• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Super Smash Bros Wii U & 3DS Release Date: May 16, 2014

Squishy3

Don't get cynicism, it happened before. Plus Zelda 2014 also seems pretty likely.

We need a Direct, sooner than later.
Yeah, I think Zelda 2014 is super likely and will be the big holiday/fall title if they don't end up having to delay it. Yarn Yoshi, X and SMT x Fire Emblem will probably be the summer lineup, plus I'm sure there's more unannounced titles. We know that EAD Tokyo is already working on another game and that Miyamoto has a new IP in the works.

SuperSah

Banned
Makes sense.

Unless nintendo is REALLY desperate for some WiiU releases....

Which reminds me ... is it CONFIRMED that both versions will be released at the same date ?

No.

They said they MIGHT be a little bit apart, not confirmed as "yes, we are delaying one".

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
I honestly don't expect it to release before Mighty No. 9.

Psst. It's a delay joke guys. Y'know, like how Brawl got delayed a ton. I really had to edit the post for this?

qq more

I honestly don't expect it to release before Mighty No. 9.

Mighty No. 9 is a 2015 title, whereas Smash Bros is a 2014 title

of course delays could happen, but it doesn't look like we'll get another situation where someone gets added in the last minute like Brawl (lol Sonic), and SSE isn't happening this time either

If Smash Bros came out that early, the console would be dry for the second half of the year. Nintendo isn't that out of touch. I'm expecting an October/November thing.

Gleethor

Having two heavy hitters like smash and MK only a month apart may not seem like a great idea, but these are titles with historically long legs and I think the proximity of their release would push a lot of Wii U on-the-fencers over the proverbial edge.

I highly doubt it. Sakurai seems to be a perfectionist. Brawl had several delays and Kid Icarus was originally supposed to be out for the 3DS launch.

Fandangox

I'd still rather have them work on it as much as they possibly can, all the little details and content in the game is one of the thing that makes Smash special.

AniHawk

it's possible. brawl and ssb64 were out in the first half of their respective years when they released. if this happens, then zelda must be the holiday title.

Yawnier

Banned
That would be a decent time to release it IMO, right before the inevitable summer drought of games. Does seem somewhat early though.

SkyOdin

I don't see why people are saying that Nintendo wouldn't have anything to release in the back half of the year. Just because Nintendo hasn't announced much doesn't mean they don't have stuff in the pipeline. Remember, Super Mario 3D World was only formally announced at E3, and the earliest signs of its existence were teased this January. Nintendo just likes keeping its projects close to the chest until soon before release.

We also have games like "X" supposedly due for a 2014 release.

GAMERG0D

Pokemon and WW HD were announced in January and came out in October. Smash Bros was announced in June and May isn't exactly far-fetched if we look at this pattern...

leroidys

I wonder how long brawl was delayed to get subspace emissary "right".

I would totally trade no campaign mode for a spring release.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Extremely unlikely.

Well, they might announce that and delay it to later. Nintendo likes to announce a ton of things at once and then prolong the actual releases of them to be less immediate than your first impression.

This is certainly possible and I would be very happy if it did happen.

Everyone is thinking about delays, but there's no Subspace Emissary this time to take up all of their time. Plus unlike previous Smashes this one is running on an update of a previous engine rather than an all new one. I think if we do get it as a May release Zelda is going to be 2014 for sure though.

Gleethor

I wonder if this + MK would be the Wii U's equivalent of a 3DS-style bailout (3D Land and MK about a month apart).

Edit: maybe another small strategically placed price drop as well?

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think that's likely.

Though, Smash releasing in the Spring wouldn't be a big deal. Brawl was released in March. The only way I see this happening is if Mario Kart 8 ends up being delayed until Fall 2014, which is (hopefully) not going to be the case - then again, Brawl and Mario Kart Wii came out in March/April of the same year, so.

I doubt this is true but I hope it does release during the first half of next year. I also hope Nintendo has lots of unannounced titles for the second half of 2014.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
Highly doubt that is anywhere near the actual release date, but it would be awesome getting my Smash Bros fix that early.

reKon

Banned
The 16th, ... the day before my birthday!

I have no desire for a WIi U at this point, but if anything made me buy it, it would be this game and HD Super Mario Galaxy 2 or new Starfox that actually delivers

Sandfox

If this is real Nintendo still potentially has pretty decent games coming out later in the year so its not that crazy of a move on there part. I'm not going to trust newegg though so it is what it is I guess lol.

NeonZ

Well, if they can get Zelda and X out by holiday they could have a fairly decent line up there, which would allow Smash and Mario Kart to cover early in the year. Or maybe they might even attempt to push X itself was their big holiday title? There's also SMT x FE which has dropped off the map after its announcement, but that was in the beginning of the year. It also could do some decent numbers if it takes after Fire Emblem Awakening.

The game kinda looks "Ready" sometimes, i might sound crazy but seeing all the footage and pics has me thinking it could be released earlier. and May 16 would be my guess for a early release date.

I imagine it'll be saved for September-December of 2014 though.

if Smash misses 2014 then i give up on wii u, no excuses.

Talamius

Makes sense.

Unless nintendo is REALLY desperate for some WiiU releases....

Which reminds me ... is it CONFIRMED that both versions will be released at the same date ?

Splitting the releases would make sense.

Wii U needs the game ASAP. If a MK8/SmashU 1-2 punch can't drive sales, what can?

Meanwhile, since 3DS is doing just fine, hold off Smash for a holiday title.

Mr_Joe

Don't really care when it comes out, I just want it to be as good as it can be.

If we can get that in May 2014, hell yeah.

If not, delay and polish as much as needed.

GetemMa

No way in hell. Unless Zelda U somehow manages to release in fall 2014 (it won't), there is no way Smash isn't their big November release.

Why are people so convinced that Smash is the only big release they have planned for Q4 2014?

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Someone post that image of Sakurai's wiki page being edited after the SSBB delay was announced.

Top Bottom