• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Splinter Cell Trilogy for the PS3

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
duckroll said:
Well, my point is exactly that though. Is this going to be a HD Classics label PS3-only collection that takes the PS2 originals and re-renders in HD with little else done other than redone 2D on-screen textures and stuff ala God of War Collection? Or will it be an actual "remake" which will carry it's own label and have more work put into it?

Because if it's the former, than honestly, I don't see how it's a great idea because no one really wants the PS2 versions of Splinter Cell, regardless of improved resolution. :lol

Yeah, I know.

I'm crossing my fingers for a proper HD remake that isn't lazily done like the God of War collection (which isn't bad, but yeah... buggy and the cutscenes are blurry messes because they weren't redone. WTF.), because I'd love me some achievement/trophies + HD SC1. :lol

Yazuka

duckroll said:
I'm pretty sure the Prince of Persia Trilogy is a triple-pack box which just includes all 3 games in separate packaging. Correct me if I'm wrong. :p
Yeah, you are right. You got a paper cover,you could put the seperate packages in but that's the only thing that was new.
But we did also get a box with all the game discs, pack into one packaged here in Europe at least.

Sanic

Yeah, I would buy this if it was a port of the Xbox/PC version and multiplayer was included.

Pooya

TheSeks said:
Yeah, I know.

I'm crossing my fingers for a proper HD remake that isn't lazily done like the God of War collection (which isn't bad, but yeah... buggy and the cutscenes are blurry messes because they weren't redone. WTF.), because I'd love me some achievement/trophies + HD SC1. :lol
yep, trophies are a welcome addition.
SC 1-3 have terrible quality videos (NEWS clips/ CG cutscenes) I don't think they will redo them. SCCT still looks good on PC but videos are just terrible on high resolution displays.

yurinka

Well, if they are going to port Splinter Cell trilogy, I think it would be smarter from them to port the PC version and release it in HD + trophies for PS3 and 360.

PoP trilogy also would be cool to see it in HD.

And obviously, MGS Trilogy in HD too.

For MGS, I would release another one (or would include in the MGS Trilogy BD) with emulated versions of Peace walker, Portable ops, MGS Acid 1 & 2 and the 2 Metal Gear MSX games. Just dreaming.

duckroll

TheSeks said:
Yeah, I know.

God of War 2 is really, really good because of the lack of FMVs. Everything looks pretty awesome and the game plays well. God of War was really, really lulz. The frequent use of higher resolution "real time" models in FMV form might have worked when it was on the PS2, but on the PS3 it looks like a mess of crap. The real time parts of the game looked way better in comparison. >_<

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
It really sucked that the FMVs of GoW and GoW2 in the GoW Collection are in SD resolution.

Luigiv

This seems like an odd choice given that they're also doing a port (remake?) of Chaos Theory (by itself) for the 3DS. The Trilogy just sounds like a great way to get SC3DS not to sell.

TheSeks said:
In comparison to X-box/PC? Hell yes.

In comparison to Gamecube? Um... yeah.

So long as this is the X-box/PC version redone, DO WANT.

huh... so if they got the 1080p 60fps treatment they'd still be worse? does not compute.

duckroll

Luigiv said:
This seems like an odd choice given that they're also doing a port (remake?) of Chaos Theory (by itself) for the 3DS. The Trilogy just sounds like a great way to get SC3DS not to sell.

How's that any different from the portable version of any of Ubisoft's other games? :lol

NinjaFusion said:
huh... so if they got the 1080p 60fps treatment they'd still be worse? does not compute.

If they're the PS2 versions? Yes.

Ridley327

NinjaFusion said:
The PS2 versions were broken up into smaller sections and had noticeably worse graphics and effects versus the Xbox/PC version of the same game. Porting those over would be a waste of time.

Ridley327 said:
The PS2 versions were broken up into smaller sections and had noticeably worse graphics and effects versus the Xbox/PC version of the same game. Porting those over would be a waste of time.

sure... but these hd classics are hd ports of PS2 games... so it's silly to pretend we're going to get anything else. IMO.

yeah, I'm sure there are people who would want this, but unlike the God of War or Sly games, you can play these six games on your PC, at full speed, in HD right now. But I wouldn't be surprised if this is PS3 and 360. Probably an ubisoft thing, not a Sony thing.

duckroll

Linkzg said:
yeah, I'm sure there are people who would want this, but unlike the God of War or Sly games, you can play these six games on your PC, at full speed, in HD right now. But I wouldn't be surprised if this is PS3 and 360. Probably an ubisoft thing, not a Sony thing.

