• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor - TES V Skyrim Definitive Edition out on november 23th

Trogdor1123

Unless this is a huge, HUGE upgrade I don't understand why anyone would fork over 40 bucks for this. The PC version is on sale literally every other week, you can pick it up for 5 bucks and it runs on a potato.
A potato, ha-ha. I actually laughed out loud. Thanks. I agree a fair bit with this. I wouldn't pay 40 for it either. Of course if you had no computer and only a ps4 i would.

Trogdor1123

Even with mods, which are a fucking chore to install and manage without breaking everything by the way, it's still more often than not a pretty damn ugly looking game.

Sure there's these people running hundreds of mods that combine to form a few great screenshots, but the underlying core is still junk.
Really? Steam workshop is like 3 clicks to get a mod going.

gondee

Even with mods, which are a fucking chore to install and manage without breaking everything by the way, it's still more often than not a pretty damn ugly looking game.
Couple it with the fact that anything that requires SKSE (a script extender allowing more intricate mods to function), ENB (a graphics overhaul suite) or any other outside program won't be allowed, and you're looking at a seriously neutered mod selection for this rerelease. I went through the top 50 mods on Nexus and the majority of them require SKSE or are against Beth.net's terms of service.

Speaking from serious experience modding Skyrim (4+ years, 400+ mods), no question the engine is janky. There are entire sites developed to patching the basic engine to run smoother. The biggest one, the memory patch, requires SKSE to work, and without it running any serious amount of texture mods makes your game slow to a crawl. Modders JUST fixed the lip sync bug that the developers introduced into the game with version 1.9 and never patched. The lip sync bug was fixed by changing 1 BYTE of the base game. Bethesda couldn't be bothered.

Predwolf

I have no doubts it will just be 1080p, 30fps and all dlc included. No way they're going to put money into this by making a new engine or trying to change the AI.

I'll still buy it if the PS4 version is treated better than the PS3 version.

not just a resolution bump and PC textures.

That's all it's going to be, along with a better framerate.

I see a lot of people posting why? WHY? but this is one of those cases where the product isn't for the hardcore with access to and desire to play a game on PC (i.e. most of GAF). It's not FOR you. We have to remind ourselves that GAF doesn't represent most gamers. At the end of the day, it didn't cost them much to do this, and it's a good way to make some money. And make NO mistake, this will be profitable for them. It will sell well for a remaster.

With the addition of backwards compatibility there is really no reason to be re-releasing Skyrim on current gen stuff. Bethesda needs to be going full steam ahead on their next TES. Plus, the disaster regarding mods on Fallout 4 has soured alot of mod devs on the whole concept. Also as alot of other people have mentioned here modding Skyrim is frustrating and actually killed all desire for me to play it on PC.

On another note, wouldn't they be essentially killing ESO by doing this? ALOT of effort was put into ESO to get it to play as similar to Skyrim on consoles so I feel like this would be its final nail in the coffin.

stuminus3

What is your point with this ridiculous post? Are you so angry that other people might actually want to play this?
It's a joke you silly person. The last couple of TES games on PC have had really terrible controller-centric UIs that don't work so good with a mouse and keyboard, especially Skyrim. Hence "ironic twist". :)

rashbeep

Banned

Sure there's these people running hundreds of mods that combine to form a few great screenshots, but the underlying core is still junk.

This is such nonsense lmao

All you need is a good texture pack, mesh replacer, maybe a grass mod, and a ENB preset to cap it off. All of which are installed by literally drag and drop, and they won't break your game.

Yeah, how terrible is it that people love this game and are excited to play it again on their new, more powerful hardware. It's god damn depressing is what it is. Woe is me.

grow the fuck up, jesus

If something this trivial makes you sad you should probably seek some legitimate help.

I'm glad you popped in to process your complex grief.

Sorry, but I'm not going to ride the hype train for a remaster of a 5-year-old game when I'd rather have something new and interesting.

diaspora

Yeah, but I mean you'd have to be 1000% full of shit to think that's remotely true.

Rellik

Sorry, but I'm not going to ride the hype train for a remaster of a 5-year-old game when I'd rather have something new and interesting.

Good for you. Leave it to those of us who do want to play this and enjoy our time with it.

Yeah, but I mean you'd have to be 1000% full of shit to think that's remotely true.

Yeah, don't understand that at all. Skyrim was the first game I ever modded and it was pretty simple to do.

What? It is literally a click to install most or drag and drop, and you only need a few mods to make the game look way better.

You don't have to ride the hype train, but stop wiping your arse on the carriage doors.

I'm allowed to express a negative opinion about something just as much as everyone else is allowed to express a positive one. I didn't come in here and start attacking anyone or spouting off hate. I posted a simple thought.

Patchy

Banned
As I've said in a previous thread, they are hopefully doing this as an introduction to a new and long overdue engine.

I have a heavily modded version on PC that runs perfectly and looks very pretty... But the combat is still a joke.

A new engine and new combat / combat feedback system will have me buying this.

A pipe dream would also be co-op...

Let's see what they announce. :)

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I'd be interested if there's a cool CE or steelbook version or something. If it's just a standard game, I'll hold off. I still didn't even finish Skyrim, and I put well over 100 hours. I need to go and beat that game just to beat it, it feels incomplete even after all the time I spent.

xviper

if this is true then we are truly in the worst generation ever, disappointment sequels and remasters

A 60fps Bethesda game on consoles?

..Troll post? You're lucky if the game is stable at 30fps.

It's a remaster. There's a chance.

If they just port the PC version running on the highest graphical settings and don't do anything too crazy then there's a possibility... That the game MAY run at a stable 30 frames per second.

Seeing as they already ported the game to the Xbox One prior to working on Fallout 4 for the consoles it should run pretty well, a stable 30fps shouldn't be a major concern if they just ported the PC version to the consoles.

60 fps is another story, the CPUs have to do roughly twice the work in the same amount of time.

The GPU power is there, but the CPUs? My prayers go out to the developers.

Skyrim is pretty single-thread dependent on PC, so those Jaguar cores are going to be a nightmare if they attempt to get the game running at 60 fps, the multi-threading is going to be lot of work, but they may have already gotten a hold of this after porting Skyrim to the Xbox One and working on Fallout 4 for the PS4 and the Xbox One.

This is such nonsense lmao

All you need is a good texture pack, mesh replacer, maybe a grass mod, and a ENB preset to cap it off. All of which are installed by literally drag and drop, and they won't break your game.

seriously

its super easy to get skyrim looking a-mazing.

and it doesnt take a degree to do it

Freeman76

On another note, wouldn't they be essentially killing ESO by doing this? ALOT of effort was put into ESO to get it to play as similar to Skyrim on consoles so I feel like this would be its final nail in the coffin.

Wtf? What does this have to do with ESO? The problem with ESO is that it genuinely isnt very good, and releasing a remaster of Skyrim will have little to no bearing on that.

Some of the posts in this thread baffle me.

Ragona

I remember I was done with the game after crafting the highest gear, which basically broke all progression. Was that fixed with later dlc/patches?

Gurnlei

I don't expect much help from PC modders. They'll use any excuse to keep mods pc 'exclusive'.

Stereotyping isn't good.

I'd expect nothing more than 1080p, all DLC and the PC high-res textures at most for this release, and the high-res textures may be pushing it. Possibly some bug fixes.

seriously

its super easy to get skyrim looking a-mazing.

and it doesnt take a degree to do it

Almost all of my favorite mods require SKSE but they're also gameplay overhauls. As far as visual overhauls go, the overwhelming majority don't need SKSE or anything like that, although it'll be a real bummer if awesome shit like Frostfall is just out of the question for this remaster.

RdN

If they get mods working on consoles, I'm all in.

Otherwise, I'll probably skip it. Lots of good games coming this year and a remaster isn't that high on the priority list.

J_Viper

Do some of you really believe that a remaster is eating up resources from Bethesda's next big release?

There is more than likely a small team working on this, while most of the studio grinds on their next project.

Compsiox

Banned
Really? My favourite part of skyrim was starting. Set difficulty to max, make character, escape Helgen, get to whiterun and suddenly have the urge to reset the character. It's weird.

That's called boredom. You come back thinking you'll have fun starting again but as soon as you're released into the wild you have no motivation to keep playing.

Do some of you really believe that a remaster is eating up resources from Bethesda's next big release?

There is more than likely a small team working on this, while most of the studio grinds on their next project.

It's weird how people believe that. I mean, we're all aware that Bethesda began porting Skyrim years ago as a proof-of-concept for their engine on next-gen hardware. Now that they've got a full game out, why not spend a few extra resources to polish that shit up and sell it too?

Top Bottom