• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft removing access from older games DLC on PC, Decommissioning of online services September 2022

Larxia

I saw this posted on reddit today.

I always liked the multiplayer of Assassin's Creed Brotherhood, it's very unique and it wasn't as good in the sequels, so it's pretty sad to see it gone, but I guess it's somewhat understandable (although if it was using steamworks instead of uplay, this wouldn't be happening...).

What's more shocking to me is that they are also for some reason removing access to DLC :

koN5EXZ.png

Closing online services is one thing, but why are they removing access to DLCs?
I was tempted to buy Assassin's Creed Syndicate on Steam, although I find it still a bit too pricey with DLCs, but seeing this...
It means the DLC might not be playable anymore in 3 years from now for that game too, since AC 3 is only 3 years older.

I don't know, I find this quite awful.
And then you see Ubisoft being all for a cloud only future, and they want us to trust them with that :messenger_neutral:

ManaByte

I saw this posted on reddit today.

I always liked the multiplayer of Assassin's Creed Brotherhood, it's very unique and it wasn't as good in the sequels, so it's pretty sad to see it gone, but I guess it's somewhat understandable (although if it was using steamworks instead of uplay, this wouldn't be happening...).

What's more shocking to me is that they are also for some reason removing access to DLC :

koN5EXZ.png

Closing online services is one thing, but why are they removing access to DLCs?
I was tempted to buy Assassin's Creed Syndicate on Steam, although I find it still a bit too pricey with DLCs, but seeing this...
It means the DLC might not be playable anymore in 3 years from now for that game too, since AC 3 is only 3 years older.

I don't know, I find this quite awful.
And then you see Ubisoft being all for a cloud only future, and they want us to trust them with that :messenger_neutral:

Both AC3 and Brotherhood have remasters that include the DLC. I doubt many people are still playing the originals.

R6Rider

Gold Member
I heard that game is actually very good despite being quite obscure.
I had always heard good things about it and gave it a shot about 3 or 4 years ago. Didn't like it much.

Just felt really boring and the way the story was told was just uninteresting.

Ubisoft, when asked to provide hardly-ever-used DLC and online services which would therefore require not-at-all-expensive-to-maintain servers:

kevin spacey im looking for the least possible amount of responsibility GIF by The Good Films
Sony does the same shit with servers and shuts them down even sooner, it’s weak.

People love to hate on Activision but at least the original COD games still have online servers. Even for like 3DS versions lol

Guilty_AI

Driver San Francisco
You will be unable to play multiplayer, link Ubisoft accounts in-game or use online features.

Additionally, the installation and access to DLC will be unavailable.

MenacingDazzlingCaterpillar-size_restricted.gif
I own an original copy on steam.

Still play the pirated version, for shit like this.

Larxia

I wonder if if you own a ubisoft game on steam, the dlcs might still be downloadable since the games are hosted directly on steam and not on uplay, or if uplay will strictly remove the access to any dlc even if already installed.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

You dumb? Once a physical store closes you still have your physical copy. Once a digital store closes you can't download your game any more.
Not an issue if you have it downloaded already. Unless the game has some form of DRM which was my problem in the first place.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

You can't expect people to keep a game installed forever so they don't lose it. The moment you offer a digital game for sale you need to host it forever, otherwise just don't.
Ideally, yes.
But if they don't, we have external HDDs, pendrives, backup HDDs, disks.... there are dozens of ways to backup a game.

Last edited:
Fucking disgusting. We've reached the point now where companies can just take away shit you bought for no good reason at all. The old boomers who were highly critical of Steam and a digital only future back in 2003 we're right.

I own an original copy on steam.

Still play the pirated version, for shit like this.
I've always heard good things about that game but never played it. I'm having a hard time finding how to buy it online for PC. Went on G2A to check it out and the only copy is about $70???

Laptop1991

Playing Online is one thing but dlc shouldn't be barred from the main game, they should allow players to download it to their PC or console, it's the 1 Assassin Creed i never liked but still, this is what gamers predicted would happen years ago with digital only games, what happens with later AC titles in future. i like them and would want to keep the dlc.

Last edited:

Nydius

Shouldn't matter where it came from once its on my possession.

This is where your argument breaks down.
You're under the impression that you own your digital games.

You don't. The only thing you "possess" is a digital license saying you can use that game (or, in this case, extra content) so long as they allow you to.

Last edited:

Larxia

I've always heard good things about that game but never played it. I'm having a hard time finding how to buy it online for PC. Went on G2A to check it out and the only copy is about $70???
Yeah I saw a video about that, it was still a lot cheaper back then though, I guess the prices exploded since.

Guilty_AI

Got delisted long ago, and i only have it because i bought it when it was still available.
Honestly your best bet is just 'acquire' it in the 'open web', its just abandonware at this point

You don't. The only thing you "possess" is a digital license saying you can use that game (or, in this case, extra content) so long as they allow you to.
You don't own any game mate. Physical or digital, everything is licensed.

Miles708

This is what the normalisation of anti-consumer practices looks like. You think it's normal now.

This is why people shouldn't accept this online crap while they still can. Once it's normalized, is over.

And finally, buying any PC game on any store different than gog is just dumb.

I still don't know what this means?

Does this mean in-game purchases are disabled, like micro-transactions, or literally all DLC?

I get that if the multiplayer is taken offline, all content associated with it is inaccessible as well, but what about single player DLC, expansions, etc?

Ubisoft is so vague about this shit.

Larxia

I still don't know what this means?

Does this mean in-game purchases are disabled, like micro-transactions, or literally all DLC?

I get that if the multiplayer is taken offline, all content associated with it is inaccessible as well, but what about single player DLC, expansions, etc?

Ubisoft is so vague about this shit.
From the description it sounds like even single player DLC won't be accessible anymore, unless they phrased / presented this the worst possible way.

linkroi

That's kind of outrageous really, online services are one thing and it's a shame when it closes, but access to downloadable content ? again, that's just another step to fuck the customer who pays for their products... Ubisoft might be one of the shittiest companies lately, for many reasons... this is just another example of Ubisoft not caring about their customers.

Filben

If the digital store closes i can still play it too.

No, but the developer of the game can.
The digital store has the means to revoke your access. See the latest news on films via Sony and Ubisoft saying you'll lose access to DLC.

Developer can but shouldn't when you bought something

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Interesting, I thought buying games on PC supposed to safe from bullshit like this

Guilty_AI

The digital store has the means to revoke your access. See the latest news on films via Sony and Ubisoft saying you'll lose access to DLC.
You're mixing digital media with DRM. They can revoke your access from any media, even physical, if that media has some form of server based DRM. THAT is the issue
Developer can but shouldn't when you bought something
That goes for any entertainment that uses licenses.

Top Bottom