• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: THQ Cancels Their 2014 Line-Up & MMO, Looking For Buyers [Up: THQ Responds]

Biggzy

Well I don't know much about these kind of things but can't they just buy and fund the IP's and have Valhalla and Vigil work for them as second parties like Insomniac did for Sony all those years?

Yeah they could, but I was specifically talking about buying up the whole studios .

Alrus

they could acquire valhalla games... and get itagaki to try and crack open japan... but they had that chance when he left tecmo-koei.

They already had exclusive Itagaki games in Japan, they didn't do shit. Itagaki games aren't really that popular.

This sucks! WWE All Stars was a good game, and I was hoping we'd get a WWE All Stars 2. The Saints Row Series was also a fun series, and I have yet to play Darksiders, but heard good things about it. Hope this rumor isn't true. :(

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
What will happen to Volition? Someboby please pick them up, Saints Row The Third is amazing!

What about Valhalla? Devil's Third? This is horrible news.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Does THQ own the rights to the pc/console Warhammer IP? What about Darksiders?

Not sure about Warhammer, but I believe -Unless I'm mistaken- they own the entire IP for Darksiders (so everything games,comic,names...ect)

What will happen to Volition? Someboby please pick them up, Saints Row The Third is amazing!

Nintendo will most likely let them make St. Mario The Third, first mature Mario game..with flying mecha dildos.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
I'm baffled at the WB praise, also. Mortal Kombat was a clusterfuck, just like Batman AC.

And what's with people talking about Darksiders and saying it's a "strong IP" and so on, like the first game set the world on fire and broke sales records or something?

Because Darksiders recieved great word of mouth

I might be wrong, but I have a feeling that this trend of of mid-tier publishers going belly up and rapid consolidation will continue, at least in the console space.

I would have thought the industry would have evolved into more of the movie studio publishing model, where there are only a dozen or so major studios.

It seems more and more like the industry is going down the television/radio model to me, though, where you have NBC, CBS, ABC and Fox as the major players that own everything. I wouldn't be surprised if in 10 years the only major publishers left are Nintendo, Activision and EA. It may seem shocking, but that's what has happened in other major mediums in the past. We just don't realize it to some extent since video games are still so young.

edit: and Valve. How could I forget valve.

Epic should still be around too. I think Valve and Epic are really the only two developers that can remain independent without any trouble.

warhammer139o1k.jpg
warhammer2rtqrt.jpg

That was just one of their ideas. I'm not joking. (It looked worse in motion)

If that is from DMO then it looked pretty good in the trailer that was released in 2010:

http://youtu.be/odTtU9Tdtbk

Alrus

And what's with people talking about Darksiders and saying it's a "strong IP" and so on, like the first game set the world on fire and broke sales records or something?

Sold like 1mil copies. Not really a massive seller, but if the budget for the games is well controlled, they could be profitable. (then again I recall some THQ exec saying the first one wasn't really a success and they hoped the second ones would sell better)

fubarduck

Heard rumors for a while, but so sad to be reading this. I hope all my friends at Vigil will be OK. So many smart & talented folks.

Sold like 1mil copies. Not really a massive seller, but if the budget for the games is well controlled, they could be profitable. (then again I recall some THQ exec saying the first one wasn't really a success and they hoped the second ones would sell better)

It's the THQ catch-22; market something like crazy, get good sales but don't turn a profit, or don't market, get terrible sales and still don't turn a profit.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Damn shame. WH40K: Space Marine was a good came with excellent gun/melee gameplay mechanics. I had hoped they make it into a series. The first one made money. Obviously not enough though.

Curious to see who goes after the WWE license, its been trapped in THQ/Yukes hell for so long.
As KingJ2002 said, EA seems the most likely and they did make 2 Def Jam games with AKI...
I'm looking forward to a change, even if it's not AKI at least there's a chance the next WWE game would a yet another Yukes mess.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Homefront 2 will be out before then right?

Kai

I believe this...

True story last month- THQ offered my friend a great job - he accepted - gave his current company 3 weeks notice and would take a 1 week vacation before starting - left the company was about to join THQ in 2 days - THQ calls and tells him his job is cancelled due to funding.

This guy has a family and basically is screwed and already set up a successor at his last company. So yah - screw THQ.

Really depressing news, fingers crossed all the exciting products (really cant wait for Darksiders 2 and was hyped for patrice desilets and Del Toro projects) they had in the works find new publishers and the talented dev teams are able to stay together.

~Kinggi~

Banned
I believe this...

True story last month- THQ offered my friend a great job - he accepted - gave his current company 3 weeks notice and would take a 1 week vacation before starting - left the company was about to join THQ in 2 days - THQ calls and tells him his job is cancelled due to funding.

This guy has a family and basically is screwed and already set up a successor at his last company. So yah - screw THQ.

Thats horrible. Sounds like a total lack of communication within THQ

I believe this...

If it's not to personal a question, What part of THQ was it?

Man, I wonder what will happen to inSane and the new Turtle Rock game.

Either outright canned or we'll see them when we would have before, just with a different logo on the cover.

MG310

As KingJ2002 said, EA seems the most likely and they did make 2 Def Jam games with AKI...
I'm looking forward to a change, even if it's not AKI at least there's a chance the next WWE game would a yet another Yukes mess.

That would be nice to have Aki back. Hopefully they wouldn't give it to whoever did EA MMA. I'd like to see someone pick up the WWE All Stars studio and give them another shot at it.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
[Nintex];34296307 said:
I hear staff might be axed starting monday but I'm unable to confirm at this time.

Yeah, that would be a pretty common occurrence in these situations.

It's almost time for their fiscal report and their last data chunk came in with the Thursday NPD, so making a decision over the weekend and finalizing for a Monday layoff.

inky

So was Tim Langdell at one point :p j/k

Yeah, even if there were still only rumors by an unnamed source it's pretty damn obvious that THQ is on it's way out for anyone who's been following them for the past couple of years. It's only a matter of when and who gets to keep what in the end.

Giantbomb gonna buy Saints Row.

Pff, they couldn't even award it GOTY. =/

Damn shame. WH40K: Space Marine was a good came with excellent gun/melee gameplay mechanics. I had hoped they make it into a series. The first one made money. Obviously not enough though.

This is the entire problem with publically traded companies.

Saints Row 3 makes money but "not enough."

Darksiders makes money but "not enough."

Space Marine made money but "not enough."

If these were private companies, they'd be fine. Everybody keeps their job and keeps on truckin making the great games these studios are clearly capable of making.

Jeezus. This is big. Hope they can keep shit together. I was in Vancouver when Slant Six, UFG, and Radical (among others) had their project-dropping meltdowns, and the result is basically what you think it was: slash-city. Employers dropping half or more of their employees in a day if needed, simply because it takes too long to line up another project while burning money (or, as UFG did, hooked up their existing project with a new publisher).

UFG and Slant survived because they were independent. Radical survived because Activision kept them on life support (and wasn't in danger of collapsing). Here? Well if THQ's front office dissolves them, that's it. There's no studio action. Hopefully a buyer steps in and keeps the core studios alive.

THQ Montreal in particular had huge expansion plans, big tax breaks and a big name at the front so losing that would really be crushing for the company.

So was Tim Langdell at one point :p j/k

Yeah, even if there were still only rumors by an unnamed source it's pretty damn obvious that THQ is on it's way out for anyone who's been following them for the past couple of years. It's only a matter of when and who gets to keep what in the end.

Pff, they couldn't even award it GOTY. =/

Saints Row looked up and shouted 'Save us!' and Giant Bomb looked down and whispered 'No.'

This is the entire problem with publically traded companies.

Saints Row 3 makes money but "not enough."

Darksiders makes money but "not enough."

Space Marine made money but "not enough."

If these were private companies, they'd be fine. Everybody keeps their job and keeps on truckin making the great games these studios are clearly capable of making.

this is a problem of liquidity, of credit, not of value of the company.

The issue is having a open credit line to ensure the normal operation of the company ....

being a public company has nothing to do with this basically

Yeah, sure, the Wii would have saved them!

de Blob was a sleeper hit on the Wii selling almost 1 million copies. The sequel went multiplatformed and bombed taking out Blue Tongue as I recall.

Anyway, sucks for the people working at THQ, and I'm surprised this company lasted this long.

Top Bottom