Like I said before, if this is an Ubisoft thing which has nothing to do with the actual "rules" of HD Classics, it could be something worthwhile. Otherwise, it would just be another sad joke by Ubisoft.

We could potentially have a slew of these announcements at Gamescom then.

They could have have something like 'After the success of The God of War Trilogy, remastered in stunning HD, we are pleased to announce that several more classic Playstation 2 series will be making their way to Playstation 3. These include:

The Team ICO collection *Andrew House waits for applause* *Applause*
The Splinter Cell Collection *Andrew House waits for applause* *a few claps*
The Sly Collection *Andrew House waits for applause* *Applause*
The Prince of Persia Collecton *Andrew House waits for applause* *Tumbleweed*'

Would be a decent announcement. I'm not sure how well a Splinter Cell collection would do sales wise.

spats

Played the Splinter Cell games on the pc, and hearing that the ps2 ports were shit doesn't exactly make me want to run out and buy this.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Assuming that they're announcing new HD classics on Gamescom, I hope they also announce HD classics on TGS (such as Ico Collection, Kingdom Hearts Collection, Dark Cloud Collection).

Pooya

I took these shots few months ago, 16xAF, 1x2 SSAA + 4xMSAA.
Splinter Cell Chaos Theory
scct_battery3.jpg

splintercell3x2.jpg

The game still looks good enough after more than 5 years. First two games not much.

kinda ot but I wanna know how to have analogue input on the PC version of CT. to get sam to creep around i end up tapping the button, and it makes him look like a robot instead of a dude stealthing around.

TheSeks

NinjaFusion said:

Probably because you never played the X-box/PC version that had PROPER LIGHTING/shading (the lighting was INSANE for 2003 standards esp. on UE2.0), and level parity. Gamecube comes close in lighting. PS2? :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

But both the Gamecube/PS2 versions had to cut levels due to performance issues. If this is simply the PS2 versions, it's a fucking waste of time and Ubisoft should just cancel it after they're done working on it so they lose a million.

spats said:
Played the Splinter Cell games on the pc, and hearing that the ps2 ports were shit doesn't exactly make me want to run out and buy this.

The X-box versions were pretty much the PC verisons. Just using a controller.

Frankly, I think most of us in this thread that know what's up are wanting the PC/X-box version on PS3 and not the horribad PS2 versions. :lol

NinjaFusion said:
sure... but these hd classics are hd ports of PS2 games... so it's silly to pretend we're going to get anything else. IMO.

And who's to say it's a port of the PS2 version? They could port the X-box or PC verison just fine right now.

There is nothing stipulating that they use the PS2 assets in their "classic" line. Just because Sony is remaking PS2 "classics" with PS2 assets doesn't mean third parties have to do that.

Luigiv

DreadTheUnDead said:
kinda ot but I wanna know how to have analogue input on the PC version of CT. to get sam to creep around i end up tapping the button, and it makes him look like a robot instead of a dude stealthing around.
Plug in a USB controller?

thuway

ULTROS! said:
Assuming that they're announcing new HD classics on Gamescom, I hope they also announce HD classics on TGS (such as Ico Collection, Kingdom Hearts Collection, Dark Cloud Collection).

Dream on about Kingdom Hearts.

Also the original Dark Cloud is dated as fuck.

Ridley327

Sands of Time and Chaos Theory are certainly classics; it's just that if they're PS2 ports, then we definitely aren't getting THE classic Chaos Theory.

TheSeks

DMeisterJ said:
These games are not classics.

You... you...

Ugh...

Urge... to... punch...

The only thing "dated" in them is the storyline/timeline. But the games are classics for being "true stealth" (though SC1-2 having the alarm system also made them HARD) with light and darkness being put into play. There is nothing like sneaking up to a dude and having him not know you're there because you're in the dark. So awesome.

Edit: Actually, fuck it. First time your tag comes into use:

DMeisterJ
D is for Dumbass, M is for Makes terrible posts, J is for JUST SHUT THE FUCK UP ALREADY

:lol

NinjaFusion said:

Porting the PS2 versions would be a a lot more work than porting the PC versions and lead to a terrible end result, it'd just make no sense at all.

For those that aren't aware, the PC version of Chaos Theory is a pretty huge upgrade over even the Xbox version, HDR lighting, soft shadows, much better resolution textures, its tech. is pretty similar to early generation PS3 games tbh.

Polk

brain_stew said:
Porting the PS2 versions would be a a lot more work than porting the PC versions and lead to a terrible end result, it'd just make no sense at all.
Unless Sony is helping with this remakes.

Polk said:
Unless Sony is helping with this remakes.

Even then, the PS2 was an unwieldy beast, coding for that machine is nothing like coding for a modern system. The PC versions were aimed at GPUs just like RSX and the game was never CPU heavy so just just quickly porting over the single threaded x86 code to PowerPC shouldn't be too much of a hassle. It just makes no sense porting anything other than the PC code.

TheSeks said:
The X-box versions were pretty much the PC verisons. Just using a controller.

That may have been the case for the first two games (I'm a little unsure on that) barring the usual image quality differences of course but its definitely not the case for Chaos Theory, not at all. There certainly wasn't any HDR lighting in the Xbox version for starters. I seriously doubt it had parrallax mapping and soft shadowing either considering they required SM 3.0 hardware on the PC.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
DMeisterJ said:
These games are not classics.

Metal Gear, Devil May Cry, etc. are moreso classics.
Must...not...quote...tag...damnit.

Well, as long as the games are ported from the PC editions (Chaos Theory especially) then not much will need to be done to make them into HD because all 3 are UT 2.5 and are fully widescreen capable.

That said, I would love to see the 3 first games re-created in the Conviction engine, but that is clearly asking too much.

brain_stew said:
That may have been the case for the first two games (I'm a little unsure on that) barring the usual image quality differences of course but its definitely not the case for Chaos Theory, not at all. There certainly wasn't any HDR lighting in the Xbox version for starters. I seriously doubt it had parrallax mapping and soft shadowing either considering they required SM 3.0 hardware on the PC.
Actually, Chaos Theory on Xbox looked remarkably good, especially on 360 vis BC. It was like playing the game on Pixel Shader 1.1, but a few gfx tricks aside, it looked much better than you might expect.

DreadTheUnDead said:

the scroll wheel adjusts your movement speed in the PC splinter cell games

Stop It said:
Actually, Chaos Theory on Xbox looked remarkably good, especially on 360 vis BC. It was like playing the game on Pixel Shader 1.1, but a few gfx tricks aside, it looked much better than you might expect.

Oh no, I'm not debating that at all, it was probably the most impressive Xbox release there was, and yeah, it packed all the effects of the shader model 1.1 PC version which was quite a feat. Though once you add in the higher resolution textures and the SM 3.0 effects then the PC version is quite leap above even that. Like I said, the technology in the PC version of Chaos Theory is pretty much on par with early generation PS3 titles.

If they use the Xbox/PC versions is wouldn't really make sense to call it PS2 classics nor would it make sense to only release it on the PS3.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
gofreak said:
Amazon France seems suspicious to me.

Just before E3 some tantalising game entries appeared that didn't materialise at E3 and have yet to show. Indeed I think one of them was explicitly denied (the Quantic Dream one).

Maybe there's a troll at Amazon, looking to excite - and then disappoint - PS3 owners? :p

Funny thing is, most of those have been removed now.

Galvanise_ said:
We could potentially have a slew of these announcements at Gamescom then.

They could have have something like 'After the success of The God of War Trilogy, remastered in stunning HD, we are pleased to announce that several more classic Playstation 2 series will be making their way to Playstation 3. These include:

The Team ICO collection *Andrew House waits for applause* *Applause*
The Splinter Cell Collection *Andrew House waits for applause* *a few claps*
The Sly Collection *Andrew House waits for applause* *Applause*
The Prince of Persia Collecton *Andrew House waits for applause* *Tumbleweed*'

The Fatal Frame collection. I'd applaud.

I've been interested to see when Sony would more formally launch the whole HD Classics thing that is so clearly in the works at this point. If this is true, it's great to see third parties getting on board this early.

El-Suave said:
I never got into Splinter Cell, only played the first one for about an hour, so this might be a good way to start. I'm not sure how well these games might have aged though.

Beyond Good and Evil, Ubisoft - DO IT!
Maybe even Rayman 2 - all more obvious remakes than Splinter Cell in my opinion.

Its not publisher or anyone else's problem if you skip on awesome games.

Top Bottom