• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: THQ Cancels Their 2014 Line-Up & MMO, Looking For Buyers [Up: THQ Responds]

From what I remember hearing, THQ is one of the strongest publishers against there being another generation of consoles, because they are struggling with affording development on current consoles.

I could totally see EA taking that one and putting Patrice Desilets in charge of a sandbox game.

Yeah, they seem to have lost interest in EA partners being a big thing. An acquisition like that would give them the same kind of name recognition ("from the minds of Assassin's Creed") while giving them more control over the game itself and the development schedule.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
So far they have:

Internal:

Eidos Montreal Team 1: Deus Ex
Eidos Montreal Team 2: Thief
Eidos Montreal Team 3: New IP
Square Enix Montreal Team 1: Hitman
Square Enix Montreal Team 2: Unknown
Crystal Dynamics Team 1: Tomb Raider
Crystal Dynamics Team 2: New IP
IO Interactive Team 1: Hitman
IO Interactive Team 2: New IP

External:

True Crime: Hong Kong
Just Cause 3
Probably more.

They have a lot already, but yeah, they seem eager to grow.
Since Squeenix is funding all those titles and waiting for the hopefully pay off of their western dealings, I don't think they are going to make a large play at this. I think its Warner Bros being the other studio with a lot of funding and desire to expand picking up the pieces, but I do see one wild card. Volition and Saints Row. Saints Row is the closest thing to a competitor GTA has ever had, where both EA and Activision unsuccessful attempt to create their own. If they swing it off as a piece meal sale, I think one of those two are going to go after Volition and Saints Row. If its a full company sale, then I'm leaning on Warner's.

Always the possibility of an Asian company picking them up too(Similar to Riot), specifically aiming towards Relic who can make a F2P RTS. Seems to heavily come down to either selling off the company by pieces or as a whole(Definitely gonna go for the whole sale first)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
A lot of people want Darksiders II to be a WiiU exclusive, eh?

You know, exclusive to the platform it like, doesn't have an audience on.

Presumably Nintendo will fire over half their staff as well since they're not making an MMO.

It's a nice fate to wish on them.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Hmm. I wonder what this means for Darksiders 2. Could Nintendo buy exclusive rights? Even buy the whole team?

It means nothing. Darksiders II, Metro: Last Light, and everything else scheduled for 2012 will release as planned. They're all on their way to being finished and they're locked in. Budgets funded this far means there's no point holding them back. Best to get them out there making money.

It's everything else, 2013 onwards, that is called into question. Essentially the future of all their dedicated studios and owned franchises, as well as 2013 titles like inSANE and Devil's Third.

Xater

You know, exclusive to the platform it like, doesn't have an audience on.

Presumably Nintendo will fire over half their staff as well since they're not making an MMO.

It's a nice fate to wish on them.

It's also just not going to happen. The game will be released before THQ will go under. These companies just don't die over night.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
This is sad news. Vigil, Volition and Relic have been putting out some fantastic games.

So far they have:

Internal:

Eidos Montreal Team 1: Deus Ex
Eidos Montreal Team 2: Thief
Eidos Montreal Team 3: New IP
Square Enix Montreal Team 1: Hitman
Square Enix Montreal Team 2: Unknown
Crystal Dynamics Team 1: Tomb Raider
Crystal Dynamics Team 2: New IP
IO Interactive Team 1: Hitman
IO Interactive Team 2: New IP

External:

True Crime: Hong Kong
Just Cause 3
Probably more.

They have a lot already, but yeah, they seem eager to grow.

If this THQ news is true, getting Patrice Désilets at one of Eidos/SE's Montreal offices would be pretty great.

DieH@rd

Banned
Nintendo buys Vigil, makes Darksiders their new IP, makes it the go to place for people that want a gritty Zelda, continues to make the real Zelda something family friendly.

There, everybody happy.

Except PC, PS3 and X360 users.

REV 09

The big IPs should survive (SR, Darksiders, Warhammer). Del Torro's and Itagaki's game may be in trouble.

If the big studios could somehow buy themselves and contract their own work then they would also be fine.

Globox_82

Banned
I don't see why would anyone want to spend money on IPs that don't sell.

EIDOS IP had much more potential if rebooted properly. They seem to be doing fine job. Huge mistake that MS or Sony didn't get those IP's. More Sony then MS since most of their IPs have history on PS. Like Soul Reaver and TR

Do it SE

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

inky

Saints Row is the closest thing to a competitor GTA has ever had, where both EA and Activision unsuccessful attempt to create their own.

I can see it already, EA buys Volition, renames it Bioware Ill and have them make Mass Effect Row. :p

Durante

Unlike a lot of people here I really hope that none of their studios are bought by a console platform holder. I like their games being multiplatform (or PC exclusive).

THQ have some seriously talented guys under their umbrella, a rare combination of risky, gamey AAA-sized design in a sea of LCD-pandering, monkey-see-monkey-do dogmatic AAA school of design. These people need to be scooped up and given the chances they've earned repeatedly.

and so dies gaming's traditional middle class.

show's over folks.

The mitosis of the industry continues. (Does anyone have any idea just how often I've typed that out here in the last 12 months alone? It is insane....)

grendelrt

I have been waiting for that MMO since it was announced in like 2007. Biggest punch in the face ever, I really hope someone picks it up :(

scitek

I hope SE picks up the IPs which receive PC versions. I don't want everything with GFWL thrown into it and delayed a month because WB's insecure about their own marketing abilities.

Petrie

Banned
Saints Row is my favorite franchise to come out of this gen.

If this leads to the demise of that, well, fuck this.

Goldstorm

Banned
OMG I didn't even read the thread because I'm so nervous and almost crying.

What's going to happen to Darksiders 2???? I need to lie down.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
o man this gen killed a lot of companies

Massive HD development costs + publishers ignoring the Wii + global economic crisis. It's been a shitty 5 years for most developers.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Fucking uDraw HD, now that was Shenmue like bomba that killed the company.

oh well..Goodbye THQ (and RIP Volition) SR3 was a good ending for the company,I Hope that at least Square-Enix,SEGA, Capcom, or even EA, Activition or Ubi buy them, I don't want Nintendo or Microsoft to buy them because that mean they will kill the PC versions.

I could see Relic being bought out by one of the big F2P Asian companies like Nexcon or Perfect World Entertainment. Wasn't THQ pushing them to start making F2P titles? I mean they were working on Company of Heroesx Online and Dawn of War 3 was rumored to be F2P.

I can see it already, EA buys Volition, renames it Bioware Ill and have them make Mass Effect Row. :p

If this happens then I would hope the world stops, so I can get off. :p

as much as this sucks THQ has some IPs and studios that can find homes elsewhere, epecially with the ramp up heading into nextgen, I wouldn't be surprised to see MS or Sony snag up Volition or Vigil. Itagaki's company (Valhalla) is independent but had a publishing deal right?

Orayn

OMG I didn't even read the thread because I'm so nervous and almost crying.

What's going to happen to Darksiders 2???? I need to lie down.
Darksiders is safe as a 2012 release. It's anything after that's now in jeopardy if not picked up by someone else.

Fucking uDraw HD, now that was Shenmue like bomba that killed the company.

oh well..Goodbye THQ (and RIP Volition) SR3 was a good ending for the company,I Hope that at least Square-Enix,SEGA, Capcom, or even EA, Activition or Ubi buy them, I don't want Nintendo or Microsoft to buy them because that mean they will kill the PC versions.

killed by a casual game .... somehow it is ironic.

Do you work at one of the studios?

No, but THQ contracts us to work on some of their games. We've been involved with UFC, WWE, UFC Trainer, Homefront, and several other titles from them. Last title I worked on for THQ personally was Homefront but we've been involved with other more recent titles too.

Top Bottom