• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Rumor] Ubisoft is removing games from UPlay bought from unauthorized retailers

_machine

Exactly. There is no way Ubisoft could differentiate between a boxed copy retail sale or a keycode sale. You only need the key.

I will let you know how things will develop.
But they are differentiating them somehow since all the keys we have seen to be banned are from G2A, not from Amazon, which suggests that your particular keys have not been banned.

Now, G2A usually sells the games in two different ways.

First is the G2A as the seller and they guarantee a working product. In the case of Shadows of Mordor that costs 25$

Then they also act as a marketplace, which they do not moderate and take no responsibility of the keys (even go as far as to sell protection for the keys, called G2A Shield, which "guarantees 100$ successful purchase). Shadows of Mordor costs around 13$ through these resellers.

That price difference and no guarantee or responsibility from G2A should ring some alarms.

First thing I see in the thread

iQVSbGZ.jpg

Anyway they should prob just warn people that in the future keys might not be accepted from such sources.

Removing them (regardless of whether its right or not) will do them no favours. People will blame them and be less likely to buy their games in the future.

I would also imagine most people buying games from CD key sites won't just start paying full price for them either. So basically, removing them outright is a bad idea.

Bl@de

My keys are still there

sad-baby-o.gif

Wish they weren't so I could demand my money back and get something better than those crappy Ubisoft games I bought like Watch_Dogs

Far Cry 4 has been removed from my library, brilliant. I got my key from G2A for around £24, so cheap but not dirt cheap. So now I have to go through the hassle of contacting Ubi support, then attempting to get a refund/replacement from G2A but I shall not hold my breath.

I understand the reasoning behind them removing the keys if they were bought with a stolen credit card, but come on - take legal action against the reseller, I have been ripped off by them unknowingly, but I have to suffer by losing the game I paid for?

EDIT: G2A website seems to be offline. Great.

I'm in the same boat as yours. What bothers me is that atm both ubi's and g2a's helpdesks could be so busy that the passage ubi support>g2a support>paypal refund will take so long that those 26€ will be in my legacy for my children.

Was that key supplied by you to be sold directly as a G2A key or was it bought from G2A, but through a 3rd party seller which G2A doesn't take responsiblity.

Because, the thing here is that they are not banning all G2A keys (even though they are not authorized seller), but keys that seem to be bought from the G2A marketplace, which means that the keys are more likely illegal (usually from Eastern Europe, sold at less than what G2A themselves sell/suggest).

To be clear the games i sold are "western" europe. I don't deal with marketplace sellers but G2A and Kinguin directly.

There are basically 2 main issues here.

1.) Copyright infringement: According to law, key resellers are doing illegal business by stripping keys and selling them from retail boxes. Ubisoft has the fullest right to send a cease & desist letter to these companies, followed by Civil lawsuit if not complied to the C&D letter. Ubisoft is correct.

However:

2.) Consumer protection (within EU). Ubisoft has no right whatsoever to revoke the licenses activated by consumer sold by whatever company.
Ubisoft has to seek damages at the key retailers that are violating their copyright. As discussed above there is no way to differentiate between stripped key sales or retail boxed sales. In essence they are the same.

Im sure that several consumers that bought boxed games for example at Amazon but live in a different country have their key revoked. This is against EU Free Trade.

But they are differentiating them somehow since all the keys we have seen to be banned are from G2A, not from Amazon, which suggests that your particular keys have not been banned.

Now, G2A usually sells the games in two different ways.

First is the G2A as the seller and they guarantee a working product. In the case of Shadows of Mordor that costs 25$

Then they also act as a marketplace, which they do not moderate and take no responsibility of the keys (even go as far as to sell protection for the keys, called G2A Shield, which "guarantees 100$ successful purchase). Shadows of Mordor costs around 13$ through these resellers.

That price difference and no guarantee or responsibility from G2A should ring some alarms.

I know for certain that several games has been banned that i supplied.
There actually is a way they can differentiate keys for a certain area. They usually do this by IP checking.

For example:

I sell UK boxed games. A customer activates it in Poland. Ubisoft knows by IP / account check that the Polish customer activated a UK game. This should not matter whether its EU west or EU east as long as its within the EU Zone its free trade of goods.
The moment that a customer buys a key from Russia, Ubisoft will know that the Russian key has been activated on EU. But who is infringing copyright? Not the consumer but the seller which is selling Russian keys illegally imported in the EU.

That is like saying buying drugs from someone isn't wrong because he isn't in prison and since he isn't in prison, he is not doing anything wrong and you shouldn't be punished for buying from him.

No, thats ridiculous. One, they arent selling illegal goods, only possibly illegally acquired goods, so nothing the buyer did was wrong. If you buy a used game at gamestop that was traded in by somebody who stole it, you are not at fault for anything. Second, I only meant that the fact they were in open operation (going as far as sponsoring streamers) implied they probably weren't doing anything illegal, gave a sense of legitimacy to their business, not that it must be true. So ridiculous.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
You know something is up if Devolver is doing this. I only ever heard really shady things about G2A

Devolver used very similar wording to describe keys sold at Gamestop's website last week, so...

piccolo85

This is a comment from the Unknownworlds site, I post it here since I couldn't phrase it any better:

If something is stolen from me and then sold in a store, it wouldn't be ok for me to just take it back from the person who bought it in the store.

I would have to report it to the police who'd investigate if the person buying it in the end acted in good faith or not. They would also investigate the store selling stolen stuff (and most likely it'd be against the store I'd have to direct my claims).

If I'd visit the end buyer and take the stolen stuff back, and simply tell him/her to solve it with the store selling it to them (which basically is what you have done here), I'd be committing a crime.

If company would steal a game I bougt in good faith from me I would drag their asses to court! The have to sort this out with the reseller who is selling stolen codes, not the consumer!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Devolver used very similar wording to describe keys sold at Gamestop's website last week, so...

I think you're confusing Devolver (indie publisher) with Deep Silver (publisher of Gat out of Hell, keys for which GameStop accidentally sold for $5).

Chariot

Ubisoft didn't take the code back - it's not physical after all. They didn't break into your house and took it away. They just deactivated it's functionality. Like someone stole a credit card and sold it to you and at some point the company realizes that and deactivates the functionality of the card.

Stop being mad at Ubisoft and start to go against G2A and their paid youtube and twitch guys.

cyen

This is a comment from the Unknownworlds site, I post it here since I couldn't phrase it any better:

If something is stolen from me and then sold in a store, it wouldn't be ok for me to just take it back from the person who bought it in the store.

I would have to report it to the police who'd investigate if the person buying it in the end acted in good faith or not. They would also investigate the store selling stolen stuff (and most likely it'd be against the store I'd have to direct my claims).

If I'd visit the end buyer and take the stolen stuff back, and simply tell him/her to solve it with the store selling it to them (which basically is what you have done here), I'd be committing a crime.

If company would steal a game I bougt in good faith from me I would drag their asses to court! The have to sort this out with the reseller who is selling stolen codes, not the consumer!

The worst is that some revoked keys are not stolen as stated by SirJackDaniels.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I think you're confusing Devolver (indie publisher) with Deep Silver (publisher of Gat out of Hell, keys for which GameStop accidentally sold for $5).

I am, lol.

Nzyme32

If the game is bought fraudulently - you didn't pay for it, the thief pocketed the money and no one else, ie in a way where Ubi are not being payed - or rather, are having to pay for the loss of the game and the cost of the charge back, often in total double the cost of the lost game. Ubisoft, haven't just taken the game away, they void the key so no one can use it for access. That is fair, and is what most publishers do. In fact this also happens with other keys for store cash or even on consoles with fraudulent purchases of Gold / PS+

Shop somewhere that getting the games legitimately, so that this doesn't happen

Joni

No, thats ridiculous. One, they arent selling illegal goods, only possibly illegally acquired goods, so nothing the buyer did was wrong.
You'll find the law doesn't often make that distinction in their 'punishment'. For instance, counterfeit goods. You can claim your Japanese Lolex is a real Rolex, but they'll still impound it.

If you buy a used game at gamestop that was traded in by somebody who stole it, you are not at fault for anything.
You aren't at fault, but you can't exactly keep the stolen goods.

Second, I only meant that the fact they were in open operation (going as far as sponsoring streamers) implied they probably weren't doing anything illegal, gave a sense of legitimacy to their business, not that it must be true. So ridiculous.
That is not what you said. You literally called Ubisoft crybabies on the basis that G2A isn't doing anything illegal because they still exist. I deliberately used an extreme analogy to show how stupid that is.
If these companies were really doing something illegal, like generating fake keys for profit, they should be shut down and investigated. Sincet hey aren't, that tells me they have legitimate codes and are just reselling them under the table, which isn't illigal. Ubisoft may not like it, but boo fuckign hoo..

Rotzetool

Banned
They should inform the customer that they bought a not authorized key instead of silently deleting the game.
Or make some sort of survey (which will leave your key active if you choose to take it) to ask where they bought the game and for a prove you bought it there to take legal actions against the reseller.

There are many ways to deal with a problem like this, without leaving the customer in distrust or anger.

patapuf

They should inform the customer that they bought a not authorized key instead of silently deleting the game.
Or make some sort of survey (which will leave your key active if you choose to take it) to ask where they bought the game and for a prove you bought it there to take legal actions against the reseller.

There are many ways to deal with a problem like this, without leaving the customer in distrust or anger.

I'm pretty sure Ubisoft will be very happy if people start to distrust sites like G2A. (That said, it would help if they explain why the key was revoked).

ReBurn

Gold Member

I don't see how the analogy you shared holds up, really. In this case, the publisher isn't coming to your house and taking anything back from you. I tend to think of it this way:

There's this really great club. It's exclusive and the only way that you can get in the door is by swiping a key card through an electronic lock. You really want to join the club, but you think that the membership fees are too high.

So one day you hear about this guy who is selling key cards that could get you through the door for really cheap. Like for half of what you'd pay for a membership. In the back of your mind you know it's too good to be true, but you take a chance and it works! Awesome, you're in!

Well, a while later it is discovered that the reason your key card was so cheap is because it came from someone who is stealing legitimate key cards from the company and selling them on the side. The company goes through its records and matches up key cards that it has sold to members and deactivates the key cards that it didn't legitimately sell.

So what do you do? Do you get upset at the company for deactivating your key card? After all, you didn't know that the person selling it to you didn't have permission to. Or do you get upset at the person who sold you an unauthorized key card?

Caveat emptor. If something is too good to be true it usually is. It sucks, but people are using stolen keys to open locks they shouldn't be able to. It's not the publisher's fault that people are getting scammed.

iso135

Man, one night I made the bad decision of buying Rocksmith 2014 for like $25 a few months after release from G2A.... I felt bad immediately after buying it.

I haven't checked yet, so I don't know if it is missing from my account. I know it was my fault, but it kind of sucks. I definitely would never buy from a site like that again, and I haven't since Rocksmith.

Nydus

Man, one night I made the bad decision of buying Rocksmith 2014 for like $25 a few months after release from G2A.... I felt bad immediately after buying it.

I haven't checked yet, so I don't know if it is missing from my account. I know it was my fault, but it kind of sucks. I definitely would never buy from a site like that again, and I haven't since Rocksmith.

dear god. u sound like you bought crack from underaged dealers oO# dont criminalise yourself for no reason. (like buying PROOFEN stolen goods KNOWINGLY)

Streamers will do anything to make a buck. Twitch should step in and ban G2A. ManVSGame is the only streamer that's against G2A.

pahamrick

So, has anyone here who was affected and sent in proof of response from Ubi actually heard back from G2A and gotten a refund?

From things I've seen on their facebook page and around the net, people aren't getting through on live chat and support tickets are getting ignored.

-EDIT-

Buddy just texted me saying they're now wanting screenshots of the UPlay account that redeemed the game, showing all games currently listed, the account details (that lists all games redeemed on the account), and of the error that shows up when you try to re-enter the banned keys.

Wonder what they'll ask for after this, blood samples?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
So, has anyone here who was affected and sent in proof of response from Ubi actually heard back from G2A and gotten a refund?

From things I've seen on their facebook page and around the net, people aren't getting through on live chat and support tickets are getting ignored.

-EDIT-

Buddy just texted me saying they're now wanting screenshots of the UPlay account that redeemed the game, showing all games currently listed, the account details (that lists all games redeemed on the account), and of the error that shows up when you try to re-enter the banned keys.

Wonder what they'll ask for after this, blood samples?
To log the details to use down the line - 6 months or 1 year from now in order to compromise and potentially use that account's payment details as source for more stolen goods of course.

I'm jesting partially but at the same time this sort of methodology happens more often than most people realise. It's all a circle.

pahamrick

To log the details to use down the line - 6 months or 1 year from now in order to compromise and potentially use that account's payment details as source for more stolen goods of course.

I'm jesting partially but at the same time this sort of methodology happens more often than most people realise. It's all a circle.

Jokes on them, I don't save credit cards on any digital store anymore -- and those few that don't let you delete all payment methods have a pre-paid card listed with 0.00 available.

Corgi

Banned
Oh I know. Just amusing.

Actually it also shows how many people will assume its an OK site to order from and punishing the consumer won't help (again, whether this is right or wrong doesn't matter, ubisoft will get the hate).

dont' know. I feel like clicking any adsense thing will get me a virus, so it has an opposite affect for me.

Storm360

dont' know. I feel like clicking any adsense thing will get me a virus, so it has an opposite affect for me.

I kinda feel this way too, I guess its from being around in the "YOU ARE 10000TH VISITOR CLICK HERE TO WIN A FREE PLAYSTATION" days of the internet, I assume they're all scams

wazoo

So one day you hear about this guy who is selling key cards that could get you through the door for really cheap. Like for half of what you'd pay for a membership. In the back of your mind you know it's too good to be true, but you take a chance and it works! Awesome, you're in!

In the digital world, nothing is too cheap. You can argue about the honesty or not of the buyer, but in the world of steam sales, 75% GMG promotions, 8 games for 1$, and so on, the G2A sales do not look out of place.

Following your thinking, the 1$ I paid at HB for 7 EA games including Dead Space 3 is not legit. Yes, it is, and this is what the buyer is used too.

MUnited83

For you.
In the digital world, nothing is too cheap. You can argue about the honesty or not of the buyer, but in the world of steam sales, 75% GMG promotions, 8 games for 1$, and so on, the G2A sales do not look out of place.

Following your thinking, the 1$ I paid at HB for 7 EA games including Dead Space 3 is not legit. Yes, it is, and this is what the buyer is used too.

None on those happen on release date.

The Cowboy

Yeah they don't look out of place when talking about games going on sale after a while, they do however look out of place on newly released titles - which is exactly what people are talking about.

If you see a 6 month old game that was £40 at release for £15/20 then yeah it makes sense and can easily be considered legit due to sales, If you see a 1 days old game (or pre-order) for a game normally costing £40 for £15/20 then anyone (no matter what sales they are used to) should consider that it may or may not be legit and buying it can pose a risk.

Slowdive

Banned
Ubisoft has told MCV that these codes were not just ones bought from other markets, but had actually been stolen.

“We regularly deactivate keys that were fraudulently obtained and resold,” the firm told us. “In this case, we are currently investigating the origin of the fraud, and will update customers as soon as we have more information to share. In the meantime, customers should contact the vendor from whom they purchased the key.”

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/deactivated-far-cry-4-keys-were-stolen-says-ubisoft/0144365

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Jokes on them, I don't save credit cards on any digital store anymore -- and those few that don't let you delete all payment methods have a pre-paid card listed with 0.00 available.

In most cases, they supply their own stolen payment method, they're just after an established account to bypass most rudimentary fraud checks. :)

pahamrick

In most cases, they supply their own stolen payment method, they're just after an established account to bypass most rudimentary fraud checks. :)

Ah. Well, if they can figure out the password from a list of games, dlc, username and an email address -- more power to em.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Ah. Well, if they can figure out the password from a list of games, dlc, username and an email address -- more power to em.

Yeah its a devious scheme, more so since in many cases these reseller services require you to create an account with them, with their own security layer (secret question/password etc.), which in many people's cases are shared either with other accounts or their email itself. So in some cases the fraudsters have accounts handed to them literally without any effort. They also get your IP so they know where you're from so they can match stolen payment methods against that and/or a proxy IP as to not arouse undue suspicion when attempting to make use of their accounts.

NickFire

Not an Ubi fan, but if you buy stolen or unauthorized licenses then your (legitimate) beef is with the seller, not Ubi.

pahamrick

Yeah its a devious scheme, more so since in many cases these reseller services require you to create an account with them, with their own security layer (secret question/password etc.), which in many people's cases are shared either with other accounts or their email itself. So in some cases the fraudsters have accounts handed to them literally without any effort. They also get your IP so they know where you're from so they can match stolen payment methods against that and/or a proxy IP as to not arouse undue suspicion when attempting to make use of their accounts.

Interesting.

In either case, I sent my buddy links to the screenshots and he submitted them and then silence again. I told him if they don't give a resolution within the next 72 hours just submit a claim through PayPal.

sensi97

And the seller gets your paypal info (name and address). They also know your cd-key.
With those, you could recover an Origin account using chat support (name, address and cdkey were questions asked by support to verify your identity). That's how many Origin account got hacked a few years ago because people bought EA games from online reseller.
I don't know if Origin still offer the possibility to recover account by only providing address and cdkey.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
And the seller gets your paypal info (name and address). They also know your cd-key.
With those, you could recover an Origin account using chat support (name, address and cdkey were questions asked by support to verify your identity). That's how many Origin account got hacked a few years ago because people bought EA games from online reseller.
I don't know if Origin still offer the possibility to recover account by only providing address and cdkey.
Don't believe so. It's more likely they brute force the secret question answer or password. It's quite easy to do so with a proper setup unfortunately, and these fraudsters are both well funded and clever.

Chariot

Stolen keys? That is new to me. I only use Steam and sometimes Origin, so we will see how things turn out.

I mainly buy games from Steam (during sales) since I don't have time to play new releases. Otherwise I look for deals on Allkeyshop if I miss sales or try to avoid region locks.

If your car gets stolen and someone buys that stolen car it is still my car. Buying something that does not belong to the seller does not result in a valid contract. I would get my car back - no matter wether the buyer bought it in good faith or not.

This topic however isn't about physical goods. We are talking about software licenses and everything gets a lot more complicated then. If you buy a game on disc the license is tied to the disc and you can resell the disc (along with the license). With purely digital licenses it's different - we still don't have a conclusive ruling on wether or not those can be resold (the whole license being tied to an account even though you have a disc aside) - it's contested wether a ruling in the EU that came down regarding enterprise software can be generalized to all types of software.

Of course it would be good PR for Ubisoft to keep those games active for users who already bought them but unfortunately legaly they are not required to do so.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Stolen keys? That is new to me. I only use Steam and sometimes Origin, so we will see how things turn out.

I mainly buy games from Steam (during sales) since I don't have time to play new releases. Otherwise I look for deals on Allkeyshop if I miss sales or try to avoid region locks.

Then you're fine. This only relates to keys bought with stolen credit cards on Origin and Steam and such that are then re-sold on key seller websites like G2A to other people.

Edit: Missed the bit about Allkeyshop - that is an aggregator of grey market resellers - tread with caution.

Catshade

G2A responds:

“As some of you may already know, steps have been taken to remove games purchased indirectly from a publisher, via main marketplaces in the web. G2A is not in any case responsible for any of these procedures. However, we are well aware of this process and will do everything possible to compensate for that.

“For users who have made transactions without G2A Shield, we will check if the corresponding merchant was responsible for the withdrawal of the code. If so, these users will get a compensation. Any user who used G2A Shield affected by the current process will get either a new code for the game or the money back.

“G2A will make every possible exertion to prevent this kind of procedures in the future and exclude merchants responsible for such incidents from the marketplace.”

Joni

In the course of researching this story, the author registered for an account on G2A in hopes of getting more information about the Shield program. After doing so, the site sent the chosen password in plain text via email. Users should be aware that this may create a security hazard.
Oh boy. That is stupid.

Top Bottom