• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: Diddy Kong Racing 2 became Excitebots; Monster Games working on DKR2 for WiiU

Durock

Well for one, I don't think we've ever actually had a Trophy in Smash Bros that represents anything related to Diddy Kong Racing, have we? No Tiptup, Timber, Wizpig, nothing.

Those characters are likely owned by Rare. Only exceptions being Diddy and Krunch.

Hatchtag

Banned
Pretty good find Gonzo. I'd be willing to wager that they're from DKR2, regardless of its status of being scrapped or not.

Guevara

Lawyers from Microsoft and Nintendo. Sitting around a conference table in an office in Redmond. Negotiating the rights to fucking Timber, Pipsy, and Taj the Genie. And talks breakdown because Microsoft demands too much money. Just lol.

And as of the DS Port, Tiny Kong. Nintendo supplied her new model to Rare.

Don't forget about my girl Dixie Kong. Based on what we know, I'm going to make a hypothetical character roster out of boredom.

DK Universe Characters:

Diddy Kong
Dixie Kong
Tiny Kong
Lanky Kong
Krunch
Krusha
Klump
Kalypso

"Forgotten" Nintendo All-Stars:

Birdo
Bowser Jr.
Dillon
Mallo
Rusty
Barbara the Bat
Takamaru (Might not fit the visual style. Potentially replace him with something more cutesy)
Prince Sablé

King K. Rool replaces Wizpig as the final boss. The game is released to universal critical acclaim and world peace is achieved.

virtualS

Sounds great and makes sense. Could be a big game for Nintendo... MK8 lifted WiiU sales of I'm not mistaken. There's certainly demand for a DKR sequel.

I hope they go all out technically if true. I would like ONE Western developed game to show me what the WiiU is capable of in a AAA game. Don't think ZombieU counts. Tropical Freeze was beautiful but Retro adhered to a template of sorts. Alarm bells rang in my head when a I read that Nintendo 'approved' fur shading on the Kongs even though it was 'expensive' (financially) to implement. High Res textures in NFS were nice... but come on!

Mudron

thats_cool_burn_after_reading.gif

bon

Now that Super Smash Bros. for Wii U is out, I'd like to know where this trophy came from:

FdRlCbl.png

Is it far fetched to believe that the model was ripped from the alleged Diddy Kong Racing sequel? Why would they specifically make a new model for Winky of all things? Just some food for thought.

This seems like kind of a stretch honestly. They probably just wanted a few more trophies for the DK series so somebody whipped up models for the animal friends.

KingV

This sounds very not exciting. We already have MK8, why resurrect its worsen twin from the N64? I'd rather see something unique for Wii U. Heck I'd rather see a by the numbers punch out.

Now that Super Smash Bros. for Wii U is out, I'd like to know where this trophy came from:

FdRlCbl.png

Is it far fetched to believe that the model was ripped from the alleged Diddy Kong Racing sequel? Why would they specifically make a new model for Winky of all things? Just some food for thought.

I think it would be pretty cool if Winky and some of the animal buddies could be racers in the sequel (assuming true). It's a pretty cool way to make use of them and the DKR cast is essentially a bunch of random animals anyway sans Banjo/Conker.

I would absolutely love to have the original cast though as well, although unlikely. Taj and T.T are awesome characters.

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
Sounds great and makes sense. Could be a big game for Nintendo... MK8 lifted WiiU sales of I'm not mistaken. There's certainly demand for a DKR sequel.

I hope they go all out technically if true. I would like ONE Western developed game to show me what the WiiU is capable of in a AAA game. Don't think ZombieU counts. Tropical Freeze was beautiful but Retro adhered to a template of sorts. Alarm bells rang in my head when a I read that Nintendo 'approved' fur shading on the Kongs even though it was 'expensive' (financially) to implement. High Res textures in NFS were nice... but come on!
Heh. The fur shading is very gpu expensive. There is a reason you still haven't seen fur shading like it in other games.

Diddy Kong Racing is legendary. A racing companion to Mario Kart 8 that has boss fights and secret keys and planes and a hub world could be awesome. But...

I don't know if they should even mess with making Donkey Kong Racing at this point. I'm worried it will be like the Yoshi's Island sequels that don't get the care and talent they deserve.

Maybe if it was one of nintendo's internal A-teams I'd feel okay about it. Or Retro even...since they're elite tier and they've obviously got a good handle on DK in general.

Diddy Kong Racing is legendary. A racing companion to Mario Kart 8 that has boss fights and secret keys and planes and a hub world could be awesome. But...

I don't know if they should even mess with making Donkey Kong Racing at this point. I'm worried it will be like the Yoshi's Island sequels that don't get the care and talent they deserve.

Maybe if it was one of nintendo's internal A-teams I'd feel okay about it. Or Retro even...since they're elite tier and they've obviously got a good handle on DK in general.

I think Monster has proven they know how to make a good racing game.

Man, Diddy Kong Racing was awesome. I'd be thrilled if a Wii U sequel was in the works. I can't even imagine how many hours I spent playing the original. Hopefully the rumour is true!

Hatchtag

Banned

Monster Games has made better racers recently than any of Nintendo's internal teams though.

Gartooth

The concept was really really out there for a Diddy Kong Racing game, but it is still disappointing. Granted a game of that scope was probably too big for Monster, and at the moment Nintendo seems to be relying on them as a port team.

Phoenixus

Hate to bump this thread but considering that Monster Games are working on Xenoblade 3D, I think the dream might be dead.

I very highly doubt it took the combined total of all Monster Games staffers over two years to port a game with little change. Porting experience of DKCR would've narrowed down the workload too.

_Clash_

Yeh,

I don't think Monster are out of the equation for diddy kong because they're porting Xeno.

I don't know diddy king racing 2 would feel right.

And a smart business decision.

I very highly doubt it took the combined total of all Monster Games staffers over two years to port a game with little change. Porting experience of DKCR would've narrowed down the workload too.

1. They've probably only been working on it for a year at this point, as they helped Retro with Tropical Freeze after they finished porting DKCR.

2. They are a team of 25 people. No way they are working two projects at once, especially not a fully fledged Wii U title.

sfried

Didn't Nintendo just establish in the Direct that Monster Games is handling the porting job for Xenoblade Chronicles on New3DS?

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I think the Winky/Expresso Trophies in Smash 4 might be old, unused models from perhaps that Wii Donkey Kong Racer, they're clearly not in the new Returns-style.

Didn't Nintendo just establish in the Direct that Monster Games is handling the porting job for Xenoblade Chronicles on New3DS?

Shulk confirmed for Diddy Kong Racing 2!

Evenflow

The only way I want Monster to be making this is Diddy Kong Excite Racing or Diddy Kong Monster Truck Racing.... or better yet Excite Truck U lol, seriously Excite Truck was just so damn good. Leave the memory of Diddy Kong Racing with Rare alone untarnished in the past, 2 Kart racers is overkill from Nintendo, MK8 is more than enough. Let Monster shine at what they do best (EXCITE!)

I guess MS/Rare will never let go of Tiptup since he also appeared in the Banjo games.

What's really sad is that Nintendo and Microsoft had a healthy business relationship the first few years after the buyout. MS allowed RARE to keep working on Donkey Kong and Banjo and they even had Bungie begin work on a Halo game for DS. Unfortunately Nintendo had to fuck things up because they didn't want to share and decided to punch the gift hoarse in the mouth by blocking a remake of Goldeneye from being released.

I don't blame MS for telling Nintendo to fuck off now. They had it coming.

Well Excitebots was an amazing game. it was all kinds of crazy but comming off the surprisingly good Excite Truck it was definately the right step from a gameplay perspective .

Hate to bump this thread but considering that Monster Games are working on Xenoblade 3D, I think the dream might be dead.

Ayyy.

Anyway, this was one of my favorite rumors so that part in the direct was a little disappointing for me, but I'll get over it haha.

MrPanic

This thread just reminds me of how much I wanted Excitebots, just to find out they would never release the game in Europe. Still hurts a little, that game looked like fun in its purest form.

I really don't care who's driving the damn vehicles, just give me more of Excite-series high pace racing.

Tuck

What's really sad is that Nintendo and Microsoft had a healthy business relationship the first few years after the buyout. MS allowed RARE to keep working on Donkey Kong and Banjo and they even had Bungie begin work on a Halo game for DS. Unfortunately Nintendo had to fuck things up because they didn't want to share and decided to punch the gift hoarse in the mouth by blocking a remake of Goldeneye from being released.

I don't think halo DS was Microsoft sanctioned. Just a pitch that never made it through.

prag16

Banned

Wait, what?

And are you saying Rare was still working on stuff for Nintendo AFTER the MSFT buyout?? But that was stopped only after Nintendo blocked the GE HD rerelease?

Got a source for all this?

Ridley327

Wait, what?

And are you saying Rare was still working on stuff for Nintendo AFTER the MSFT buyout?? But that was stopped only after Nintendo blocked the GE HD rerelease?

Rare continued to make GBA and DS games, including handling the port of Diddy Kong Racing themselves. Since MS didn't have a hand in any mobile development at the time, there was no conflict of interest present.

Oregano

Wait, what?

It's true. RARE developed Viva Pinata DS and Diddy Kong Racing DS. They had been owned by MSFT for a while by that point.

From the sounds of it the GE HD rerelease thing wasn't exactly a good deal.

prag16

Banned
Rare continued to make GBA and DS games, including handling the port of Diddy Kong Racing themselves. Since MS didn't have a hand in any mobile development at the time, there was no conflict of interest present.

It's true. RARE developed Viva Pinata DS and Diddy Kong Racing DS. They had been owned by MSFT for a while by that point.

Wow, didn't know that. Interesting.

BadRamen

I would kill for It's Mr. Pants on 3DS eShop. Nintendo would be FOOLS to say no to Monster Games doing this. It is a port and a Rare IP, both things Nintendo has seemed okay with delegating to MG. FOOL PROOF LOGIC

Ridley327

I maintain that it's pretty hard to not justify Nintendo's actions in all of it. They were definitely getting the short end of the stick with that deal, and since MS wasn't going to let Rare and 4J Studios work on an equivalent remake for the Wii, there was no real option for them to pursue other than calling the whole thing off. It would have been one thing if they were planning on doing more of a Banjo-Kazooie XBLA release for GE007, but this was decidedly not that.

Top Bottom