• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Xbox successor codename is "Ten". Expected release Holiday 2012.

Petrichor

Even if it's true that the Halo franchise is on a downward trajectory (which doesn't seem likely from the Halo: Reach sales figures), it's still the biggest first party franchise there is in the US.

If they've been planning all along to have Halo 4 on the next console, no wonder we've hardly heard about it.

Petrichor said:
Even if it's true that the Halo franchise is on a downward trajectory (which doesn't seem likely from the Halo: Reach sales figures), it's still the biggest first party franchise there is in the US.
npdsalesd0ups.png

Hmm

If you include the numbers of NSMB Wii that this chart didn't track, and include the DS game making it a franchise, then presumably that is bigger, no?

Evoga

Just time it to launch with a new COD and get the moneybags out and make it Xbox only for the 1st month to boost sales of the hardware.

guek

Banned
Petrichor said:

Mario Kart says Hi!! As does NSMB:Wii and Wii Sports.

Petrichor

ShockingAlberto said:
npdsalesd0ups.png

Hmm

If you include the numbers of NSMB Wii that this chart didn't track, and include the DS game making it a franchise, then presumably that is bigger, no?

Perhaps I should have been clearer, thought it would be a given I wasn't including Mario in that statement....

I meant out of all Sony + Microsoft first party franchises.

[Nintex]

Like I said earlier, Halo the Movie, Halo 4, Xbox Ten.

If Nintendo is really after the hardcore they should hire a new president for NoA with a plan that goes beyond: "Not buying our system? What's wrong with you?"

guek

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:
http://www.abload.de/img/npdsalesd0ups.png[IMG]

Hmm

If you include the numbers of NSMB Wii that this chart didn't track, and include the DS game making it a franchise, then presumably that is bigger, no?[/QUOTE]

NSMBWii: 21.94 million copies worldwide
Wii Sports Resort: 27.68 million copies
Mario Karti Wii: 28 million copies sold worldwide

Halo Reach: I think it's around 9 mil? Not sure if that's just NA or worldwide though

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
[Nintex] said:

If Nintendo is really after the hardcore they should hire a new president for NoA with a plan that goes beyond: "Not buying our system? What's wrong with you?"
They need to bring back the red logo first.

guek

Banned
[Nintex] said:

I wonder if video games have to go through the same "shitty movie" phase that comic books did before their screen adaptations begin to get any good.

Man I'd kill for a good metroid movie. Kill. Spill the blood of the innocent. Just tell me who to cut. Is the halo movie actually on track now to being made?

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
Would love that to be true... but I really doubt it. I'll be happy getting a Wii U next year if Nintendo has some great, original titles ready for it and then the next-Xbox year after that. I skipped the Wii and I am doubtful the Wii-U will be a huge success unless they beef up the specs. Though with Microsoft 1st party being a bit lacking outside of Halo and Gears (one can hope for Samaritan at launch... but unlikely) I hope Sony is not far behind.

At this stage, can we really even call a true winner for this generation? Wii burnt brightly but fairly shortly and with very limited 3rd party success. Xbox360 launched early and the PS3 is catching up (WorldWide) and has a strong chance of ending ahead of the 360. Makes me want to dig through all the threads and quote all the people's short-sighted "factual" comments.

Wasn't DQX going to Wii a sign that the PS3 was a total failure at one point? I remember a huge thread and a lot of people saying that... Look at it now... Expectations aren't very high but could of course be exceeded.

mclem

thirty said:
This is sounding more like a hardware revision ala pstwo or psone than anything else. Tiny form factor, revised silicon all on one chip. Not some upgraded hardware, kinect bundled and all for 129. Enough to kill both Wii and ps3 for the rest of this gen and it'll sell enough to create profit to help offset losses from launching the new box.

Haven't they already done much of that with the Slim?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Ten = number of digits on your hands = high fidelity finger mo-cap with some tactile feedback thingy attached to your fingers.

...stop looking at me like that :(

Grampasso

Holyday 2012? I hope they don't make the same mistake they did with X360 (release an unfinished hardware which is greatly flawed at start) just to prevent the WiiU headstart

mrklaw

MrArseFace
alphaNoid said:
And what does next-gen quantify? Better graphics? What about if MS unifies a true platform between Win8, Windows Phones and Xbox? There is a massive opportunity for MS to unveil some kind of additional features that have nothing to do with anything a current high end PC can do. They quite honestly have the ability to do something that none of their competitors can do .. its very exciting.

Microsoft is a software giant, and they are going to flex their muscles with this next Xbox/Windows 8. I have a powerful gaming PC, but following closely how the entire tech industry is moving..I am pretty confident that MS is likely going to show off the next Xbox by showcasing some kind of new feature that isn't better graphics. They have to prove to people that the next Xbox is worth paying for, and more pixels isn't enough in 2011. We (as consumers) get new phones every few months that blow away the previous model. Consumers are hungry for tech advancement are we are not as easily impressed as we were just 5 short years ago. More pixels, more FPS, more AA ... that isn't enough. Its going to some kind of software integration, platform integration and features that are going to take center stage at the beginning of this next gen.

The days of graphics quantifying a new generation are over.

Yeah, I hear that all the time in game shops. "We don't want better graphics, we want an integrated software platform"

:/

McHuj

I've been thinking some more about this rumor and the CES 2012 announcement to me doesn't make much sense (yes, I know the original xbox was announced at CES), unless it's a new hardware revision.

AppleTV-like to me implies that it's focused on content delivery so here's a theory there will be a new hardware revision with a 32nm die shrink, 8GB of internal flash (hard drive slot still), no optical drive, 1 USB port, HDMI only.

With the shrink and no optical drive, power dissipation could drop by 50% or so allowing for a much smaller form factor.

For this to work, MS would have to deliver all of it games digitally, but that's not in the realm of impossibility.

So now you have a sub $200 (maybe even 150) AppleTV/Roku competitor, but instead of just Angry Birds, you can play all your Xbox games on it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Proelite said:
If they go launch next year, they can't do better than 28nm. In 2013 they still can't do better than 28nm. So launching next year makes sense from a technical perspective.

They would have to make do with a 7850 Variant that draws less than 90 watts and have a ~2.5 teraflops of computing power.

They can go with a 28nm power7 OOO variant with four cores clocked at 2.0 ghz.

4GB GDDR5 ram.

64 mb Edram.

Shouldn't cost them more than $299 to manufature.

or go higher in heat/cost, planning to cost engineer on a 22nm process as soon as possible.

Shtof

Grampasso said:
Holyday 2012? I hope they don't make the same mistake they did with X360 (release an unfinished hardware which is greatly flawed at start) just to prevent the WiiU headstart
I don't see why Sony and MS would be afraid of Nintendo getting a headstart. After all, Wii U hype is non-existant and Nintendo messed up the naming again, just like with 3DS, confusing customers. I really don't understand why Nintendo just won't call it Wii 2 to clearly indicate that it's a Wii sequel. Also, unlike Wii, Wii U actually does nothing new technology wise.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Vinci said:
Anyone considering any of the three console manufacturers fucked by this news is kidding themselves. Whole damn thing is up for grabs once a new gen starts. I would prefer to be in MS or Nintendo's shoes at the moment, however. Sony needs to release something brilliant.

Summary: Nintendo is not fucked. MS is not fucked. Sony is not fucked, though they're in a slightly disadvantaged position.

Let the games begin.

this.

As for Sony not being able to release because they need to make some money off PS3. Of course they can. They can continue to sell the PS3 and just decide to cut short this generation. Like MS did with Xbox - 360

Shtof

McHuj said:
I've been thinking some more about this rumor and the CES 2012 announcement to me doesn't make much sense (yes, I know the original xbox was announced at CES), unless it's a new hardware revision.

AppleTV-like to me implies that it's focused on content delivery so here's a theory there will be a new hardware revision with a 32nm die shrink, 8GB of internal flash (hard drive slot still), no optical drive, 1 USB port, HDMI only.

With the shrink and no optical drive, power dissipation could drop by 50% or so allowing for a much smaller form factor.

For this to work, MS would have to deliver all of it games digitally, but that's not in the realm of impossibility.

So now you have a sub $200 (maybe even 150) AppleTV/Roku competitor, but instead of just Angry Birds, you can play all your Xbox games on it.
This actually makes some sense. But they'll have to keep selling the 360 S or retailers won't want to sell the new box at all.

guek

Banned
Shtof said:
I don't see why Sony and MS would be afraid of Nintendo getting a headstart. After all, Wii U hype is non-existant and Nintendo messed up the naming again, just like with 3DS, confusing customers. I really don't understand why Nintendo just won't call it Wii 2 to clearly indicate that it's a Wii sequel. Also, unlike Wii, Wii U actually does nothing new technology wise.

Sony and MS should and probably are concerned if only because they know nintendo is a direct competitor. It's easy to discount them for past mistakes or look towards precedent, but the reality is they're legitimately a huge threat and it'd be foolish of them not to consider them as such.

Also, the Wii U offers plenty of new ideas, though I agree that it wont be as dramatic as the wiimote.

McHuj

Shtof said:
This actually makes some sense. But they'll have to keep selling the 360 S or retailers won't want to sell the new box at all.

Absolutely. It would be more of an AppleTV competitor and aimed at a slightly different market.

Perhaps it could eliminate the 4GB SKU, but not definitely not the higher end ones.

Shtof

guek said:
Sony and MS should and probably are concerned if only because they know nintendo is a direct competitor. It's easy to discount them for past mistakes or look towards precedent, but the reality is they're legitimately a huge threat and it'd be foolish of them not to consider them as such.

Also, the Wii U offers plenty of new ideas, though I agree that it wont be as dramatic as the wiimote.
Well, obviously that depends on which crowd the console companies want to cater to. I'm guessing all of them will try to have a little of everything.

And I agree about the new ideas, but there's not much that can't be done on smartphones or tablets, at least in a casual sense. And let's face it, Wii is mostly recognized as a casual console, and so will probably Wii U too because of the similar naming.

Biggzy

McHuj said:

Hmmm would sort of make sense, but the rumours about this console having ARM processors would make the play all your Xbox games on it invalid, as it would require complete overhaul of all the games to run on the processors.

McHuj said:

So, the PSP Go of the home console world?

McHuj said:

Could be possible. Maybe they could give the base of Kinect a larger base and cram the whole console into there.

[Nintex]

Krev said:
If this were true, we would know by now.
It seems like all the 'journalists' are ignoring this while every other fart is copy pasted everywhere a dozen times. Take that as you will ;)

venne

Why do people consider 2012 too soon? The 360 will be seven years old at that time.

Has any console waited that long for a successor (besides those exiting the business, e.g. Breakfast)?

edit: famicom to super famicom was a bit over seven years, NES to Super NES was six

McHuj

Monty Mole said:
So, the PSP Go of the home console world?

Not necessarily. Microsoft needs a device like AppleTV, but not just for content. But as the link between TV, their phones, and future tablet devices with features like iOS 5 Airplay mirroring.

They can leverage their tech and vast software library by reusing the tech in the Xbox for this device. You couldn't just think of this as a console.

venne said:
Why do people consider 2012 too soon? The 360 will be seven years old at that time.

Has any console waited that long for a successor (besides those exiting the business, e.g. Breakfast)?

Because beginning the next gen race next year would be crazy. Some teams have only released one game so far (some hasn't even launched their first current gen game yet). Plus the current climate of sales and development budgets is not pointing towards new hardware being a good decision right now.

The only way it could happen is if Microsoft is desperate to counter the Wii U and launch earlier then planned, which would result in another 360 launch situation.

I hope it doesn't come out, I can't afford it yet. I also hope they stop making new cars, HDTVs, and close down some fancier restaurants that I can't afford to go to.

Seriously, if you can't afford it or aren't in the position to get one, don't buy it. It's probably even better to wait a year because all the launch games will be cheap as hell and their probably has been some manufacturing improvements.

I'll never understand the "I hope not because I can't afford it" arguments. Being able to buy something further into the lifespan is almost always a better option when it comes to gaming consoles, and almost any electronics purchase in general.

venne

Vinterbird said:
Because beginning the next gen race next year would be crazy. Some teams have only released one game so far (some hasn't even launched their first current gen game yet). Plus the current climate of sales and development budgets is not pointing towards new hardware being a good decision right now.

The only way it could happen is if Microsoft is desperate to counter the Wii U and launch earlier then planned, which would result in another 360 launch situation.
You really think they planned to stick with the 360 for over seven years? Not a chance in the world. I'd say the opposite is true, Microsoft has been able to delay their next gen because of the 360's success. Recall that the Xbox was on the market for four years before the 360 hit.

People have been complaining about he lack of 360 first party offerings. I wouldn't be shocked if they're preparing for the next gen instead of this one. First party tends to carry the launch with 3rd party support coming later.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Vinterbird said:

Why the new XBOX will be 100% backward compatible. They have been planning this for over 7 years. I could be almost the 306 on steroids with spec upgrades across the board and sell for less than people think. $299.99 is the new magic price for a new console especially in this economy.

As for the next console I honestly feel this will be the best one yet. Microsoft has learned alot and gotten better. The new XBOX will be the #1 system next gen Im sure.

venne said:
You really think they planned to stick with the 360 for over seven years? Not a chance in the world. I'd say the opposite is true, Microsoft has been able to delay their next gen because of the 360's success. Recall that the Xbox was on the market for four years before the 360 hit.

People have been complaining about he lack of 360 first party offerings. I wouldn't be shocked if they're preparing for the next gen instead of this one. First party tends to carry the launch with 3rd party support coming later.

We can definitely agree that most of the first party studios are being moved to the next hardware platform.

But I think the Wii changed a lot of the strategy and future plans for both MS and Sony. There's no need for either company to rush to market with a powerhouse console, which I would guess has changed up how they are going to do it.

Kinect was their stop-gab solution for next generation, and they were seeing if it worked and what they could learn from it and bring to the next platform.

Of course the Wii U could be forcing MS to announce and launch next year, but I would personally be incredibly surprised.

MDX

So...

Xbox X

But what will be its selling point?
Kinect?

What games could move the system?
It will be the battle of, who has the best first party or exclusive titles.

And if its priced similar to the WiiU, does this mean MS is eating into its profits again?
Or will the WiiU and X be similarly specced?

venne

Vinterbird said:
We can definitely agree that most of the first party studios are being moved to the next hardware platform.

But I think the Wii changed a lot of the strategy and future plans for both MS and Sony. There's no need for either company to rush to market with a powerhouse console, which I would guess has changed up how they are going to do it.

Kinect was their stop-gab solution for next generation, and they were seeing if it worked and what they could learn from it and bring to the next platform.

Of course the Wii U could be forcing MS to announce and launch next year, but I would personally be incredibly surprised.
If the successor launches next year, Kinect bought them two years. That's probably as good as can be expected.

I can't see 360 sales increasing YOY in 2012, let alone into 2013. Holiday 2012 is probably the most reasonable time to launch unless Microsoft wants to limp into their launch like Nintendo. If it was my business decision, I'd rather launch while my brand is hot rather than when it's fading.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
Prediction:

2/12 = Xbox 360 "Slim'er" with Kinect built-in is released and price dropped to $199. 4GB arcade dropped to $149. All other SKU's discontinued.

4/12 = First real Xbox Loop details revealed/leaked.

6/12 = Xbox Loop officially announced around E3. Launches 11/21/12 in NA only.

9/12 = 360K dropped to $159, 360A to $129 for holidays.
9/12 = Wii U launches in NA

11/12 = Xbox Loop launches at $349 and $399 with Kinect 2.0 built in. Launch titles include upgraded Halo 4, definitive version of Call of Duty, new Rare Kinect 2.0 games, and all the definitive versions of all the various multiplatform and sports games. Not much else of note. Blu-ray included, 1 controller included, both versions have built-in data storage but relatively small in size (10 gigs and 40 gigs, users have to buy extra space separately).

2/12 = XboxL launches in Europe.

4/12 = XboxL launches in Japan but name re-branded to simply "Loop" or via partnership with another company.

10/13 = Sony launches PS4 worldwide.

x-Lundz-x

Some people have the right thinking in this thread but here is my opinion.

I can't fathom why some of you would call a 2012 release "too soon". Never before have we had a generation of consoles that could transition so easily into a new generation.

Just think about about it:

Xbox X is 100% backwards compatible with all 360 games.
Playing multi player games like MW3 on Xbox X and the 360 does not cause a problem over live. They are 100% compatible.
New Xbox 360 games (Like Halo 4) can run in an "enhanced mode" on the new system. Simple as checking off boxes on the video settings on a PC game.

Too me that seems to be the perfect way to transition into a new system where the old console is not immediately irrelevant. Doing this could keep the 360 around a few more years just like the PS2 while the Xbox X builds up it's user base.

stealth edit

venne

WrikaWrek said:
No way the console is coming out next year.
Please expound.

Xbox to Xbox 360 was FOUR YEARS. Launching in 2012 makes the next transition SEVEN YEARS.

How long can they reasonably expect to milk this gen?

WrikaWrek

Banned
venne said:
Please expound.

Xbox to Xbox 360 was FOUR YEARS. Launching in 2012 makes the next transition SEVEN YEARS.

How long can they reasonably expect to milk this gen?

No studios will have games ready next year.

Top Bottom