played it how restrictive the design is. The designers very clearly decided where they want you to be stealthy and where they want you to be aggressive, at times making it difficult if not impossible to take the opposite approach. It made me appreciate how much actually changed in Chaos Theory and how much more freedom the design in that game affords.

dark10x

ElectricBanquet said:
I might have said the same thing about Chaos Theory before I went back and played through the original Splinter Cell not too long ago. The game was still fun, but it really stood out to me a lot more than when I originally played it how restrictive the design is. The designers very clearly decided where they want you to be stealthy and where they want you to be aggressive, at times making it difficult if not impossible to take the opposite approach. It made me appreciate how much actually changed in Chaos Theory and how much more freedom the design in that game affords.
That may be it. I still found Chaos Theory restrictive, but it may have actually been less so than the original.

Why For?

Banned
If they confirm they're porting the Xbox versions, I'd be tempted. Although I still own all of them except the original on Xbox anyway.

-viper- said:
All I want is:

Twin Snakes, MGS2, and MGS3 for the PS3 in full 720p 60fps.
MarioYoshi--article_image.jpg

Doubt that'll happen (thank god).

Top Bottom