• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: THQ Cancels Their 2014 Line-Up & MMO, Looking For Buyers [Up: THQ Responds]

[Nintex]

I'm expecting Square Enix to pick up the Montreal staff. They had some big expansion plans for Eidos Montreal that they could carry out with such a huge gain in staff.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Also, I suspect Relic, Vigil and Volition won't have much trouble being sold off. All three are capable studios. Saints Row is popular enough for another publisher to want in, as is Dawn of War. Darksiders will probably depend on how Darksiders II does, but if it does well then Vigil wont have any issues.

Where they end up and if the IPs will follow is another case all together.

v1oz

This doesn't make sense. I thought their WWE and UFC games were selling very well? They also have that gimmicky uDraw tablet thing that sold like hot cakes on Wii.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Wouldn't shock me if we had a thread like this for Konami in a few years.

Even though Konami's game division deserves it, their arcade division still brings in bank.

I really enjoyed THQ this gen. Unlike the other publishers who folded towards making everything for consoles, they let developers make what they wanted. Companies like Relic would not have existed at EA or Activision. And they actually seem to take risks with the Eastern developers. At least they are going out with a bang, Darksiders II and South Park RPG.

Question is who is going to buy them up. As of right now, I think Warner Bros is probably the most likely suitor for taking the lions share. Smaller company compared to the other major players, but with the same financial backing and seemingly looking to expand. Grabbing Volition, who doesn't have any overlap with properties they are strong at seems like a good idea. Relic too is another good place for them to grab some ground in.

aeolist

Banned
My main concerns would be if a platform holder bought them or if they ended up GFWL or Origin exclusive on PC.

Unfortunately that doesn't leave a whole lot of buyers.

I'd love to see Warner Bros. Interactive pick up Volition. They're doing a great job as a publisher and Volition would have plenty of funding.

Nairume

Banned
I'm talking a lot about NOA because Nintendo wouldn't be buying THQ for the Japanese market. It would have to be done for the western divisions. And when NOA shows zero interest in these type of projects, what would be the point?
Wait, what? So, because they haven't been localizing random JRPGs, they are showing "zero interest" in games that would break out in the west?

Because it seems like every time a major western publisher/developer wants to put something on one of their consoles, they've made some effort to promote it. They even gave part of their last E3 to Vigil/THQ to talk about Darksiders 2!

Maybe this would be a good time for Capcom to indulge its western studio fetish.

A capcom published saints row game could be something cool.

I can see volition having some fun playing with old capcom stuff just like the Dead Rising people did.

I hope that Vigil owns Darksiders IP, if not then I DONT WANNA LIVE IN THIS WORLD ANYMORE.

Also, who owns Homeworld IP? Relic or THQ?

Vigil is 100% owned by THQ, so they own all the IPs that are developed through the studio. Same with Relic. THQ owns both Homeworld and Darksiders.

Most of the older, smaller console and PC dev houses went under last gen. This gen is all about people connected directly to the dwindling number of large publishers left. Next gen console and PC gaming has to come from the army of small devs left in the wake of all of this consolidation and squeezing out. If not them, who will fill the ranks of next-gen gaming development?

benzy

Hate to see them go. So many talented people there.

Probably Capcom, they like/love western devs. Moreover they can use Itagaki's team to make the next Devil May Cry.

Itagaki/Valhalla Games isn't a part of THQ, they're is just publishing Itagaki's game.

Xater

Also, I suspect Relic, Vigil and Volition won't have much trouble being sold off. All three are capable studios. Saints Row is popular enough for another publisher to want in, as is Dawn of War. Darksiders will probably depend on how Darksiders II does, but if it does well then Vigil wont have any issues.

Where they end up and if the IPs will follow is another case all together.

Problem with Relic is their success comes to a big extent from a license. So whoever buys them would also have to use some change to pay Games Workshop.

I see a lot of love for WB but my (very limited) recent experience with them was not good.

As great as Arkham City may have been, WB bungled that release terribly.

You had the Catwoman deal, codes not being included with the game, annoying store specific pre-order bonuses, artificial delays for the PC version (claiming it was for 'polish' yet the entire Rocksteady team went on vacation during that time and the code showed the PC version development wrapped along the console versions -- and the PC version ended up with a broken DX11 mode which is still buggy even after patching), vanishing saves, and terrible communication concerning all of these issues the entire time.

Arkham City would have been just as good and perhaps better if WB hadn't bought Rocksteady.

Man, sucks for all those people's jobs.

The only funny thing I can think that will come out of this is to see Dana White accept EA's cash the license to the UFC games after he talked trash about them.

I hope whoever picks up Volition also gets the Punisher rights and I hope whoever ends up with the WWE rights hooks up with AKI.

This doesn't make sense. I thought their WWE and UFC games were selling very well? They also have that gimmicky uDraw tablet thing that sold like hot cakes on Wii.

Their stock crashed after the UDraw tablet bombed on the HD platforms. I'm sure there were other contributing factors, but that's supposedly what happened.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
please let darksiders 2 release

Patryn

I wonder if Games Workshop would be interested in picking up Relic during this upcoming fire sale on the cheap to do Warhammer games in house for them.

This would e best case scenario for Relic.

I worry that even if another company bought Relic, they'd take them off the WH games, because, after all, they'd not only have to pay for Relic but also then acquire the WH license.

Maybe I'm being pessimistic, but I think we've seen the last of the Relic WH40k games.

Given the strength of the IP, and the fact that I'm sure that they're mostly done with that game, I have little doubt that some other studio will pick it up cheap off of THQ's corpse and release it. It just might be delayed while that's going on.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Problem with Relic is their success comes to a big extent from a license. So whoever buys them would also have to use some change to pay Games Workshop.

If the IPs were sold off along with the company then yeah, it would cost quite a bit. If not, the studio still has quite a bit going for it. Based on their titles they're fast, efficient, and consistently high quality. For a publisher looking to expand with a new stuido and not wanting to go through the growing pains of restructuring, training and all that crap, Relic would be a good choice.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
If the IPs were sold off along with the company then yeah, it would cost quite a bit. If not, the studio still has quite a bit going for it. Based on their titles they're fast, efficient, and consistently high quality. For a publisher looking to expand with a new stuido and not wanting to go through the growing pains of restructuring, training and all that crap, Relic would be a good choice.

Right, I mean, fully functional teams for sale for cheap are very attractive targets.

Montreal is as well due to their tax situation.

That means the only one in major risk of complete shutdown is THQ San Diego.

Some other studios might lose a lot of staff though.

AngryMoth

Wow I didn't realise how bad things were for them. Saint's Row gave me a renewed positive image of them. I was looking forward to insane too after hearing del Toro's talk with Ken Levine. Hope they find another publisher.

Xater

I see a lot of love for WB but my (very limited) recent experience with them was not good.

As great as Arkham City may have been, WB bungled that release terribly.

You had the Catwoman deal, codes not being included with the game, annoying store specific pre-order bonuses, artificial delays for the PC version (claiming it was for 'polish' yet the entire Rocksteady team went on vacation during that time and the code showed the PC version development wrapped along the console versions -- and the PC version ended up with a broken DX11 mode which is still buggy even after patching), vanishing saves, and terrible communication concerning all of these issues the entire time.

Arkham City would have been just as good and perhaps better if WB hadn't bought Rocksteady.

Sorry but your petty problems have nothing to do with the big picture of WB so far doing a pretty great job as a publisher. They got the talent and released 2 excellent titles last year.

Maybe, but I'm pretty sure THQ was funding that project, and it uses CryENGINE 3, not the Source Engine, so who knows.

3cd8a33a.png

The more I think about it, the more sad I become thinking that THQ had an outstanding lineup of games, but their financials were shit.

I am still confused what happens with the Saints Row 3 Season Pass. THQ already got money from some people for it, so if someone buys Volition (and the SR IP), what insensitive does the new owner have to keep funding the releasing of that content? People who paid 1800MP(?) are not going to be too happy if get no more content!

Man I hope Relic stays intact and finds a good home. This gen really puts the hammer down.

That'll teach em for making good games!

The fuck is wrong with this industry :\

I own darksiders , dawn of war II and expansions.
Have you done your part?
Yes, Darksiders was so boring though (could only play a couple of hours). Also get Space Marine, Metro, Stalker, CoH, RF:G, de Blob, Lock's Quest and probably a few others. They really published some good games (amongst the sea of licensed crap of course).

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Pretty sad to see this happening.

How many publishers/devs have gone under or come close this gen? It seems like there have been a ton ... Bizarre Creations, Blue Tongue, Cing, Clover Studios, Ensemble Studios, Factor5(US Branch), Incognito, Krome Studios (meh), Midway, Pandemic Studios, Team Bondi and now THQ.

Seems more than last gen to me.

Why'd you have to go and remind me about Ensemble. It's such bullshit MS closed that studio just because they were a PC/RTS studio at heart.

Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo scavenged from THQs corpse, they really could use more western studios. Not that it would do much good if they don't have any freedom, i.e., Retro, but hopefully Nintendo can improve on that front.

But I think it's more likely somebody else picks them up, or THQ just sells off studios individually to various other publishers.

[Nintex];34291931 said:
Unlike what you'd expect Nintendo hasn't actually bought Monster Games yet.

And this is why I don't think Nintendo would do it.

Acosta

Relic won't have any problems to be sold. It has show once and again that they are a really reliable studio, able to do constant and good work. Loosing the WH brand would hurt, but I'm sure they are very attractive (and not terribly expensive).

I just hope they find a good home.

I wanted to warn you all that in case they do auction off their various IP, I am prepared to bid up to FIFTEEN United States Dollars for the rights to Robo Pit.

20120115-pg14s1mqg4in1hqhn321cjxan.jpg

Yes, Robo Pit will be mine.

Just imagine, Robo Pit, returning in 2016 to next-gen consoles. Because nothing says "next-gen" like ROBO PIT.

Wb should be making a move for volition.

I wouldn't mind ninty going for darksiders.

But who am I kidding ea will just buy them and shit them up.

[Nintex];34291931 said:
Unlike what you'd expect Nintendo hasn't actually bought Monster Games yet.

I believe Iwata has stated that he doesn't like to buy companies anymore since all the talent can just leave when their contract is up. At that point, it's just spending a lot of money for a name.

EatChildren

Right, I mean, fully functional teams for sale for cheap are very attractive targets.

Montreal is as well due to their tax situation.

That means the only one in major risk of complete shutdown is THQ San Diego.

Some other studios might lose a lot of staff though.

It's been thrown around and always is in these cases, but if Nintendo were legitimately interested in US based studio investments that act as a branch of Nintendo Relic, Vigil and Volition would be three very good choices.

Actually, they'd be great for pretty much anyone. As we agree, established studios sold for cheap are very attractive.

Top Bottom