• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Xbox successor codename is "Ten". Expected release Holiday 2012.

ShockingAlberto said:
npdsalesd0ups.png

Hmm

If you include the numbers of NSMB Wii that this chart didn't track, and include the DS game making it a franchise, then presumably that is bigger, no?

In that case wouldn't you have to include Halo 3 as well?

Edit: also ODST, Wars, and in a year, 4...

Still not sure if that puts it over some Nintendo franchises in the USA but it's a good question.

venne

WrikaWrek said:
No studios will have games ready next year.
Most launches have something like 20 odd titles, most of which are horrible.

Something tells me EA and Activision would have zero problem crapping out some enhanced ports for a new system.

WrikaWrek said:
No studios will have games ready next year.
343, Lionhead, Rare and Ruffian could have games ready for launch. That plus 3rd party games running DX11 @ 1080p would more than match what the 360 launched with.

monome

It's been said already but no chance in hell for a more powerfull Microsoft plateform next year.

A new Xbox 360 with greater emphasis on its accessibility (price, form factor, kinect), its many uses (apps, TV, games, music) is a sound project but also very costly.
The only reason they would spend cash on it is if it speeds up the the outcome of a mobile/entertainment/business ecosystem where economies of scale can be made and consummers can be shephered, ala Apple but bigger in scale.

it makes sense now! Lionhead still making 360 game on the cheap for kinect whilst the main devs at the company are getting to grips with next gen stuff...Hmmmmm *ponders*

Tawpgun

Blue Ninja said:
Holiday 2012? Not bloody likely if they've got Halo 4 coming out for the 360 then.
This.

You can all calm down. There is no way a new Xbox is coming out sooner than 2013.

royalan

The more I think about this the more 2012 makes total sense.

The jump in tech between 2012 and 2013 will be negligible. The Xbox 360 is still selling decently, which will allow it to go on and still sell respectably even after the new hardware is out (ala PS2), and it puts them ahead of Sony, who will be put in a very disadvantaged position if BOTH the competition goes next gen a year before it. And it'll tie in with all of their Windows 8 stuff AND the next Halo title.

And MS wants to launch before Sony. Launching before them this gen insured a lot 3rd parties made the definitive versions of their multiplatform games for the 360. The PS3 may have eventually caught up but the head start allowed MS a lot of wiggle room the first half of this gen.

2012 could be a brilliant launch if they plan it right.

[Nintex]

open_mouth_ said:
Prediction:
More like

Teaser/viral campaign starts around Xbox 10 year anniversary(VGA's? Halo Anniversary launch?).

Ballmer drops the bomb at CES 2012, new Xbox coming part of the Windows 8 integration plan - another teaser, maybe some specs or the box.

GDC 2012 - more developers announce Xbox Ten support and plans, MS might show first 'in game' footage(Halo 4?/MGS Vancouver game?/Forza World?(rebranded at that point)/Alan Wake 2?).

E3 2012 - full blow out of Xbox Ten games, console, controller, UI and more coming to Europe and the US by the end of 2012, launch window line-up includes enhanced Call of Duty, Assassins Creed III, Need for Speed etc. along with some Microsoft Studios games including Halo 4(cross platform?). (new) IP's on the way from Crytek and Epic.

TGS 2012 - Japan launch announced for spring 2013, Resident Evil 6(Xbox Ten = lead platform) among the titles prepped for launch window.

February 2012 - Xbox 360 Star Wars Kinect Bundle(+ post holiday pricedrop?)
March/April 2012 - Kinect Nat Geo TV / Sesame Street TV
June 2012 - Unannounced Big Park/Rare Kinect title
August 2012 - Ryse
September/November 2012 - Halo 4(360/Ten) + Xbox Ten launch
December 2012 - Fable: the Journey(360/if not cancelled lol)

venne

A27 Tawpgun said:
This.

You can all calm down. There is no way a new Xbox is coming out sooner than 2013.
If only we hadn't witnessed the exact same thing with Twilight Princess, you'd be onto something.

Nothing about Halo 4 precludes a next gen launch.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
[Nintex] said:
More like

Teaser/viral campaign starts around Xbox 10 year anniversary(VGA's? Halo Anniversary launch?).

Ballmer drops the bomb at CES 2012, new Xbox coming part of the Windows 8 integration plan - another teaser, maybe some specs or the box.

GDC 2012 - more developers announce Xbox Ten support and plans, MS might show first 'in game' footage(Halo 4?/MGS Vancouver game?/Forza World?(rebranded at that point)/Alan Wake 2?).

E3 2012 - full blow out of Xbox Ten games, console, controller, UI and more coming to Europe and the US by the end of 2012, launch window line-up includes enhanced Call of Duty, Assassins Creed III, Need for Speed etc. along with some Microsoft Studios games including Halo 4(cross platform?). (new) IP's on the way from Crytek and Epic.

TGS 2012 - Japan launch announced for spring 2013, Resident Evil 6(Xbox Ten = lead platform) among the titles prepped for launch window.

February 2012 - Xbox 360 Star Wars Kinect Bundle(+ post holiday pricedrop?)
March/April 2012 - Kinect Nat Geo TV / Sesame Street TV
June 2012 - Unannounced Big Park/Rare Kinect title
August 2012 - Ryse
September/November 2012 - Halo 4(360/Ten) + Xbox Ten launch
December 2012 - Fable: the Journey(360/if not cancelled lol)

so, yeah, basically what I said ;)

jett

D-Member
gofreak said:
Ten = number of digits on your hands = high fidelity finger mo-cap with some tactile feedback thingy attached to your fingers.

...stop looking at me like that :(

Kinect-Minority-Report-UI-2.jpg

I predict whatever Microsoft will do, Sony will tease the shit out of the PS4 as soon as the Xbox 720 has been revealed, aim for a 2012 holiday release just to push it back to March 2013!

Oh and the Xbox Loop will be a portable device, not the new Xbox ;)

I'd be relatively pleased with this only because it'd pretty much guarantee GTAV would be a spring/early summer release.

But other than my optimism, I think 2013 is the only realistic early date for the new console.

As for the name, the new X-Box should just be called "The X-Box." We don't need to keep coming up with stupid names, people get it.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
venne said:
Please expound.

Xbox to Xbox 360 was FOUR YEARS. Launching in 2012 makes the next transition SEVEN YEARS.

How long can they reasonably expect to milk this gen?
"Ten"

I don't know what to think about whether or not a new system will launch 2012, but I am confident, contrary to what a lot of people are saying in this thread, that MS will not launch a system that will fail like the 360 did.

First, if that happened again, it would ruin them. Second, this tech has been ready for quite some time. They're not "rushing" to get it out for Holiday 2012. They could probably launch it tomorrow. Everyone knows that this current generation has had more legs than anyone anticipated, so MS have held off on the announcement of the next generation. In the meantime, that tech gets cheaper and cheaper to produce in the build up to an actual launch. They're not rushing this one out at all.

The Albatross said:
As for the name, the new X-Box should just be called "The X-Box." We don't need to keep coming up with stupid names, people get it.

Agreed...to a point. Someone is bound to end up buying the old one and not the new one and then "bla bla bla I didn't know bla bla bla consumer issues bla bla bla I'm illiterate." As few and far between as those types of situations are (really, because you ought to know what you're buying unless you're misled at the store), no one wants to deal with them. Ten it is. At least it's not Xbox Infinite. Which sounds like a great name until the next go round.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I honestly have no idea how they are going to justify the purchase of new hardware to the mass market buyer.

The success of Wii shows that large swathes of the public simply doesn't care about graphic resolution and bells and whistles. Objectively the step up from 360 to neXtbox or whatever is going to be less apparent than going from Wii to 360, so I really can't see it being a factor.

2013 at the earliest, because despite their much improved performance this gen MS still aren't in a position to dictate the future to the industry as a whole. Most likely by the end of next year they'll have the smallest global shipment numbers, and technically will be back in third place again - so I think it's doubtful that many publishers will be keen to commit super-hard to their new platform.

Oppo

flyinpiranha said:
I'll never understand the "I hope not because I can't afford it" arguments. Being able to buy something further into the lifespan is almost always a better option when it comes to gaming consoles, and almost any electronics purchase in general.

Kind of betrays a certain mindset, doesn't it.

Reminds me of the close cousin, "game franchises that I dislike, that therefore should be wiped from the Earth and history".

2012 launch would be a really bad idea. Forget what happened in the past, it's no indication of future... etc etc. Things are very different now.

Too early.

Diminishing returns and ever increasing development costs are going to make each new generation longer and longer. We need to make the jump at the right time in the technology curve and it seems that Nintendo's jump into the HD bandwagon is rushing next gen... which is bad IMO.

Who cares if Nintendo releases a new system that is close (?) to PS3/360 in power when is going to be underutilized. This gen has shown that the market can support multiple successful systems at a time.

Wait until 2014-2015.

And no hardware design flaws again MS.

Dreaver

I think the Xbox will be revealed at E3 2012. Releasing early 2013 (first half year). The 360 will have a pricecut to counter the WiiU.

2012 will be the last big hurray for this generation. There are still too many big releases upcoming for 2012 such as GTA 5, halo 4, Bioshock, Diablo 3

I don't think they would release The XboxL in 2012 while Halo 4 is still getting released as a 360 game.

However, I doubt it will release later then early 2013. There are only a few games annouched for 2012. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_games_in_development) There will probably be a few annouched at VGA though.

Edit: I seem to forgot way more, Darksiders 2, New Assassins Creed, CoD.. and probably loads more.

NIghtWolf

Sidewinder said:
I predict whatever Microsoft will do, Sony will tease the shit out of the PS4 as soon as the Xbox 720 has been revealed, aim for a 2012 holiday release just to push it back to March 2013!

Oh and the Xbox Loop will be a portable device, not the new Xbox ;)

A portable device, I don't think MS will do that.

TerryWogan said:
I don't know what to think about whether or not a new system will launch 2012, but I am confident, contrary to what a lot of people are saying in this thread, that MS will not launch a system that will fail like the 360 did.

First, if that happened again, it would ruin them. Second, this tech has been ready for quite some time. They're not "rushing" to get it out for Holiday 2012. They could probably launch it tomorrow. Everyone knows that this current generation has had more legs than anyone anticipated, so MS have held off on the announcement of the next generation. In the meantime, that tech gets cheaper and cheaper to produce in the build up to an actual launch. They're not rushing this one out at all.

Fail in RROD sense u mean right? If that so I believe it depends on what kinda hardware they are putting together there, If they really go out with a less powerful-more profitable-casual a bit approach they surely won't have these problems I guess? Even though I don't think they will do that.

royalan

Clear said:
I honestly have no idea how they are going to justify the purchase of new hardware to the mass market buyer.

The success of Wii shows that large swathes of the public simply doesn't care about graphic resolution and bells and whistles. Objectively the step up from 360 to neXtbox or whatever is going to be less apparent than going from Wii to 360, so I really can't see it being a factor.

2013 at the earliest, because despite their much improved performance this gen MS still aren't in a position to dictate the future to the industry as a whole. Most likely by the end of next year they'll have the smallest global shipment numbers, and technically will be back in third place again - so I think it's doubtful that many publishers will be keen to commit super-hard to their new platform.

That's why you keep selling an even cheaper version of the 360/Kinect.

The first year or two of a new console's launch is about securing your core demographic anyway. MS will be going after gamers first. Heck, even Nintendo is going that route next gen.

Aizu_Itsuko said:
Too early.

Diminishing returns and ever increasing development costs are going to make each new generation longer and longer.

This is a fundamental misconception of game development. Whilst the previous generational leaps up to the current one were huge in terms of development costs, now that we're at "HD" resolutions, most developers are actually creating assets that are far beyond the capabilities of current hardware and downsizing them in order to get them to run. Getting things running at true 1080p and 60FPS (which seems to be the popular demand) on next gen hardware isn't really going to be much of a jump in development costs. Certainly not a jump of the kind seen from last-gen to current-gen.

NIghtWolf said:
Fail in RROD sense u mean right?

Yes! Not "fail" as in "I'm a fanboy, Xbox Faillolololol". :p

venne

Clear said:

You're making a dichotomy out of this when that's not necessarily the case. Just because the next Xbox comes our doesn't mean the old one is forgotten and no longer available.

It wouldn't surprise me if the next Xbox supplements the ecosystem rather than replaces it outright.

web01

Wonder if MS would make the next xbox fully backwards compatable
I can see arguments both for and against.

web01 said:

It absolutely has to be. Especially when you consider the amount of money people have spent on XBLA and Games on Demand. If they don't make it backwards compatible, all of those games are gone as soon as your 360 dies.

TerryWogan said:
This is a fundamental misconception of game development. Whilst the previous generational leaps up to the current one were huge in terms of development costs, now that we're at "HD" resolutions, most developers are actually creating assets that are far beyond the capabilities of current hardware and downsizing them in order to get them to run. Getting things running at true 1080p and 60FPS (which seems to be the popular demand) on next gen hardware isn't really going to be much of a jump in development costs. Certainly not a jump of the kind seen from last-gen to current-gen.

Yes! Not "fail" as in "I'm a fanboy, Xbox Faillolololol". :p
It's not like next gen games will just be ps360 level games rendered in higher res. They are going to increase the graphical fidelity by an order of magnitude, just like they did this gen. That's going to cost money.

Dreaver

Oh maybe slightly off-topic, but I would love loads of Windows 8 intergration.

Having the option to chat/skype with Windows 8 on computers/phones on the Xbox, using your Windows Phone as controller/remote.

