• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeal

Banned
miladesn said:
Nintendo's intent is to recapture the hardcore market.

xnk1302812740x.gif

Mind blown.

Nuclear war declared against MS/Sony.

Owzers

I go play tennis for an hour and come home to THIS?

How did Pachter get 3 new jobs in one day? Damn this guy gets around.

Huff

Banned
darkwing said:
with Wii 2 being the first console for the next gen, coupled with the 3DS looks like Nintendo is taking no prisoners

Can they support both? If 3rd party doesn't jump on board?

Zeal said:
Mind blown.

Yes. Apparently this new system launching in 2012 will be capable of 1920 horizontal and 1080 vertical pixels in progressive mode. Based on this info, it's clear that the gauntlet has been thrown down. With the promise of this unprecedented technology, it's clear that things are about to get real.

I would expect that, even if Nintendo is shopping a new system around, it is not necessarily going to be shown at E3. It might, it might not, it might be pulled at the last second. Who knows? Temper your expectations, people.

Darklord

Banned
gundamkyoukai said:
Wii is not going to even reach PS2 numbers .
They need to bring a console that will tap both the hardcore and casual.
Wii got them casual but the system did not have legs and no games are being made now.
They need both.

But who will buy it? Yay nintendo wii 2 now as Mortal Kombat, Portal 2, Crysis 2, Modern Warfare 3...except everyone has at least one of 2-3 consoles that play all those...with better online support.

birdchili

Darklord said:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHHA. Oh ok, sorry, sorry, I didn't see this. Yeah, it's fake. You have the fastest selling console ever which was aimed at a untapped market with huge success and you move away towards an audience 10% of the size? If that's true the Nintendo are confirming the casual console market that they wanted is dead and not worth pushing for. When has Nitendo ever bee hardcore though? Never.
why wouldn't they make a play for that market now though... their chances are better now than they've ever been.

it's not like the ps2 strategy of selling tons of consoles at $129 worked so badly for sony. i doubt a wii successor could pull in even a fraction of what wii did it's first few years without a new hook. the core don't need a hook - nintendo just need to get up to speed on some online and tech stuff and convince third parties to jump in. not easy, mind... but better odds now than they've had in a long time.

i'm still going to be surprised if they ditch the "wii" brand entirely for this console... that seems counter intuitive.

jintek

Banned
What do you guy's think the likelihood that Nintendo will embrace a "achievements/trophies system" on this console?

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I would have a huge laugh if it didn't support 1080p output. Hopefully it will actually have more than the 1% of games supporting 1080p on consoles now.

farnham

Banned
dissapointing

nintendo going back into the hardcore graphical powerhouse war ?

way to abandon the casual crowd

as a fan of wii sports and wii fit this is infuriating news. hopefully its all false

Darklord said:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHHA. Oh ok, sorry, sorry, I didn't see this. Yeah, it's fake. You have the fastest selling console ever which was aimed at a untapped market with huge success and you move away towards an audience 10% of the size? If that's true the Nintendo are confirming the casual console market that they wanted is dead and not worth pushing for.

So, you don't think merely being a NINTENDO system with Wii BC (in HD!) at this point won't carry over their "casual" audience?

They can position the 3DS more towards the casual audience (which is probably going toward handhelds, anyway) and re-capture the "hardcore" market with their next console. The "hardcore gamer" probably buys a lot more titles per system, which means more $$$, and Nintendo sure likes the $$$.

When has Nitendo ever bee hardcore though? Never.

NES? SNES? N64? (well, sort of)

ShockingAlberto said:
I would expect that, even if Nintendo is shopping a new system around, it is not necessarily going to be shown at E3. It might, it might not, it might be pulled at the last second. Who knows? Temper your expectations, people.
NONSENSE

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
AniHawk said:
man, it feels just like yesterday we were getting hyped for a new console generation. where does the time go.

I honestly thought we would be in for a much longer cycle, but now we're going to be into next-gen in less than two years. Damn.

MisterHero

ShockingAlberto said:
They won't have a projection of a slideshow at E3

the Wii2 will be rendering it at 16,000,000 pixels X 9,000,000 pixels resolution

KarmaCow

What has been said that couldn't already be assumed? It would stranger if the Wii 2 wasn't more powerful than current gen.

ShockingAlberto said:
It all depends on when it's coming out. If it's coming out in 2012, they'll mention it, say it's coming, and that's about it. Exactly like they did with the Wii.

But if they're looking for a 2011 launch? They're going to strip it naked and show it off to the world.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Holy crap, mindblown.

Augh, if only I didn't have to work that day. I'll try to get myself out of it because I am psyched. Edit: No, I probably won't. I can wait.

I wonder if they're going to cut the "Wii ____" or "Wii" branding, though? It's been really successful for the expanded audience, and not all of that expanded audience has developed into core gamers yet (a few of my female friends, for instance). "Super Wii"?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
tass0 said:
Fucking leaks.

We can never get surprises at E3 anymore.

This strikes me as a calculated leak. I imagine Ninteno will be sharing something "official" soon enough.

george_us

Ahhh I love new console speculation.

I'm definitely listening, Nintendo. You lost me at the Wii but you're saying the right things now. Blow me away at E3. Blow me away.

This is it.

It's time for Nintendo to open that fucking warchest and do WORK.

If they're really serious about making a console that is legitimately - not "arguably", or "if you take advantage of all the quirks", or anything like that - they need to make sure of the following:

- it needs to have legit RAM. I don't care if it has some super future astroRAM that's ultra fast or something. They better have a minimum of 1 gigabyte of it in there, so developers can stretch their legs. Cheap computers and cellphones have at least that or more, so why can't a console?

- it needs to have a GPU that at least can comply with some modern Direct X standard. It doesn't have to be DX11 or anything, and it doesn't need to support the actual API (since I'd imagine you'd have to pay MS or something to do so)...but the graphics hardware at least should be able to do stuff that games do on the HD twins and PCs today. Would it be wrong to ask for at least DX9-tier graphical effects? DX10 might be wishful thinking, lol.

- it needs to have a reasonably large amount of internal storage, in addition to the SD card slot. Don't give developers ANY EXCUSE TO GIMP ANY FEATURE OF ANYTHING RELATIVE TO THE NINTENDO VERSION OF A PIECE OF SOFTWARE...BECAUSE THEY WILL. Maybe you can't have a 250GB hard drive standard...but 16GB of included internal flash memory? That's got to be doable cheaply in 2012.

- It's probably going to have to at least have as much media functionality as the current consoles, so make sure it can do all the Dolby crap and the 5.1/7.1 crap and whatever optical out/HDMI crap is out there. 3D support is whatever; it's not going to be a dealbreaker if it's not in there. That shit also better play DVDs out of the box at least. No BRDs, fine...but it needs to play DVDs.

- One username, one friend code, one friend list, all games. No excuses.

If they're gonna have full GCN/Wii BC, that's gold already. If they're going to support all the motion stuff still, that's gold already. I hope they don't fuck up on the price, though. $249 or less, and the gen is over for all competitors before it starts.

I'm strapping in for E3; if this news is true, it's gonna be awesome.

tuffy

They're marketing it to 3rd parties now, but won't be marketing it to customers until next year when there's titles ready and things to show. I expect details like branding, appearance, controllers and target demographics are going to be very scarce for the near future.

Zeal said:

Time for the SDF and the Xbros to cast aside our petty resolution, anti-aliasing, and motion blur squabbles and unite under a single message of "It looks good enough on our platform" !!

Dascu

ShockingAlberto said:
You don't always have to be a realist. Let yourself go for a moment and step aboard the hype train.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom