• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii mini console redesign

Status
Not open for further replies.

deleted

Perhaps they try something Sony was very successfully with as of recent.
Reduce the production cost of the Wii to a minimum and launch it in regions that didn't have it until now. I don't have a source right now, but didn't the PS2 launch in Brazil and other nations in 2007? Sony sold many millions in these regions and I can see Nintendo getting in on that.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
I could see Nintendo doing like Sony did with the PS2; shrink it, sell it for cheap and expand markets. Nintendo gets to continue making money off of ancient hardware, plus it makes for good eye candy in financial reports to have sold 1.2trillion Wiis lifetime.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I think a new, more compact, maybe fanless, and much cheaper redesign would be a smart thing to do especially when it comes to emerging markets and console owners which never experienced the Wii and have no intention of picking up a Wii U now. $99 vs $299 would be quite a big difference.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Provided I can get it for cheap I might pick one up just to play Mario Galaxy 1 and 2, and maybe Donkey Kong.

I could see Nintendo doing like Sony did with the PS2; shrink it, sell it for cheap and expand markets. Nintendo gets to continue making money off of ancient hardware, plus it makes for good eye candy in financial reports to have sold 1.2trillion Wiis lifetime.

They're already doing that with the Wii U *runs*

robjoh

I think a new, more compact, maybe fanless, and much cheaper redesign would be a smart thing to do especially when it comes to emerging markets and console owners which never experienced the Wii and have no intention of picking up a Wii U now. $99 vs $299 would be quite a big difference.

I would probarbly go for one to play NSMB Wii, and some other games I want to have.

My idea was to buy a Wii U but I think it is to expensive for the moment when I look at the time I have to play these days.

I'd buy one if it's cheap and blue enough.

I hate that Nintendo hasn't done various colors for its consoles since the days of the N64 and Gamecube. I mean, c'mon! Stop teasing us with so many colors for your Wiimotes and Wii's if we end up with only two color options...

NeoRausch

i guess it's going to look rather different then the old models and nintendo will stop producing the old ones.

so every idiot will see the diffrence between Wii and WiiU.
slap a yellow sticker on it: "not compatible with WiiU games and peripheral, yerk!
no ac adapter included!

watch all old wiis dissapear over night.

The Gameboy Micro didn't work.

Unless they can really make this thing TINY; which will mean no disc drive.
Unless...its the size of a small disc drive.

In which case it would be nice to sit beside my PC or something I suppose.

EDIT: Also OP makes a good point on the youtube thing...maybe this will come with an updated OS that runs the other TV services?
E.g. EXACTLY what MS is doing with the 720/second SKU supposedly next year.

if they would want to continue with their trend of releasing confusing new consoles they would release a new (Wii U) Gamepad BUT it would be a standalone portable Wii and not be compatible with the Wii U ;) - the all new Wii mini

Why would they do that if they aren't even supporting the thing with their own games anymore?
So cheaper people can buy the games that continue to sell well after years.
Zek said:
What the... That's in two weeks. And immediately after the launch of the Wii U, a console which has a history of being confused with the Wii in various ways. Makes zero sense even as dumb rumors go.
Yeah, at the very least the date seems bonkers. I think the only time Nintendo had anything like a stealth launch was when the backlit GBASP released around the time of GB Micro.
MasterSheen said:
How much smaller could they make it? o_O
The Wii's been out 6 years, and it's a giant compared to what they managed to redesign the PS2 into after 4.5 years.

Boerseun

Banned
I'd like to see a Wii the size of OUYA with an affordably-priced external DVD drive accessory. Put 8GB of flash in there for WiiWare and Virtual Console software, put every Nintendo-published disc-based title on the former, sell for $79 or something similar, and I'd bet the thing would do huge numbers. Why not? I know I'd want one.

I'd prefer something like the Apple DVD drive, but I wonder if they will go with a top loader. Sony has shown that it saves space and reduces costs in a big way. Not to mention it would help distinguish it from the Wii U cosmetically.

Manp

They're already doing that with the Wii U *runs*
oh snap!
KuGsj.gif

I don't know, I'm not a fan of surprises from Japan that hit on December 7th.

image.php

I will buy a mini wii for $50

me too

i have seen and bought lots of wii games at thrift stores and yard sales so i stocked up on some but they are pretty scratched up and i can't put them in my new wii u :p

i am paranoid that they would mess the laser up or something, and yup i am that stupid B^)

do it Nintendo, give me dat wii mini.

Wait, is that actually supposed to be to scale? I didn't know the Ouya would be that tiny, I always pictured it GC size.

Yeah, it's tiny, about the size of a Rubix Cube. Here's its motherboard:
Coke_ouya-350x286.png

So I'm thinking, maybe Nintendo lowered the Wii price to $130, they then heard about the Ouya's $99 price and saw how small it was, and said to themselves "We can beat that!".

Harlock

They can make with HDMI and HD output, for Netflix and other video services. But not upscaling the old games, of course!

Haunted

Yeah, it's tiny, about the size of a Rubix Cube. Here's its motherboard:
http://www.ouya.tv/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Coke_ouya-350x286.png

So I'm thinking, maybe Nintendo lowered the Wii price to $130, they then heard about the Ouya's $99 price and saw how small it was, and said to themselves "We can beat that!".
I've even seen that mobo picture before, I just didn't make the connection that the whole package would be that small. That's crazy. Now I kinda want one. :lol

The Wii-U is drawing 33w while running NSMBU.

Imagine a mini wii
It probably adds some wattage to your power outlets.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
I've even seen that mobo picture before, I just didn't make the connexion that the whole package would be that small. That's crazy. Now I kinda want one. :lol

It's an android phone without the battery. Not that impressive.

kinggroin

Banned
I've even seen that mobo picture before, I just didn't make the connection that the whole package would be that small. That's crazy. Now I kinda want one. :lol

Heh

As for the Ouya, no optical drive doesn't make it quite as impressive, considering how small our phones can be.

This might seem like an insane question, but I'm a ps3 owner and haven't been following Wii: current wiis no longer have GameCube compatibility?

MYE

This might seem like an insane question, but I'm a ps3 owner and haven't been following Wii: current wiis no longer have GameCube compatibility?

The ones with the horizontal logo and that dont come with the vertical stand dont.
They still sell both versions in my country though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom