• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[rumour] AMD R9 390X, Nvidia GTX 980 Ti and Titan X Benchmarks Leaked

disap.ed

With the arrival of low-level multicore-friendly graphical APIs on PC market, I have zero wish to upgrade my FX8350. It will remain highly viable for years and years.

I have the feeling CPU is generally a non-issue nowadays and will only become "worse" with low level APIs as you wrote. I bought my Ivy Bridge i5 in 2012 and don't see any reason to update any time soon, maybe if AMD surprises us (in a positive way) with the Zen architecture next year.

With the arrival of low-level multicore-friendly graphical APIs on PC market, I have zero wish to upgrade my FX8350. It will remain highly viable for years and years.

Hopefully majority of the AAA games will adopt DX12.

I often play games with a guy who just bought one of those (well he got it in a bargain, 90 euros for the cpu + a mobo) and he was complaining about unplayable (<<<< 30 fps) framerates in dirty bomb.

Your framerate in dying light, ns2, ac unity (shit game I know:p) can't be too hot either...

I think it's (REALLY) great that dx12 is going to help cpu efficiency (we need it lol, where else are we going to get more cpu performance... certainly not from the hardware side), but it's a one time boost man...

Do you just want game mechanics to stall forever at what a current cpu can accomplish? Imagine if games were still stuck at what an xbox 360 cpu could do...

No natural selection 2, no planetside 2, no dying light, no arma 3, no 25 tiles cities skylines

Games vs hardware performance is a chicken egg thing you know, as long as the hardware isn't there to enable devs to do more then ofcourse the demand for more cpu performance isn't going to be there from the software that comes out...
What kind of fool would make a game that requires twice the cpu performance of a haswell i7 to get 60 fps? Even if they just started making the game today and didn't expect to finish until 2017... there is no such cpu on the horizon they'd be fucking themselves over completely.

And as for your specific cpu, relying on developers to use all 8 cores for every game is not realistic, you are going to continue to get fucked on certain games in the future (games that might have amazing gameplay) with the horrible IPC of that cpu you have.

I know I've mentioned this before to you, but I have a phenom II (similar per core performance to yours) and I'm constantly painfully reminded that it's not cutting it whenever a game comes out that doesn't FULLY support multiple cores. Many games will put audio on a seperate thread and a few other things, but then they'll have one main thread for all the game logic and rendering, so despite using 3-4 cores, 85 percent of the load is on that one specific core, and that is where my cpu completely shits the bed, and yours will too because it doesn't matter if you have 3 or 256 cores at that point.

We should all ask for more IPC (and more cores on intel cpus) as gamers.
You gain nothing from damage controlling it.

Hopefully majority of the AAA games will adopt DX12.

Yeah, it seems like we're entering a lull in terms of CPU demands. Unless you're playing PC exclusive CPU intensive games like RTS, DX12 and Vulkan and the anemic CPUs in consoles combined means that you can probably ride whatever CPU you have now into the sunset-- provided that CPU is "good enough" now.

Multiplatform games are really going to be easy to run in the future.

You really should get a better CPU than that though.

But isn't that the rumor though? Only the 390s are new, the rest are rebranded 200s. Which were already mostly rebranded 7000s?

There are different rumors and some of them are contradicting each other. For example the latest rumor had the board power of the R9 370 series at 110-130W, which seems to low for it to be a rebranded Pitcairn (/Curacao), but also shouldn't be Tonga. So maybe there is more than one new chip. + Pitcairn/Curacao desperately needs a new chip, it's still the very first GCN gen (HD7850/7870), which means it lacks proper support for stuff like VSR, DX12(.1?) etc.

tuxfool

Banned
I was unhappy with the drivers of my hd4870 and 6870 and the lack of features, but at least they've finally sorted the feature issue out with downsampling support on driver level (superior to nvidia's downsampling too from what I've heard).

VSR as of the moment works only with the hardware scaler, they said the next driver release would make it more flexible. However, it is generally considered a more elegant implementation whereby you only have to enable it and the driver downsamples automatically based on the selected resolution.

tuxfool

Banned
But isn't that the rumor though? Only the 390s are new, the rest are rebranded 200s. Which were already mostly rebranded 7000s?

There is a rumour that the 380x is a tweaked 290x. Most of the gpu remains the same but, it is tweaked to gcn 1.2 and is more efficient.

Well, for all its worth AMD could have a trumph card just like the 9700pro, a milestone card capable of balacing the market again.

IF PRICED CORRECTLY.

Now I'm even more interested in hearing more about the 360 and 370.

My inner pessimist combined with them calling the 390x an 'ultra enthusiast' card makes me think this means they want to have a go at a 'titan' brand too

If they make a new lineup they can build a gap filler between the 290x and the 4000sp + HMB 390x performance, call that the 390x, then call the 390x something stupid like 'fuckyougivemoney' price it at 800+ euros.

If the 290x became the 380x they couldn't do this as they wouldn't have a gap filler.

tuxfool

Banned
My inner pessimist combined with them calling the 390x an 'ultra enthusiast' card makes me think this means they want to have a go at a 'titan' brand too

If they make a new lineup they can build a gap filler between the 290x and the 4000sp + HMB 390x performance, call that the 390x, then call the 390x something stupid like 'fuckyougivemoney' price it at 800+ euros.

If the 290x became the 380x they couldn't do this as they wouldn't have a gap filler.

To be honest, I doubt that HBM is a very cost effective method. As soon as it starts appearing in more product lines the cost of production will drop.

Momentary

Banned
I really hope these cards blow anything NVIDIA has out of the water. But all this 28nm needs to to disappear.

I was really hopeful that Samsung/GlobalFoundries would help expedite the manufacturing process since they hate NVIDIA with the passion of a million suns.

That sucks, I had hoped for DDR4 only to drive prices on that down. I need my 32 GB upgrade :p

Anyway, I'm really happy with my Haswell-E purchase, it should last a good long time the way things are going. Just a bit pissed about missing the USB 3.1/C train.

Then you don't have to worry. It supports DDR3L so wast amounts of enthusiast grade ddr3 won't help one bit :D

tuxfool

Banned
Anyway, I'm really happy with my Haswell-E purchase, it should last a good long time the way things are going. Just a bit pissed about missing the USB 3.1/C train.

The type C connector is a seperate spec to USB 3.1. So you can use it (with adapters).

DieH@rd

Banned
http://videocardz.com/55146/amd-radeon-r9-390x-possible-specifications-and-performance-leaked

50-60% over the R9 290X is lame, I was expecting 80% at least.

Oh well. I'm not really disappointed because it's still really good, just... whatever, AMD. I'm still buying one.

What? Name one GPU series that jumped 80% over its predecessor.

They are still sticking to 28nm, and they are staying at the same power envelope as 290X. I count this as miraculous.

What?

They are still sticking to 28nm, and they are staying at the same power envelope as 290X. I count this as miraculous.

Miracles are relative. Obviously this is better than anything they've done before and after the R9 285 it seems like AMD is coming out of nowhere with a massive improvement, and it is... but it's the first HBM GPU. It should be in an entirely different plane of existence compared to everything else.

No doubt this will be faster than the Titan X by some margin, but the fact that the Titan X comes close when it shouldn't is dumb. This GPU should be dropping Nvidia on their ass so hard the resulting impact knocks California into the Pacific. And it isn't.

Well, I don't want to run my mouth too much before we get to compare these two new GPUs more closely.

funo

the German online outlet Heise received some new information at the Cebit (German high tech convention) today.
I find them highly reliable and I've heard similar news from a friend working at Cebit.

- April was rumored for release of 380(X) but now partners say it seems highly unlikely
- only the 390 and the 390X might come with the new HBM.
- 390X supposed to need 300 Watts+

Prices and Performance

- R9 390X ~ 700$+
- R9 390 ~ 700$
- R9 380X (faster than 290X) ~ 400$
- R9 380 (faster than 290) ~ 330$
- R9 370 (approx. between R9 270X and R9 285) ~200$
- R7 360X ~ 150$
- R7 360 ~ 110$

source (German): Heise CEBIT News

DieH@rd

Banned
the German online outlet Heise received some new information at the Cebit (German high tech convention) today.
I find them highly reliable and I've heard similar things from other companies currently at Cebit.

- April was rumored for release of 380(X) but now partners say it seems highly unlikely

Prices and Performance

- R9 390X ~ 700$+
- R9 390 ~ 700$
- R7 360X ~ 150$
- R7 360 ~ 110$

Shame that 380/380X wont get HBM. That is the price range that I aim for for my next upgrade. They also report that 390X will come with air cooling, but that premium models will have exotic cooling.

edit - this is also threadworthy news I think

Those supposed prices there for midrange are basically the same we have right now. And the same performance profile that has existed for about 3 years now.

viveks86

Interesting... almost everyone is talking about a delay in launch. Is it really related to bringing out the 8 GB variant?

Also 300+ watts? o_O

riflen

Miracles are relative. Obviously this is better than anything they've done before and after the R9 285 it seems like AMD is coming out of nowhere with a massive improvement, and it is... but it's the first HBM GPU. It should be in an entirely different plane of existence compared to everything else.

No doubt this will be faster than the Titan X by some margin, but the fact that the Titan X comes close when it shouldn't is dumb. This GPU should be dropping Nvidia on their ass so hard the resulting impact knocks California into the Pacific. And it isn't.

Well, I don't want to run my mouth too much before we get to compare these two new GPUs more closely.

HBM on 28nm is not going to have the impact you seem to be expecting. AMD simply cannot pair the giant memory bandwidth improvement with a similar improvement to shading power.

Personally, I think the Titan X will only be the fastest GPU until Fiji arrives, at which point Fiji will perform better at 4K UHD. The two will trade blows at lower resolutions where GM200's 336GB/s memory bandwidth is sufficient to avoid holding up GPU throughput.
Of course, by that time (June), Nvidia will be ready to release GTX 985 or Titan S or whatever name they want to give to their $700 GM200 variant.

wachie

Interesting. This is starting to look more convincing. Impressive fake if it isn't true. Has there ever been an 80% jump?
Not on the same node.

I find them highly reliable and I've heard similar news from a friend working at Cebit.

Prices and Performance

- R9 390X ~ 700$+
- R9 390 ~ 700$
- R7 360X ~ 150$
- R7 360 ~ 110$

That is rather disappointing.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
So much for the $599 R9 390x price dream. Where did that rumour come from?

Hasney

Yowch. If it really does come in at $700 for the 390, it might confirm a 980 purchase unless NVidia bring out an improved Ti or 1xxx series.

So with these leaked benchmarks emerging, what do you folks think the odds are that nVidia releases the 980Ti alongside the Titan X? Or is the 980Ti still likely to be at least a few months away?

cirrhosis

So with these leaked benchmarks emerging, what do you folks think the odds are that nVidia releases the 980Ti alongside the Titan X? Or is the 980Ti still likely to be at least a few months away?

We'll find out tomorrow as Titan X NDAs expire Tuesday. I don't think the 980Ti exists but would not be surprised if I'm proved wrong.

Älg

tuxfool

Banned

Nvidia isn't going to cannibalize the market for the Titan X by not upselling to people who would be satisfied with a 980Ti.

Top Bottom