I think / guess there is quite some chance such a thing will happen.

web01 said:
If Xbox 3 isn't BC, then how will MS sell all the content on XBL to their new customers? They spent a decade building up the content not just to throw it all away and start from scratch again. The new box will be fully BC, and same goes for PS4.

Dirtbag

They really should go with 'Loop' for the name over 'Ten'. Loop is a great name with good logo/marketing potential.

I also agree with everyone saying that 2012 is unlikely - UNLESS - they switched Halo 4 development over to the next-box, something I don't see them doing for the start of this new trilogy.

royalan

Dreaver said:
Oh maybe slightly off-topic, but I would love loads of Windows 8 intergration.

Having the option to chat/skype with Windows 8 on computers/phones on the Xbox, using your Windows Phone as controller/remote.

I think / guess there is quite some chance such a thing will happen.

It'll be their ace.

Nintendo will have their touch screen controller.

MS will have core-deep Windows 8 integration which, combined with their Live service, allow them to continue absolute dominance of online console gaming.

And Sony will have...something.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
venne said:
You're making a dichotomy out of this when that's not necessarily the case. Just because the next Xbox comes our doesn't mean the old one is forgotten and no longer available.

You still need software support and MS simply don't have enough first-party studios to prop up 2 platforms. One of Sony's problems at the start of this gen was they were horribly overextended trying to push PS2, PSP, and PS3 - as a result the opposition stole a march on them.

The reality is that if the 360's successor isn't sufficiently differentiated from its predecessor its competing against it directly; and that's not a recipe for success UNLESS you have a rapid uptake on the new platform.

The problem every hardware vendor is facing is that the current HD machines are extremely comprehensive feature-wise. There's not a lot you can add, and their back-end infrastructures are mature with a lot of content available so backwards compatibility is a must.

Its a tough thing to market, and even tougher for you to get partners to join in on.

tldr; Slow transition = potential loss of momentum/market share

venne

H_Prestige said:
If Xbox 3 isn't BC, then how will MS sell all the content on XBL to their new customers? They spent a decade building up the content not just to throw it all away and start from scratch again. The new box will be fully BC, and same goes for PS4.
Yes, I think all parties will try to lock in people by supporting past purchases. The iTunes/iOS prison model will be in full effect.

H_Prestige said:
It's not like next gen games will just be ps360 level games rendered in higher res. They are going to increase the graphical fidelity by an order of magnitude, just like they did this gen. That's going to cost money.

I didn't say they were going to be "rendered in higher res". Developers are already creating assets for games that are more than suitable for next gen and beyond. Ultra high polygon models, etc. They won't be "rendering in higher res" - if anything they'll be "scaling their assets down a bit less".

If you re-read what I said - what you quoted - I've already explained this.

venne said:
Please expound.

Xbox to Xbox 360 was FOUR YEARS. Launching in 2012 makes the next transition SEVEN YEARS.

How long can they reasonably expect to milk this gen?

Oh hi, I have made this helpful graph to help show how long they can "Reasonably expect to 'milk' this generation."

Fmsr7.jpg

What do you guys even mean by windows 8 integration? I don't see the big deal, the phrase just sounds cool on paper, like XBL on windows phone 7 (that feature isn't killing iOS and android, hardly anyone gives a shit). Nobody is going to use their gaming system as a computer, and MS sure as hell isn't going to design it for such use in the first place.

Kibbles said:
So Halo 4 is release on 360 when the new xbox is coming out. Riiiight...

This is what makes it hard for me to believe that MS would release a new console in 2013. Well, if they do release something in 2012, we should know at CES next year

venne

Clear said:
You still need software support and MS simply don't have enough first-party studios to prop up 2 platforms. One of Sony's problems at the start of this gen was they were horribly overextended trying to push PS2, PSP, and PS3 - as a result the opposition stole a march on them.

The reality is that if the 360's successor isn't sufficiently differentiated from its predecessor its competing against it directly; and that's not a recipe for success UNLESS you have a rapid uptake on the new platform.

The problem every hardware vendor is facing is that the current HD machines are extremely comprehensive feature-wise. There's not a lot you can add, and their back-end infrastructures are mature with a lot of content available so backwards compatibility is a must.

Its a tough thing to market, and even tougher for you to get partners to join in on.
Your applying the old model to the new model.

It's not about consoles, it's about ecosystems.

Microsoft doesn't care whether someone buys a 360 or whatever else as long as it gets people investing in the Xbox walled garden. The new system is aimed at the performance crowd, the old to the mass market. In a couple years you drop the new system to mass market status and release a new performance model. People maintain all their digital purchased and get chained to the ecosystem. Rinse, repeat.

Top Bottom