• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Super Smash Bros Wii U & 3DS Release Date: May 16, 2014

I'll be shocked if this releases before fall 2014. Nintendo would have nothing for Wii U in late 2014 except maybe Yarn Yoshi and Fire Emblem x SMT (which likely won't boost Wii U sales anywhere outside of maybe Japan).

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I'll be shocked if this releases before fall 2014. Nintendo would have nothing for Wii U in late 2014 except maybe Yarn Yoshi and Fire Emblem x SMT (which likely won't boost Wii U sales anywhere outside of maybe Japan).

Again, why do people think Nintendo has announced all of their 2014 titles already?

TDLink

I seriously don't expect this game before Holiday 2014, ie, around a year from now. May would be great, especially if Mario Kart hits a month or two before, but I highly doubt it will actually happen.

EulaCapra

I'm okay with this date if GAF is proven wrong. At this date, it'll give em' ample time to start amping up character reveals. ;)

Linkyn

I've actually always believed in a late spring / early summer release. As far as I can remember, both Melee and Brawl were released around that time of the year in the west. Also, it seemed to me like MK 8 was targeting a February - March release. Nintendo's more and more adopting a philosophy of not revealing games until they are fairly far in development, so we should be hearing more about the holiday 2014 lineup in early 2014, and leading up to E3. If Smash doesn't figure in that category, releasing it in May - July is a perfect window of opportunity. That way, they can keep the momentum from Mario Kart going and at the same time have the best possible title to bridge over the usually slow summer and carry them into fall.

Edit: Also, it's obviously in everyone's best interest if Nintendo are actually confident about releasing the game that early into 2014. If Smash isn't needed for the holiday, they would have to be packing one mother of a title instead of it, which obviously leads back to Zelda / big unnanounced titles of the Metroid / Starfox / F-Zero persuasion.

NeonZ

Again, why do people think Nintendo has announced all of their 2014 titles already?

Well, I guess there's how some of their January announcements, like Zelda, Yoshi, SMT x FE and X (and Smash Bros itself) seem to have been 2014 games. Now, they did announce new games for 2013 afterwards, like 3d World and Donkey Kong, but I guess that doesn't inspire confidence in complete unknowns for the future line up.

No. Just no. It's interesting (and frustrating) to me that when rumors surface that suggest a Nintendo game is getting delayed, they always come true, where as the rumors that indicate we might get a game earlier than expected never come true.

Sheroking

It's been four years since they've announced a big console game that took more than 18 months to release. They clearly didn't enjoy the Brawl and Twilight Princess process.

So I can believe it, especially since they've farmed this one out to Namco and aren't running with a smallish team like Hal Labs.

LOCK

I believe the team working on SSB is gigantic, so development shouldn't be as long as we all think. Why else get Namco's help?

Before Dk delay, I figured MK8 would release in March and SSB in April/May. This would replicate the same release pattern MK Wii and SSBB had.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I believe the team working on SSB is gigantic, so development shouldn't be as long as we all think. Why else get Namco's help?

Before Dk delay, I figured MK8 would release in March and SSB in April/May. This would replicate the same release pattern MK Wii and SSBB had.

That's true but we don't have any knowledge on how big the team is.

So they won't announce anything next year. That's dissapointing.

Btw, you forgot Pokken Fighters

i ask newegg but forgot to take a screenshot so you can choose whether to believe this or not

the representative told me that it was a placeholder received from the manufacturer and it means that it will release sometime around the date

What studios do they have that haven't announced anything? I did forget about X, but I think that's 2015.

Miyamoto has a new ip. EAD (the ones on 3DWorld) is said to be working on something else. Most of the EADs aren't working on something big. Miyamoto stated that Retro is big enough to multitask now.

That's off the top of my head

I'm pretty sure that the game has been in development for quite some time now (2 years at least I'd guess), so I don't see why everyone is thinking the game is going to be rushed. Anyways, when has Nintendo ever rushed a games production just to get it out? Even more so, when has Sakurai ever delivered a product that was lacking in content? There's some overreactions going on in this thread and it would be nothing short of amazing if this release date is real... which I think Nintendo may announce and then delay to Oct/Nov 2014.

Fandangox

I'm pretty sure that the game has been in development for quite some time now (2 years at least I'd guess), so I don't see why everyone is thinking the game is going to be rushed. Anyways, when has Nintendo ever rushed a games production just to get it out? .

Mario Kart 7, me thinks.

It's been four years since they've announced a big console game that took more than 18 months to release. They clearly didn't enjoy the Brawl and Twilight Princess process.

So I can believe it, especially since they've farmed this one out to Namco and aren't running with a smallish team like Hal Labs.

This is actually a fairly good point, most Nintendo releases for the past few years have had very quick turnarounds from announcement to release. So I guess I can believe it as well, even though I still think a late 2014 release is more likely. Both Mario Kart and Smash Bros. coming out in Spring 2014 would be pretty crazy, though.

NateDrake

I'm pretty sure that the game has been in development for quite some time now (2 years at least I'd guess), so I don't see why everyone is thinking the game is going to be rushed. Anyways, when has Nintendo ever rushed a games production just to get it out? Even more so, when has Sakurai ever delivered a product that was lacking in content? There's some overreactions going on in this thread and it would be nothing short of amazing if this release date is real... which I think Nintendo may announce and then delay to Oct/Nov 2014.

We know development started following the release of Kid Icarus -- so early 2012.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
i ask newegg but forgot to take a screenshot so you can choose whether to believe this or not

the representative told me that it was a placeholder received from the manufacturer and it means that it will release sometime around the date

Oh really? It's more likely that they would delay the game if it's in case.

When has a placeholder date actually revealed the true street date before the announcement?

From what I remembered, there are FEW time that it happened, but I could be wrong.

Lunar15

Look, I don't want to be a dick about it, but the game looks pretty rushed. Other than the jump to HD, it honestly doesn't seem like what we've seen is a huge update like previous editions. Wouldn't surprise me if they had this out early 2014.

Of course, I hope I'm proven wrong. Sakurai tends to put a lot of stuff into his games, and I'm hoping this is no exception.

The one thing that could speed up this games development is they've already said there won't be a Sub Space Emissary type mode this time around. I'm sure that mode alone took a huge chunk of development time for Brawl.

Sandfox

Look, I don't want to be a dick about it, but the game looks pretty rushed. Other than the jump to HD, it honestly doesn't seem like what we've seen is a huge update like previous editions. Wouldn't surprise me if they had this out early 2014.

Of course, I hope I'm proven wrong. Sakurai tends to put a lot of stuff into his games, and I'm hoping this is no exception.

All we've seen so far is the reveal trailer and screenshots really.

Top Bottom