• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii mini console redesign

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're no longer supporting the system. Why?

Nintendo has a long history of releasing smaller versions of it's consoles at the end of life... The only real exception was the gamecube. Sony has a history of that too until the PS3 came around, then it turned releasing slimmer versions into a once every few year deal.

cvxfreak

From a longterm perspective, Nintendo might be interested in selling this model primarily outside of the first world.

Orayn

So a few weeks after launching your new system, you introduce a redesign of your legacy console?

Just like they did with the NES, SNES, and GBA.

But yeah, this isn't a dumb move. Probably involved them driving production costs down even further, and the Wii still has plenty of popular shovelware and long-tail first party software that will continue to sell for years to come.

Sean

Banned
How much smaller can you make before you can't even fit a disc in it? o_O

2010 Mac Mini:

newminiunb6.jpg

and that has higher specs, hard drive, more ports etc so I'm sure Nintendo could make a Wii mini even smaller than this.

Eusis

What is this shit
Honestly, at this point I think he's right, especially if they figured out how to block homebrew; why else bother getting the Wii when you could just get the Wii U now? Of course this seems to be more for casual audiences that just want Wii Sports/Just Dance/Mario rather than for their core audiences, if it's for real ofcourse. Similar situation to the Game Boy Micro come to think of it, scrapping BC seemingly needlessly (although in this case it happened earlier) for a smaller model, though that still had appeal to more serious gamers in that it was EXTREMELY portable.
Is Mario Kart Wii still selling at full price?
Nintendo definitely still has a market for this.
$40 last I checked, but that's still pretty damn high.

I would be surprised if this were true. Nintendo barely remembers the Wii exists; I can't see them expending R&D on making a smaller version of an already small console.

There's two reasons for this: making price reductions easier (I can't imagine a sub-$99 price is out of their reach) or to lower power consumption (the Wii was already in the 12-16 watt range, but lower for untapped markets?).

EDIT: The PS2 Slim was smaller and used less power than the current Wii (10-11 watts compared to Wii's 12-16) but it's still hard to say if Nintendo needs this revision for different countries.

how much smaller could the wii get anyways? lol

Getting this a lot... Put a wii in front of you... there is a lot of room to slim down. First off, if you can get the CPU/GPU to be die shrunk (which Nintendo could if they wanted to put money into such a redesign) they could easily push fanless. No fan would remove a good inch or so from the back. Since you still don't have to worry about GCN ports you can easily thin that part out. Take out the SD reader and replace it with a micro card (or just increase the flash substantially since 512MB probably costs about as much as 2-4GB and then remove the SD card completely... in turn also removing all homebrew and piracy problems they had).

Hell, replace the metal case with plastic to save a few bucks and make it lighter while you're at it.

Anth0ny

Getting this a lot... Put a wii in front of you... there is a lot of room to slim down. First off, if you can get the CPU/GPU to be die shrunk (which Nintendo could if they wanted to put money into such a redesign) they could easily push fanless. No fan would remove a good inch or so from the back. Since you still don't have to worry about GCN ports you can easily thin that part out. Take out the SD reader and replace it with a micro card (or just increase the flash substantially since 512MB probably costs about as much as 2-4GB and then remove the SD card completely... in turn also removing all homebrew and piracy problems they had).

Hell, replace the metal case with plastic to save a few bucks and make it lighter while you're at it.

right

i know it COULD get smaller

pstwo is probably smaller

but is anyone really thinking "you know, the wii is just a little too big for me. OH LOOK A SLIM REDESIGN okay i'll bite now"

goldenpp72

With the support Nintendo is giving the system (none) why bother trying to continue selling them? I guess if people will buy them but.. why? lol.

Hiltz

Is Mario Kart Wii still selling at full price?
Nintendo definitely still has a market for this.

I think it is in most of the big retailers. Pretty crazy.

Nintendo's gotta break the 100 million hardware sales milestone with the Wii. Their so close!

Madao

i just had a bizarre idea for the redesign.

they make it a top loader like the GC and fit all the chips and stuff under the DVD drive.
the GC was pretty small if we remove the extra inches of plastic under it that were for the accesory ports that the Wii lacks. i'm sure the Wii chips at this point can fit in a smaller PCB than what the GC had and there's no controller ports anymore. SD card slot can stay easily next to the clock battery in front.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Pretty dumb if true. They would just cannibalize their own market during the holidays. Wii's aren't hard to find and it would be more beneficial to try to flood the market with their new system, not a system they no longer support.

Pretty dumb if true. They would just cannibalize their own market during the holidays. Wii's aren't hard to find and it would be more beneficial to try to flood the market with their new system, not a system they no longer support.

There's little to no cannibilization between Wii and WiiU.

Right now they cater to different people due to their price point differences.

Seik

Banned
I wonder how small it will be, the Wii was already the smallest in the big 3, even the PS360 slims aren't beating it.

Hiltz

Last November, Wii sales were at 860k.However, 500k units were from Black Friday alone. Of course, the release of Skyward Sword helped as well. Wii received a price cut in October this year so we'll see how well that has done to boost its sales for November. Total Wii hardware sales were last reported on October at 97.18 million.

Err... which part of their market would they be cannibalizing again? Wii and Wii U are targetting 2 different markets (early next gen adopters versus late last gen adopters) and Wii hardware sales are in a hard slump it won't likely get out of on it's own.

A slim model can reinvigorate Wii sales for one last season, price it at $99 and you can get a lot of people who've been holding out all gen. While they get it, they'll undoubtedly grab a game or two and that alone would be enough to profit on the redesign.

0399631295330486.JPG

3rd pillar c'mon

*pat pat* That battle is over and we lost that one. Though we got DS/3DS lines so I can't be too sore about it.

Nintendo isn't going to release another portable/semi-portable till they are ready to replace the 3DS/Wii U... They are going to have a hard enough time differentiating them when their next generations happen.

Mariolee

2010 Mac Mini:

newminiunb6.jpg

and that has higher specs, hard drive, more ports etc so I'm sure Nintendo could make a Wii mini even smaller than this.

If the Wii Micro is anything like this, Nintendo may be able to sell some more units yet. Still saw people last night buying those black Wiis.

DonMigs85

If they go with a top loader they can bring back Gamecube compatibility for a very low cost.

This is Nintendo we're talking about. They took out the component output on later GameCubes and that probably saved them 50 cents at most. What makes you think they'll add the GameCube controller and memory card slots back?

Zek

Contempt For Challenge
What the... That's in two weeks. And immediately after the launch of the Wii U, a console which has a history of being confused with the Wii in various ways. Makes zero sense even as dumb rumors go.

Orayn

What the... That's in two weeks. And immediately after the launch of the Wii U, a console which has a history of being confused with the Wii in various ways. Makes zero sense even as dumb rumors go.

If anything, this would probably have a dramatically different case design to distinguish it from the Wii U. And again, Nintendo has exactly the same thing in the past with the updated NES, SNES slim, and GBA Micro.

cvxfreak

It wasn't the drive that made them take out GCN BC, it was costs associated with the ports and the reduced availability of controllers/memory cards.

Nintendo really should have figured out how to make GC games work with the Classic Controller and internal memory long ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom