• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumored Wii U Specs: Quad-core 3GHz PowerPC-based 45nm CPU, 768MB of DRAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
http://wiiudaily.com/2011/12/wii-u-has-quad-core-3ghz-cpu-768-mb-of-ram/

Nintendo is finally set to release a new, much more powerful console with HD graphics, and many are wondering what kind of technology we might find inside the console, and how it will compare with the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. We’ve heard from developers who have access to the console that the Wii U is “50% more powerful” than the Xbox 360 and PS3. We now know that those estimates of 50% are based on the fact that the Wii U is around 50% more powerful on paper, according to information Wii U Daily obtained from a Japanese developer who is currently working on porting a PS3 game to the Wii U.

According to the source, the Wii U specs are:

Quad Core, 3 GHz PowerPC-based 45nm CPU, very similar to the Xbox 360 chip.
768 MB of DRAM “embedded” with the CPU, and shared between CPU and GPU
Unknown, 40nm ATI-based GPU

The source also mentions that Nintendo has been testing two versions of the console, one with 768 MB of RAM, and one with 1 GB. The RAM is also made by IBM and is embedded with the processor on the same die/silicon, which results in more bandwidth.

These were the specs that Nintendo showed developers around March 2011, so it’s unknown how close to the final specs these are, considering there’s a year until the console is scheduled for release.

When it was unveiled earlier this year, Nintendo confirmed that the Wii U would support 1080p graphics and 3D is possible as well.

thuway

I still remember the Xbox Loop threads where Hard Nintendo fanboys were claiming the Wii U would have 2gb of memory and a 5850 equivalent.

Edit: Decent specs but need more info on GPU.

Emitan

Please have 1GB. Please. 512MB isn't enough anymore and 768MB isn't gonna cut it with whatever Sony and Mcrosoft are doing.

guldakot

There is just no way. Your talking about a chip that would be roughly 5x10 cm with that much edram. i mean theoretically, yeah, i guess. I don't even know what the hell to make of this lol.

GDGF

Soothsayer
That's a lot of embedded ram.

Are they planning on stacking the stuff or something? A ram sammich perhaps?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
embedded on the CPU, but shared between CPU/GPU? Wouldn't the GPU be the one that wanted the fastest access to ram?

and how big would 1GB of ram be anyway? a Quad core processor isn't small, and I don't think you can get 1GB on a single chip can you? Never mind with a good CPU next to it

sounds like bollocks to me

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
These rumours seem pretty easy to make, I think I'll have a go at it sometime. Just arrange some terms, put some numerical values too them, add a dash of bullshit and voila!

KingJ2002

with these rumors swirling... i'm not too concerned... Nintendo Wii had some of the most creative games this gen due to it being under powered... and i'm sure that trend will continue if the Wii U sells well in japan.

I also look at this current gen as a big transitional period for consumers... people ditched their SD sets that they had for decades for HD displays... next gen... that shouldn't be a problem... so i think as long as any of these consoles can deliver 1080p / 60fps graphics natively next gen... these systems will all be fine.

it will just come down to which provides a better gaming experience... online and offline.

Dascu

What exactly does this "embedded DRAM" imply? It's apparently crazy, but what kind of crazy? Too good to be true?

Luckyman

Banned
The power usage of this system is way way less than a SOC based 360 S. 4cm fan on the back. The sooner people come out of denial the easier it will be :)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
768 MB of DRAM “embedded” with the CPU, and shared between CPU and GPU
The only way that would make sense to me is if it was someone not especially familiar with hardware who was actually trying to say unified, judging by the second half of the sentence, with the "embedded" meaning "not VRAM that is sectioned off from the CPU".

The only way that would make sense to me is if it was someone not especially familiar with hardware who was actually trying to say unified, judging by the second half of the sentence, with the "embedded" meaning "not VRAM that is sectioned off from the CPU".

So basically that would be the total amount of ram in the system?

GDGF

Soothsayer
[Nintex];33137898 said:

Oh snap. Ram sammich indeed.

IBM said:
Embedded Memory, Made in IBM Labs, Key to Breakthrough Performance
IBM's embedded DRAM technology provides the most dense on-chip dynamic memory available today, enabling more than 1Gb of memory on a single chip. IBM eDRAM performance has advanced to a point where it can replace conventional on-chip static memory (SRAM) in many applications, taking up 60% less space on the chip, and consuming up to 90% less power.

And rumors have been swirling that this thing has a significant amount of embedded ram since the beginning...

Indyana

The problem with your theory is that they repeat the "embedded" later:

"The RAM is also made by IBM and is embedded with the processor on the same die/silicon, which results in more bandwidth."

You have a quad-core processor but can't be arsh to have a full gig of ram, but can afford in terms of pricing and chip size (AKA FREAKIN' HUGE!) to have 768MB embedded into the CPU?

Either they got a really unique design, or random number ass pullings of grand design is spewing forth brown staining gamers in their collective faces.

Pretty much this.

[Nintex]

Going back to E3:
Armonk, NY, USA - 07 Jun 2011: IBM (NYSE: IBM) today announced that it will provide the microprocessors that will serve as the heart of the new Wii U™ system from Nintendo. Unveiled today at the E3 trade show, Nintendo plans for its new console to hit store shelves in 2012.
The all-new, Power-based microprocessor will pack some of IBM's most advanced technology into an energy-saving silicon package that will power Nintendo's brand new entertainment experience for consumers worldwide. IBM's unique embedded DRAM, for example, is capable of feeding the multi-core processor large chunks of data to make for a smooth entertainment experience.

IBM's state-of-the-art 300mm chip plant in East Fishkill, N.Y., will be the manufacturing facility for the new game chip the company is building for Nintendo's new game console due to hit store shelves in 2012.
IBM plans to produce millions of chips for Nintendo featuring IBM Silicon on Insulator (SOI) technology at 45 nanometers (45 billionths of a meter). The custom-designed chips will be made at IBM's state-of-the-art 300mm semiconductor development and manufacturing facility in East Fishkill, N.Y.
The relationship between IBM and Nintendo dates to May 1999, when IBM was selected to design and manufacture the central microprocessor for the Nintendo GameCube™ system. Since 2006, IBM has shipped more than 90 million chips for Nintendo Wii systems.
"IBM has been a terrific partner for many years. We truly value IBM's commitment to support Nintendo in delivering an entirely new kind of gaming and entertainment experience for consumers around the world," said Genyo Takeda, Senior Managing Director, Integrated Research and Development, at Nintendo Co., Ltd.
"We're very proud to have delivered to Nintendo consistent technology advancements for three generations of entertainment consoles," said Elmer Corbin, director, IBM's custom chip business. "Our relationship with Nintendo underscores our unique position in the industry -- how we work together with clients to help them leverage IBM technology, intellectual property and research to drive innovation into their own core products."
Built on the open, scalable Power Architecture base, IBM custom processors exploit the performance and power advantages of proven silicon-on-insulator (SOI) technology. The inherent advantages of the technology make it a superior choice for performance-driven applications that demand exceptional, power-efficient processing capability – from entertainment consoles to supercomputers.

PunchyBoy

Banned
45nm, Quad Core, 3Ghz, eDram ?
Looks like a POWER7 CPU, and they said "very similar to Xbox 360 chip" ?
ARE THEY FUCKIN KIDDING ?

You know they of misread/heard.
As the Intel stuff Says it has 1Gb of embedded memory which is like 125MB. So it could be 768Mb which would be like 90+MB of eRAM which would make more sense...

Shanadeus

Banned
768MB of eDRAM is massive.

This will be a beast to be reckoned with, nothing Microsoft or Sony can put in their offerings will come anywhere close to this monster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom