• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.

jman2050

I'm sure that Crysis will run on Nintendo's new baby without any diffculties. But like the 3DS and it's 3D, that raw power only counts if you leave it's main feature off."

Well this is interesting.

The plot thickens.

Like i commented in a previous post lets say Nintendo wants to send output frames to both the TV and the 6´´ screen at the same time. The supposed integrated camera on the screen could have a less obvious use. That camera could be used to track fingers positioning near the screen surface. Set it like this you won´t need to constantly be focusing attention between the TV and touch screen.

So basically this could turn a TV screen of any size in a touch screen. For some games the Wii pointer method could make more sense and be more inmersive. For others this type of direct touch method applies.

This way it doesnt depend of line of sight and you can reach the hole screen space with just your fingers.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
antonz said:
01nets latest article where they discuss GTA and the fact Rockstar was one of the first to be given devkits specifically says its schedule for June 2012

We need a new thread title update.

Woah wtf at that Escapist Magazine quote?!?!?!? This is getting goooodd :)

Effect

Raide said:
In anger or laughter?

I cannot see Rockstar not making GTA for PS3/360, considering the sales of GTA4 for them. So I cannot see how a multiplaftorm game will get people to jump to the Wii 2. If somehow they did what MS and Sony could not, and get an exclusive out of Nintendo, it could be interesting for Nintendo.

I don't think that's how people should be looking at it. Nintendo IPs will get people to buy a Wii 2. Once they have the system they will decide which version of a 3rd party game they want. Sometimes people simply flip a coin if they are a multiple console owner. Sometimes it can be a Soul Calibur 2 situation. With that the various versions had extra characters to help people decide which version they wanted. Heihachi Mishima from Tekken appeared in the PlayStation 2 version. Link from The Legend of Zelda appeared in the GameCube version. Spawn was in the Xbox version. In the era of DLC and GameStop codes this could be the norm and the way people decide which one they want to get.

Speaking of which wasn't the Cube version the best selling version of the game as well?

Though some exclusives would help but Nintendo might have to fund those and be ready to put out a lot of money.

Mrbob

Let me tell you this. It will not be a step forward like the transition from PSOne to PS2, but it blows the current competition out of the water with it's chosen chipset. At the moment there isn't a console on the market that could run Crysis like the PC does. I'm sure that Crysis will run on Nintendo's new baby without any diffculties. But like the 3DS and it's 3D, that raw power only counts if you leave it's main feature off."

So its raw power will never be tapped then? Not sure why anybody wouldn't want to use its main feature?

But now it makes me wonder what the main feature is which is using up a lot of power.

Raide

Mrbob said:
It wouldn't be exclusive. Look at the rumored goal of the Super Wii: to make it easy to port Xbox 360 games. Thus GTA5 would be on PS3/360 but the Super Wii version would be a better version of the 360 game.

There is always the potential risk that most people with either the 360 or PS3 just don't care about a better version of game they can already buy on a platform they own.

Going by GTA 4, Rockstar did not make use of the extra PC power available, so if anything, the Uber Wii version will pretty much be a straight port of the PS3/360 versions. Great for the Nintendo faithful who want to see a GTA game on a new Nintendo console but that does not seem like a big enough reason to jump ship. That is unless the Uber Wii is vastly better than the PS3/360, then they won't be able to port efficiently.

Effect said:
I don't think that's how people should be looking at it. Nintendo IPs will get people to buy a Wii 2. Once they have the system they will decide which version of a 3rd party game they want. Sometimes people simply flip a coin if they are multiple console owner. Sometimes it can be a Soul Calibur 2 situation. With that the various verisons had extra characters to help people decide which version they wanted. Heihachi Mishima from Tekken appeared in the PlayStation 2 version. Link from The Legend of Zelda appeared in the GameCube version. Spawn was in the Xbox version. In the era of DLC and GameStop codes this could be the norm.

It could be an interesting factor but I think DLC could play a major role in which one people pick. It certainly worked well for MS. It is also based around how similar the features are for each console. If Uber Wii still does not make a comparable online experience to PS3/360/PC, then some may just stay where they are, despite a possibly better graphical experience.

Mojojo

antonz said:
yeah the last bit means some games that will be shown are not very far along. Which would probably mean Videos of games like the rumored Debut of Pikmin 3 being a video.
In anger or laughter?

I cannot see Rockstar not making GTA for PS3/360, considering the sales of GTA4 for them. So I cannot see how a multiplaftorm game will get people to jump to the Wii 2

Pikmin 3 in collaboration with Rockstar confirmed at launch!
Set in urban setting, Don Olimar wants to conquer the hood. Cannibal Pikmins and Fly into anus exploding Pikmins are among the new species.

Celine

Sadist said:
Via David Perry, Escapist Magazine
Interesting seems Nintendo chose the same approach adopted for 3DS.
A relative modest system in raw power ( compared to main rivals ) but with a GPU that can do all the "next gen tricks".
Wonder what's the feature comparable to S3D in N6...

Sammy Samusu said:
THE PLOT TICKENS!

GAF is not ready for another 200 pages.
I demand detective-GAF to investigate.

290068-elite3_super.jpg

M74

Sadist said:
Via David Perry, Escapist Magazine
Megatons, new power-sucking feature. Awesome.

But like someone said above, that means we will never see the full raw potential of the console because the feature will almost always be on. Unless turning it off, like turning off the 3D on the 3DS, automatically improves overall performance. But it wouldn't enhance appearance, per se.

antonz

Raide said:
Going by GTA 4, Rockstar did not make use of the extra PC power available, so if anything, the Uber Wii version will pretty much be a straight port of the PS3/360 versions. Great for the Nintendo faithful who want to see a GTA game on a new Nintendo console but that does not seem like a big enough reason to jump ship. That is unless the Uber Wii is vastly better than the PS3/360, then they won't be able to port efficiently.

The strategy is more

Look at this we have a serious machine here that can crap all over the other guys.

By getting the hardcore excited at the idea and rushing out to buy the Wii 2. Sure all these multiplatform games are coming out around launch time. But if you just spent a wad of cash to buy the Wii 2 you are likely gonna want to fill its library with those games stealing sales from the others. Get that kind of base going and people suddenly start to only buy for that new shiny machine

thefro

From The Dust said:
GTA 5 on Nintendo? bullshit. that can't happen. can it?

Remember DMA Design was part of the original "Dream Team" of developers for the N64. It took them forever to make Body Harvest and Nintendo ended up dumping them.

Mrbob said:
So its raw power will never be tapped then? Not sure why anybody wouldn't want to use its main feature?

But now it makes me wonder what the main feature is which is using up a lot of power.
He mentioned the 3DS, so it's up to the player to decide whether the "main feature" is on or off.

Doorman

David Perry said:
Let me tell you this. It will not be a step forward like the transition from PSOne to PS2, but it blows the current competition out of the water with it's chosen chipset. At the moment there isn't a console on the market that could run Crysis like the PC does. I'm sure that Crysis will run on Nintendo's new baby without any diffculties. But like the 3DS and it's 3D, that raw power only counts if you leave it's main feature off.
Hype HYPE HYPE

And also some interesting speculation, particularly with that last little phrase. Does this mean that the Cafe's major "gimmick" is something that can be toggled like the 3-D screen but still allow the game to run as normal? In particular he makes that sound like it's something particularly CPU-intensive...

I wonder if Nintendo's original goal wasn't necessarily to make a really powerful console just to appease power-hungry third parties, but if it's fallen so in love with whatever this control advancement is that they literally require something that powerful to do it at all? Good lord...

Mrbob

Raide said:

I agree the port wasn't the best for GTA4, but brute strength on the PC alone makes this version look significantly better than the console counterparts. You really need a quad core to have any type of decent performance. Hopefully GTA5 is better optimized.

I can't think of one thing that would draw that much power outside of a hologram, but that would probably draw exponentially more power than what the system has(along with putting the price tag in the billions). What else draws that much power that we feasibly have access to today?

Red UFO

I have NO idea what kind of feature that would be on a home console.

Unless it's not a 'tablet' and there's just a screen on the controller, meaning that all processing will have to be done on the console and streamed as video over to the controller.

"If you leave its main feature off" also suggests that could be an option for developers.

For example:

Don't want to stream video to the controller/generate holograms/serve coffee while the game is running? Drop the feature and you get free MSAA/FPS/etc.

Opus Angelorum said:
So GAF, what significant feature (assuming it's not 3D) can be turned off to offer much greater performance?

I presume the screen but then with all the stuff thats leaked, wouldn't he have just said so if it was the screen ?:/

antonz

Opus Angelorum said:
So GAF, what significant feature (assuming it's not 3D) can be turned off to offer much greater performance?
The French are withholding that information from us :(. I say we invade!

Constant Data streaming to another device would certainly eat up processing power.
I mean, the machine has to render two different displays for two different devices.

goomba

Banned
Opus Angelorum said:

Who knows, perhaps the controller interface / camera is CPU intensive like Kinect.?

Mrbob said:

Rendering detailed graphics to extra screens, the same reason as 3DS? Or it could be something more mindblowing, but I couldn't guess.

Effect

From The Dust said:
don't do this too me. please ;_;

"I'm not allowed to say anything, but I'm pretty sure that Nintendo's market dominance will not fade away with their next machine. Of all the speculations and rumors circulating the internet, please forget all the ones telling that the machine is on par with the 360. These are based on the specs sheet Nintendo gave to a selected few developers right after the e3 in 2010. Not the latest development kits.

Let me tell you this. It will not be a step forward like the transition from PSOne to PS2, but it blows the current competition out of the water with it's chosen chipset. At the moment there isn't a console on the market that could run Crysis like the PC does. I'm sure that Crysis will run on Nintendo's new baby without any diffculties. But like the 3DS and it's 3D, that raw power only counts if you leave it's main feature off."

for new page

That right there makes no sense to me.

Mrbob

Opus Angelorum said:

Some sort of cloud computing? I'm starting to think it might have something to do with the 6" LCD screen with the controller. But at the same time I'm trying to figure out why I would want to play anything on such a small screen when I have access to a big screen TV.

6" screen a mini hologram type display? I couldn't see this being the case either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom