• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumored Wii U Specs: Quad-core 3GHz PowerPC-based 45nm CPU, 768MB of DRAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

StevieP

Banned
Posted this in the other thread:
StevieP said:
Complete bullshit.

Was a tricore/quadcore PPE (like Xenos) in the original dev kits? More than likely.
The final silicon will be some derivative of Power 7, unless IBM was lying.

And it certainly won't have a 1 gig of embedded dram. That's ludicrous.

Not to mention the kits have reportedly evolved a bit since the March version, at least in regards to a non-hardlocking GPU.

Yeah this is fake. I trust lherre and he's repeatedly said it's a tri-core CPU. Also embedded RAM in those quantities is impossible I think. That part shows it's complete nonsense.

wrowa

No news for new threads?

Sorry, but what makes this worthy of a new thread? There are no news in here, just yet another rumour that might be plausible or maybe not. I think it was a really good thing all of the uncertain Wii U rumours stayed in one topic instead of being blowed out in new threads just to repeat the same discussions over and over again.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Not based on any likely gaming related CPU designs.

So the technology is there to have that much e-Dram but we just don't know if it's worth the price or the space? Going off of IBM's website, they can fit 1Gb on a 32nm chip. Wouldn't that equal 125MB of e-Dram? That's still a lot.

is it because youre balding

is that why you have that glorious fro in your avatar

Nah. Been doing it since it was unpopular (about 20 years now). Now just a little bit of hair on my head makes we sweat. Though inheriting the latter part from my dad causes it to always an issue. The avatar itself was just too unique to pass up.

I'll get you one day!

If it's the last thing I do!

Never. Anyone having to buy condoms for dwarfs will never beat me. ^_^

Nah. Been doing it since it was unpopular (about 20 years now). Now just a little bit of hair on my head makes we sweat. Though inheriting the latter part from my dad causes it to always an issue. The avatar itself was just too unique to pass up.

Never. Anyone having to buy condoms for dwarfs will never beat me. ^_^

I don't have to buy them, but they like them better than fun sized sandwich bags.

How did we get on this subject?

I swear it wasn't me!

redpriest

Neo Member
Because Larrabee sucks and Knights Cross, which is out on 22nm, and is the successor to Larrabee, is meant for super-computing applications, not gaming. Also, you don't want your game console's graphic chip to consume 300W of electricity (read, huge power brick, cooling requirements, RROD galore)

Respawn

Banned
embedded on the CPU, but shared between CPU/GPU? Wouldn't the GPU be the one that wanted the fastest access to ram?

and how big would 1GB of ram be anyway? a Quad core processor isn't small, and I don't think you can get 1GB on a single chip can you? Never mind with a good CPU next to it

sounds like bollocks to me

Proprietary design. Remember this isn't for socket specific consumer boards.

Orayn

Because Larrabee sucks and Knights Cross, which is out on 22nm, and is the successor to Larrabee, is meant for super-computing applications, not gaming. Also, you don't want your game console's graphic chip to consume 300W of electricity (read, huge power brick, cooling requirements, RROD galore)
But RRODing boxes that sound like vacuum cleaners and cost $600 are what TRUE GAMERS want!

TAS

I like what I'm hearing. :) I believe Nintendo will end up surprising a lot of people with Wii U. I think above raw power, Nintendo will (like GameCube) focus on efficiency. They seem to be masters of that domain. Hell, GameCube only had 24MB of IT-SRAM and look at the visuals it could produce. Pretty amazing when you think about it.

M3d10n

The IBM EDRAM seems to be rated in megabits, so this means it's actually 96MBs of DRAM? If so, it would be like a gigantic GPU-shared L3 cache then?

markot

Banned
So, MS and Ninty us IBM, is Sony sticking to Cell again >.<?

Is it me or is it weird that Intel and AMD have no cpu presence in consoles?

And I think Nintendo realise that the lack of Wiipower may have had an impact on its staying power, so they are going to try and remedy that and keep in the race this time to make third party ports more attractive.

If the are too far behind, or hell in front >.>, publishers may half ass it.

Scum

Is it absurd to think of 32MB L1 cache, 32MB L2 cache and 32MB L3 cache...?
96MB in total - 768Mb??

Funny you should mention that since Mike Capps, president of epic games, seems to really like the Wii U.
Didn't he go further to give some pretty blatant 'fish meets water' comment when asked on Twitter if Epic were interested in the Wii-U?

I mean, considering they've already ported the Unreal Engine to iOS I don't see anything stopping them developing for something like the Wii U, assuming they start making something software-wise other than Gears of War for Microsoft in the near-future.

Didn't he go further to give some pretty blatant 'fish meets water' comment when asked on Twitter if Epic were interested in the Wii-U?

I mean, considering they've already ported the Unreal Engine to iOS I don't see anything stopping them developing for something like the Wii U, assuming they start making something software-wise other than Gears of War for Microsoft in the near-future.

So you're basically saying that they have the Samaritan running at 60 fps locked on Wii U.

DAY 1.

No news for new threads?

Sorry, but what makes this worthy of a new thread? There are no news in here, just yet another rumour that might be plausible or maybe not. I think it was a really good thing all of the uncertain Wii U rumours stayed in one topic instead of being blowed out in new threads just to repeat the same discussions over and over again.

Or, post new rumors in new thread so not every Wii U rumor thread turns into a "0h, we discussed it in the megathread, get reading" farce?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
This puts it right at about PS3 and 360 level graphics. I don't think people should expect the graphics to be that much better since most of you should be smart enough to realize the extra RAM and power will be to power and utilize that unique controller. Now, I can see some instances when there may be something that will not use the screen as much but I hope some aren't setting themselves up thinking this will murder the current gen systems because it doesn't look like that by any means.

That being said, I welcome a Nintendo HD system. I just hope we get an actual controller instead that of ridiculous screen based one.

Scum

This puts it right at about PS3 and 360 level graphics. I don't think people should expect the graphics to be that much better since most of you should be smart enough to realize the extra RAM and power will be to power and utilize that unique controller. Now, I can see some instances when there may be something that will not use the screen as much but I hope some aren't setting themselves up thinking this will murder the current gen systems because it doesn't look like that by any means.

That being said, I welcome a Nintendo HD system. I just hope we get an actual controller instead that of ridiculous screen based one.
Pfft! I like the uPad! In fact, here's hoping MS and Sony come up with new controllers instead of copping out and sticking with 360 Pad SS or the Dual Shock 4.

DonMigs85

768MB of RAM on the same die as the CPU? That's gonna be pretty big. It'll probably still have a limited FSB interface to it though.

Pfft! I like the uPad! In fact, here's hoping MS and Sony come up with new controllers instead of copping out and sticking with 360 Pad SS or the Dual Shock 4.

I agree. After 3 generations of Dual Shocks I want to see something new from Sony. That boomerang controller they originally planned for the ps3 didn't look too shabby.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals

No thanks buddy. I don't want gimmick controllers being defacto. Motion and touch a part of it all you want but give me basic controller options like what we have on PS3 or 360. Nintendo has a unique tablet piece but that will only go so far with practical games. People are going to love that when it comes around due to those possibilities but the controller will never inherently better just because it's more unique.

I agree. After 3 generations of Dual Shocks I want to see something new from Sony.

Me too, just be practical. On PC, we have had mouse and KB forever and we don't really need anything else. That's not to say we couldn't use some ergonomic changes but the pads have been near perfected on PS3 and 360.

Scum

I'm sorry. Cache memory doesn't breakdown like that. Think more in a tiered fashion starting with L1 as the smallest (way smaller) and L3 as the largest. Although some CPUs even implement off-die L4 cache.

No need to be sorry. :p
I had an feeling my idea was absurd anyway. I just didn't think you could have something like 768Mb's worth of eRAM, let alone anywhere near the CPU! Seems the site was just spouting out the same rumours from months ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom