• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: THQ Cancels Their 2014 Line-Up & MMO, Looking For Buyers [Up: THQ Responds]

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
warhammer139o1k.jpg
warhammer2rtqrt.jpg

That was just one of their ideas. I'm not joking. (It looked worse in motion)
I'm one of the two guys that liked The Outfit. It reminded me of Team Buddies. I would love to see a DoW inspired take on the action strategy formula.

Alrus

This is the entire problem with publically traded companies.

Saints Row 3 makes money but "not enough."

Darksiders makes money but "not enough."

Space Marine made money but "not enough."

If these were private companies, they'd be fine. Everybody keeps their job and keeps on truckin making the great games these studios are clearly capable of making.

That's not really the issue here, if every game you make just breaks even, you'll be at perpetual risk. Because when one game bombs, you'll have no cash in the bank to dampen the losses.

That's probably what happened to THQ, their game were decent success but never made enough money to protect the company from a big failure.

I can't see Games Workshop buying Relic, they're having success with farming out their IP at the moment but I don't think they'd want to take the risk of spending big on a video game developer and developing their own video games.

Lime

If Relic is bought by EA, Activision, Ubisoft, microsoft, sony, or nintendo, I am going to kill myself.

[Nintex]

It's still a problem if you don't make enough money to pay your credits (or to be profitable in general). It has nothing to do with being a public company. THQ is not a company that is doing fine and is only going down because investors want more money, THQ is a company that has been doing pretty badly for quite some time.

THQ's problem is that they were directly going up against EA, Take2, Ubisoft and Activision with their approach. They weren't really the 'masters' of anything. So Saints Row always had GTA looming over it, Homefront didn't come close to COD and you can fill out the rest. They had a noble goal that was impossible to reach. Especially when you don't have enough money left to market your 'AAA' games.

DaBuddaDa

[Nintex];34296811 said:
THQ's problem is that they were directly going up against EA, Take2, Ubisoft and Activision with their approach. They weren't really the 'masters' of anything. So Saints Row always had GTA looming over it, Homefront didn't come close to COD and you can fill out the rest. They had a noble goal that was impossible to reach. Especially when you don't have enough money left to market your 'AAA' games.

This perfectly encapsulates the death of the "mid-tier" game to a tee.

This perfectly encapsulates the death of the "mid-tier" game to a tee.
Yup.

A hindsight discussion: If they didn't try to go for the top tier, what would have been the alternative? I'm not sure if they had much of a choice. I'm also wondering who else is in this mid-tier? Personally, I look at Ubi and think they also sort of fit the bill.

But they put marketing behind their games like they were AAA games. Homefront in particular comes to mind. Wonder if that was part of their problem in the long run.

Most assuredly, yes. Homefront sold just shy of a million copies but was a financial disaster because of the marketing budget, if you're failing at a million sales the failure started at the budget stage.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
This really sucks. If they are cancelling their 2014 line-up we should still get Devil's Third, Darksiders 2, Homefront 2, Metro 2033, etc. right? Those are all due before 2014.

DaBuddaDa

This really sucks. If they are cancelling their 2014 line-up we should still get Devil's Third, Darksiders 2, Homefront 2, Metro 2033, etc. right? Those are all due before 2014.

Sounds like anything being designed for next generation or more than two years out was cancelled, so presumably the games you mentioned will be OK.

FStop7

Banned
Saint's Row, Red Faction, Darksiders, and Homefront (which Crytek is making the sequel to). Plus the new games from guillermo del toro and patrice desilets.

Oh wow, i forgot about that whole lawsuit between Ubisoft and THQ over whether or not Patrice was poached, what the extent of his no-compete was, etc. I wonder if he's got his old boss at Ubi on speed dial?

Yup.

A hindsight discussion: If they didn't try to go for the top tier, what would have been the alternative? I'm not sure if they had much of a choice. I'm also wondering who else is in this mid-tier? Personally, I look at Ubi and think they also sort of fit the bill.

Just Dance 2 and 3 were two of the 10 best selling titles last year in the US. We're talking CoD numbers here.

They're not mid-tier.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
I dunno why people are being so pessimistic. They might just be looking for investment from the east like Codemasters for all we know.

But they put marketing behind their games like they were AAA games. Homefront in particular comes to mind. Wonder if that was part of their problem in the long run.

Those games were AAA titles. AAA only describes games that have really high budgets. Homefront had a budget between 35 and 50 million dollars. Just to put that in to perspective, Uncharted games cost $20 million to produce.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
If Relic is bought by EA, Activision, Ubisoft, microsoft, sony, or nintendo, I am going to kill myself.

I feel the same. :(

I can see it going to SE, Eidos. I appreciate what they have done with DE:HR and it seems to me the devs are well threated. Also a good RTS team would be a good acquisition for them I think.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
So Relic is fucked? Future 40k games are proper fucked?

I'm done. Holy shit at this news.

Saty

They should have re-tooled themselves as PC-centric publisher. THQ was being squeezed out of the console market pace in the process of this gen. Apart from Saint's Row, their games didn't gain traction.

Relic - DOW\COH\Homeworld for PC
Warhammer MMO
Bring back Red Faction taking use of current PC hardware.
Stick with WWE\UFC games on console + Saint's Row.

thefro

Hell if Nintendo actually bought Vigil they'd probably just fold the staff into Retro Studios since both are based out of Austin.

Yep... that'd be the only thing I could see them being interested in acquiring unless Iwata decides to get really aggressive. Probably will be lots of companies bidding if it gets to that point though.

DieH@rd

Banned
From best to worst case scenario:

Someone buys entire THQ
Some buys individual or pack of studios with all their IP's
THQ sells studios, keep IP's
THQ fires all developers and evict them from premises, keep all their IP's.

Sad day.

[Nintex]

I dunno why people are being so pessimistic. They might just be looking for investment from the east like Codemasters for all we know.

Their stock went below $1 a share and no one was interested. It's actually 66 cents a share right now with a market cap of 45 million. To put this in other words, you can probably buy ALL of THQ for less than what MS paid for Rare back in the day.

Alrus

Crap, keep on forgetting the Just Dance machine. Right. Disregard my statement.

They also have Assassin's Creed which is of the most successful new IP this gen. Very consistent sales and usually higher than most games not named GTA, CoD or Mario.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Just a note folks, none of this is confirmed.
We do have a few people adding in:

[Nintex];34296307 said:
I hear staff might be axed starting monday but I'm unable to confirm at this time.

I believe this...

True story last month- THQ offered my friend a great job - he accepted - gave his current company 3 weeks notice and would take a 1 week vacation before starting - left the company was about to join THQ in 2 days - THQ calls and tells him his job is cancelled due to funding.

This guy has a family and basically is screwed and already set up a successor at his last company. So yah - screw THQ.

Raistlin

Sucks to hear ... but I was always shocked they made it this long.

Back in the 16-bit era, me an my buddies used to ironically call them totally high quality since they pretty much only released shit movie-license games and other crapware.

Cygnus X-1

Yep... that'd be the only thing I could see them being interested in acquiring unless Iwata decides to get really aggressive. Probably will be lots of companies bidding if it gets to that point though.

Nintendo is not in the position to buy anything if you ask me. They're busy trying to finish this FY with minimizing losses and then start to make profits again.

jwhit28

I still have nightmares about WCW Mayhem, so hopefully someone else besides EA picks up the WWE license unless EA lets AKI do it.

EA Sports has come a long way. EA Canada (NHL, FIFA, Skate, Fight Night) has been a top developer the last few years. The MMA games is pretty good, but lack the UFC star power.

2K Sports is day & night between NBA (best sports series going in my opinion) and MLB.

FyreWulff

Nintendo is not in the position to buy anything if you ask me. They're busy trying to finish this FY with minimizing losses and then start to make profits again.

They have 6 billion dollars in the bank and no debt. It'd cost them, like what, 70 million to buy all the outstanding shares of THQ?

Joni

Yup.

Ubisoft was the third biggest publisher worldwide in 2009. Square-Enix might have taken their spot with the Eidos deal, but I wouldn't call them mid-tier. Mid-tier is probably Namco Bandai, Tecmo Koei, Warner Bros, SEGA, THQ and Take Two with top-tier being Activision, EA, Ubisoft and Square-Enix.

Elginer

tumblr_lxuzp4LnF51qlkw8n.gif

Seriously, Microsoft needs to pick up Vigil and Relic. Those are two fantastic fucking devs right there.

Volition is also awesome as hell. Sadly this means that Del Toro project will never get done, damn that burns my ass. I even enjoyed last years Red Faction, it wasn't as good as the open world one but it was a fun game and best of all the PC version was rock solid.

Proelite

tumblr_lxuzp4LnF51qlkw8n.gif

Seriously, Microsoft needs to pick up Vigil and Relic. Those are two fantastic fucking devs right there.

Volition is also awesome as hell. Sadly this means that Del Toro project will never get done, damn that burns my ass. I even enjoyed last years Red Faction, it wasn't as good as the open world one but it was a fun game and best of all the PC version was rock solid.

MS picking up Relic? Fuck that. They'll have Relic making RTS games for Kinect only, and them shutting them down like Ensemble after the games don't sell.

EA is a good choice. They have a pedigree for focusing on PC only RTSes, and Generals 2 is looking pretty good.

Top Bottom