• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii mini console redesign

Status
Not open for further replies.
What the... That's in two weeks. And immediately after the launch of the Wii U, a console which has a history of being confused with the Wii in various ways. Makes zero sense even as dumb rumors go.

Exactly... history, that's precisely why this rumor has validity. Leave it to Nintendo to be able to find a way to muddy their marketing waters even more :)

DonMigs85

Nintendo really should have figured out how to make GC games work with the Classic Controller and internal memory long ago.

I think it was pretty much impossible. In GameCube mode the Wii becomes exactly like the old hardware and can't make use of any of the Wii-specific components.

I think it was pretty much impossible. In GameCube mode the Wii becomes exactly like the old hardware and can't make use of any of the Wii-specific components.

Nintendo could have put more work into BC so that GC games could have run with some Wii enhancements (including using Wii controllers).

Instead they left that up to homebrew developers (see Devolution which literally is just GCN games running in Wii mode, they are in the process of writing drivers to use Wii motes/classic controllers).

Hell, even DIOS MIOS (which runs in a slightly modified GCN mode) allows for Gamecube memory card emulation (fake memory cards saved to SD). Though the authors of DIOS MIOS made it clear they couldn't write wiimote/addon drivers in their implementation since there isn't enough ram in GCN mode.

Kusagari

I don't understand why anyone would give enough of a shit to make this worth even bothering with.

Apple's focus makes sense since everything they minimize is stuff people carry.

shira

*pat pat* That battle is over and we lost that one. Though we got DS/3DS lines so I can't be too sore about it.

Nintendo isn't going to release another portable/semi-portable till they are ready to replace the 3DS/Wii U... They are going to have a hard enough time differentiating them when their next generations happen.

the power of the wii in the palm of my hand. . .

FreeMufasa

Ppl gonna think Wii is next gen and WiiU is Wii :lol. Coz WiiU looks so much like old Wii and this one will look different hopefilly

NES - 1983 JP / 1985 US

SNES - 1990 JP / 1991 US

NES-101 (Redesign of the NES while the SNES was already out) - 1993

N64 - 1996 JP / 1996 US

SNS-101 / Super Famicom Jr. (Redesign of the SNES while the N64 was already out) - 1998 JP / 1997 US

|
|
|

Wii - 2006 JP / 2006 US

Wii U - 2012 JP / 2012 US

Wii Redesign (Redesign of the Wii while the Wii U was already out) - 2013

I REALLY don't see what the big deal is, here. Nintendo redesigned both the NES and the SNES when their successor was already out. The Wii was more successful than the NES and the SNES sales-wise, so it's only natural it would receive a legitimate redesign as well.

I REALLY don't see what the big deal is, here. Nintendo redesigned both the NES and the SNES when their successor was already out. The Wii was more successful than the NES and the SNES, so it's only natural it would receive a legitimate redesign as well.

Not to mention that Nintendo generally designs their hardware with a lifespan of 5-8 years in mind... a lot of first gen Wii owners may soon be looking into getting new ones and if they can make this supposed redesign profitable day one, it may be enough to convince those that want a new Wii but aren't ready to shell out $300 for the Wii U.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Never owned a wii so I'd be willing to pick this up over a wiiU to play the 6 or 7 games I'm interested in

Now to hope the price is right

Agent X

Why would they do that if they aren't even supporting the thing with their own games anymore?

It would make a great budget system. Even if Nintendo doesn't produce any new games, there are still hundreds of existing titles out in the wild, from Nintendo as well as third-party developers.

The PS2 has served this niche nicely in recent years, but it has largely disappeared from most major US retailers over the last few months. A redesigned Wii would be perfectly poised to take over this segment of the market.

It would make a great budget system. Even if Nintendo doesn't produce any new games, there are still hundreds of existing titles out in the wild, from Nintendo as well as third-party developers.

The PS2 has served this niche nicely in recent years, but it has largely disappeared from most major US retailers over the last few months. A redesigned Wii would be perfectly poised to take over this segment of the market.

Exactly. People don't realize there's a serious market for super budget consoles. The Wii's in the perfect spot to stay on shelves for another 3-4 years.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
Hey guys the video game business is actually about making money and not pleasing nerds with "support"

Tagg9

No way Nintendo announces or releases this in the next 3 months. It would steal the Wii U's thunder and confuse the public more than ever.

Takao

Banned
Makes sense. Give it a price point under $75, put more Wii games on clearance - it's just Nintendo doing the Sony & PS2 thing.

Except PS2 was still a very desirable platform even after its successor launched. Wii sales have dropped considerably. Nintendo also lacks the global distribution channels that Sony has.

NES - 1983 JP / 1985 US

SNES - 1990 JP / 1991 US

NES-101 (Redesign of the NES while the SNES was already out) - 1993

N64 - 1996 JP / 1996 US

SNS-101 / Super Famicom Jr. (Redesign of the SNES while the N64 was already out) - 1998 JP / 1997 US

|
|
|

Wii - 2006 JP / 2006 US

Wii U - 2012 JP / 2012 US

Wii Redesign (Redesign of the Wii while the Wii U was already out) - 2013

I REALLY don't see what the big deal is, here. Nintendo redesigned both the NES and the SNES when their successor was already out. The Wii was more successful than the NES and the SNES sales-wise, so it's only natural it would receive a legitimate redesign as well.

There was a Wii "redesign" last year. It removed Gamecube compatibility and instead of putting the console on a stand it just lays down.

0399631295330486.JPG

3rd pillar c'mon

Is that a Ben Heck?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
This is Nintendo's way of distinguishing the Wii and Wii U to new buyers after the Wii U has come out because they fucked up and made them look too similar in the first place.

Pachinko

Wii Miini and Wii U, 2 different products for the future of nintendo. They can make a regular old wii for peanuts these days and sell the thing en masse for maybe 49.99 , if they can build it for 30 dollars or so , it's basically free money.

This way they can differentiate at retail as well. Use a micro laptop sized dvd drive stacked on top of a tiny motherboard with a cellphone sized wifi/blue tooth antenna , have it run on so little power that it only needs an old school AC adaptor like a snes instead of a small power brick and include only a single SD card slot. OH yeah, and use the cheapest plastics that can be bought to make the case.

I think it could be worth it to milk another 2 years of sales out of the old brand while people transition to the new one. Also could lead to better sales in emerging markets.

Pikma

Banned
Bad bad timing, I don't think it would be wise to release a redesign right now, I would go for a solid Wii U's userbase establishment first, but bleh this is Nintendo, they don't give a crap about this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom