• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumored Wii U Specs: Quad-core 3GHz PowerPC-based 45nm CPU, 768MB of DRAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
[Nintex];33138100 said:
Ah yes, you're right. Hmmm still, it could be possible with IBM's technology and research but does it make sense to put in a consumer device?

No, that's why I said it would have to be a confusion on the level of VG247's "The Vita has a 4-core Cell processor" when it had a 4-core ARM processor.

You know they of misread/heard.
As the Intel stuff Says it has 1Gb of embedded memory which is like 125MB. So it could be 768Mb which would be like 90+MB of eRAM which would make more sense...
That is still WAY past most people's expectations, right?

I remember more knowledgeable posters coming to the conclusion that 40MB of that edram would be fantastic.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
So same ram (just taking size into account) that the Vita has and less than most new modern phones come with these days and only 256 more than the current 6 year old consoles we have now?

Oh Nintendo, if this is true I'm going to be a little dissappointed, I wonder if they are cutting back slightly to get more money out of it due to the recent steep decline in Wii sales and the price cut of the 3DS.

guldakot

Yeah were looking at a MONSTROUS cpu with that much edram (both in size and potential output) but a 'refined' budget line gpu from 2008? Nothing about this makes any sense, I have to call BS.

Azure J

Two things:

I still remember the Xbox Loop threads where Hard Nintendo fanboys were claiming the Wii U would have 2gb of memory and a 5850 equivalent.

I need to know who was posting this. :lol

Secondly, as was said in the main thread, good lord this is so far out of the realm of possibility that I don't know which to do now, entertain it for the ultimate "holy shit PANIC MODE NINTENDO" post should it actually be true or flat out deny it because of the impracticality of the notion for current use. Price alone says Nintendo wouldn't do this.

That is still WAY past most people's expectations, right?

I remember more knowledgeable posters coming to the conclusion that 40MB of that edram would be fantastic.

There was already a mention from brain_stew of all people that someone suggested a 32MB EDRAM pool was present, but not embedded and its own unique pool of memory for any/everything.

I think anyone posting 768MB of eRAM after this point should be taken outside and executed in front of their family......(joke of course [/clarkson])

[Nintex]

Two things:

I need to know who was posting this. :lol

Secondly, as was said in the main thread, good lord this is so far out of the realm of possibility that I don't know which to do now, entertain it for the ultimate "holy shit PANIC MODE NINTENDO" post should it actually be true or flat out deny it because of the impracticality of the notion for current use. Price alone says Nintendo wouldn't do this.
Well there's this...
Iwata – who has said he expects the Wii U to be priced at more than 20,000 yen in Japan ($250) – admitted of the console's price: "This is not going to be cheap."

Those specs don't even lineup with the original Project Cafe leaks. And they came out in April.

You know they of misread/heard.
As the Intel stuff Says it has 1Gb of embedded memory which is like 125MB. So it could be 768Mb which would be like 90+MB of eRAM which would make more sense...

Yeah. But that's still way more than what others have been told/have told us. Heck, the POWER7 server chip doesn't even come close to that.

3MB of L2 cache for the CPU and 32MB eMemory for the GPU seems to be what we're looking at.

DarkPanda

The source is dubious; thankfully, because if true this would be massively disappointing. I'm not expecting the WiiU to be equal to the PS4 or XB3, but a 360 with 256MB more ram and a slightly upgraded GPU would be pathetic.

Those specs don't even lineup with the original Project Cafe leaks. And they came out in April.

Yeah. But that's still way more than what others have been told/have told us. Heck, the POWER7 server chip doesn't even come close to that.

3MB of L2 cache for the CPU and 32MB eMemory for the GPU seems to be what we're looking at.

Which is why it could be the 768Mb which would be around 80-90MB. I mean if they want to stream to several uPads, as well as a 1080 picture, they're gonna need a bit more edRam surely?

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
http://wiiudaily.com/2011/12/wii-u-has-quad-core-3ghz-cpu-768-mb-of-ram/
Nintendo is finally set to release a new, much more powerful console with HD graphics, and many are wondering what kind of technology we might find inside the console, and how it will compare with the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. We’ve heard from developers who have access to the console that the Wii U is “50% more powerful” than the Xbox 360 and PS3. We now know that those estimates of 50% are based on the fact that the Wii U is around 50% more powerful on paper, according to information Wii U Daily obtained from a Japanese developer who is currently working on porting a PS3 game to the Wii U.

According to the source, the Wii U specs are:

Quad Core, 3 GHz PowerPC-based 45nm CPU, very similar to the Xbox 360 chip.
768 MB of DRAM “embedded” with the CPU, and shared between CPU and GPU
Unknown, 40nm ATI-based GPU

The source also mentions that Nintendo has been testing two versions of the console, one with 768 MB of RAM, and one with 1 GB. The RAM is also made by IBM and is embedded with the processor on the same die/silicon, which results in more bandwidth.

These were the specs that Nintendo showed developers around March 2011, so it’s unknown how close to the final specs these are, considering there’s a year until the console is scheduled for release.

When it was unveiled earlier this year, Nintendo confirmed that the Wii U would support 1080p graphics and 3D is possible as well.
I believe this news. Sounds to me like the system could be more powerful than originally thought. There's been a lot of speculation, but this info has me a little more optimistic about it's power.

Which is why it could be the 768Mb which would be around 80-90MB. I mean if they want to stream to several uPads, as well as a 1080 picture, they're gonna need a bit more edRam surely?

Not really. Anyway it sounds like someone took past rumors and made up their own stuff based on it. We've had people who either have a dev kit or know someone with one to tell us stuff or give us hints at least. The numbers I posted are more sensible/accurate.

THE:MILKMAN

Lol, do people really think this is going to be a monster, tech-wise?

I'm far from an expert, but think the writer is mixing up main ram (eg: GDDR5) with eDRAM on chip.

If this anywhere near true it would be 768MB/1GB GDDR5 main ram and 32MB eDRAM on the CPU.

jett

D-Member
Besides the whole embedded on cpu shenanigans it doesn't seem far-fetched, but the article still smells made up to me. Anyway, if true such specs would surely put the Wii-U in an unfavorable position to next-gen xbox and playstation consoles.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I believe this news. Sounds to me like the system could be more powerful than originally thought. There's been a lot of speculation, but this info has me a little more optimistic about it's power.

How underpowered was Wii U expected to be if 50% more powerful than 360 or PS3 would be more powerful than expected? :\

These specs are just lolworthy. A console with 768MB of eDRAM (with everything else in line with this) could run Samaritan at 8K, S3D @ 120+ FPS in 4 player splitscreen without breaking a sweat
and would also be about 10000 times larger than a 360 and so expensive that only the 5 richest kings in Europe could afford it

WiiU spec thread source has put the total eDram on the CPU at less than 6MB.

The techies around the area surmise it's likely something around L1 L2 at 512KB and L3 at 3MB.

This sounds more fantastical than some people thinking the WiiU will eclipse what Sony and MS come up with.

Rhod

That was at a time when Nintendo tried to compete on a tech level.

No, there was a time when the tech Nintendo felt they wanted/needed in order to create their next games was comparable to what the consumer base considered 'high tech'. EDIT: No matter what the marketing department did with that tech, the reasons for it were not to be technologically competitive for the sake of it.

WiiU will be specced - like 3DS - so that it can make beautiful looking, fresh, new Nintendo games. It will *not* be specced to make PC enthusiasts salivate (even though efficiency nerds or hardware design nerds might still salivate).

Scum

I'm not tech savvy, but is it even possible to have 768 eRAM on the same die as the CPU?? Wouldn't this make it a extremely expensive console? o_O

Fantastical

Death Prophet
As someone else stated, this sounds a lot like someone just took all the rumors and put them together. He or she even brings up the 50% more powerful rumor and then says that it is, in fact, 50% more powerful and has "a lot" of eDRAM. I don't trust this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom