• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: Diddy Kong Racing 2 became Excitebots; Monster Games working on DKR2 for WiiU

Oregano

Wow, didn't know that. Interesting.

It wasn't just Rare either. Age of Empires, Mech Assault and Blue Dragon are all MSFT owned franchises that appeared on the DS.

Blue Dragon Plus was co-developed by Brownie Brown as well, which was/is a Nintendo first party.

EDIT:
I maintain that it's pretty hard to not justify Nintendo's actions in all of it. They were definitely getting the short end of the stick with that deal, and since MS wasn't going to let Rare and 4J Studios work on an equivalent remake for the Wii, there was no real option for them to pursue other than calling the whole thing off. It would have been one thing if they were planning on doing more of a Banjo-Kazooie XBLA release for GE007, but this was decidedly not that.

Yeah, wasn't the offer a full remake on XBLA and a bog-standard VC release on Wii?

Monster must have a huge staff if they've been working on this, as well as porting Donkey Kong Country Returns 3d and Xenoblade 3d...oh, wait...

It's just amazing how much this niche title gets a sequel rumored. Like, so many!

Heh, niche. What an equally ridiculous comment.

xGqJP4z.png

prag16

Banned
Yeah, wasn't the offer a full remake on XBLA and a bog-standard VC release on Wii?

Yeah, this is what I remember. It's a shame if this affected MSFT/Nintendo's relationship in terms of ongoing mobile support (which I didn't realize was even a factor until today), but it really WAS a very lopsided deal in MSFT's favor with regard to GE.

Just don't see why Nintendo would need another game like that in their lineup. Much bigger fish to fry, much bigger gaps to fill.

The same reason why they're releasing Mario Party 10 even though Nintendo Land, Game & Wario, and Wii Party U already exist. Nintendo doesn't care about genre diversity, and frankly, when it comes to racing games, they shouldn't. The market is big enough for both of them. It's also big enough for F-Zero, but that's another discussion altogether.

I just honestly don't see what Nintendo gain by having another vastly similar game like that in their lineup. Did DKR do something especially profound MK didn't? I guess it would make sense since Diddy Kong didn't raise his ugly little generic head in MK8, but I don't see it something Nintendo would devote time to.

To me it's like if they released a Smash Bros-esque game but just with Mario characters. Why bother?
You guys do realize that you're trying to talk sense with MasterBalls, right? Trust me, it's not possible.

Is this still about Jak II... when did I hurt you dude?

The same reason why they're releasing Mario Party 10 even though Nintendo Land, Game & Wario, and Wii Party U already exist. Nintendo doesn't care about genre diversity, and frankly, when it comes to racing games, they shouldn't. The market is big enough for both of them. It's also big enough for F-Zero, but that's another discussion altogether.

Well when they're releasing another Starfox game I should really just shut my mouth about sales...

Pyrokai

Wait, what?

And are you saying Rare was still working on stuff for Nintendo AFTER the MSFT buyout?? But that was stopped only after Nintendo blocked the GE HD rerelease?

Got a source for all this?

Tha back of the box is nuts for DKRDS. It has the MS Game Studios, Rare, Nintendo, and THQ logos. I'm surprised the universe didn't implode.

Lemme ask ya'all something.

Why did Nintendo release Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, when they already had New Super Mario Bros. U? Why need two 2D platformers on the same console?

Here's the best DKR2 roster (with inspiration from Gonzo)

Diddy Kong
Dixie Kong
Cranky Kong
Donkey Kong
Wrinkly Kong
Funky Kong
Candy Kong
Tiny Kong
Lanky Kong
Chunky Kong
Donkey Kong Jr.
Stanley the Bugman
Krusha
King K. Rool
Kalypso (what can I say? I like her style bro)
Tiki Tong

Guests

Mallo (Pushmo)
Rusty (Rusy's Real Deal Baseball)
Mario (Super Mario Bros.)
Wario (Wario Land)
Takamaru (Mysterious Castle Murasame) - He'd fit the style like Link fit in Mario Kart
Barbara the Bat (Jam with the Band, etc.)
Primeape (Pokemon)
Bonkers (Kirby)
Isabelle (Animal Crossing)
Max (Advance Wars)
Chibi-Robo (Chibi-Robo)
Lip (Panel de Pon)

Just don't see why Nintendo would need another game like that in their lineup. Much bigger fish to fry, much bigger gaps to fill.
Nintendo is playing it safe cos no-one's buying Wii U. They need to milk the current owners for as much as they can. Look how many 2D platformer a there are and will be. The current audience will continue to buy these games. It's the reason we're getting these Wii 'VC' downloads. Practically no cost to them but lots of money to be made when they desperately need to turn a profit.

As a gamer, I very much agree with you - I'd rather have them fill in gaps.

Nintendo is playing it safe cos no-one's buying Wii U. They need to milk the current owners for as much as they can. Look how many 2D platformer a there are and will be. The current audience will continue to buy these games. It's the reason we're getting these Wii 'VC' downloads. Practically no cost to them but lots of money to be made when they desperately need to turn a profit.

As a gamer, I very much agree with you - I'd rather have them fill in gaps.

As I've said, Starfox revival doesn't scream "playing it safe".

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
What does this even mean? They look just as "cartoony" as the other DK characters.

What I mean is that they look like the Rare versions, just translated to 3D, and not like a Retro-design. Compare them to how Rambi looks now.

That's why I don't think they're made post-Returns, I stand by the assumption they're left over from Barrel Blast and were cut but the models were used here, like how Brawl used the left-over Kirby GCN models.

What I mean is that they look like the Rare versions, just translated to 3D, and not like a Retro-design. Compare them to how Rambi looks now.

That's why I don't think they're made post-Returns, I stand by the assumption they're left over from Barrel Blast and were cut but the models were used here, like how Brawl used the left-over Kirby GCN models.

It's likely. But also there is no "Returns style", DK, Diddy, and all have had the same canon design since King of Swing when Cranky and company got redesigned, but DK and Diddy were the few to still have the same design that originated in Mario Party 4 (DK) and Toadstool Tour (Diddy).

Now my main worry about anything influence by Retro becoming permanent is Diddy's voice. For some dumb reason, they saw fit to raise the pitch of his voice in Returns and Tropical Freeze. His proper voice is just fine (he's been voiced by Katsumi Suzuki since Power Tennis).

Mario Golf: World Tour still gave him his proper voice, but BIZARRELY also his DK64 voice clips mixed in for the first time since Double Dash a decade prior. DK didn't have the same, all of his clips IIRC in the game were all-new (he's been voiced by Takashi Nagasako since Power Tennis also).

maxcriden

Here's the best DKR2 roster (with inspiration from Gonzo)

Guests

Mallo (Pushmo)
Rusty (Rusy's Real Deal Baseball)
Mario (Super Mario Bros.)
Wario (Wario Land)
Takamaru (Mysterious Castle Murasame) - He'd fit the style like Link fit in Mario Kart
Barbara the Bat (Jam with the Band, etc.)
Primeape (Pokemon)
Bonkers (Kirby)
Isabelle (Animal Crossing)
Max (Advance Wars)
Chibi-Robo (Chibi-Robo)
Lip (Panel de Pon)

Amazing list, but you forgot someone awesome:

BTW, how do Primeape, Mario and Wario fit in? I suppose Primeape and Bonkers are there because of their tendency to monkey around? ;)

In the last direct nintendo said monster games was working on porting Xenoblade chronicles to the new 3ds as they did a good job of doing donkey kong country returns from wii to 3ds.

Pizza

Man if Diddy Kong Racing *is* a thing and *if* it's grabbing Nintendo B-listers then I'd love to see Tom Nook get some love, as he's been overshadowed by the villager and Isabelle

Slavik81

2) Sales for 2007′s Diddy Kong Racing DS did not live up to Nintendo’s expectations. Although the game would sell over 1 million units worldwide, it was a huge drop from the 4-5 million that Diddy Kong Racing sold on the Nintendo 64.
I love DKR, but the DS release was a downright terrible port. They changed the race starts in some rather ill-advised ways just to fill in the checkbox on microphone and touch-screen usage. It deserved the sales it got.

Zubz

Banned
As I've said, Starfox revival doesn't scream "playing it safe".

Eh. We barely know anything about it and it's coming out this year. I feel like it's a budget-ish game, relatively. Star Fox is, like, upper-middle tier for Nintendo, so doing a new one after years of people saying they rely too heavily on Mario & Zelda; it screams "Pretty Safe" to me.

Also, surprised everyone's rosters are filled with DK Characters. I'd just add Dixie because she's Diddy's own sidekick, and maybe Krunch for nostalgia, or K. Rool because he's forgotten now, too. Everyone else would be from a new series (Mallo, Dillon, Inkling, Monita, Wonder Red), a dormant/small-time series (Takamaru, Mike Jones, Muddy Mole, Duck Hunt Dog, Chibi-Robo, Boulder, maybe Captain Falcon), or a sidekick from a major series (Bandanna Dee, Anthony Higgs, Mona, with either Luigi or Waluigi as the "final boss," since one's the "King of the Second Bananas," and the other's a knock-off of him).

Besides, it works for the whole "Pitch Amiibos for series that wouldn't get one otherwise." Nintendo can easily juggle this, MK8, and F-Zero if need be, even if MK took planes & submersibles and the anti-grav mechanic. Honestly, even if they were doing this but dropped it, the Amiibo aspect should be tempting. Porting Xenoblade shouldn't be too hard, especially because Monster did it once with DKCR, so they could pick it back up immediately after Xenoblade.

hate when this thread gets bumped :(

I doubt Monster is working on this now that we know they're on Xenoblade. Maybe Retro is working on it, but I doubt it sadly.

In anyway event, I look forward to the Xenoblade Chronicles x Diddy Kong Racing rumours xD

Top Bottom