• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.
AceBandage said:
So anyway... Rumor is going around that Rockstar already has a dev kit and might have a game ready for launch.
It would probably be GTA5 if anything, but I wonder if Nintendo would get them to give the version any exclusive content.

What if it turns out to be LA Noire? :O

Wii had to be what it was. If they made it more it would of cost more and they lose the price advantage they had and just straight up being in the range of toy to play with for casual people who just liked Wii Sports.

Could of Nintendo of even of made one at $300 while breaking even? They'd have to add $10 or whatever to the pack for free by including a standard Dual Analog pad. There are other things they would of needed to do on the run to be viable to segment that was likely to go 360/PS3. Not a good bet to try that strategy back in 2006.

Now/2012 is the time for Nintendo to try and Square that Circle of appealing to both. Their own experience plus Kinect and Move are helpful.

AceBandage said:
So anyway... Rumor is going around that Rockstar already has a dev kit and might have a game ready for launch.
It would probably be GTA5 if anything, but I wonder if Nintendo would get them to give the version any exclusive content.

Maybe an enhanced port of L.A. Noire? The N6 could used some bush.

vectorman06 said:
The controller will allow players to map all of their friend's faces into the game.
xqfT6.jpg

FOREVER ALONE.

Woffls

vectorman06 said:
We could use the touch screen to write notes on! "Ms Alexander looked quite tired, all the curtains were drawn closed" etc. That and the usual interactive map stuff.

Log4Girlz

civilstrife said:
I just never really understood why these developers suddenly became incapable of producing high quality PS2/GCN/XBOX/WII level games the moment Xbox360 and PS3 came out.
You'd think that they would be quite good at them by then.

I think Nintendo's intention was for a seamless transition from one generation to the next, without any major learning curve for developers, but somehow, it just didn't happen that way. Maybe it was early skepticism, but A-list teams avoided it like the plague.

Basically, I think it's a graphics whore thing. Developers are nerds. They want the newest and best tech to play with. I can understand why working with 6 year old tech just wouldn't be very exciting for them.

That was Nintendo's cover story. The intention for the Wii was to test the disruptive model. Since they did not want to invest heavily in a machine that could potentially fail catastrophically for trying something different, they offered a cheap machine. Now, one may say, but if they were really worried about succeeding, wouldn't a shitty system increase the odds of failure? Yes, but then again the risk was significantly lowered and they figured hey, if this works, this gimmick will have us rise into heaven, or fall into hell! They could give 3 shits about 3rd party companies and whether development was easy for them or not.

Pocks

antonz said:
Just to give a quick rundown of what it says

Rockstar Game at launch likely GTA5
They say Significantly more powerful than current machines
June 2012 Launch

The update at the bottom appears to be saying that 01net is expecting tech demos at E3 and "some games still backward" (Google Translation).

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
AceBandage said:

Translation:

Gamekyo said:
If the site 01net has done as much about him recently on gaming sites, it is because of big announcements about the Coffee Project, apparently the code name for the next home console from Nintendo that will offer a controller with display Touch.

In short, all that to say that the site balancing a new cartridge today by announcing, again according to his sources 'very safe' that Rockstar already had a development kit for the beast to release a title in the vicinity of the launch of the machine (which usually means in the first six months). Better yet, the site says it will be available in June 2012.

Now, we bring together the rumors:

- GTA V would be expected for 2012
- Nintendo will launch its console for 2012
- The machine would be significantly more power than a 360
- Provide for a Rockstar game for launch
- Nintendo wants to regain the public gamers

Needless to say more, but it's still well heard rumors once again. Early confirmation next week?

UPDATE:
Latest information, always 01net, the conference Nintendo this E3 will see mostly tech demos and some games still backward.

Pocks said:
The update at the bottom appears to be saying that 01net is expecting tech demos at E3 and "some games still backward" (Google Translation).

I think that's suppose to be "games not very far along" or something.

JCRedeems

Banned
Some random thoughts...

What's really smart about Nintendo is that they release usually one game of their franchices for each platform to drive sales of it. They don't churn out annual sequels for the same platform like other companies, but instead they compel gamers to buy their platforms such as 3DS to get the next Mario Kart or Paper Mario game. This is very smart strategy to move game systems.

With this in mind, you can be %100 certain the next Wii will have the following system sellers:

2D Mario
3D Mario
Smash
Zelda
Mario Kart
Pokemon games
Animal Crossing
Mario Party

Probably a few others I'm missing.

I can see franchises such as Metroid, Kirby and Donkey Kong taking a long hiatus... I hope it doesn't but they are not really big system sellers.

antonz

Pocks said:
yeah the last bit means some games that will be shown are not very far along. Which would probably mean Videos of games like the rumored Debut of Pikmin 3 being a video.

Effect

Depending what is powering the the new system and how close it is to either the PS3 or most likely the Xbox 360 in design under the hood I wonder how easy it might be for versions of current games or games currently in development to be made for the new system?

Especially if some developers might have kits or equivalent kits of some kind at the moment. Why not prepare a new Nintendo system version and hold it for the launch if it's easy to do and there isn't any specific Nintendo programming to deal with. If Nintendo could get developers to do that and it doesn't cost much to make a Nintendo version (it would be the same version as the PS3/360 or maybe even a bit better) I wonder if they could very well push for a Fall 2011 launch. How possible does everyone think that is?

If this is the case then games shouldn't be a reason to push the launch further back. If the hardware could ready and games can be ported or adjusted to account for a new Nintendo system why not launch sooner.

Effect said:
Depending what is powering the the new system and how close it is to either the PS3 or most likely the Xbox 360 in design under the hood I wonder how easy it might be for versions of current games or games currently in development to be made for the new system?

Especially if some developers might have kits or equivalent kits of some kind at the moment. Why not prepare a new Nintendo system version and hold it for the launch if it's easy to do and there isn't any specific Nintendo programming to deal with. If Nintendo could get developers to do that and it doesn't cost much to make a Nintendo version (it would be the same version as the PS3/360 or maybe even a bit better) I wonder if they could very well push for a Fall 2011 launch. How possible does everyone think that is?

If this is the case then games shouldn't be a reason to push the launch further back. If the hardware could ready and games can be ported or adjusted to account for a new Nintendo system why not launch sooner.

If it shares architecture with the 360, games could be ported in a matter of weeks with little effort.

M74

antonz said:

June 2012 Launch
Oh lawd. This is getting out of control. GTA5 on a Nintendo console. *swoon*

How long before these hopes are summarily dashed?

I have a new theory: The French are totally making all this stuff up just to see how far they can push it before we call their bluff. Why? Because they're French.

Mrbob

M74 said:

This is what Nintendo wants, though, right? The Wii was a smash hit for the casual market but Nintendo gave up a lot of money in the process by losing the hardcore market. If they are to get it back they need ports like GTA5. GTA5 on Super Wii being the superior version so to speak it should help move hardware and software sales in their favor.

If June 2012 is a target for GTA5 does this mean a first quarter release again for the new Nintendo console?

Instro

M74 said:

Wouldn't GTA5 be a given? I mean the series is no longer platform exclusive, I dont see why they wouldnt release it on the next Nintendo console if its already coming to the 360/PS3.

antonz said:

June 2012 Launch

So were back to it being significantly more powerful again. That and the 2012 release jive pretty well with the rumors about it being powered by the Trinity.

Hopefully something beyond "we are annoucing the next console at E3" will be said at the briefing next week.

From The Dust said:
GTA 5 on Nintendo? bullshit. that can't happen. can it?

There's nothing technically stopping it from happening, especially if Reggie was given the go ahead to give R* a little... incentive...

Instro said:
Wouldn't GTA5 be a given? I mean the series is no longer platform exclusive, I dont see why they wouldnt release it on the next Nintendo console if its already coming to the 360/PS3.

So were back to it being significantly more powerful again. That and the 2012 release jive pretty well with the rumors about it being powered by the Trinity.

Hopefully something beyond "we are annoucing the next console at E3" will be said at the briefing next week.

A name and maybe some screens would be the most we could hope for, really. They'll save the system itself for E3, along with any video. And we'll likely never get specs directly from Nintendo.

MYE

SovanJedi said:
I like that mockup MYE! Is that feasibly a 6" screen in the middle there though?

Late as hell but, no. I pretty much said "screw dat" when it came to the 6" screen lol

Cant see how a screen that large would work with all those buttons AND Wiimote/Nunchuck-type setup. Christ

Raide

Phonomezer said:
I imagine fists banging on tables at MS and Sony :p

In anger or laughter?

I cannot see Rockstar not making GTA for PS3/360, considering the sales of GTA4 for them. So I cannot see how a multiplaftorm game will get people to jump to the Wii 2. If somehow they did what MS and Sony could not, and get an exclusive out of Nintendo, it could be interesting for Nintendo.

Surely they cannot wait until 2012 to release their next console? What, aside from Zelda, do they have for the Wii this year?

It's okay for MS to have sparse 1st party output because, unlike Nintendo, they are showered with constant 3rd party support.

If it IS 2012 then I hope it's early 2012.

Doorman

antonz said:
yeah the last bit means some games that will be shown are not very far along. Which would probably mean Videos of games like the rumored Debut of Pikmin 3 being a video.
I don't know, if it's true that Pikmin 3 would be a Cafe game, I'd think that's probably the game that's been in development long enough that it would be given the playable treatment to really show off the benefits of the screen-controller and whatever other secrets they have in store. I mean, the famous "we're making Pikmin" line was from, what...3 years ago now? Even if it was just in the early planning phases then, I'd hope that's enough time to have something of substance to show. If not, I could see the Cafe launch being populated with a lot of really rushed tech demo-ish sort of stuff, and that's just not gonna cut it. If the goal is to entice people to jump ship to Cafe instead of waiting for Microsoft and Sony's next generation, they need to make a big splash early, content-wise. I think they understand this, which would be why they're supposedly shopping dev kits around early.

Phonomezer said:
Surely they cannot wait until 2012 to release their next console? What, aside from Zelda, do they have for the Wii this year?

It's okay for MS to have sparse 1st party output because, unlike Nintendo, they are showered with constant 3rd party support.

Zelda
Kirby
Rhythm Heaven
Xenoblade
Surprise E3 game?

abstract alien said:
The hell is a public gamer? I would think they have more public gamer than anyone, but apparently I'm missing something in its definition...

Regular gamer, basically.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
antonz said:

June 2012 Launch

They're just mixing rumours together. Relaying the IGN rumours, the 01net (and others) rumours about Rockstar etc.

Like, to be clear, 01net isn't saying anything about the launch timing being June 2012 or the 'significantly more powerful' bit which are just summarised from other sites (e.g. IGN).

Skiesofwonder

I know GT5 would be cool on a Nintendo console and be huge for sales/hardcore gamers (not much of a fan to be honest though), but I think the most significant news is another report of significantly more power then the HD twins. :eek:

I just thought of something. We are probably going to see the first of Miyamoto's new water IP for Wii HD at E3! :)

Mrbob

Raide said:
In anger or laughter?

I cannot see Rockstar not making GTA for PS3/360, considering the sales of GTA4 for them. So I cannot see how a multiplaftorm game will get people to jump to the Wii 2. If somehow they did what MS and Sony could not, and get an exclusive out of Nintendo, it could be interesting for Nintendo.

It wouldn't be exclusive. Look at the rumored goal of the Super Wii: to make it easy to port Xbox 360 games. Thus GTA5 would be on PS3/360 but the Super Wii version would be a better version of the 360 game.

There is always the potential risk that most people with either the 360 or PS3 don't care about a better version of game they can already buy on a platform they own.

Triton55

Jim Reilly said:
The next big scoop on the Nintendo console is a picture of the controller. I wonder if someone will get one.

Has IGN gotten their hands on a picture of the controller already? Or is he just saying?

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Phonomezer said:

This is what we were saying last E3. Last E3 they announced both Donkey Kong Country Returns and Kirby: Epic Yarn.

This year (hopefully) we'll get Xenoblade Chronicles and The Last Story. I think we'll get another major franchise as well on the Wii and that will be that.

antonz

gofreak said:
They're just mixing rumours together. Relaying the IGN rumours, the 01net (and others) rumours about Rockstar etc.

Like, to be clear, 01net isn't saying anything about the launch timing being June 2012 or the 'significantly more powerful' bit which are just summarised from other sites (e.g. IGN).
01nets latest article where they discuss GTA and the fact Rockstar was one of the first to be given devkits specifically says its schedule for June 2012

Skiesofwonder

boris feinbrand said:
Next thing you know Skyrim is coming out with full motion controlled Sword and Melee fighting for this thing (at least give me a move option for it for now)

Oh my, you don't know how much I want this! I don't even care what console it comes for. I would totally buy a PS3 Move bundle just to play a Motion-Controlled Skyrim (added bonus being that I can play all the games I've been missing out on the Sony-side this gen).

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
antonz said:
01nets latest article where they discuss GTA and the fact Rockstar was one of the first to be given devkits specifically says its schedule for June 2012

Sorry, you're right, that's in at the end there. The other reference on power is a mix-in though, from IGN I guess.

Woffls

Triton55 said:
Jim Reilly said:
The next big scoop on the Nintendo console is a picture of the controller. I wonder if someone will get one.
Has IGN gotten their hands on a picture of the controller already? Or is he just saying?
Could go either way. Does sorta sound like he's implying that we should listen out, but I'd be surprised if there was a controller out there in the wild already.

Doorman

AceBandage said:
Zelda
Kirby
Rhythm Heaven
Xenoblade
Surprise E3 game?
Hopefully more info on Tower of Pandora, as well.

Honestly if they touch on all of those and (I wish) toss a mention at a Last Story localization, I think that's already a fairly strong lineup for a console's Twilight years. Throw in more time dedicated to showing off 3DS software and throwing the covers off of Cafe, I don't think that Nintendo's E3 showing could be called lackluster at all unless Cafe turns out to be really unimpressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom