• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't wait.
Hope the size of the machine is compact again, Wii is the perfect size. I am guessing it wont be exactly the same if these rumors are true due to heat etc, but it could be diddy still.

Want.

Shalashaska said:
Can someone explain to me (if the details are true) why Nintendo is announcing this soon but with an apparently targeted date of late 2012? Seems rather early to announce a new console and have everyone wait and pretty much kill your current sales for that long.

Most consoles are announced that far in advance. Nintendo wanted to show it early so they could get third-party support and knew it would leak almost immediately afterward because no one can keep a secret so why not announce it if there's already leaks?

BC games in HD will probably sell me the console, personally.

And yes, you guys are right about choice; however, I want that choice to come with the console. I don't want to have to buy another controller because I want motion control.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Serenade said:
What a tease

x0pe34u4l.gif

JetBlackPanda said:
they just dropped the price didn't they? how many more people are going to buy a wii anyways?
The price drop got me thinking maybe I should buy one but with the reports saying the next console will be BC, no point in biting now. Having a price drop announcement and successor announcement (with full BC) but coming late 2012 right around each other doesn't make sense to me. But I'm not a businessman so what do I know. Seems like they've just killed off their next 18 months of sales to anyone who remotely follows the industry.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
MarshMellow96 said:
BC games in HD will probably sell me the console, personally.

And yes, you guys are right about choice; however, I want that choice to come with the console. I don't want to have to buy another controller because I want motion control.

Hopefully they're emulated/re-rendered, not upscaled.

WillyFive

JetBlackPanda said:
they just dropped the price didn't they? how many more people are going to buy a wii anyways?

There are rumors that they might lower the price to $150, but it hasn't happened yet as far as I heard.

MisterHero

jett said:
Only one question remains:

will we say wow?
You will say Ow if you don't say Wow [/threatening tone]

/Reggie

Graphics Horse said:
What are the chances this is simply a tactic to distract people from today's NPD results?
Today is NPD? awesome

but I thought they died

then came back

then died again

dankir

Significantly more powerful than the 360 and PS3? Well I guess seeing that their tech is 4 - 5 years old now.

This just got very interesting.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
lawblob said:
Between developing for Wii2 and 3DS, I'm guessing they won't allocate many more resources to Wii games.

That has already pretty much been established.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
alr1ghtstart said:
Cheering for something to be slightly more powerful than 6 year old consoles. :|

Hopefully they pump it full with a lot of ram.

"SIGNIFICANTELY STRONGER THAN THE PS3."

Just saying.

mysteriousmage09 said:
If the new Nintendo console is indeed significantly more powerful than the PlayStation 3 and 360, then holy shit I want to see Sony and MS's new consoles specs.
Well, depending on what we mean by vague terms like "significantly," I really don't understand the surprise some people are exhibiting. Are some not aware that the 360/PS3 tech isn't impressive anymore? Technology advances quickly.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
I have a feeling this will definitely speed up the release of the next Playstation/xbox, not sure of that's a good or bad thing though, Nintendo are definitely throwing a stone in the pond with this if true.

Zeal

Banned
KennyLinder said:
Can't wait.
Hope the size of the machine is compact again, Wii is the perfect size. I am guessing it wont be exactly the same if these rumors are true due to heat etc, but it could be diddy still.

Want.

sorry, but no. i am ready for a massive nintendo console. seriously.

i want lights blinking everywhere and i want the thing to look mean.

The thing is obviously going to be significantly more powerful than the PS3/360.

I predict:

5770HD > 560Ti video card in terms of performance (comparing to how computers that use this hardware perform).

720p (the baseline) to 1080p

Improved Motion Controls

$250 - $300

Holiday 2012 launch

StuBurns said:
I can't wait for the Nintendo fanboys to go from "I'm glad those games aren't on Wii, Wii games are designed from the ground up with the controller in mind" to "lol PS360 version fail".

This is going to be so awesome.

thefro

Shalashaska said:
The price drop got me thinking maybe I should buy one but with the reports saying the next console will be BC, no point in biting now. Having a price drop announcement and successor announcement (with full BC) but coming late 2012 right around each other doesn't make sense to me. But I'm not a businessman so what do I know.

Wii will go to $100 and still get casual games released for it for another year or two.

Wii 2 gets the ubercore games (and can play the casual games upscaled in HD).

gundamkyoukai said:
If that is this true that's great , that means MS and Sony have to get up off there asses.
We have tech to make systems 4 or 5 times more powerful that current system at 400.
Really? Both Sony and MS will likely launch later and at higher price points, imo they won't have to try very hard to go beyond it. I think it's very likely though that the Wii2 will get decent ports from those newer consoles.

Arnie

If Nintendo can liase with DICE to have an advanced version of Battlefield 3 running at 60fps, a game that will have been out for a whole year at the consoles launch. Then I'll be there day 1.

The key to good games is a powerful system combined with outstanding development tools. Look at the iPhone/iPad and Xbox 360. Programming for the iPhone lets you combine Objective C and C++ so you have to do very little extra work for ports. Programming for the Xbox 360 is very similar to writing for PCs.

DatBreh

Banned
Bottom line is they need to come with a lot of games this time around. The crowd that pushed the Wii into the stratosphere isnt going to be wooed by this new machine if all it offers is better graphics.

If i cant get Skyrim, Batman: AC, Bioshock Infinite, Mass Effect 3, etc..level games out of this thing then i wont bother at launch. IMO PS3 level graphics doesnt do anything to enhance the experiences of games like Galaxy and DKC.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Ok guys, it's time to saving money. No way Microsoft and Sony are going to launch their next consoles later after this console is launched. The next generation is coming, and it's only over the sunrise.

Interfectum

Our sources have said the the console is significantly more powerful than the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, and that Nintendo's intent is to recapture the hardcore market.

fans_war_face5jxo.gif

If true, I'm back on the Nintendo bandwagon.

Barrett2

Considering the 360 chipset was locked in 2004, of course this thing needs to be significantly more powerful.

I'm calling it, Mario Galaxy 3 with Heavy Rain tech!!!

Elios83

I think that the main feature is still going to be a new control system. It's not like going after PS3/360 in terms of hardware in 2012 is such a bulletpoint for a next gen system.

Mindlog

[Nintex] said:
yes yes yes

Frostbite 2.0
Cry Engine 3

Let's get this shit on the road, now be a good boy and announce the Xbox 720 Don, you know you want to you devil.
A Microsoft Wii Motion Plus styled announcement.

devildog820 said:
People love achievements and trophies. Adds replay value and lets people brag. If I'm not mistaken, a PS3 developer only awarded a trophy during natural breaks in order to keep the user in the moment.

Really? I've never heard of anyone who seriously just adored achievements. I was under the assumption people played games for the game itself.

devildog820 said:
DLC isn't a scam. It CAN be implemented like one, though. It's very profitable and not going anywhere.

Mortrialus said:
Second, downloadable content is a scam and blatant rip off in all but a few rare exceptions.

The success of Call of Duty says you are in a minority.

Should I just start listing successful games with single player campaigns and then say "You're wrong" as though that has proven anything as well?

I want RAM bursting out of the console this time, none of this 512Mb shared nonsense.

I remember reading somewhere that the 360 was originally going to have 256Mb of RAM, but Epic Games convinced them otherwise by showing MS a tech demo of the then in development Unreal Engine 3 with and without the extra RAM.

With consoles of any sort dying in Japan, it makes sense to Taylor something to a market where living room consoles are still big business - the West.

Not surprising, really - I've been saying N6 was coming in 2012 for some time now.

I've realised though that I'm much more of a handheld gamer - my lifestyle simply doesn't suit sitting in front of the TV playing games. I'll probably get one eventually, but only when a new Zelda comes out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom