• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: The Last Guardian Headed To Playstation 4

I think the visual style was probably pretty locked down. I wouldn't expect it to look much better than this screenshot.

It's 1080p, already anti-aliased (it seems like), etc.
It looks downsampled from an even higher res. It won't ever have IQ as good as that (unless you count the PS4 emulators we'll be enjoying in 2035).

...but the lighting might be better.

I'm okay with this at this point. But damn...how many more years will the wait be now?

well, seeing as it took them an entire generation to come up with nothing I expect it will launch on playstation5

It's unbelievable to think that this studio released absolutely ZERO games for the PS3, and yet Sony still keeps pumping money into them.

that's a complete slap in the face to other studios like SuperBot who actually manged to finish a game this generation. yet they're the ones who were let go.

LordCanti

It looks downsampled from an even higher res. It won't ever have IQ as good as that (unless you count the PS4 emulators we'll be enjoying in 2035).

...but the lighting might be better.

Yeah, I've got 4k screenshots of the game....somewhere around my HDD's. They definitely looked natively that res, so they must have come from a computer.

I really don't think that screenshot depicts an unrealistic visual goal for the game on the PS4 though. There was never any way it was going to look that good on the PS3, but with the extra power, I think they can make it work.

The poor lighting is thanks to Sony. I forget the specifics, but they took these screenshots the wrong way and converted the white balance or something. I've got a set of corrected screenshots that someone did, but I can't find them either.

Amir0x

Banned
Honestly, as much as I would want it for PS3, it probably makes more business sense to release it on PS4. And it's not like a Twilight Princess situation where we'd have to suffer some awkward controls or anything, so it'd probably be alright.

Since they started getting help from other Sony studios and we haven't seen anything from the game in years maybe the reason why is actually because it have been in development for the PS4.

yurinka

Well, seeing that they have restarted the project a few times, it moving to PS4 does make sense.

In a way it's bad because it will be a while before I can manage a PS4. On the other hand, if the move helps the game achieve what Ueda envisioned, being a great game/experience that is, I'm ok with it.

Oh yeah, this just reminded me of that hilarious gif posted when the game's patent was dropped or something, can't quite remember.

ivW9fJ769HNeL.gif
omg, this gif is really awesome lol

brogan

Neo Member
I think the visual style was probably pretty locked down. I wouldn't expect it to look much better than this screenshot.

It's 1080p, already anti-aliased (it seems like), etc.

I hope so, I quite like the art style etc. I don't want it to feel too different.

The poor lighting is thanks to Sony. I forget the specifics, but they took these screenshots the wrong way and converted the white balance or something. I've got a set of corrected screenshots that someone did, but I can't find them either.
I dunno about that... the trailers all have really harsh lighting too. I imagine it's a design decision influenced by some hardware limitation.

ArjanN

It's such a shame this game got permission to do nothing but waste money for 7 years but 8 days, a far more promising looking game for its repsective time, was cancelled for some shitty casual game that no one bought.

Eh. 8 days looked like just another 3rd person cover based shooter with nice production values.

As long as there are news about this I'll be satisfied.
While it is true that this game (and Versus) was one of the reasons why I've bought the Ps3 in the first place there have been a lot of other very interesting and entertaining titles.

omg, this gif is really awesome lol

Master Sunhi's work that is!

LordCanti

I dunno about that... the trailers all have really harsh lighting too. I imagine it's a design decision influenced by some hardware limitation.

They shouldn't have any such limitations now, if that were ever the case. If they leave it as washed out as that screenshot shows, it's got to be an artistic decision. I hope they don't though, because the corrected shots looked a lot better.

fvng

Kotaku publishes a rumor and received the scorn of GAF, gets called shoddy journalists.

Same thing happens on GAF, everyone looks the other way.

fvng

Just goes to show the reputation of Kotaku, I guess.

And the hypocrisy of some GAFers

I was gonna say the entire team should be fired after they put it on the PS4, missing out on an entire generation is beyond ridiculous.
But apparently Team Ico is only made up of like a dozen people?
http://teamico.wikia.com/wiki/Team_Ico

Yeah great idea, fire an entire team of talented developers for missing deadlines. Sony cant afford to lose any more talent, they already lost Ueda

UberTag

I am expecting to see The Last Guardian on Wednesday. If Dragon's Crown and FFX HD are going to re-emerge from the vaporware abyss for a Vita conference nobody was watching, why wouldn't we see TLG paraded out on a stage for a much larger audience two days later?

That being said, I'm also not expecting it to make the PS4's launch window... even if it's misrepresented as being a launch title for the better half of this year. Can definitely see a smokescreen play in effect where it's dangled in front of folks to get them hyped for the PS4 only for it to be "delayed into 2014-15" after they've been hooked. That's a very Sony-like strategic play.

Honestly, this is SHOCKING NEWS material, who didn't expect this? It's essentially Sony's Pikmin 3, only that was announced half-way in the Wii's life and not prior(?).

Could end up looking like an spruced up PS3 game in that case like Pikmin 3 which shows it was a Wii game (but to me looks more than acceptable because of everything it does have visually on Wii U).

Haunted

I am expecting to see The Last Guardian on Wednesday.
Agreed.

It's been an embarrassment and it cost Sony the greatest creative mind they had working for them, but at this point, their best shot is to salvage it for an Orbis release.

Perkel

Banned
And the hypocrisy of some GAFers

Your point is ? It is not our job to check sources. Same as IGN thing few months ago.

I was lttp and corrected myself in minutes still this thread has its purpose since there really was no TLG on PS4 thread.

PS4 probably makes the most logical sense from Sony's perspective.

First, at the end of the day, TLG development has probably been going on for too long to cancel. I know that'll be a controversial conclusion, but for Sony to close up shop on this would be pretty surprising, given we've had nothing but reassurances to the contrary.

Which leaves the only explanation for the delay being a move to PS4. Combine that with the PS4 needing early days up front exclusives - and the fact that most of the teams (SSM, ND) probably won't have an early one ready... and the story starts to seem to be the only plausible explanation for the current status of TLG.

EVIL

If it is a PS4 game, it would be pretty baffling to trade in a target audience of 70+ milion (end of 2012) PS3 users for a system that won't reach any where near that for years. Especially for the niche arthouse esque game that it is, making money and earning your development costs back is a big incentive to launch it on the platform where most money could be made, the PS3

LordCanti

This game makes sense as a PS4 launch window title, but not a whole lot of sense as a second year PS4 title. I'd be shocked if they allowed it that much longer to gestate, instead of using it as a tool to bring in early PS4 adopters.

If it is a PS4 game, it would be pretty baffling to trade in a target audience of 70+ milion (end of 2012) PS3 users for a system that won't reach any where near that for years. Especially for the niche arthouse esque game that it is, making money and earning your development costs back is a big incentive to launch it on the platform where most money could be made, the PS3

Unless I've got the wrong numbers, SOTC barely topped a million lifetime sales. That was on the PS2 near the end of its life, when the install base was enormous. PS3 or PS4, The Last Guardian wasn't going to do big numbers anyway. On the other hand, it could make people buy a PS4 even if they weren't going to otherwise.

Deadstar

I hope this is true. Say Last Guardian doesn't come out until next year, if the PS4 is already out it would be weird to put LG out for PS3 when they could drive sales of the PS4 using the last guardian.

Limanima

Expected, and it's incredible how is it possible for a studio to skip an entire generation. Team ICO is dead after this. Well, they died anyway when Ueda left.

There's a real possibility that they just couldn't get it running properly on the PS3. You could already see the framerate nosedive during scenes where there's destruction.

Animal

Banned
If the PS4 is within a year from launch then sure np.

If not then they need to use it as a stop gap on PS3.

That gif in OP is amazing.

sappyday

I want to see how TLG will look on the PS4. It already looked amazing with its footage on the PS3, I can't imagine how it'll look on the PS4.

Tymerend

So, it's going to go from a platform to where it would have sold somewhat, kinda, maybe decentish to a platform with a MUCH MUCH lower playerbase and make money how?

That is, of course, assuming it comes out early on in the PS4 life cycle. For all I know, it won't ship until PS4 owners outnumber what are currently on PS3.

Even still, I'll still be shocked if this gets released.

KingJ2002

if this game still exists and it becomes a launch title that gives gamers movie like visuals... yeah... ps4 will sell like hotcakes.

prwxv3

So, it's going to go from a platform to where it would have sold somewhat, kinda, maybe decentish to a platform with a MUCH MUCH lower playerbase and make money how?

That is, of course, assuming it comes out early on in the PS4 life cycle. For all I know, it won't ship until PS4 owners outnumber what are currently on PS3.

Even still, I'll still be shocked if this gets released.

Team ICO games are not made for profit in mind.

Durante

I'd rather enjoy the game with good IQ and framerate on PS4 at this point than see it shoehorned onto PS3 in a SotC on PS2 fashion. So I hope this is true.

It would be a nice near launch game for PS4, and it probably has too many technical problems for PS3. I expect part of the reason Ueda left Sony was that he was unwilling to compromise his artistic vision to fit TLG onto PS3 by cutting stuff. So sticking it on PS4 is a good compromise for them both, the assets are likely made for 1080p anyway, so porting the game to PS3 won't require creation of new assets for a higher resolution.

One thing that doesn't add up for me, why were the PS3 experts from Santa Monica sent over to "rescue" the game if it was moving to PS4? Perhaps it was unsalvageable

Team Ico Wiki - "Since their founding in 1997, they have only released two games - Ico and Shadow of the Colossus, both for the PlayStation 2"

That's pretty fucking disgraceful imo. Of course, quality over quantity is important, but somehow I doubt TLG will end up being a game worth waiting 7+ years for. No matter what platform it's on.

One thing that doesn't add up for me, why were the PS3 experts from Santa Monica sent over to "rescue" the game if it was moving to PS4? Perhaps it was unsalvageable

They weren't sent to rescue TLG specifically, but Japanese HD development in general which has suffered greatly from a lack of output this generation. If anything they were sent over to prepare for PS4 development and get them up to speed so SCE didn't suffer from the same situation where one of their major regions was not keeping up technically, another was bogged down with Home/Singstar/Move and only one was releasing real games.

Top Bottom